We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Triumph of Donald Trump

• Please log in to reply
5871 replies to this topic

#21 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

"Arrogant, intolerant and dangerous — these are all traits that a sizeable majority of global respondents said describe the U.S. president. On the other hand, 55 percent see him as a strong leader, while 39 percent say that he is charismatic.

Only about one in four people stated that they found Trump "well-qualified to be president"....

http://www.npr.org/s...ontent=20170627

• Arturo likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#22 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

The White House’s international credibility collapses in Trump era

06/27/17 10:03 AMUpdated 06/27/17 01:37 PM

6.27.17.png?itok=-Daz5-7N

"Although he has only been in office a few months, Donald Trump’s presidency has had a major impact on how the world sees the United States. Trump and many of his key policies are broadly unpopular around the globe, and ratings for the U.S. have declined steeply in many nations....

The sharp decline in how much global public trusts the U.S. president on the world stage is especially pronounced among some of America’s closest allies in Europe and Asia, as well as neighboring Mexico and Canada. Across the 37 nations polled,

Trump gets higher marks than Obama in only two countries: Russia and Israel....

http://www.msnbc.com...id=sm_fb_maddow

• Arturo, Bogie56, ChristineHoard and 1 other like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#23 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,662 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and not calling you a moron, despite your blatantly moronic comment about Planned Parenthood in elementary schools. However, if you really think Planned Parenthood wants to open clinics for first graders, then, yeah, you're a moron. 

And what the hell are you talking about with the math question? Who brought up trig or calculus? No, I don't think people who are not proficient in either are automatically morons. In fact, I know people who are proficient in both but are highly moronic in other aspects of human understanding and the human condition.

As for "obsessing over social injustices"...you do that every single day here, or are you that un-self aware? What do you think you are doing when you start wailing and gnashing your tooth about abortion, gay marriage, the denigration of the white Protestant male and other typical conservative victimization?

good points...I'm given' ya that because I have been mispelling denigration. :)

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#24 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,407 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

Right.

#25 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

I dont see why anyone would want to appear with them for a 2nd season (if there is one) with their dismal help record, but I guess hope springs eternal....(Reasonable Doubt).

I watch the Disappeared show too. In some cases the people have mental issues, so it partly explained (and I assume they are dead) but sometimes the people appear normal and there is no good reason to explain why they disappear. An unsettling show...

The premise of the show is something of a fake because even if they think the

person might have been wrongly convicted, there's nothing they can do about

it. Yes, some of the disappeared folks are likely dead, but others you have to

wonder about. A little twilight zoneish with no resolution.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#26 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,407 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

I believe it was just the last show of the season. Of course there's not much

they can do. They're not in a position to do much legally, so it is a bit depressing

that the viewer is left with no solution. I prefer the shows where someone is found

to be innocent after a (usually long) legal process. It's a bit like the Disappeared

program. You're left wondering what happened with no closure at hand.

I dont see why anyone would want to appear with them for a 2nd season (if there is one) with their dismal help record, but I guess hope springs eternal....(Reasonable Doubt).

I watch the Disappeared show too. In some cases the people have mental issues, so it partly explained (and I assume they are dead) but sometimes the people appear normal and there is no good reason to explain why they disappear. An unsettling show...

#27 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Yes, I knew it was Maria something. Didnt realize that was the last show. Too bad.  Hopefully, it will return again. Yeah, I think Zahn must've demanded more airtime or something. Her interviews dominate the episodes now. I watch that Reasonable Doubt show, but I think it's rather cruel. They get people's hopes up, then at the end, they tell them they have NO CHANCE. I saw that Windshield Wiper Fluid Wife on another show. Only one episode, did they give them some hope. (They hired a detective! LOL)

I believe it was just the last show of the season. Of course there's not much

they can do. They're not in a position to do much legally, so it is a bit depressing

that the viewer is left with no solution. I prefer the shows where someone is found

to be innocent after a (usually long) legal process. It's a bit like the Disappeared

program. You're left wondering what happened with no closure at hand.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#28 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

from an intellectual standpoint, I probably am a moron but what is a moron but a mentally healthy person who has not spent every waking moment of his life obsessing over perceived social injustices that he knows beforehand he could do little to change even if he did waste time obsessing over them?

how many of us know absolutely nothing about advanced trigonometry or calculus? are we morons for that reason?

