We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

VOTING THREAD for TCM Programming Challenge #34

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Confound those Dover Boys!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

As the setting sun glistens on our keyboards, and with the promise of Lydecker's future challenges, we reluctantly say farewell to the 34th TCM Programming Challenge.

TCMProgrammer, you can archive this now :)

• lydecker likes this

#2 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

Congrats Lydecker! 

February is good for me.  I'm so busy right now and I'm supposed to be in a new position by January at work, so I'm hoping that it'll free up some time for me :-)

• lydecker likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#3 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

Congrats Lydecker! 

February is good for me.  I'm so busy right now and I'm supposed to be in a new position by January at work, so I'm hoping that it'll free up some time for me :-)

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#4 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

Congratulations, Lydecker!! 

:)

• lydecker likes this

#5 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

Holy heck!!  Thanks so much for your support and thanks to Edna May, Martin Sheen, etc. for being such great candidates.  I'll start thinking of possible challenge ideas, etc. and dates.  I'm thinking, no earlier than February, 2017, since we'd all like to get through the holidays.

Again, thanks to everyone and a special thanks to Lonesome Polecat for being such a great moderator.

Lydecker

• SueSueApplegate, LatriceRoyale, film lover 293 and 2 others like this

#6 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:17 AM

By voting for Lydecker's schedule, you have also elected his cabinet:

President Edna May Oliver

DrumsMoEdnaMay.png

VP Martin Sheen

martin-sheen-from-the-west-wing-13522067

Sec. of State Walter Pidgeon

advise-consent.jpg

Sec. of Defense Carrie Fisher

cf0ba1b39a8d6cb14da00456eba1fb34.jpg

1:15 PM The Empire Strikes Back (1980) Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford & Carrie Fisher. Dir:  Irvin Kershner. 20th Century Fox, 124 min. Challenge Exempt

• SueSueApplegate, lydecker, Stevomachino and 1 other like this

#7 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:09 AM

And the winner is........

LYDECKER

waldo.jpeg

Thanks for all who voted and a big thank you to all of our participants. It has been SO fun to see what you guys come up with, especially your candidates. I hope TCM copies your ideas.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

--LP

• SueSueApplegate, Stevomachino and Azure like this

#8 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:33 AM

Lydecker --  I appreciate your kind words.  Your schedule was excellent, too.  You came up with a lot of clever ideas, but I'll just mention a few of my favorites.  I love how you used quotes to show the different themes for your schedule.  My favorite one is for the Beautiful Monsters theme -- "She looks like a cross between Lucrezia Borgia and Peg O' My Heart".  LOL!!  I also loved the Seven Dwarfs-themed films.  My #1 favorite thing on your schedule is your choice for president -- Edna May Oliver.  I would definitely vote for her! 

I wholeheartedly agree with Lydecker's comments about the other schedules.  So many great ideas!  In addition to what has already been said, I'd like to say....

Speedracer -- I loved your 24-hour Disney day.  I wish I had thought of that!  There were so many of my favorite Disney films on your list.  I enjoyed seeing all the WW2 Donald Duck cartoons on your Treasures from the Disney Vault schedule. 

Barton Keyes -- I'm glad that you chose to do the "Disney Vault" challenge as well.  Great film choices!  I really appreciate the fact that you included the documentary about the two legendary Disney animators, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston. 

SansFin -- I loved that you chose Lee Tracy as the SOTM and that you honored the brilliant team of Norman Panama and Melvin Frank.  (I'm sorry to hear that you had to withdraw your schedule.  You had a lot of great theme ideas!)

I voted by PM a couple of days ago.  Good luck, everyone!

• LonesomePolecat likes this

#9 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:32 AM

Lonesome Polecat,

I PM'ed you with my vote, could you please confirm that you received my choice?

Thank you.

I got it!

#10 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:21 PM

I vote for Lydecker.

• lydecker likes this

#11 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:25 PM

26 hours left to vote!

Lonesome Polecat,

I PM'ed you with my vote, could you please confirm that you received my choice?

Thank you.

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#12 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

This was a tough, tough choice.

Speedracer 5

I thought your use of "studios" as the thread which went through the whole week was brilliant.  Right up there in the: "Hmm, wish I had thought of that idea" category. Also loved your BD salutes to William Frawley and Desi Arnaz.  RKO noir was fun and your choice of John Agar for your TCM Underground Leading Man was inspired.  I only wish you would have had time to include my personal John Agar favorite:  "The Brain From Planet Arous."  When the superior brain opts to go into the dog's body instead of John Agar's, well, you know that was a really, really intelligent species.

SanFins

Your schedules are always so clever and your use of funny "Days" was great.  Who knew that "Hairball Awareness Day" even existed but, thanks to you, we all do now.  Some of my favorite days were:  Telegraph Day, Talk Like Shakespeare Days and Marconi's BD. Great job, as always.

Barton Keyes

At last, an inspired take on December movies!  Loved Christmas with Bob & Bing (But Not Together) along with Edmund Gwenn. Sydney Greenstreet more than deserves a birthday salute and I really liked your SOTM selection, Mia Farrow.  Finally, your TCM Underground selections "The Last Days of Davis & Crawford" was grand.  Glad to see you back doing a schedule!

Azure

Your Sunday line-up --  "Make 'Em Laugh/Silence is Golden"  --  was wonderful.  Also loved your salutes to James Wong Howe, Wilder & Brackett and Brunette Beauties.  Your spotlight "Golden Girls of Hollywood" was super and my favorite part of your schedule.  I love the work of those "old ladies" and they deserve to be in the spotlight!

All super schedules but my vote goes to Azure for a schedule that was extremely clever and one that I very much would like to see on TCM!

Lydecker

• Azure likes this

#13 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:21 AM

26 hours left to vote!

#14 FItzMularkey

FItzMularkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

Is there still time to vote??  If so, my vote goes to Lydecker.

#15 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

I vote for BartonKeyes.

#16 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:45 AM

Sad to hear that, SansFin, but no problem!

#17 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

I am sorry to say that I must ask that my schedule be excluded from the voting. My anticipated schedule for many months to come would make hosting a TCM Programming Challenge very difficult. To be excluded from the voting will save me some embarrassment also as this schedule was done hurriedly and so is not the best.

