We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Racism in Trump's America

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#1 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,361 posts

Posted Today, 04:05 PM

Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know: The National Anthem Is a Celebration of Slavery-

"...Few people know this because we only ever sing the first verse. But read the end of the third verse and you’ll see why “The Star-Spangled Banner” is not just a musical atrocity, it’s an intellectual and moral one, too:

''No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

“The Star-Spangled Banner,” Americans hazily remember, was written by Francis Scott Key about the Battle of Fort McHenry in Baltimore during the War of 1812. But we don’t ever talk about how the War of 1812 was a war of aggression that began with an attempt by the U.S. to grab Canada from the British Empire.........

...there were human beings fighting for freedom with incredible bravery during the War of 1812. However, “The Star-Spangled Banner” glorifies America’s “triumph” over them — and then turns that reality completely upside down, transforming their killers into the courageous freedom fighters.....

After the U.S. and the British signed a peace treaty at the end of 1814, the U.S. government demanded the return of American “property,” which by that point numbered about 6,000 people. The British refused. Most of the 6,000 eventually settled in Canada, with some going to Trinidad, where their descendants are still known as “Merikins.”....

Maybe it’s all ancient, meaningless history. Or maybe it’s not, and Kaepernick is right, and we really need a new national anthem."

https://theintercept...ion-of-slavery/

• midwestan likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#2 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,361 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

Surprise! Cops find Adolf Hitler speech in accused racist spree killer’s home -    

"After cops apprehended Kenneth Gleason for a series of race-based killings, they found texts by Hitler in his home...

http://www.salon.com...-hitler-speech/

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

I think I'm beginning to understand how this works--

President Obama is the blackest president we've ever had; therefore he caused all the racists to come out from under the rocks. So that must make him racist.

Ben Stein is sick of all these people calling trump and the United States racist because even though trump and the United States are racist, he is just tired of hearing about it.

Well, I can understand how he feels.

It's like, I suppose, a lot of people in Germany are tired of hearing about the Holocaust and are tired of hearing about how the Germans were so anti-Semitic in World War II. But That won't change the facts of History, will it?

Sometimes facts are hard for even a grown man to face. Ben needs to get a stiff upper lip.

Ben is wrong for using such generalities.    Just like you.

• HIGHWAY likes this

#4 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Typical when things don't go their way.

https://www.nbcnews....ficer-s-n802206

Whaaa, it's not fair,  we will have a temper tantrum and loot & destroy.

99a2d9-20170918-st-louis-violence.jpg

58ffe9a9ebf19df8cd2fe5230de7e273.jpg

#5 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

If Ben Stein thinks Obama was the most racist president, he'd better get out the history books and start reading about presidents like Andrew Jackson and Wilson and watch/read clips of Trump berating Mexicans, immigrants, the Central Park Five, Obama, and extolling the virtues of Joe Arpaio and the white power demonstrators.  Remember that Trump's daddy was arrested at a Klan rally in NYC.  The apple didn't fall far from the tree.  

• midwestan likes this

#6 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,399 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

Stein has sounded pretty kooky for the last fifteen years.

I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to him.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#7 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:27 PM

President Obama is the blackest president we've ever had; therefore he caused all the racists to come out from under the rocks. So that must make him racist.

Ben Stein is sick of all these people calling trump and the United States racist because even though trump and the United States are racist, he is just tired of hearing about it.

It's like, I suppose, a lot of people in Germany are tired of hearing about the Holocaust and are tired of hearing about how the Germans were so anti-Semitic in World War II. But That won't change the facts of History, will it?

Sometimes facts are hard for even a grown man to face. Ben needs to get a stiff upper lip.

:huh:

Who were the others?

Think you got Morgan Freeman on your mind. :lol:

p01hd0mq.jpg

#8 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

45]vBbCVD-r_bigger.jpegDavid WeinerVerified account @daweiner

More

There's one of these for every notable person upset with people calling Trump racist.

DJ5nRPsUEAA0kTO.jpg
DJ5nRPtVAAA-PNb.jpg

• midwestan likes this

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

And people should embrace who and what they are.

trump made it very clear in his 2nd Charlottesville statement that white supremists we're okay by him.

On the 60 Minutes interview with Charlie Rose, Steve Bannon didn't have any problem in saying he didn't care that people called him an anti-Semite or a racist.

People who have the audacity to be racist should have the guts to admit it in public and not act like it's something to be ashamed of.

I honestly don't understand how racist people don't want to appear to be racist in public-- The Joke is on them because the racism appears in their behavior, their writing, their talking, and their voting.

My view is people should try to distance themselves from what their ancestor were in order to establish their own identity.

All cultures have something to offer;  why limited oneself to the culture of one's ancestor.   

If more people did this it would reduce racist \ anti-culture feelings.     The less one identifies with a race or culture the less one feels the need to defend it or attack others that are perceived as being different.

Of course I'm just a silly half breed!  ;)

• midwestan likes this

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:19 AM

45]

45]tw7JPE5v_bigger.jpgThe HillVerified account @thehill
More

Tucker Carlson tears into ESPN over host who called Trump a "white supremacist" http://hill.cm/r6Ecz98

DJlKx57X0AQP5IG.jpg

And people should embrace who and what they are.

trump made it very clear in his 2nd Charlottesville statement that white supremists we're okay by him.

On the 60 Minutes interview with Charlie Rose, Steve Bannon didn't have any problem in saying he didn't care that people called him an anti-Semite or a racist.

People who have the audacity to be racist should have the guts to admit it in public and not act like it's something to be ashamed of.

I honestly don't understand how racist people don't want to appear to be racist in public-- The Joke is on them because the racism appears in their behavior, their writing, their talking, and their voting.

