We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

I'm back

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

As far as the reason there was no longer going to be any cruises, the official reason given was that TCM was going to have different types of events across the country and were going to focus on that. IMO the real reason was that they weren't able to recoup the money it costs to do something on this scale. It was a week long, so therefore costs to the cruisers was more. They weren't selling the more expensive cabins. I booked early and took the cheapest option which was an inside cabin. About six weeks before we sailed I was upgraded to a balcony cabin (much more expensive) so they could resell my room to someone on the waiting list. We spoke to someone who got a last minute inside cabin and probably paid the same as I did. I had been on all but one of the cruises but others who had been on all of them got upgrades before I did. Does that make sense?

#2 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:40 AM

Thanks so much for this, Helen  It must have been such fun to see the guests in person and hear their stories.  Did everyone dine together, I wonder?  Or maybe there were several places to eat.  Just curious!

Did they give any reason why this was the last cruise?  I'd always hoped to take one, so it's sad if this truly was the final hurrah.  Sounds like you had great fun and knew a lot in the games!

The passengers have a few options as far as dining. On the Disney ships they have three dining rooms and you rotate among them throughout the trip. There's also a buffet type dining area and a place where you can get fast food type items like burgers, hot dogs, pizza & sandwiches. They also have a separate restaurant for fine dining but you have to pay extra for that. I didn't see any of the "celebrities " at any of the places but I'm sure that they dined there sometimes. They did have a separate concierge lounge and a private sunning area. A couple of years ago I showed Margaret O'Brien where she could get a hot dog. LOL.

#3 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Thanks so much for this, Helen  It must have been such fun to see the guests in person and hear their stories.  Did everyone dine together, I wonder?  Or maybe there were several places to eat.  Just curious!

Did they give any reason why this was the last cruise?  I'd always hoped to take one, so it's sad if this truly was the final hurrah.  Sounds like you had great fun and knew a lot in the games!

You know, you're beginning to fascinate me, and I resent that in any man.

#4 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

That's awful. I wasnt aware of this.

#5 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Thanks. Did he mention his illness? I hadnt realized he'd been ill.

He has a rare auto immune disease called amyloidosis which causes darkening around the eyes & face. He has to wear dark glasses and he looks nothing like he used to but he has a great attitude about it. Like I stated in my previous post, he taking some kind of infusions to help combat the disease. If you search for recent pictures of him you'll see the toll it's taken on him.

#6 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

Thanks. Did he mention his illness? I hadnt realized he'd been ill.

#7 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

I see. Thanks. He was in Taming of the Shrew too...

Did they mention Something for Everyone at all?

No I don't recall. He did mention The Taming of the Shrew which lead to his casting in Romeo & Juliet. He talked just a little about the Burtons and Zeffirelli . Apparently he met his wife on the set of one of those films because she was working as photographer on R&J. He talked about knowing the Monty Python gang and appearing in a film called Smashing Time that he told Mike Myers to watch to get a sense of London during the swinging 60's. He talked about being in the musical of Lost Horizon which he enjoyed making but he regretted that it turn out to be to be a dud. They didn't talk about the Musketeers movies at all which surprised me since they were very popular at the time and he made a few of them. The only other film they talked about that I remember was Murder on the Orient Express. He indicated he was a little overwhelmed by the amount of star power. He did talk about his recent illness and how he was given a break from the chemo therapy to come on the cruise. He did look a little frail but he was out & about quite a bit on the ship with the assistance of his wife. He did say he had an offer to appear in a Hallmark production although that's about all he said about that.
  • LawrenceA likes this

#8 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

I see. Thanks. He was in Taming of the Shrew too...

Did they mention Something for Everyone at all?

#9 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:36 AM

Did Michael York have anything interesting to say about Cabaret???

He was interviewed by Illeana and she did ask him a little about filming on location in Germany but not much beyond that. They talked more about Logan's Run and Romeo & Juliet than Cabaret. Honestly, I saw Romeo & Juliet a couple of time way back when but I didn't even remember he was in it until they talked about it. They only had an hour so it was difficult to cover too much in depth.

#10 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Did Michael York have anything interesting to say about Cabaret???

#11 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

Wow thanks for the write up Helen!
That sounds like it was a lot of fun. Hope if TCM continues cruises & film fests for those who can afford to attend. At least for those of us at home, it results in interviews (Private Screenings is a TCM GEM) and recognition for those greats still with us.

The topics discussed sound great-love Leslie Caron! (I was almost named "Leslie Karen" in her honor) Why was Dick Cavett's interview your favorite?