I have scanned quickly the other schedules and have come to the conclusion that it will be very difficult to select one! They are all quite excellent and and each has some very wonderful aspects. It may require days of consideration to make a selection. 

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#18 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:22 AM

This is the voting thread for the TCM Programming Challenge #34. Peruse the schedules and pick your favorite. You can PM me or just post your vote here. Only one vote per person.

The winner hosts the next challenge and gloats for a while.

These schedules take a LOT of effort, so the writers of the schedules also appreciate all the nice comments you got

VOTING ENDS Wednesday November 30th at 11:59pm Pacific Time

#19 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:21 AM

Azure's Schedule

(Week of January 15-21, 2017)

Sunday, January 15, 2017

[Daytime Theme - Make 'Em Laugh! - Comedy Duos & Trios]

6:00 AM  The Three Musketeers (1939) Don Ameche & The Ritz Brothers, Dir: Allan Dwan, Fox, 73 min. (*Premiere*)

7:20 AM  SHORT: Hotel Anchovy (1934) The Ritz Brothers, Dir: Al Christie, Educational Films Corporation, 18 min.

7:45 AM  The Nitwits (1935) Bert Wheeler, Robert Woolsey & Betty Grable, Dir: George Stevens, RKO, 81 min. (p/s)

9:15 AM  Reducing (1931) Marie Dressler & Polly Moran, Dir: Charles Reisner, MGM, 77 min. (p/s)

10:45 AM  Six of a Kind (1934) Charles Ruggles, Mary Boland & W.C. Fields (with George Burns & Gracie Allen), Dir: Leo McCarey, Paramount, 62 min. (*Premiere*)

11:50 AM  SHORT: Lambchops (1929) George Burns & Gracie Allen, Dir: Murray Roth, Warner Bros., 8 min.

12:00 PM  The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (1930) Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, Dir: James Parrott, Hal Roach Studios, 30 min. (p/s)

12:30 PM  The Music Box (1932) Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, Dir: James Parrott, Hal Roach Studios, 29 min, (p/s)

1:00 PM  Who Done It? (1942) Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Dir: Erle C. Kenton, Universal, 77 min. (p/s)

2:30 PM  You're Never Too Young (1955) Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Dir: Norman Taurog, Paramount, 102 min, (p/s)

4:15 PM  Road to Morocco (1942) Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour, Dir: David Butler, Paramount, 82 min., (p/s)

5:45 PM - At the Circus (1939) The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont, Dir: Edward Buzzell, MGM, 87 min. (p/s)

7:15 PM  SHORT: Bargain of the Century (1933) Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts, Dir: Charley Chase, Hal Roach Studios, 20 min.

7:40 PM  SHORT: Violent is the Word for Curly (1938) The Three Stooges, Dir: Charley Chase, Columbia, 18 min.

[Primetime Theme - Silence is Golden - Silent Comedies]

8:00 PM  Her Wild Oat (1927) Colleen Moore, Larry Kent, Dir: Marshall Neilan, First National Pictures, 70 min. (*Premiere*)

9:15 PM  Mantrap (1926) Clara Bow, Ernest Torrence, Dir: Victor Fleming, Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, 86 min. (*Premiere*)

10:45 PM -The Gold Rush (1925) Charlie Chaplin, Mack Swain, Dir: Charlie Chaplin, Charlie Chaplin Productions, 95 min. (p/s)

[Silent Sunday Night]

12:30 AM  The Freshman (1925) Harold Lloyd, Jobyna Ralston, Dir: Fred C. Newmeyer, The Harold Lloyd Corporation, 76 min. (p/s) 

1:46 AM  SHORT: The City Slicker (1918) Harold Lloyd, Bebe Daniels, Dir: Gilbert Pratt, Rolin Films, 12 min.

[TCM Imports]

2:00 AM  The Oyster Princess (Die Austernprinzessin) (1919) Victor Janson, Ossi Oswalda, Dir: Ernst Lubitsch, Projektions-AG Union, 58 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

3:00 AM  Sherlock Jr. (1924) Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire, Dir. Buster Keaton, Buster Keaton Productions, 45 min. (p/s)

3:45 AM  SHORT: The Scarecrow (1920) Buster Keaton, Edward F. Cline, Dir: Buster Keaton & Edward F. Cline, Joseph M. Schenck Productions, 20 min.

4:15 AM  Enchantment (1921) Marion Davies, Forrest Stanley, Dir: Robert G. Vignola, Cosmopolitan Productions, 90 min. (p/s)

5:45 AM  SHORT: Mabel's Wilful Way (1915) Mabel Normand, Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, Dir: Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, Keystone Film Company, 11 min.

==

Monday, January 16, 2017

[Daytime Theme -- Musical Monday]

6:00 AM  Mad About Music (1938) Deanna Durbin, Herbert Marshall, Dir: Norman Taurog, Universal, 100 min. (*Premiere*)

7:45 AM  What's Cookin'? (1942) The Andrews Sisters, Jane Frazee (with Donald O'Connor and Peggy Ryan), Dir: Edward F. Cline, Universal, 69 min. (*Premiere*)

9:00 AM  Easter Parade (1948) Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Dir: Charles Walters, MGM, 108 min. (p/s)

11:00 AM  Calamity Jane (1953) Doris Day, Howard Keel, Dir: David Butler, Warner Bros., 101 min. (p/s)

12:41 PM  SHORT: Sing, Bing, Sing (1933) Bing Crosby, Florine McKinney, Dir: Babe Stafford, Mack Sennett Comedies, 19 min.

