We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Future of Democratic Party?

What do Democrats need to do.

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#1 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts
  • LocationTRUMP COUNTRY -- GOD'S COUNTRY -- PROUD DEPLORABLE

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Free Beacon Retweeted

All glory is fleeting. General George Patton 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The American dream does not come to those who fall asleep. Pres. Richard Nixon  

The American people, North and South, went into the war as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects. What they thus lost they have never got back.  H.L. Mencken

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

I didn't watch CNN's Christiane Amanpour's interview with Hillary Clinton since in my opinion, Clinton is finished, except for maybe raising money to support Democrats.

Apparently, Clinton blamed Comey, Putin and the mainstream media for her failure to win.  The media part is based on her saying no one asked her during debates to comment on her plan to increase jobs.  Actually somebody did in first debate, but she blew it.

Regardless, she could very well have pointed out in any number of speeches and interviews prior to the election what her plan was.  She didn't.

As for Comey and Putin, we'll never know if that was the determining factor or not.  Maybe.

To me, the election was lost because Hillary Clinton was a poor candidate, she had a mediocre campaign and she limited her issues and appeals to a narrow range of people.

Hopefully, the Democrats will not repeat that in 2018 and 2020 elections. 

Well said.

I have to assume those in charge of the Clinton campaign knew that she was a poor candidate (or at least a less then good one).  Especially after losing to Obama in 2008.    Bill knew she was half the candidate he was.    Therefore with her staff understanding her limitations this makes the mediocre job her staff did running the campaign all the more frustrating.  

The only pass I give her staff is that they assumed that Clinton would be running against a fairly traditional GOP candidate and of course Trump was anything but that.  The fact her staff didn't radically change course to take on Trump was completed misguided.

• TheCid likes this

#3 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

I didn't watch CNN's Christiane Amanpour's interview with Hillary Clinton since in my opinion, Clinton is finished, except for maybe raising money to support Democrats.

Apparently, Clinton blamed Comey, Putin and the mainstream media for her failure to win.  The media part is based on her saying no one asked her during debates to comment on her plan to increase jobs.  Actually somebody did in first debate, but she blew it.

Regardless, she could very well have pointed out in any number of speeches and interviews prior to the election what her plan was.  She didn't.

As for Comey and Putin, we'll never know if that was the determining factor or not.  Maybe.

To me, the election was lost because Hillary Clinton was a poor candidate, she had a mediocre campaign and she limited her issues and appeals to a narrow range of people.

Hopefully, the Democrats will not repeat that in 2018 and 2020 elections. 

#4 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

4Mo2yWx9_bigger.png

Seven Days @sevendaysvt 21m21 minutes ago

FBI agents visited a Burlington College donor in Florida as part of an investigation into a 2010 loan application http://7dvt.co/2qAbAEL 

C-_V4SUUQAAViv_.jpg

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The American people, North and South, went into the war as citizens of their respective states, they came out as subjects. What they thus lost they have never got back.  H.L. Mencken

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#5 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,666 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

Give it up.  Neither Bernie nor Elizabeth Warren could have won the 2016 election.  Nor will they win the 2020 one.  This is America, not Canada.

Many other Democrats probably could.

As for the people who vote for Republicans, it goes far beyond simple economics.  It is true that the Republicans have done a fantastic job of convincing many working people, middle class people and small business owners that GOP economic policies will help them, even though they won't and never have.

However, you have to also factor in racism, religion, strong law enfocement, military strength, etc.

You keep trying to sell that tired old viewpoint, but the Republican base is shrinking by the day. Sanders' popularity in "Red States" is emblematic of a huge change in American thinking. That's only gonna become more and more evident as the elder population continues to die off.

Sanders would have won in 2016 if he'd gotten the Democratic nomination - there's no doubt whatsoever.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#6 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

The ultimate? Way to over-rate him.

Even most of those who actually did vote for him know he's full of ****.

But what the hell were they gonna do - vote for the seriously corrupt but otherwise empty Clinton?

Ahh, Bernie. What should have been.

Give it up.  Neither Bernie nor Elizabeth Warren could have won the 2016 election.  Nor will they win the 2020 one.  This is America, not Canada.

Many other Democrats probably could.

As for the people who vote for Republicans, it goes far beyond simple economics.  It is true that the Republicans have done a fantastic job of convincing many working people, middle class people and small business owners that GOP economic policies will help them, even though they won't and never have.

However, you have to also factor in racism, religion, strong law enfocement, military strength, etc.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#7 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,328 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Ultimate con man because he won the presidency of the USA.   He was just another slick willy snake oil salesman before that.  IMO.

#8 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

Yes the Republicans have been bamboozling the working class into believing that they represent them for many years.

Let's not forget that Trump also managed to convince GOP voters that he would be better than all of the other Republican candidates for the economy.  How many times did he go bankrupt?  And has he ever governed in any capacity anywhere?  As we now see he is only interested in wins.  He doesn't care what is in the health bill as long as it moves along and he gets credit.  He is the ultimate con man.

Even most of those who actually did vote for him know he's full of ****.

But what the hell were they gonna do - vote for the seriously corrupt but otherwise empty Clinton?

Ahh, Bernie. What should have been.

#9 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,328 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:25 AM

Like hell you do.

Republican voters have been voting against their own interests for decades and decades and there's been no one scammer of note that made that happen - it's just half a century (at least) of poor education and religio/macho-hot button brainwashing by moneyed interests for the purpose of keeping that vote coming their way.