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and not calling you a moron, despite your blatantly moronic comment about Planned Parenthood in elementary schools. However, if you really think Planned Parenthood wants to open clinics for first graders, then, yeah, you're a moron. 

And what the hell are you talking about with the math question? Who brought up trig or calculus? No, I don't think people who are not proficient in either are automatically morons. In fact, I know people who are proficient in both but are highly moronic in other aspects of human understanding and the human condition.

As for "obsessing over social injustices"...you do that every single day here, or are you that un-self aware? What do you think you are doing when you start wailing and gnashing your tooth about abortion, gay marriage, the denigration of the white Protestant male and other typical conservative victimization?

• mr6666, Arturo, Bogie56 and 3 others like this

#29 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

So him giving pay-outs to his family from a charity fund is about him being pro-life? Huh?

And why shouldn't you believe that Planned Parenthood would like outlets in elementary schools? I don't know, because you're not a complete moron? I mean, you could prove me wrong there, but I don't you're that addle-pated! 

from an intellectual standpoint, I probably am a moron but what is a moron but a mentally healthy person who has not spent every waking moment of his life obsessing over perceived social injustices that he knows beforehand he could do little to change even if he did waste time obsessing over them?

how many of us know absolutely nothing about advanced trigonometry or calculus? are we morons for that reason?

:huh:  :D

#30 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

isn't this really all about sekulow being against abortion rights and same-sex marriage? why shouldn't I believe that planned parenthood wouldn't like to have outlets in elementary schools? 

So him giving pay-outs to his family from a charity fund is about him being pro-life? Huh?

And why shouldn't you believe that Planned Parenthood would like outlets in elementary schools? I don't know, because you're not a complete moron? I mean, you could prove me wrong there, but I don't you're that addle-pated! 

• Arturo likes this

#31 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,230 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

Supreme Court court allowed parts of travel ban to take effect.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ourt/index.html

06003502.jpg

• NipkowDisc likes this

#32 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

Disgraceful. But this is what Trump and his friend do.

Trump lawyer's firm steered millions in donations to family members, files show

Documents obtained by the Guardian reveal Jay Sekulow approved plans to push people to give to his Christian nonprofit, which then paid big sums to his family

https://www.theguard...kulow-donations

isn't this really all about sekulow being against abortion rights and same-sex marriage? why shouldn't I believe that planned parenthood wouldn't like to have outlets in elementary schools? :P

#33 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,179 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

Disgraceful. But this is what Trump and his friend do.

Trump lawyer's firm steered millions in donations to family members, files show

Documents obtained by the Guardian reveal Jay Sekulow approved plans to push people to give to his Christian nonprofit, which then paid big sums to his family

https://www.theguard...kulow-donations

• mr6666 and Arturo like this

#34 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

Putin is NOT the devil. That type of view of foreign leaders is what US conservative politicians typically do to rally the ignorant masses; demonize a foreign leader or country in order to justify US actions.

Well the equivalent of selling out your country to our biggest adversary, in order to benefit you personally, is the political equivalent of selling your soul to the devil. There is no better or more appropriate way to describe it. The analogy falls apart because Trump doesn't have a soul, having sold it decades ago.
  • mr6666 likes this

#35 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,059 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

Newsflash: Putin is not your average foreign leader.  He has his opposition, judges and reporters assassinated.  Something Trump admires I'm sure.

I didn't say Putin was an average foreign leader either:   my point stands;    Demonizing foreign leaders is for the unsophisticated.     