[Challenge #3 - LP's Most Wanted Musicals]

1:00 PM  Walking My Baby Back Home (1953) Donald O'Connor, Janet Leigh, Dir: Lloyd Bacon, Universal, 94 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

2:45 PM  Red Garters (1954) Jack Carson, Rosemary Clooney, Dir: George Marshall, Paramount, 91 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

4:16 PM  SHORT: Every Sunday (1936) Judy Garland, Deanna Durbin, Dir: Felix E. Feist, MGM, 11 min. (p/s)

4:30 PM  Damn Yankees (1958) Tab Hunter, Gwen Verdon, Ray Walston, Dir: George Abbott & Stanley Donen, Warner Bros., 111 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

6:30 PM  The Shocking Miss Pilgrim (1947) Betty Grable, Dick Haymes, Dir: George Seaton, Fox, 85 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

[Primetime Theme -- Bob's Picks]

8:00 PM  Son of Fury: The Story of Benjamin Blake (1942) Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, Dir: John Cromwell, Fox, 98 min. (p/s)

9:45 PM  The House on 92nd Street (1945) William Eythe, Lloyd Nolan, Dir: Henry Hathaway, Fox, 88 min. (p/s)

11:15 PM  Cluny Brown (1946) Charles Boyer, Jennifer Jones, Dir: Ernst Lubitsch, Fox, 100 min. (p/s)

1:00 AM  The Wrong Box (1966) John Mills, Ralph Richardson, Michael Caine, Dir: Bryan Forbes, Salamander Film Productions, 107 min. (p/s)

3:00 AM  Slightly Dangerous (1943) Lana Turner, Robert Young, Dir: Wesley Ruggles, MGM, 94 min., (p/s)

4:45 AM  My Name is Julia Ross (1945) Nina Foch, Dame May Whitty, Dir: Joseph H. Lewis, Columbia, 65 min. (p/s)

==

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

[Theme - 24-hour Tribute to James Wong Howe]

6:00 AM  Peter Pan (1924) Betty Bronson, Ernest Torrence, Dir: Herbert Brenon, Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, 105 min. (*Premiere*)

7:45 AM -The Thin Man (1934) William Powell, Myrna Loy, Dir: W.S. Van Dyke, MGM, 93 min. (p/s)

9:30 AM -The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Dir: John Cromwell, Selznick International Pictures, 101 min., (p/s)

11:15 AM  Kings Row (1942) Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Reagan, Dir: Sam Wood, Warner Bros., 127 min. (p/s)

1:30 PM  Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) James Cagney, Joan Leslie, Walter Huston, Dir: Michael Curtiz, Warner Bros., 126 min. (p/s)

3:45 PM -Body and Soul (1947) John Garfield, Lilli Palmer, Dir: Robert Rossen, Enterprise Productions, 104 min. (p/s)

5:30 PM  Picnic (1955) William Holden, Kim Novak, Dir: Joshua Logan, Columbia, 115 min., (p/s)

7:30 PM  SHORT: James Wong Howe, ASC: A Lesson in Light (1973), D: Arthur Kaye, 22 min.

8:00 PM The Rose Tattoo (1955) Anna Magnani, Burt Lancaster, Dir: Daniel Mann, Hal Wallis Productions, 117 min. (p/s)

10:00 PM  The Sweet Smell of Success (1957) Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, Dir: Alexander Mackendrick, Hecht-Hill-Lancaster Productions, 96 min., (p/s)

11:45 PM  Bell, Book and Candle (1958) James Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon,  Dir: Richard Quine, Phoenix Productions, 106 min. (p/s)

1:30 AM  Hud (1963) Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal, Dir: Martin Ritt, Paramount, 112 min. (p/s)

3:30 AM  The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1968) Alan Arkin, Sondra Locke, D: Robert Ellis Miller, Warner Bros./Seven Arts, 123 min. (p/s)

5:33 AM  SHORT: Lumiere's First Picture Shows (1895-1897) (2013), Film Preservation Associates, 27 min. (p/s)

==

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

[Daytime Theme -- Happy Birthday, Danny Kaye!]

6:00 AM  Up in Arms (1944) Danny Kaye, Dinah Shore, Dana Andrews, Dir: Elliott Nugent, Samuel Goldwyn Productions, 106 min. (p/s)

8:00 AM  Wonder Man (1945) Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, Vera-Ellen, Dir: H. Bruce Humberstone, Samuel Goldwyn Productions, 98 min. (p/s)

9:45 AM  The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947) Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, Boris Karloff, Dir: Norman Z. McLeod, Samuel Goldwyn Productions, 110 min., (p/s)

11:45 AM  On The Riviera (1951) Danny Kaye, Gene Tierney, Dir: Walter Lang, Fox, 90 min. (p/s)

1:15 PM  Hans Christian Andersen (1952) Danny Kaye, Farley Granger, D: Charles Vidor, Samuel Goldwyn Productions, 120 min. (p/s)

3:15 PM  Knock on Wood (1954) Danny Kaye, Mai Zetterling, Dir: Melvin Frank & Norman Panama, Dena Productions/Paramount, 103 min., (*Premiere*)

5:00 PM  The Court Jester (1955) Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Dir: Melvin Frank & Norman Panama, Dena Productions/Paramount, 101 min., (p/s)

6:45 PM  SHORT: Dime a Dance (1937) Imogene Coca, Danny Kaye, June Allyson, Dir: Educational Films Corporation, 18 min.

7:05 PM  SHORT: Getting an Eyeful (1938) Charles Kemper, Danny Kaye, Sally Starr, Dir: William Watson, Educational Films Corporation, 17 min.

7:25 PM  SHORT: Cupid Takes a Holiday (1938) Danny Kaye, Douglas Leavitt, Estelle Jayne, Dir: William Watson, Educational Films Corporation, 15 min.

7:40 PM  SHORT: Money on Your Life (1938) Charles Kemper, Danny Kaye, Harry Gribbon, Dir: William Watson, Educational Films Corporation, 18 min.