We have an alternative that would've beat Trump, but the neo-liberal Establishment wouldn't let it be. The Establishment's bread and butter is corruption - a Clinton specialty.

Yes the Republicans have been bamboozling the working class into believing that they represent them for many years.

Let's not forget that Trump also managed to convince GOP voters that he would be better than all of the other Republican candidates for the economy.  How many times did he go bankrupt?  And has he ever governed in any capacity anywhere?  As we now see he is only interested in wins.  He doesn't care what is in the health bill as long as it moves along and he gets credit.  He is the ultimate con man.

• mr6666, TheCid and film lover 293 like this

#10 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,298 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

But some, perhaps a good number, of Trump's voters were

Democrats or independents in a prior life and weren't

into hari kari voting.

Maybe Bernie would have beat Trump and maybe he wouldn't.

We'll never know for sure. It really wasn't the establishment

that decided who won the Democratic primary, it was the voters

in those primaries. Sanders did very well, just not well enough.

• TheCid likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#11 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

You need a masterful scam artist like Trumpy to get people to vote against their own interests. 

Like hell you do.

Republican voters have been voting against their own interests for decades and decades and there's been no one scammer of note that made that happen - it's just half a century (at least) of poor education and religio/macho-hot button brainwashing by moneyed interests for the purpose of keeping that vote coming their way.

We have an alternative that would've beat Trump, but the neo-liberal Establishment wouldn't let it be. The Establishment's bread and butter is corruption - a Clinton specialty.

#12 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,298 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

You need a masterful scam artist like Trumpy to get people to

vote against their own interests. And he did do that. Maybe the

problem with Clinton 2016 was that she had too many messages

and didn't concentrate on just a few. Of course many people

vote more on gut feelings that detailed policy prescriptions.

• Bogie56 likes this

#13 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Master-shmaster. Didn't have to play them at all.

After the massive fooling of America by Obama and his glorious lie of "hope and change", not coming out for the message-less Democrats was just a natural phenomenon.

#14 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,298 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

Donny played these suckers like a master. Maybe one day

they will figure that out, but then again people hate to admit

they've been fooled.

• TheCid likes this

#15 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,328 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

If you take the dislike for Hillary Clinton out of the equation it seems the main reason why former Obama supporters switched to Donald Trump in key states is they trusted him more than the democrats when it comes to the economy.  So, the messaging by the democrats on the economy was a big factor in who won the election.  They actually believed that democrats would favour the wealthy whereas Trump would not. 

https://www.washingt...st-draw5&wpmm=1

Why did Trump win? New research by Democrats offers a worrisome answer.

The poll found that Obama-Trump voters, many of whom are working-class whites and were pivotal to Trump’s victory, are economically losing ground and are skeptical of Democratic solutions to their problems. Among the findings:

• 50 percent of Obama-Trump voters said their incomes are falling behind the cost of living, and another 31 percent said their incomes are merely keeping pace with the cost of living.
  • A sizable chunk of Obama-Trump voters — 30 percent — said their vote for Trump was more a vote against Clinton than a vote for Trump. Remember, these voters backed Obama four years earlier.
  • 42 percent of Obama-Trump voters said congressional Democrats’ economic policies will favor the wealthy, vs. only 21 percent of them who said the same about Trump. (Forty percent say that about congressional Republicans.) A total of 77 percent of Obama-Trump voters said Trump’s policies will favor some mix of all other classes (middle class, poor, all equally), while a total of 58 percent said that about congressional Democrats.

• mr6666, TheCid and film lover 293 like this

#16 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

After a hard left turn, the Labour Party in Britain is headed for a probable, sizeable defeat in next elections in six weeks.   In 2015, they had turned a hard left and were badly beaten.  Now they are going even more extreme and likely to be beaten even worse.

This is a lesson for the Democrats in the US when coupled with Nov 2016 and the state and local elections since 2008.

www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/after-hard-left-turn-under-jeremy-corbyn-britains-labour-party-on-course-for-historic-defeat/2017/04/30/a4efcc68-29dd-11e7-9081-f5405f56d3e4_story.html?utm_term=.16450225ec85&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

#17 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

5UgMNCwA_bigger.jpg

Breitbart NewsVerified account @BreitbartNews 2m2 minutes ago

lol yeah right

Van Jones: Obama Should Go on a ‘Poverty Tour’

http://www.breitbart...o-poverty-tour/

#18 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

fOuyjxjY_bigger.jpeg

Free BeaconVerified account @FreeBeacon 21h21 hours ago

Chris Matthews: Democrats have moved too far to the left on cultural issues https://goo.gl/dUYiRx 

C-q_0yYUwAAeO44.jpg

#19 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

fOuyjxjY_bigger.jpeg

Free BeaconVerified account @FreeBeacon 20h20 hours ago

Watch @SenSchumer, Chris Wallace have fiery exchange over Democrats' attempt to block Neil Gorsuch https://goo.gl/rmIM1N 

C-rA9AbVwAAcMvj.jpg

#20 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

fOuyjxjY_bigger.jpeg

Free BeaconVerified account @FreeBeacon 15h15 hours ago

Indicted Fmr Dem Rep. Corrine Brown Spent Campaign Cash After Primary Loss http://goo.gl/CMR3aD 

C-rymXkXsAA0ibc.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users