We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Hitchcok's " Rope "

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Hitchcock liked to explore sexuality in films such as ROPE, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN and others, as much as censors would allow.  No judgement, no preaching, just part of humanity.  I watched SUSPICION the other night and there's a scene at a dinner party at the mystery writer's house and one of the guests is a blonde lady with very short hair wearing a man's suit and tie.  No deal is made out it, which is nice, and I thought maybe she was the mystery writer's girlfriend because, at one point, she gets up and pours a drink for the hostess as everyone is discussing ways to poison someone that can't be traced.  The bird "expert" in THE BIRDS wears a man's suit and tie, too.

He could use sexuality for humor too. The newlywed couple in Rear Window ​are mostly unseen but it's pretty clear they're holed up in their bedroom non-stop. Any time the poor guy tries to take a breather at the window, she calls him back with that plaintive wail. It's surprisingly explicit without being really explicit at all. It's a clever way to "go there" in a family film. The train-in-the-tunnel ending of ​North By Northwest ​is actually laugh out loud funny, since even casual moviegoers would recognize the significance of such a well-used cliché coming on the heels of the two stars climbing into bed. In Rope​ there's a lot of giddy wink-wink between the two men as they savor the irony of being so charming to their guests after having murdered a previous guest, but it's a creepy humor that makes the movie audience feel complicit, which seems to have been Hitchcock's whole approach to the film.

• TopBilled, ChristineHoard, cinemaspeak59 and 1 other like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#2 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

Hitchcock liked to explore sexuality in films such as ROPE, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN and others, as much as censors would allow.  No judgement, no preaching, just part of humanity.  I watched SUSPICION the other night and there's a scene at a dinner party at the mystery writer's house and one of the guests is a blonde lady with very short hair wearing a man's suit and tie.  No deal is made out it, which is nice, and I thought maybe she was the mystery writer's girlfriend because, at one point, she gets up and pours a drink for the hostess as everyone is discussing ways to poison someone that can't be traced.  The bird "expert" in THE BIRDS wears a man's suit and tie, too.

• DougieB, TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and 2 others like this

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

In addition to being a suspenseful mystery, Rope is a Noel Cowardesque portrait of Upper East Side elegance.  The men wear sharp suits.  Joan Chandler, as the sophisticated Janet, has some of the film’s wittiest lines.  The apartment, more like a penthouse, in which the film takes place has a scenic view of New York’s skyline, which changes color according to the passing time: morning, afternoon, twilight, and evening.  Throw in a discussion of the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, and you have one of Hitchcock’s most heady and stylish thrillers.  

I would love to see a production of the original play.

• ChristineHoard, cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

In addition to being a suspenseful mystery, Rope is a Noel Cowardesque portrait of Upper East Side elegance.  The men wear sharp suits.  Joan Chandler, as the sophisticated Janet, has some of the film’s wittiest lines.  The apartment, more like a penthouse, in which the film takes place has a scenic view of New York’s skyline, which changes color according to the passing time: morning, afternoon, twilight, and evening.  Throw in a discussion of the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, and you have one of Hitchcock’s most heady and stylish thrillers.  

• TopBilled, ChristineHoard, film lover 293 and 2 others like this

#5 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

I don't know if audiences got it on it's original release but now it's obvious the killers are a demented gay couple. One can even imagine  Bradon using that rope to tie up Philip during sex.

Hitchcock was smart about keeping the story in the apartment; it increases the suspense and sense of claustrophobia.  http://r.search.yaho...K2Do_4d.FzXCOg-

the modern case that made me think about "Rope"

• rayban likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

Jarrod -

For a no-holds-barred look at the case, please read "For The Thrill Of It": Leopold, Loeb and the Murder That Shocked Jazz Age Chicago by Simon Baatz. 

And, yes, Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb were lovers.

Thanks. Speaking of true crime, another one worth reading is Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood.'

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:49 AM

ROPE (like COMPULSION) is based on the Leopold & Loeb case. Those guys were said to have had a homosexual relationship.

screen.jpg

Jarrod -

For a no-holds-barred look at the case, please read "For The Thrill Of It": Leopold, Loeb and the Murder That Shocked Jazz Age Chicago by Simon Baatz. 

And, yes, Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb were lovers.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

A recent true crime event made me think and re-watch  Hitchcock's classic thriller about gay murderers. 

ROPE (like COMPULSION) is based on the Leopold & Loeb case. Those guys were said to have had a homosexual relationship.

screen.jpg

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#9 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

A recent true crime event made me think and re-watch  Hitchcock's classic thriller about gay murderers. 

I really like the play of the same name by Patrick Hamilton.

It is far more open about its' subject matter than the famous Hitchcock film.

And, of course, the teacher (whom Jimmy Stewart plays in the movie) is gay in the play.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users