[Primetime - SOTM - The Brunette Beauties of Hollywood]

8:00 PM  The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison, Dir: Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Fox, 104 min. (p/s)

9:45 PM  Carmen Jones (1954) Dorothy Dandridge, Harry Belafonte, Dir: Otto Preminger, Carlyle Productions/Fox, 105 min. (p/s)

11:30 PM - The Man I Married (1940) Joan Bennett, Francis Lederer, Dir: Irving Pichel, Fox, 77 min. (p/s)

1:00 AM  Flower Drum Song (1961) Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta, Miyoshi Umeki, Dir: Henry Koster, Universal International, 132 min. (p/s)

3:15 AM  Footsteps in the Fog (1955) Jean Simmons, Stewart Granger, Dir: Arthur Lubin, Frankovich Productions, 90 min. (p/s)

4:45 AM  Jewel Robbery (1932) Kay Francis, William Powell, Dir: William Dieterle, Warner Bros., 70 min. (p/s)

==

Thursday, January 19, 2017

[Daytime Theme -- Challenge #2 -The Art of Collaboration - Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett]

6:00 AM The Lost Weekend (1945) Ray Milland, Jane Wyman, Dir: Billy Wilder, Paramount, 99 min. (p/s)

7:45 AM  The Major and the Minor (1942) Ginger Rogers, Ray Milland, Dir: Billy Wilder, Paramount, 100 min. (p/s)

9:30 AM  Five Graves to Cairo (1943) Franchot Tone, Anne Baxter, Dir: Billy Wilder, Paramount, 96 min. (p/s)

11:15 AM  Ninotchka (1939) Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Dir: Ernst Lubitsch, MGM, 110 min. (p/s)

1:15 PM  Hold Back the Dawn (1941) Charles Boyer, Olivia de Havilland, Dir: Mitchell Leisen, Paramount, 116 min. (p/s)

3:15 PM  Midnight (1939) Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, Dir: Mitchell Leisen, Paramount, 94 min. (p/s)

5:00 PM  Sunset Boulevard (1950) William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Dir: Billy Wilder, Paramount, 110 min. (p/s)

7:00 PM  Hollywood without Makeup (1963) Dir: Rudy Behlmer, Loring d'Usseau & Ken Murray, 50 min. (p/s)

[Primetime Theme - Challenge #4 - Treasures from the Disney Vault]

8:00 PM  The Moon-Spinners (1964) Hayley Mills, Eli Wallach, Pola Negri, Dir: James Neilson. Walt Disney Productions, 118 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

10:00 PM  Candleshoe (1977) Jodie Foster, David Niven, Helen Hayes, Dir: Norman Tokar,  Walt Disney Productions, 101 min. (p/s)

11:45 PM - Classic Disney Cartoons

- Mickey's Polo Team (1936), Mickey Mouse, Dir: David Hand, Walt Disney Productions, 9 min.

- Mickey's Trailer (1938), Mickey, Donald, & Goofy, Dir: Ben Sharpsteen, Walt Disney Productions, 8 min.

- Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip (1940), Mickey Mouse & Pluto, Dir: Clyde Geronimi, Walt Disney Productions, 8 min.

- How to Swim (1942), Goofy, Dir: Jack Kinney, Walt Disney Productions, 8 min.

- Donald's Off Day (1944), Donald Duck, Dir: Jack Hannah, Walt Disney Productions, 8 min.

12:30 AM  It All Started with a Mouse: The Disney Story (1989), Dir: Alan Benson, Walt Disney Productions, 60 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

1:30 AM -Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, "Music for Everybody" (1966), Dir: Hamilton Luske, Walt Disney Productions, 60 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

2:30 AM  The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975) Bill Bixby, Susan Clark (with Don Knotts & Tim Conway) Dir: Norman Tokar, Walt Disney Productions, 100 min. (p/s)

4:15 AM  Never A Dull Moment (1968) Dick Van Dyke, Edward G. Robinson, Dir: Jerry Paris, Walt Disney Productions, 99 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

==

Friday, January 20, 2017

[Daytime Theme -- Challenge #1 - Choose Your Candidate -- Claudette Colbert for President!!]

6:00 AM  Torch Singer (1933) Claudette Colbert, Ricardo Cortez, Dir: Alexander Hall & George Somnes, Paramount, 71 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

7:15 AM  The Gilded Lily (1935) Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, Dir: Wesley Ruggles, Paramount, 80 min. (*Exempt Premiere*)

8:45 AM  Tovarich (1937) Claudette Colbert, Charles Boyer, Dir: Anatole Litvak, Warner Bros., 98 min. (p/s)

10:30 AM  Remember the Day (1941) Claudette Colbert, John Payne, Dir: Henry King, Fox, 86 min. (p/s)

12:00 PM  Since You Went Away (1944) Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Shirley Temple, Dir: John Cromwell, Vanguard Films/Selznick International, 172 min., (p/s)

3:00 PM  The Egg and I (1947) Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, Dir: Chester Erskine, Universal International, 108 min. (p/s)

5:00 PM  Three Came Home (1950) Claudette Colbert, Patric Knowles, Dir: Jean Negulesco, Fox, 106 min. (p/s)

6:45 PM  SHORT: How to Vote (1936) Robert Benchley, Dir: Felix E. Feist, MGM, 10 min

7:00 PM  Hollywood, My Hometown (1965) Ken Murray, Dir: William Martin, Filmaster, 54 min. (p/s)

[Primetime -- Friday Night Spotlight -- The Golden Girls of Hollywood -- Guest Host: Sophia Petrillo]

8:00 PM  Murder, She Said (1961) Margaret Rutherford, Arthur Kennedy, Dir: George P-ollock, MGM, 87 min. (p/s)

9:30 PM  Granny Get Your Gun (1940) May Robson, Harry Davenport, Dir: George Amy, Warner Bros., 56 min. (p/s)

10:30 PM  The Penguin Pool Murder (1932) Edna May Oliver, James Gleason, Dir: George Archainbaud, RKO, 70 min. (p/s)

11:45 PM  Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone (1950) Marjorie Main, James Whitmore, Dir: Norman Taurog, MGM, 69 min. (p/s)

1:00 AM  SHORT: The Stolen Jools (1931) Norma Shearer, Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Dir: William C. McGann, The Masquers Club of Hollywood, 20 min.

1:30 AM The Mating Season (1951) Gene Tierney, John Lund, Thelma Ritter, Dir: Mitchell Leisen, Paramount, 101 min. (p/s)

3:15 AM  Prosperity (1932) Marie Dressler, Polly Moran, Dir: Sam Wood, MGM, 87 min. (p/s)

4:45 AM  Marry the Girl (1937) Mary Boland, Frank McHugh, Hugh Herbert, Dir: William C. McGann, Warner Bros., 68 min. (p/s)

==

Saturday, January 21, 2017

[Daytime Theme: Drop That Name!]

