We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Future of Democratic Party?

What do Democrats need to do.

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#301 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

The Democratic party needs to all become golfers, I like the way that worked out for Obama.

• NipkowDisc likes this

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#302 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:46 PM

The Stark Contrast Between GOP’s Self-Criticism in 2012 and Democrats’ Blame-Everyone-Else Posture Now-

"....there is a large list of fundamental, systemic problems with virtually every aspect of the Democratic Party. Those are the deficiencies that explain its monumental electoral defeats. Acknowledging one’s own responsibility for failure is always difficult, which is why scapegoating and finger-pointing at others is so tempting."

https://theintercept...se-posture-now/

• BelleLeGrand1 and jamesjazzguitar like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#303 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

The selection of DNC chair will provide a clue to which way this goes.  Heard that O'Malley has dropped out.

#304 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,682 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

JON STEWART.....

""Donald Trump is a repudiation of Republicans," Stewart said. 

Stewart also cautioned liberals against intolerance. So much of what liberals fight for is that people shouldn't be judged as "monoliths," Stewart said, and by that logic, "defining Trump supporters by the worst of his rhetoric" is ignorant. "That hypocrisy is also real in this country," Stewart said.

"America is an anomaly in the world," he said, "And Trump's candidacy animated that thought, that a multicultural democracy is impossible – but that's what America is!" 

"This is the fight that we wage against ourselves and each other, because America is not natural," Stewart said. "Natural is tribal. We're fighting against thousands of years of human behavior and history to create something that no one's ever – that's what's exceptional about America. And this ain't easy."

http://www.rollingst...blicans-w450936

• darkblue, BelleLeGrand1, jamesjazzguitar and 1 other like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#305 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,764 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

Schumer is a pretty good bs artist, but he will not be able to

out bs the GOP with working class types, at least not for a

couple of years. You can't win 'em all.

As a youngster I used to swipe both library books and bookstore

books, giving equal treatment to the public and private sector.

I still have some of them. There may not be a free lunch in

America, but there are free books.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#306 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

The Democratic Party is gonna try to regroup by doing nothing different.

You don't think this is a winning strategy? 

In July, Schumer said, “The number one factor in whether we retake the Senate is whether Hillary Clinton does well, and I think she’s going to do really well. [...] For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

Then, yesterday came this:  "We will unite our caucus and speak to the blue-collar worker in West Virginia, and Michigan, as well as the people who live along the coasts," Schumer, 65, said after emerging from a closed-door party-caucus meeting in which Democrats anointed him as minority leader in place of Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., who is retiring.

He's a fast learner, that one, ay?

• darkblue and jamesjazzguitar like this

#307 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

The Democratic Party is gonna try to regroup by doing nothing different.

• BelleLeGrand1 likes this

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#308 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:54 AM

I'd love to know what I said to make you think that.  At any rate, being against HRC doesn't necessarily mean I'm pro-Trump.  My spouse has been accused of the same thing posting elsewhere, so you're not alone there.

No offense taken.  I could never be mad at George Brent. ;)

However, I think you're being a little rough on James, who was kind enough to come to my defense.

Maybe. But I take a dim view of people who steal library books and have the nerve to brag about it. Anyway, no offense meant on my part (to you!)

#309 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

You sure sound like one. Forgive me if I'm mistaken.........

I'd love to know what I said to make you think that.  At any rate, being against HRC doesn't necessarily mean I'm pro-Trump.  My spouse has been accused of the same thing posting elsewhere, so you're not alone there.

No offense taken.  I could never be mad at George Brent. ;)

However, I think you're being a little rough on James, who was kind enough to come to my defense.

#310 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,764 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:34 PM

My advise to the Dem party would be to make slight concession on some of the major issues: E.g. supporting a ban on late term abortion,  supporting enforcement of existing immigration laws,   allowing a business to deny services based on religion ground as long as doing so causes no economic harm,   minimum wage increase of only $12 and instead of annual inflation adjusted increases a more delayed increase mechanism and agreeing to cuts in spending on social programs \ entitlements. 

