We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Trump's Appointments

• Please log in to reply
604 replies to this topic

#561 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

I had heard the rumored possibility, but it just sounded too ridiculous to be serious. Perhaps that's the new normal, though. Trump is leaning toward John Bolton as Secretary of State.

That's right, one of the biggest jerks in GWB's administration, Bolton was the constantly sour-looking blowhard that notoriously verbally attacked and belittled his staffers and most anyone else around him. He was named our representative to the UN, which makes sense in Right-Wing Land, since Bolton had made a name for himself calling for the disbanding of the UN. By all reports he did little to strengthen America's ties around the world back then, and even worsened some. So naturally Trump wants to make him our Chief Diplomat.

John Bolton, a man so frightening that he scared his own mustache white.

Let the good times roll!

One problem Trump has is that he does not have a good selection of candidates for any position.  His campaign was made up of 2nd and 3rd stringers in politics and his surrogates and staffers.  He has to reward them and he has to select people his "team" will approve of.  Very few good choices.

Besides what really qualified person would want to serve in an administration knowing that Trump is going to defer to certain people in all matters and those people will override the cabinet members and agency heads.

#562 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,707 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

I had heard the rumored possibility, but it just sounded too ridiculous to be serious. Perhaps that's the new normal, though. Trump is leaning toward John Bolton as Secretary of State.

That's right, one of the biggest jerks in GWB's administration, Bolton was the constantly sour-looking blowhard that notoriously verbally attacked and belittled his staffers and most anyone else around him. He was named our representative to the UN, which makes sense in Right-Wing Land, since Bolton had made a name for himself calling for the disbanding of the UN. By all reports he did little to strengthen America's ties around the world back then, and even worsened some. So naturally Trump wants to make him our Chief Diplomat.

Let the good times roll!

Bolton is a moron as well as a war-m-o-n-g-e-r.     Poor choice for SOS.  

#563 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,226 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:21 PM

john-bolton1.jpg

Let the good times roll!

#564 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

They said it would be easier to monitor Trump's conflict of interest business deals if he would release his taxes.  Now that he has no political opponent in an election he could release them.

Not going to happen re: his taxes.  Also, not sure, but there may not be any "conflict of interests" regulations for the president.  There are none in Constitution and Congress cannot pass laws to regulate the president.  There are provisions in Constitution prohibiting rewards, gains, etc. from foreign powers.

#565 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

Presidential Terms that never reached the four years in the 20th Century--

* William McKinley

* Warren Harding

* Franklin D Roosevelt

* John F Kennedy

* Richard Nixon

What we have here is a mixed bag - -

2 Democrats

3 Republicans

2 assassinations

2 deaths in office

1 resignation for fear of impeachment

-- So you see in modern history, we have had enough examples of not reaching that 4 years, so that it wouldn't be a stretch to ponder that Trump may not reach it either--

Especially considering that he's the oldest man to ever take office at 70 years of age.

Speculation of him being impeached is silly.  The Republicans in the House KNOW that if they offend Trump's people, they will be out of a job.  They will be primaried by someone much farther to the right who supports Trump.  Also, they believe they can influence him or at least get their initiatives passed and signed.

There is a possibility that they could harrass and frustrate him enough that he will say to heck with it and resign.

And 70 is the new 40.

#566 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

Bannon's not all bad. He looks like he has rear end potential.

I haven't seen a full body shot of him, only his face.

Hey, wait a minute.

And 40% was being spent on Springsteen tickets and

memorabilia.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#567 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

Scsu--

I wasn't alive during World War II. But my mother told me that Roosevelt died during his last term in office. And they had a very big funeral. I believe she was telling me the truth.

So I couldn't tell you which term that was because I also he hear that he had more than two terms. But if you were alive then, maybe you can have the data on which term it was that he died in.

But whichever term it was - - he didn't live the entire four years of his last term and our man " the buck stops here" from Independence had to take over.

FDR died very early into his fourth term.  His health was very poor during the "campaign" in 1944.

#568 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:34 PM

"when I’m president I’m going to allow Mike Pence to run foreign policy and domestic policy. I don’t want to be involved in these details, I’m not going to be involved in policy making. And then they said to him I think it was at a New York Times editorial board interview, well if Mike Pence is going to be running foreign policy and domestic policy, what are you going to be doing?