(Vincente Minnelli and Arthur Freed)

6:00 AM - Bells Are Ringing (1960) Judy Holliday, Dean Martin, Dir: Vincente Minnelli, MGM, 126 min., (p/s)

(Lucille Ball and Gene Kelly)

8:15 AM - Du Barry Was a Lady (1943) Red Skelton, Lucille Ball, Gene Kelly, Dir: Roy Del Ruth, MGM, 96 min. (p/s)

(Vivien Leigh and Raymond Massey)

10:00 AM  Fire Over England (1937) Flora Robson, Raymond Massey, Dir: William K. Howard, London Film Productions, 92 min., (p/s)

(Doris Day and Oscar Levant)

11:45 AM  Romance on the High Seas (1948) Doris Day, Jack Carson, Dir: Michael Curtiz, Warner Bros., 99 min. (p/s)

(Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly)

1:30 PM  High Society (1956) Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Dir: Charles Walters, MGM, 111 min. (p/s)

(Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell)

3:30 PM  His Girl Friday (1940) Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Dir: Howard Hawks, Columbia, 92 min. (p/s)

(Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, & Rory Calhoun)

5:15 PM  How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall, Dir: Jean Negulesco, Fox, 95 min. (p/s)

(.......and Rin Tin Tin)

7:00 PM  Death Goes North (1937) Edgar Edwards, Sheila Bromley, Dir: Frank McDonald, Central Films, 56 min. (*Premiere*)

[Primetime - The Essentials]

8:00 PM  Double Indemnity (1944) Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson, Dir: Billy Wilder, Paramount, 107 min., (p/s)

10:00 PM  The Stranger (1946) Edward G. Robinson, Loretta Young, Orson Welles, Dir: Orson Welles, International Pictures, 95 min. (p/s)

11:45 PM  The File on Thelma Jordon (1950) Barbara Stanwyck, Wendell Corey, Dir: Robert Siodmak, Hal Wallis Productions, 100 min., (p/s)

1:15 AM  Pushover (1954) Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak, Dir: Richard Quine, Columbia, 88 min., (p/s)

[TCM Underground]

2:45 AM  Freaks (1932) Wallace Ford, Leila Hyams, Dir: Tod Browning, MGM, 64 min. (p/s)

4:00 AM  Carnival of Souls (1962) Candace Hilligoss, Frances Feist, Dir: Herk Harvey, Harcourt Productions, 78 min. (p/s)

5:20 AM  SHORT: The Tell-Tale Heart (1953) Dir: Ted Parmalee, UPA, 8 min.

5:30 AM  SHORT: They're Always Caught (1938), Dir: Harold S. Bucquet, MGM, 22 min.

Azure's Notes

(Week of January 15-21, 2017)

Stars of the Month The Brunette Beauties of Hollywood (pre-1970)

Silent Sunday Night:  The Freshman (1925) (and other silent films)

TCM Imports:  The Oyster Princess (Die Austernprinzessin) (1919)

Friday Night Spotlight:  The Golden Girls of Hollywood (pre-1970)

The EssentialsDouble Indemnity (1944)

TCM Underground: Freaks (1932), Carnival of Souls (1962)

Challenge #1 - (Your Candidate) - Claudette Colbert

Challenge #2 - (The Art of Collaboration) - Billy Wilder & Charles Brackett

Challenge #3 - (LP's Most Wanted) - Walking My Baby Back Home (1953), Red Garters (1954), Damn Yankees (1958), The Shocking Miss Pilgrim (1947)

Challenge #4 - Treasures from the Disney Vault

PREMIERES:

The Three Musketeers (1939)

Six of a Kind (1934)

Her Wild Oat (1927)

Mantrap (1926)

Mad About Music (1938)

What's Cookin'? (1942)

Peter Pan (1924)

Knock on Wood (1954)

Death Goes North (1937)

EXEMPT PREMIERES:

The Oyster Princess (1919)

Walking My Baby Back Home (1953)

Red Garters (1954)

Damn Yankees (1958)

The Shocking Miss Pilgrim (1947)

Torch Singer (1933)

The Gilded Lily (1935)

The Moon-Spinners (1964)

Never a Dull Moment (1968)

It All Started with a Mouse: The Disney Story (1989)

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, "Music for Everybody" (1966)

BY DECADE:

1910s - 1

1920s - 8

1930s - 24

1940s - 30

1950s - 23

1960s - 12

1970s - 2

1980s - 1

1990s - 0

2000s - 0

2010s - 0

Sunday is "Fun Day" on TCM!  I'm saluting comic actors and actresses with a 24-hour marathon of comedy films. The daytime is devoted to the films of comedy duos and trios, and the evening is devoted to comic actors/actresses of the silent era. The highlights of the daytime lineup are the premieres of The Three Musketeers (1939) (with the Ritz Brothers) and Six of a Kind (with George Burns and Gracie Allen).  We kick off the marathon of silents with 2 premieres - Her Wild Oat (with Colleen Moore) and Mantrap (with Clara Bow).  Occupying the usual time slot for "Silent Sunday Night" is my main man Harold Lloyd.  I picked one of my favorite Harold Lloyd films, The Freshman, which is followed by one of my favorite short films, The City Slicker.  For TCM Imports, I picked The Oyster Princess (Die Austernprinzessin), which is one of Ernst Lubitsch's best silent comedies.

==

It's all about musicals on Monday morning/afternoon.  We start the day off with the premieres of my own most-wanted musicals (Mad About Music and What's Cookin'?), followed by a couple of musical films starring my favorite musical stars -- Judy Garland and Doris Day.  After that, we have mini-marathon of LonesomePolecat's most-wanted musicals and a Betty Grable film. (Challenge #3). 

In the evening, I'm paying tribute to TCM host Robert Osborne with an evening full of "Bob's Picks".  I've been introduced to several great films after watching "Bob's Picks", so this is my way of saying "Thank you" to Mr. Osborne. Like many of you, I really miss him and I hope that we'll see him back on TCM again soon. 

==

On Tuesday, I'm saluting legendary cinematographer James Wong Howe with a 24-hour marathon of films that he has worked on.  The "master of lights" started his career during the silent era and worked steadily into the mid-1970s.  We start the day off with the premiere of one of his silent films, Peter Pan (1924), followed by a lineup of other noteworthy films.  James Wong Howe won Academy Awards for The Rose Tattoo and Hud, both of which are included in the lineup. 