#11 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:45 PM

Charlottesville

The Arpaio pardon

And now this-- The Trump Effect

No kidding...alas, another addition to the "Why Police Are Hated" thread?

#12 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

45]XMWy2Z50_bigger.jpegLos Angeles TimesVerified account @latimes

More

Florida sheriff criticized for threatening arrests of evacuees in shelters during Hurricane Irma http://lat.ms/2xQA0MU

DJJ17SkUIAAg4DE.jpg

Charlottesville

The Arpaio pardon

And now this-- The Trump Effect

#13 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,041 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

https://qz.com/10604...ce-from-the-un/

ALARM BELLS

The UN has warned the United States over its alarming rise in ethnic violence

A United Nations committee has issued a formal warning to the United States and its president, Donald Trump, over recent racial violence in the country, indicating serious concern that conflicts like the recent one in Charlottesville, Virginia, will spread.

The Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) has issued an “early warning,” the first step in its system of measures to prevent tensions from escalating and inform member states of the urgent need to address problems. It criticized the US for “failure at the highest political level to unequivocally reject racist violent events.”

Who else in the world does this put Trump in league with?  What he is doing to America's reputation with the rest of the world is staggering.  Not surprising that two Trump apologists could care less.  Their natural reaction is not to have concern about their president's behaviour but to lash out and condemn everyone else.

• midwestan likes this

#14 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

45]yHWzhy8k_bigger.jpgBrit HumeVerified account @brithume

More

Rex Tillerson, asked by Chris Wallace if the President's speaks for American values on race, "The President speaks for himself." Whoa.

Even the journalists at Fox News think that Trump is a racist.
  • film lover 293 likes this

#15 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Re: The UN has warned the United States 

If we don't heed the warning what are they going to do....pack up and leave New York? 

#16 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

ALARM BELLS

A United Nations committee has issued a formal warning to the United States and its president, Donald Trump, over recent racial violence in the country, indicating serious concern that conflicts like the recent one in Charlottesville, Virginia, will spread.

The Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) has issued an “early warning,” the first step in its system of measures to prevent tensions from escalating and inform member states of the urgent need to address problems. It criticized the US for “failure at the highest political level to unequivocally reject racist violent events.”

trump must be a nervous wreck. :lol:

• hamradio likes this

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#17 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,041 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

ALARM BELLS

#18 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

45]ceX1JfaZ_bigger.pngSeth MoultonVerified account @sethmoulton

More

Nazis rallied & murdered a woman on US soil...and then @POTUS pardons Arpaio, who bragged about his "concentration camp" full of minorities.

Unfortunately we have dual histories when it comes to racism in the United States. We have the history of slavery and Jim Crow, the history of Japanese relocation camps, the history of Native American genocide.

Fortunately we also have a history of Martin Luther King jr's Nonviolent Civil Rights Movement, positive civil rights legislation from Harry S Truman and Lyndon B Johnson and civil rights activists from all Races, ethnicities and classes-- people like--

*Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman, two Young Jewish white men from New York City who were murdered by the Klan because they were trying to register black voters in Mississippi, 1964. Schwerner and Goodman were joined by a young black man who was from the area, James Chaney-- he was murdered as well.

These are those three famous Civil Rights workers who were martyrs to the cause of anti- racism in America. But there was also a little-known martyr at this time - - a white woman.

Viola Liuzzo was a white housewife and mother of five when she volunteered in 1965 to go to Selma Alabama to work in the Civil Rights Movement. She did this because she was an Unitarian Universalist Activist. She volunteered to be a driver for participants in the Selma to Montgomery March.

On March 25th, 1965, the 39 year -old white housewife from Michigan was shot dead by 3 Ku Klux Klan members, as she was on her way back from shuttling an activist to the Montgomery Airport.

These are just a few of the many Martyrs against racism in the United States.

Heather Heyer, a 32 year -old white woman from Virginia, has now joined this illustrious group of people who willingly gave their lives so that America could be a real democracy and true to its Constitutional heritage.

In America we have a choice of going down one of these roads.

Our history has not been all bad and it certainly hasn't been all good, yet at the same time only we alone can create the future.
  • ChristineHoard likes this

#19 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,041 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

Well I had heard an interview with a lady who expressed my views exactly:

(paraphrasing)

Trump's entire election campaign was a thinly veiled white supremacist platform.

"Make America great again" meant "Make America White Again" to those who secretly blame every non-white American for their economic downturn. 

I could see that and obviously his supporters agreed with that. This, along with his incredible inexperience and 5th grade mentality made me fearful for our country with Trump in the White House.

And now it's all imploding because (hopefully) the majority of Americans see this clown for what he is, a baffoon.

It's very disheartening to know this day & age there still are those who equate any non whites or immigrants as a threat to anyone's economic success or well being. I wish Americans would Grow Up.

About 65 to 80% of Republican voters agree with him, think that he is doing a good job and would vote for him again.  Sad.  The bar for being a mature moral president is now sitting on the ground.

• Arturo, ChristineHoard and NipkowDisc like this

#20 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

Well I had heard an interview with a lady who expressed my views exactly:

(paraphrasing)

Trump's entire election campaign was a thinly veiled white supremacist platform.

"Make America great again" meant "Make America White Again" to those who secretly blame every non-white American for their economic downturn. 

I could see that and obviously his supporters agreed with that. This, along with his incredible inexperience and 5th grade mentality made me fearful for our country with Trump in the White House.

And now it's all imploding because (hopefully) the majority of Americans see this clown for what he is, a baffoon.

It's very disheartening to know this day & age there still are those who equate any non whites or immigrants as a threat to anyone's economic success or well being. I wish Americans would Grow Up.

• Arturo, ChristineHoard, film lover 293 and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users