As for JOBS,  which I believe was a major reason Trump won those battleground states Trump was just blowing smoke as it relates to him improving the economy but clearly more voters agree with his BS over the silence of Clinton.   As I said I don't think the Feds can do much in this area.       If that is that case and a Trump admin isn't able to reduce the trade deficit with China much, the overall number of jobs being outsources,  or increase wages,    the Dems just have to wait and campaign on that.

Isn't this where Howard Dean would come in and say

I'm from the Democratic wing of the Democratic party?

• Princess of Tap likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#311 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Bella doesn't sound like a Trump supporter at all and never has.

For you to say she sounds like one is poor reflection on you and not her.

#312 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

Counting my chickens?  Perhaps you mistake me for a Trump supporter, Hibi.  :huh:

• Princess of Tap likes this

#313 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

ICK! I hope not........

#314 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

tulsi_gabbard_high1a.jpgCongresswoman for Hawaii and Bernie Sanders supporter.

I don't see Trump coming anywhere near close to her in any sense.

You might want to rephrase that last sentence.

I'm a big boy.

#315 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

Times may have changed, but 2008 saw the election of a black man whose middle name is Hussein, so anything is possible.

Besides being a vet, she also demonstrated integrity by dropping out of her DNC office to commit to endorsing Bernie.  That should work in her favor.  I'd like to think that by the time she'd be ready to run, the circumstances would be favorable.

I'd like to think that America would be ready, too. But they just elected Donald Trump. So that pendulum is gonna need to swing reeaaally far in the other direction for that to happen.

#316 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

No, throwing the BUM out would be a good place to start. I wouldnt be counting your chickens just yet. 4 years is a long time. I'd be surprised if he makes it through his FIRST year.........

Counting my chickens?  Perhaps you mistake me for a Trump supporter, Hibi.  :huh:

#317 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:10 PM

Nvm...I just read up on her. The fact that she was born in American Somoa and is a practicing Hindu should endear her to the Heartland. Will a country that just elected someone like Donald Trump be ready to elect a woman that wasn't born in the 50 states and isn't a Christian?

I agree with her stances on every issue that I just read, and I'd vote for her, but would a majority of Americans? Doubtful.

Times may have changed, but 2008 saw the election of a black man whose middle name is Hussein, so anything is possible.

Besides being a vet, she also demonstrated integrity by dropping out of her DNC office to commit to endorsing Bernie.  That should work in her favor.  I'd like to think that by the time she'd be ready to run, the circumstances would be favorable.

• Bogie56 likes this

#318 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

Screen-Shot-2015-10-12-at-7.31.51-PM.pngTulsi Gabbard, the next and first woman to be POTUS.

Maybe not president for reasons Lawrence noted, but she appears to be what Dems. need as a leader in the House and eventually a senator.  

#319 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

We're all grasping at straws right now.  I do believe if the Dems continue to ignore their traditional base they will become ever more irrelevant.  The Dems were gloating about what they predicted would be the destruction of the Republican party if Trump got the nomination, but it seems they are the ones facing extinction.

Throwing the bums out, as you so aptly put it, would be a good place to start.

Speaking of blame, I happened to read this earlier today.  Pres. Obama makes some very good points:   http://www.politico....ign-work-231370

No, throwing the BUM out would be a good place to start. I wouldnt be counting your chickens just yet. 4 years is a long time. I'd be surprised if he makes it through his FIRST year.........

#320 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

Nvm...I just read up on her. The fact that she was born in American Somoa and is a practicing Hindu should endear her to the Heartland. Will a country that just elected someone like Donald Trump be ready to elect a woman that wasn't born in the 50 states and isn't a Christian?

I agree with her stances on every issue that I just read, and I'd vote for her, but would a majority of Americans? Doubtful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users