==

On Wednesday morning/afternoon, I'm celebrating Danny Kaye's birthday with a marathon of his films.  One of the highlights of the day is the premiere of Knock on Wood.  The birthday tribute is topped off with 4 short films that Danny Kaye made in the 1930s. 

The evening is devoted to the Stars of the Month -- the brunette beauties of Hollywood (pre-1970).  A few years ago, TCM had a "Battle of the Blondes" theme for the SOTM, so I decided that it was time for the brunettes to have their turn.  There's no "battle" this time around -- just an evening featuring the ravishing, raven-haired leading ladies of Hollywood's Golden Age.  For Week 3 of the SOTM for January, I'm honoring Gene Tierney, Dorothy Dandridge, Joan Bennett, Nancy Kwan, Jean Simmons and Kay Francis. 

==

The daytime lineup for Thursday features the films of screenwriting duo Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett (Challenge #2).  This legendary duo wrote some of the best-known and best-loved classic films. 

Thursday evening is a night of Treasures from the Disney Vault (Challenge #4).  The lineup of films includes the premieres of The Moon-Spinners and Never a Dull Moment (1968), along with classic Disney cartoons, a Disney documentary and an episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.  The first Disney cartoon, Mickey's Polo Team, is a little gem that classic film fans would get a kick out of.  The animated versions of several classic movie stars appear in this film, including Harpo Marx, Charlie Chaplin and Shirley Temple. 

==

Friday, January 20th, is Inauguration Day, so I thought that would be a good day to feature my presidential candidate -- Claudette Colbert. (Challenge #1)  To be honest, I originally intended her to be the Star of the Month.  However, as I looked at her list of films, I kept thinking that she would make a great presidential candidate.  In many of her films, she has exhibited the qualities of an ideal candidate -- leadership, inner strength, intelligence, dignity, class, wit and charm. 

For the Friday Night Spotlight, I'm paying tribute to the "Golden Girls" of Hollywood (pre-1970).  The "Golden Girls" are all the beloved, scene-stealing character actresses who were 50 years old or older.  The guest host for each the Spotlight nights would be one of the 4 main characters from the 80s TV show The Golden Girls.  The guest host for Week 3 is Sophia Petrillo (aka Estelle Getty).  (It cracks me up to think of Sophia as a guest host, wisecracking her way through the night in all her straw-purse-toting glory.) This particular Spotlight night features character actresses in starring roles.  The first 4 films are all mystery/comedy-drama films, which are followed by 3 more comedies.  For Week 3 of the Friday Night Spotlight, I'm honoring Margaret Rutherford, May Robson, Edna May Oliver, Marjorie Main, Thelma Ritter, Marie Dressler and Mary Boland. 

(Note: In the films featured on the Spotlight night, each actress was at least 50 years old at the time the movie was made, except for Edna May Oliver and Thelma Ritter.  They were only 49 at the time their movies were made, but hey, that's close enough!)

==

It has often been said that some people in the entertainment industry enjoy name-dropping.  Betty Comden and Adolph Green (and Jule Styne) even wrote a song about it for the Broadway musical Bells Are Ringing, which was later made into a film.  The name of the song is titled "Drop That Name" (very appropriate).  On Saturday morning/afternoon, I'm honoring several of the people who were mentioned in the film version of the song.  In order to get in as many as I could, I decided to pick films that featured at least two of the people mentioned in the song.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the "Drop that Name" song, here's a video clip.  (Sorry, but the video quality isn't the greatest.)

For The Essentials, I picked a film that is considered to be one of the best film noirs (if not THE best) -- Double Indemnity.  It also happens to be one of my favorite films.  The film is followed by film noirs starring each of the 3 main actors in Double Indemnity - Edward G. Robinson, Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray.  For TCM Underground, it's all about creepy carnivals -- Freaks and Carnival of Souls (1962).

#20 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:20 AM

speedracer5's Schedule

February 26, 2017 

DAYTIME THEME: Happy Birthday William Frawley! 

6:00am FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK (1941) Errol Flynn, Brenda Marshall, Ralph Bellamy. Dir. Lloyd Bacon. Warner Brothers. 93 mins. (p/s).

7:45am GENTLEMAN JIM (1942) Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, Jack Carson. Dir. Raoul Walsh. Warner Brothers. 104 mins. (p/s).

9:30am THE BRIDE CAME COD (1941) James Cagney, Bette Davis, Stuart Erwin. Dir. William Keighley. Warner Brothers. 94 mins (p/s).

11:15am MY WILD IRISH ROSE (1947) Dennis Morgan, Arlene Dahl, Andrea King. Dir. David Butler. Warner Brothers. 98 mins (p/s).

DAYTIME THEME: Eddie, Bogie and Jimmy 

1:00pm ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938) James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Humphrey Bogart. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 97 mins (p/s).

2:45pm SMART MONEY (1931) Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney, Evalyn Knapp. Dir. Alfred E. Green. Warner Brothers. 67 mins. (p/s).

4:00pm KID GALAHAD (1937) Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, Humphery Bogart. Dir. Michael Curtiz. Warner Brothers. 102 mins (p/s).

5:45pm THE ROARING TWENTIES (1939) James Cagney, Priscilla Lane, Humphrey Bogart. Dir. Raoul Walsh. Warner Brothers. 104 mins (p/s). 

7:30pm RACKETEER RABBIT (1946) Bugs Bunny, Rocky, Hugo. Dir. I. Freleng. Warner Brothers. 8 mins. Short. 

7:45pm BUGS AND THUGS (1954) Bugs Bunny, Rocky, Hugo. Dir. I. Freleng. Warner Brothers. 7 mins. Short. 

PRIMETIME: Directed by George Abbot & Stanley Donen

8:00pm DAMN YANKEES (1958) Tab Hunter, Gwen Verdon, Ray Walston. Dir. George Abbot & Stanley Donen. Warner Brothers. 110 mins (EXEMPT PREMIERE).