And he said, “I’m going to be making America great again.”

But look at the people that he is going to be empowering. And by and large they are the traditional, hard, hawkish right wing members of the Republican Party because the more moderate people, as at least that term is understood in Republican politics, were the ones who were essentially radically against him.

Mike Pence is a Christian supremacist. He is as radical of a Christian as Mullah Mohammed Omar was radical in his interpretation of Islam as head of the Taliban. This is a guy whose primary view of himself in the world is as a Christian warrior. And Dick Cheney certainly was an ideological figure whose ideology was rooted in a warped reading of the Federalist Papers and a notion of America First. Pence is all of that, although a kind of dime store version of that when it comes to neocon ideology, but is more motivated by an idea that Christianity needs to be saved and needs to govern the world.....

https://theintercept...ump-presidency/

LMREO!!! He'll be running his business and leave the important details to others.........

#569 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

LOL! I havent seen him from BEHIND.........

#570 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

Christie was replaced by Pence when a snap audit showed that

30% of transition funds were being spent on pizza and hot wings.

#571 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

Christie was replaced by Pence when a snap audit showed that

30% of transition funds were being spent on pizza and hot wings.

#572 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:19 AM

By the way, when is the Klan's victory parade taking place?

Dec 3rd in North Carolina--

You can check the Alt Right thread for details.

#573 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:14 AM

Anti-semitic white nationalist Steve Bannon will have an office in the White House. The Alt Right white supremacist has arrived.

By the way, when is the Klan's victory parade taking place?

#574 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:50 PM

Reese's Peanuts has been named Chief of Staff, while Steve Bannon has been named "senior counselor & chief strategist".

Let the good times roll.

Anti-semitic white nationalist Steve Bannon will have an office in the White House. The Alt Right white supremacist has arrived.

#575 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,226 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

Reese's Peanuts has been named Chief of Staff, while Steve Bannon has been named "senior counselor & chief strategist".

Let the good times roll.

• NipkowDisc likes this

#576 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,130 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Pence's ascension is in line with a recent trend toward influential vice presidents and appears similar to the last vice president who was handed the keys to a presidential transition: Dick Cheney.....

https://www.apnews.c...-in-White-House

http://www.thestrang...ce-is-happening

trump-and-pence-cartoon-beeler.jpg?w=102

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#577 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

Did I miss his first three terms?

Scsu--

I wasn't alive during World War II. But my mother told me that Roosevelt died during his last term in office. And they had a very big funeral. I believe she was telling me the truth.

So I couldn't tell you which term that was because I also he hear that he had more than two terms. But if you were alive then, maybe you can have the data on which term it was that he died in.

But whichever term it was - - he didn't live the entire four years of his last term and our man " the buck stops here" from Independence had to take over.

#578 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:42 PM

Maybe James forgot the GOP circa Watergate. Bad scene.

But there is no permanent majority for either party, despite

what some folks think. You win some, you lose some. 2020--

All crackers all the time, though by then that might be fighting

the last war.

#579 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

Presidential Terms that never reached the four years in the 20th Century--

* Franklin D Roosevelt

Did I miss his first three terms?

I'm a big boy.

#580 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

James Carville said that he doesn’t recall in his lifetime any party being as weak across the board as the Democratic Party. You would think that when a party faces such devastating losses over time but especially such a crushing defeat like this one to such a weak candidate like Donald Trump, there would be some introspection, some self-examination and there was almost none of that. There was a desire to just say that it was everybody else’s fault.

I was particularly disturbed by the way that they were casting and maligning essentially all of the people who had committed the sin of voting what they regarded as the wrong way by simply dismissing them all as primitive or troglodyte or racist or misogynist. Even though of course many of them are, many of them are not and even for the ones that do have that as part of their motive, there are independently of that a lot of long, deep trends that have destroyed the welfare and economic security of tens of millions of people and put them into a mindset where they want to destroy this system of authority that they blame. I think that is what caused Brexit and I think to a large degree that’s what’s caused Trump. It’s urgent that we think about what these policies are that have done that to these people: who it is, who has done it, what the reasons are and how to stop. Watching them blame the media or WikiLeaks or Putin or Jill Stein or whomever they could find seemed very clearly to be a way of avoiding that conversation. My piece was really about urging everybody to have that conversation.

• LatriceRoyale likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users