We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Future of Democratic Party?

What do Democrats need to do.

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

#1 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM

On the New York mayors race Sal Albanese said.... If Mickey Mouse was the mayor, we’d still have crime going down.

http://www.amny.com/...bate-1.14084461

That's comforting for the victims of crime to know. :blink:

image.jpeg

Vote for me, I'll take a bite out crime.

6dcc16c6a8f79afdc7ed3bff5de1bca9--mickey

Fixed typo

Edited by hamradio, Yesterday, 11:09 PM.

#2 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

There's little doubt that Clinton would have appointed

Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. 

• Princess of Tap likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#3 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

There always comes a time in any adult's life where they have to put aside their own little petty or personal likes and dislikes and act in a mature way
That is for the betterment of all.

It may be a short-term sacrifice, in order to survive to get to the long run.

That reminds me of when I was selling  p-o-t  "a long time ago", and I had a couple of pounds of mediocre grass, and I thought people should buy it, they should ignore their likes or dislikes. Fortunately I came to my senses and trashed that junk.

#4 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,542 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

I take it that you would like to see the Democratic party fail the way you choose to post only negative things about them. Is Trump your answer?

There always comes a time in any adult's life where they have to put aside their own little petty or personal likes and dislikes and act in a mature way
That is for the betterment of all.

It may be a short-term sacrifice, in order to survive to get to the long run.

#5 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,607 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

I take it that you would like to see the Democratic party fail the way you choose to post only negative things about them.  Is Trump your answer?

#6 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

#7 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

How the Sanders element is helping the Republicans to stay in power in 2018.

Like it matters.

The Progressive (Sanders) Party will either take over the government or the government will remain virtually Republican. There's no difference in governance whether it's Republicans or Republicrats in office.

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#8 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

How the Sanders element is helping the Republicans to stay in power in 2018.

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-bernie-bros-and-sisters-are-coming-to-the-republicans-rescue/2017/08/11/caacbad0-7e9f-11e7-9d08-b79f191668ed_story.html?undefined=&utm_term=.d9dd2a1694f6&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

#9 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

A new Democratic group has been founded to push a more centrist approach for the party.  It is called New Democracy.

Just what the people wanna see - more Republicrats.

Not.

#10 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

A new Democratic group has been founded to push a more centrist approach for the party.  It is called New Democracy.

/www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/centrist-democrats-begin-pushing-back-against-bernie-sanders-liberal-wing/2017/08/10/6e1ea684-7d19-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.3d7016db1e60&wpisrc=nl_evening&wpmm=1

#11 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,517 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

What an amazingly pertinent ploy!

Come on, Bernie - threaten to move to a new Party and force the Democrats to get on board or face death.

#12 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

• darkblue likes this

#13 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

I served on a city council and if we even thought about raising taxes, we got a lot of attention from people and the media.  Whereas school boards in this area, several of them, raise property taxes every year with no controversy.  This is in addition to the sales taxes they receive and other state tax support.

One medium sized county near here has SEVEN school districts.

Education usually gets a break. I know they do up here.

#14 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

I really hadn't thought of that, but it is true. And it doesn't take very

much for things to get contentious in some school boards. And of

course every county has its own county bureaucracy. NC has 100

counties, which makes % easy to figure out. 

I served on a city council and if we even thought about raising taxes, we got a lot of attention from people and the media.  Whereas school boards in this area, several of them, raise property taxes every year with no controversy.  This is in addition to the sales taxes they receive and other state tax support.

One medium sized county near here has SEVEN school districts.

#15 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

One overlooked aspect of states having too many counties is that each county also has its own school district, maybe more.

There are far too many school districts in the US, even by 20th century standards, much less 21st century.

School boards are also the least watched and media covered of any governmental entity.

I really hadn't thought of that, but it is true. And it doesn't take very

much for things to get contentious in some school boards. And of

course every county has its own county bureaucracy. NC has 100

counties, which makes % easy to figure out. 

#16 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

Looks a bit like Uncle Fester with a bad haircut.

Dems in NC raised $1.7 million in the first six months of

2017. GOP raised about $450,000. Of course money doesn't

always translate into votes and it's early, but this is better

than the reverse. 

I used to live in Georgia, it had 159 counties. It is by area

the largest state in the southeast, but that's still a lot of

counties.

One overlooked aspect of states having too many counties is that each county also has its own school district, maybe more.

There are far too many school districts in the US, even by 20th century standards, much less 21st century.

School boards are also the least watched and media covered of any governmental entity.

#17 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

Looks a bit like Uncle Fester with a bad haircut.

Dems in NC raised $1.7 million in the first six months of

2017. GOP raised about $450,000. Of course money doesn't

always translate into votes and it's early, but this is better

than the reverse. 

I used to live in Georgia, it had 159 counties. It is by area

the largest state in the southeast, but that's still a lot of

counties.

#18 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

I don't know why she wouldn't be qualified. We had a man in Kansas named Jim Ryan whose only qualification was running fast around a track and people voted for him for years for Congress.

Right off, I would say anyone who's a fighter pilot has tremendous psychological, physical and intellectual skills, perseverance and the ability to get along with people and work alongside others in a team.

As far as what her political stances are, or if she has any base support where she came from, I don't know about that. You're right that she might have some
work ahead of her on and those two important points.

But with her background, she should be able to figure out anything that she needs to know about serving in that Congress - - I would say she's Head and Shoulders already above most people who are already there.

On another note you mentioned the draft. It certainly was a different military when most men had to serve, but this would be another thread.

However, I've always felt that young people, after high school, need to do some community service before they start out in life, whether it's the military, public service or elsewhere in their community. But I guess I'm just old-fashioned.

Just to be clear, I am not saying she is not qualified.  I am saying that being a former fighter pilot and retired Marine will probably not be enough in and of itself to get her the votes she will need in a heavily Republican district.  The incumbent won his last election by 20%.  She will really need to show how she can do better for the people of the district than the incumbent.

I do not believe that her experiences as a fighter pilot endow her with the psychological, physical and intellectual skills, perseverance and ability to work with others above what most people have.  Based on my experiences.

#19 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

He was a Republican until 2015 when he wanted to run for governor so he changed to Democrat.  

Executive for real estate and coal industries and changes parties just to get votes.  Sounds pretty low to me.

I guess Justice felt he couldn't beat Bill Cole in the GOP primary, instead beating Cole in the General election.

While masquerading as a Dem was low,  it proved to be a very wise political strategy;   he received votes from Dems,  independents, and  just enough GOP members to beat Cole in a GOP leaning state.

#20 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

In a surprised announcement during Trump's visit to West Virginia's Democrat Gov. Jim Justice stated he's switching parties.

http://www.cnn.com/2...crat/index.html

JimJusticeWestVirginia-620x436.jpg

Edited....wrong link

He was a Republican until 2015 when he wanted to run for governor so he changed to Democrat.  

Executive for real estate and coal industries and changes parties just to get votes.  Sounds pretty low to me.

• mr6666 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users