10:00pm THE PAJAMA GAME (1957) Doris Day, John Raitt, Carol Haney. Dir. George Abbot & Stanley Donen. Warner Brothers. 101 mins (PREMIERE #1). 

11:45pm BREAKDOWNS OF 1938 (1938) Warner Brothers. 13 mins. Short. 

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT

12:00am LILAC TIME (1928) Colleen Moore, Gary Cooper, Burr McIntosh. Dir. George Fitzmaurice. Warner Brothers. 110 mins. (SILENT-EXEMPT)

TCM IMPORTS- British Cinema released by Warner Brothers

2:00am THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE (1953) Errol Flynn, Roger Livesey, Anthony Steel. Dir. William Keighley. Warner Brothers. 88 mins. (p/s). 

3:30am THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) Peter Cushing, Hazel Court, Robert Urquhart. Dir. Terence Fisher. Warner Brothers. 82 mins (p/s).

5:00am HOLLYWOOD MY HOMETOWN (1965) Short. 53 mins. (p/s). 

February 27, 2016 

Daytime Theme: Charlie & Buster

6:00am THE GOLD RUSH (1925) Charles Chaplin, Mack Swain, Georgia Hale. Dir. Charles Chaplin. United Artists. 95 mins. (p/s).

7:45am THE GENERAL (1927) Buster Keaton, Marion Mack, Glen Cavender. Dir. Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman. United Artists. 75 mins. (p/s).

9:00am THE CIRCUS (1928) Charles Chaplin, Al Ernest Garcia, Merna Kennedy. Dir. Charles Chaplin. United Arists. 70 mins. (p/s).

10:15am STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928) Buster Keaton, Ernest Torrence, Marion Byron. Dir. Buster Keaton & Charles Resiner. United Artists. 71 mins. (p/s). 

11:30am LIMELIGHT (1952) Charles Chaplin, Claire Bloom, Buster Keaton. Dir. Charles Chaplin. United Artists. 137 mins. (p/s).

Daytime Theme: An "Affair" to Remember

2:00pm THE MACOMBER AFFAIR (1947) Gregory Peck, Joan Bennett, Robert Preston. Dir. Zoltan Korda. United Artists. 89 mins. (p/s)

3:30pm THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI (1947) George Sanders, Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak. Dir. Albert Lewin. United Artists. 112 mins. (p/s) 

5:30pm THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968) Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway, Paul Burke. Dir. Norman Jewison. United Artists. 102 mins. (p/s)

7:15pm THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF TUPPERWARE (1959) 29 mins. Short. 

7:45pm MATCH YOUR MOOD (1968) 7 mins. Short. 

Primetime Theme: Challenge #2 Screenwriting Team

8:00pm THE APARTMENT (1960) Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray. Dir. Billy Wilder. United Artists. 124 mins. (p/s).

10:15pm TRAPEZE (1956) Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, Gina Lollobrigida. Dir. Carol Reed. United Artists. 105 mins. (p/s).

12:00am BEAT THE DEVIL (1953) Humphrey Bogart, Jennifer Jones, Gina Lollobrigida. Dir. John Huston. United Artists. 89 mins. (p/s).

1:30am WEST SIDE STORY (1961) Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer, Rita Moreno. Dir. Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins. United Artists. 152 mins (p/s).

4:15am THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA (1954) Humphrey Bogart, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien. Dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz. United Artists. 130 mins. (p/s).

February 28, 2017

Daytime Theme: Musical Westerns

6:00am RHYTHM ON THE RANGE (1936) Bing Crosby, Frances Farmer, Bob Burns. Dir. Norman Taurog. Paramount. 87 mins. (p/s)

7:30am PAINT YOUR WAGON (1969) Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Jean Seberg. Dir. Joshua Logan. Paramount. 154 mins. (p/s)

10:15am RED GARTERS (1954) Rosemary Clooney, Jack Carson, Guy Mitchell. Dir. George Marshall. Paramount. 91 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE).

12:00pm BUCK BENNY RIDES AGAIN (1940) Jack Benny, Ellen Drew, Eddie Anderson. Dir. Mark Sandrich. Paramount. 84 mins. (p/s)

Daytime Theme: Starring Miriam Hopkins

1:30pm THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE (1933) Miriam Hopkins, Jack La Rue, William Gargan. Dir. Stephen Roberts. Paramount. 70 mins. (p/s)

2:45 pm DESIGN FOR LIVING (1933) Fredric March, Gary Cooper, Miriam Hopkins. Dir. Ernst Lubitsch. Paramount. 91 mins. (p/s)

4:30pm TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932) Miriam Hopkins, Kay Francis, Herbert Marshall. Dir. Ernst Lubitsch. Paramount. 83 mins. (p/s)

6:00pm DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1931) Fredric March, Miriam Hopkins, Rose Hobart. Dir. Rouben Mamoulian. Paramount. 98 mins. (p/s)

7:45pm HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE NO. B1 (1934) 10 mins. Short.

PRIMETIME: 50th Anniversary of the American Film Institute

8:00pm SUNSET BLVD (1950) William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Erich von Stroheim. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 109 mins. (p/s)

10:00pm REAR WINDOW (1954) James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Paramount. 112 mins. (p/s) 

12:00am DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944) Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 103 mins. (p/s).

1:45am A PLACE IN THE SUN (1951) Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor, Shelley Winters. Dir. George Stevens. Paramount. 118 mins. (p/s).

3:45am SHANE (1953) Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin. Dir. George Stevens. Paramount. 118 mins. (p/s)

5:45am THE GOLDEN YEARS (1960) 15 mins. Short. 

March 1, 2017

Daytime Theme: The Wonderful World of Disney

6:00am THE PARENT TRAP (1961) Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith. Dir. David Swift. Disney. 129 mins. (p/s)

8:15am POLLYANNA (1960) Hayley Mills, Jane Wyman, Richard Egan. Dir. David Swift. Disney. 133 mins (p/s). 

10:30am OLD YELLER (1957) Dorothy McGuire, Fess Parker, Tommy Kirk. Dir. Robert Stevenson. Disney. 83 mins. (p/s). 

12:00pm SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON (1960) John Mills, Dorothy McGuire, James MacArthur. Dir. Ken Annakin. Disney. 126 mins. (p/s).