Congrats on winning stuff too! That Harold Lloyd book is great!

I think the reason I enjoyed Cavett so much is that a lot of the interview focused on his encounters with people on his talk show. He's just so curious and seemed to know the right things to ask. Plus, he was friendly with some of those people off air. He didn't retreat to his home after the show like Carson, Letterman or Leno. Maybe he was a sycophant but it gave him great stories to tell.

#12 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:39 AM

Wow thanks for the write up Helen!

That sounds like it was a lot of fun. Hope if TCM continues cruises & film fests for those who can afford to attend. At least for those of us at home, it results in interviews (Private Screenings is a TCM GEM) and recognition for those greats still with us.

The topics discussed sound great-love Leslie Caron! (I was almost named "Leslie Karen" in her honor) Why was Dick Cavett's interview your favorite?

Congrats on winning stuff too! That Harold Lloyd book is great!

#13 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, for the update, Helen!

#14 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:24 PM

To add, I also attended a lecture by Scott Eymann regarding a book he has coming out next year called Hank & Jim about the relationship between Henry Fonda & James Stewart. During the lecture he showed the segment of their first movie On Our Merry Way a multi story film where they played musicians. I'm pretty sure it's been on TCM before about a writer who is writing stories about how the presence of a baby affects the different people in the stories. We sat next to Scott's wife and she talked to us for a while before the lecture started and was very nice.

#15 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

The cruise was a lot of fun. In the past I went alone but this year my significant other went with me. He's not into classic films like I am but he really enjoyed himself too.

The stars were Leslie Caron, Kim Novak, Michael York and Jerry Lewis. Also in attendance were Diane Baker, Alex Trebek, Dick Cavett, Lucie Arnaz, Suzanne Lloyd (Harold's granddaughter), Bruce Goldstein (NYC Film Forum), author Scott Eymann, Randy Haberkamp from AMPAS. Ben & Tiffany were there and Illeana Douglas & Eddie Muller helped out by conducting some of the interviews.

We saw interviews with Kim Novak, Dick Cavett, Michael York and. Jerry Lewis. My absolute favorite was Dick Cavett although we enjoyed Michael York as well. Kim was a little nervous and Jerry was Jerry although he still very sharp but hard of hearing.

We watched a documentary about Leslie Caron called Reluctant Star. We watched two presentations from Haberkamp; one was called The Rock & Roll Trailer Show which was a bunch of movie trailers involving Rock & Roll, and the other one was Disneyland Home Movies which were home movies taken at the beginning of the park's existence. At the end of that presentation Suzanne Lloyd showed some 3-D slides taken by Harold Lloyd with a stereoscopic camera. After the end of the presentation Randy asked a question What was Harold Lloyd's last 2 movies and I answered one of them so I won a great book with Harold's photos with the glasses included. I also won a DVD of Remember the Night when I played Bingo with Ben (I answered first when he asked who the stars were--I wish I had won the Bingo money but at least I won something.)

I went to see a presentation by Eddie Muller about boxing in films. It was really good. I saw Leslie, Diane, Lucie & Michael in passing on the ship. I just didn't have time to see everything I wanted to see. We watched a few movies but not as many as I would have liked. I had seen most of the movies before anyway.

The Hot Sardines (jazz band specialiizing in 20's and 30's music) and Jennifer Keith (mainly 40's and 50's song singer) were performing as well as a couple of other acts.

Kim Novak had an art show with paintings she did based on the film Vertigo and sold everything she brought. The prices I think were several thousand dollars so needless to say I didn't purchase anything.

The ports of call were St. Maarten, San Juan and Disney's private island Castaway Cay. It was very hot & humid. We went to the. Bacardi place in San Juan and drank a few rum drinks before 11 am. Nothing like daytime drinking. LOL.

Alex Trebek did a couple of trivia contests but we didn't get to attend. The venue filled up way before we got there. Dick Cavett had a book signing but they ran out of books to purchase so I missed out on that as well.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things but the week went by very fast. A lot of people were disappointed that it was the last cruise and we all signed a petition to continue the cruise. I guess time will tell if they do it again. It was a great vacation.
  • TikiSoo, lavenderblue19, speedracer5 and 2 others like this

#16 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,724 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:43 PM

Hope you have some good dish to serve us!!!

#17 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

It was a great cruise as always. I'm trying to get some things done right now but I'll write up something in a couple of days.

Too bad it was the last one. Everyone I met seemed to enjoy themselves.
  • laffite, TheGayDivorcee and LawrenceA like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users