We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Trump's Appointments

• Please log in to reply
590 replies to this topic

#561 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

Reese's Peanuts has been named Chief of Staff, while Steve Bannon has been named "senior counselor & chief strategist".

Let the good times roll.

• NipkowDisc likes this

#562 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,901 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Pence's ascension is in line with a recent trend toward influential vice presidents and appears similar to the last vice president who was handed the keys to a presidential transition: Dick Cheney.....

https://www.apnews.c...-in-White-House

http://www.thestrang...ce-is-happening

trump-and-pence-cartoon-beeler.jpg?w=102

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#563 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

Did I miss his first three terms?

Scsu--

I wasn't alive during World War II. But my mother told me that Roosevelt died during his last term in office. And they had a very big funeral. I believe she was telling me the truth.

So I couldn't tell you which term that was because I also he hear that he had more than two terms. But if you were alive then, maybe you can have the data on which term it was that he died in.

But whichever term it was - - he didn't live the entire four years of his last term and our man " the buck stops here" from Independence had to take over.

#564 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:42 PM

Maybe James forgot the GOP circa Watergate. Bad scene.

But there is no permanent majority for either party, despite

what some folks think. You win some, you lose some. 2020--

All crackers all the time, though by then that might be fighting

the last war.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#565 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

Presidential Terms that never reached the four years in the 20th Century--

* Franklin D Roosevelt

Did I miss his first three terms?

I'm a big boy.

#566 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

James Carville said that he doesn’t recall in his lifetime any party being as weak across the board as the Democratic Party. You would think that when a party faces such devastating losses over time but especially such a crushing defeat like this one to such a weak candidate like Donald Trump, there would be some introspection, some self-examination and there was almost none of that. There was a desire to just say that it was everybody else’s fault.

I was particularly disturbed by the way that they were casting and maligning essentially all of the people who had committed the sin of voting what they regarded as the wrong way by simply dismissing them all as primitive or troglodyte or racist or misogynist. Even though of course many of them are, many of them are not and even for the ones that do have that as part of their motive, there are independently of that a lot of long, deep trends that have destroyed the welfare and economic security of tens of millions of people and put them into a mindset where they want to destroy this system of authority that they blame. I think that is what caused Brexit and I think to a large degree that’s what’s caused Trump. It’s urgent that we think about what these policies are that have done that to these people: who it is, who has done it, what the reasons are and how to stop. Watching them blame the media or WikiLeaks or Putin or Jill Stein or whomever they could find seemed very clearly to be a way of avoiding that conversation. My piece was really about urging everybody to have that conversation.

• LatriceRoyale likes this

#567 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

The very fact that he even mentioned Steve Bannon as a possible chief of staff shows that he still does not get it. It could be a rough four (or hopefully less) years.

Presidential Terms that never reached the four years in the 20th Century--

* William McKinley

* Warren Harding

* Franklin D Roosevelt

* John F Kennedy

* Richard Nixon

What we have here is a mixed bag - -

2 Democrats

3 Republicans

2 assassinations

2 deaths in office

1 resignation for fear of impeachment

-- So you see in modern history, we have had enough examples of not reaching that 4 years, so that it wouldn't be a stretch to ponder that Trump may not reach it either--

Especially considering that he's the oldest man to ever take office at 70 years of age.

#568 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,901 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

"when I’m president I’m going to allow Mike Pence to run foreign policy and domestic policy. I don’t want to be involved in these details, I’m not going to be involved in policy making. And then they said to him I think it was at a New York Times editorial board interview, well if Mike Pence is going to be running foreign policy and domestic policy, what are you going to be doing?

And he said, “I’m going to be making America great again.”

But look at the people that he is going to be empowering. And by and large they are the traditional, hard, hawkish right wing members of the Republican Party because the more moderate people, as at least that term is understood in Republican politics, were the ones who were essentially radically against him.

Mike Pence is a Christian supremacist. He is as radical of a Christian as Mullah Mohammed Omar was radical in his interpretation of Islam as head of the Taliban. This is a guy whose primary view of himself in the world is as a Christian warrior. And Dick Cheney certainly was an ideological figure whose ideology was rooted in a warped reading of the Federalist Papers and a notion of America First. Pence is all of that, although a kind of dime store version of that when it comes to neocon ideology, but is more motivated by an idea that Christianity needs to be saved and needs to govern the world.....

https://theintercept...ump-presidency/

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#569 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

I wonder whether Christie is still a big Springsteen fan after the Boss headlined Hillary's final Philly rally on Monday. I'm glad I didn't go. I would have had an eerie feeling for the rest of my life.

CC has known for a long time that Bruce is a liberal Democrat,

so I doubt that Springsteen headlining that rally will do anything

to diminish Christie's Boss Love.

#570 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

They said it would be easier to monitor Trump's conflict of interest business deals if he would release his taxes.  Now that he has no political opponent in an election he could release them.

#571 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,501 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

And this pundit is presumably well-paid for stating the obvious.

I wonder whether Christie is still a big Springsteen fan after the Boss headlined Hillary's final Philly rally on Monday. I'm glad I didn't go. I would have had an eerie feeling for the rest of my life.

#572 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

Trump's kids have joined his transition team as well as continuing to run his business empire.  Pay for play anyone?

#573 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,501 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

The very fact that he even mentioned Steve Bannon as a possible chief of staff shows that he still does not get it. It could be a rough four (or hopefully less) years.

#574 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

#575 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:13 PM

#576 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

Trump won Louisiana by a very wide margin.    If the majority of Trump supporters are racist like you claim,  especially in the deep south,  why did so many in that state vote for Trump but NOT for Duke?               

Perhaps they have matured and prefer the more subtle dog whistle

racism to the bullhorn kind. I don't think I've ever claimed that the

majority of Trump supporters are racists, and I wouldn't claim that

those who are are of the rabid variety, such as the Klan group in

N.C. who will be holding a celebration of Donny's victory in the

near future.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#577 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,447 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

In the heat of the presidential election, I forgot about David

Duke's run for the U.S. Senate. He didn't do too well in

Louisiana's "jungle primary." Seventh place with 3% of the

vote. Ouch.

Trump won Louisiana by a very wide margin.    If the majority of Trump supporters are racist like you claim,  especially in the deep south,  why did so many in that state vote for Trump but NOT for Duke?               

#578 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

In the heat of the presidential election, I forgot about David

Duke's run for the U.S. Senate. He didn't do too well in

Louisiana's "jungle primary." Seventh place with 3% of the

vote. Ouch.

#579 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

That's why I protest racism and anti-Semitism on this website.

FYI--Highway, James et. al.

My Dearest Princess, by all means keep up your vigilance, be a watchman or watch "women" at the tower to fight racism. But you used the race card on Robert Gates and myself with such absence of difficulty; and that makes me question your credibility on this subject.

watchman.jpg

#580 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:02 AM

My French teacher was a Holocaust Survivor, she warned me about days like these.

That's why I protest racism and anti-Semitism on this website.

FYI--Highway, James et. al.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users