PS:  Obama understood this.   It is Trump that I'm worried about with his ignorant black and white views of foreign leaders  (e.g. fantastic one week,  very bad hombres the next!).    

#36 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Putin is NOT the devil.    That type of view of foreign leaders is what US conservative politicians typically do to rally the ignorant masses;   demonize a foreign leader or country in order to justify US actions.      

Newsflash: Putin is not your average foreign leader.  He has his opposition, judges and reporters assassinated.  Something Trump admires I'm sure.

• Hibi, Arturo, film lover 293 and 1 other like this

#37 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,059 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

Here's the thing. Trump knew of the Russian interference, egged them on publicly, and probably even more privately. He has DONE NOTHING since becoming president to try to investigate this. Why? Because he already knows the answer, having had his underlings discuss this with them going back to over a year ago. Obama established sanctions against them for meddling in our elections, Trump wants to remove them, and appears to have a b*ner over meeting Putin next month. AND the investigstions into the involvement of himself, his cronies and family with the Russians continue, and are increasing in scope. As I mentioned yesterday, Trump smells of sulphur, so close is he to the devil Putin.

Putin is NOT the devil.    That type of view of foreign leaders is what US conservative politicians typically do to rally the ignorant masses;   demonize a foreign leader or country in order to justify US actions.      

#38 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

here's the thing...obama knew about the russian interference yet he doesn't clue the public in. to a point I can understand his reluctance. he doan wanna be accused of trying to publically influence the election in favor of hillary. he doesn't wanna come off badly in the eyes of the people but he reasons hillary will probably win anyway so he does nothing. he once belched out rather forcefully before a lectern 'I didn't draw a red line...the world did!" couldn't he have said something like he knows how this might be perceived by some people but he has been presented with reliable intel that tells us the russians are going to make a serious attempt to compromise the coming election....he coulda done that but chooses not to.

so why should trump take the blame for something obama coulda done something about?

no wonder he seemed so nice and resigned when trump won.

:D

Here's the thing. Trump knew of the Russian interference, egged them on publicly, and probably even more privately. He has DONE NOTHING since becoming president to try to investigate this. Why? Because he already knows the answer, having had his underlings discuss this with them going back to over a year ago. Obama established sanctions against them for meddling in our elections, Trump wants to remove them, and appears to have a b*ner over meeting Putin next month. AND the investigstions into the involvement of himself, his cronies and family with the Russians continue, and are increasing in scope. As I mentioned yesterday, Trump smells of sulphur, so close is he to the devil Putin.
  • mr6666, Hibi, Bogie56 and 1 other like this

#39 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

couldn't he have said something like he knows how this might be perceived by some people but he has been presented with reliable intel that tells us the russians are going to make a serious attempt to compromise the coming election....he coulda done that but chooses not to.

Trump and the GOP would have been perfectly fine with that, I'm sure.  He's such a reasonable bloke.

"The election is rigged folks.  Believe me"

- Donald J. Trump

• mr6666 and Arturo like this

#40 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

here's the thing...obama knew about the russian interference yet he doesn't clue the public in. to a point I can understand his reluctance. he doan wanna be accused of trying to publically influence the election in favor of hillary. he doesn't wanna come off badly in the eyes of the people but he reasons hillary will probably win anyway so he does nothing. he once belched out rather forcefully before a lectern 'I didn't draw a red line...the world did!" couldn't he have said something like he knows how this might be perceived by some people but he has been presented with reliable intel that tells us the russians are going to make a serious attempt to compromise the coming election....he coulda done that but chooses not to.

so why should trump take the blame for something obama coulda done something about?

no wonder he seemed so nice and resigned when trump won.

:D

I hope it doan get to bothering him too much. to take his mind off his dereliction he should stare at all those wonderful marble countertops in his new home...

he should do what ralph kramden did with the rent increase. give himself a little motto...

I got all these marble countertops now...so what am I worried about???

:lol: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users