2:15pm THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR (1961) Fred MacMurray, Nancy Olson, Keenan Wynn. Dir. Robert Stevenson. Disney. 97 mins. (p/s).

4:00pm THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG (1975) Don Knotts, Tim Conway, Bill Bixby. Dir. Norman Tokar. Disney. 100 mins. (p/s). 

5:45pm 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1954) Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas. Dir. Richard Fleischer. Disney. 128 mins. (p/s). 

Primetime Theme: Treasures From the Disney Vault

8:00pm VICTORY THROUGH POWER (1943) Alexander de Seversky. Dir. Perce Pearce. Disney. 70 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE)

9:15pm DER FUEHRER'S FACE (1943) Donald Duck. Short. Disney. 8 mins. 

9:30pm DONALD GETS DRAFTED (1942) Donald Duck. Short. Disney. 9 mins. 

9:45pm SKY TROOPER (1942) Donald Duck. Short. Disney. 7 mins. 

10:00pm THE NEW SPIRIT (1942) Donald Duck. Short. Disney. 7 mins. 

10:15pm THE SPIRIT OF '43 (1943) Donald Duck. Short. Disney. 6 mins. 

10:30pm SALUDOS AMIGOS (1942) Goofy, Donald Duck, Jose Carioca. 42 mins. (p/s).

11:15pm THE THREE CABALLEROS (1944) Donald Duck, Jose Carioca, Panchito Pistoles. 72 mins. (p/s)

12:30am MAKE MINE MUSIC (1946) Disney. 75 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE) 

1:45am FUN AND FANCY FREE (1947) Disney. 73 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE)

3:00am MELODY TIME (1948) Disney. 75 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE) 

4:15am  MIRACLE OF THE WHITE STALLIONS (1963) Robert Taylor, Lilli Palmer, Eddie Albert. Dir. Arthur Hiller. Disney. 93 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE) 

March 2, 2017

Daytime Theme: Happy 100th Birthday Desi Arnaz! 

6:00am TOO MANY GIRLS (1940) Lucille Ball, Richard Carlson, Desi Arnaz. Dir. George Abbot. RKO. 85 mins (p/s).

7:30am FATHER TAKES A WIFE (1941) Adolphe Menjou, Gloria Swanson, Desi Arnaz. Dir. Jack Hively. RKO. 79 mins (p/s). 

9:00am THE NAVY COMES THROUGH (1942) Pat O'Brien, George Murphy, Desi Arnaz. Dir. A. Edward Sutherland. RKO. 80 mins. (p/s).

10:30am FOUR JACKS AND A JILL (1942) Ray Bolger, Anne Shirley, Desi Arnaz. Dir. Jack Hively. RKO. 67 mins (p/s).

Daytime Theme: CHALLENGE #1 CANDIDATE 

11:45am CITIZEN KANE (1941) Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Agnes Moorehead. Dir. Orson Welles. RKO. 119 mins (p/s). 

1:45pm KING KONG (1933) Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot. Dir. Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack. RKO. 96 mins (p/s). 

3:30pm BRINGING UP BABY (1938) Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Charles Ruggles. Dir. Howard Hawkes. RKO. 102 mins (p/s)

5:15pm THE EX-MRS. BRADFORD (1936) William Powell, Jean Arthur, James Gleason. Dir. Stephen Roberts. RKO. 80 mins. (p/s). 

6:45pm THE AFFAIRS OF ANNABEL (1938) Jack Oakie, Lucille Ball, Ruth Donnelly. Dir. Benjamin Stoloff. RKO. 68 mins (p/s). 

Primetime: RKO Noir

8:00pm THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1946) Dorothy McGuire, George Brent, Ethel Barrymore. Dir. Richard Siodmak. RKO. 83 mins. (p/s).

9:30pm NOTORIOUS (1946) Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. RKO. 101 mins. (p/s). 

11:15pm OUT OF THE PAST (1947) Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas. Dir. Jacques Tourneur. RKO. 95 mins. (p/s) 

1:00am THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (1944) Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, Raymond Massey. Dir. Fritz Lang. RKO. 99 mins. (p/s).

2:45am ANGEL FACE (1953) Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons, Mona Freeman. Dir. Otto Preminger. RKO. 91 mins. (p/s)

4:30am ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1952) Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan, Ward Bond. Dir. Nicholas Ray. RKO. 81 mins. (p/s).  

March 3, 2017 

Daytime Theme: Featuring Debbie Reynolds... 

6:00am SAY ONE FOR ME (1959) Bing Crosby, Debbie Reynolds, Robert Wagner. Dir. Frank Tashlin. Fox. 120 mins (p/s). 

8:00am THE SECOND TIME AROUND (1961) Debbie Reynolds, Steve Forrest, Andy Griffith. Dir. Vincent Sherman. Fox. 99 mins. (p/s).

9:45am GOODBYE CHARLIE (1964) Debbie Reynolds, Tony Curtis, Pat Boone. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. Fox. 116 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE).

Daytime Theme: Give My Regards To... Vaudeville

11:45am WHEN MY BABY SMILES AT ME (1948) Betty Grable, Dan Dailey, Jack Oakie. Dir. Walter Lang. Fox. 98 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE). 

1:30pm THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS (1954) Ethel Merman, Donald O'Connor, Marilyn Monroe. Dir. Walter Lang. Fox. 117 mins. (p/s). 

3:30pm POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL (1936) Shirley Temple, Alice Faye, Gloria Stuart. Dir. Irving Cummings. Fox. 79 mins. (p/s).

5:00pm STAR! (1968) Julie Andrews, Richard Crenna, Michael Craig. Dir. Robert Wise. Fox. 175 mins. (p/s) 

Primetime: SOTM Ann-Margret 

8:00pm THE PLEASURE SEEKERS (1964) Ann-Margret, Anthony Franciosa, Carl Lynley. Dir. Jean Negulesco. Fox. 107 mins (p/s).

10:00pm STAGECOACH (1966) Ann-Margret, Red Buttons, Michael Connors. Dir. Gordon Douglas. Fox. 114 mins (PREMIERE #2). 

12:00am MAGIC (1978) Anthony Hopkins, Ann-Margret, Burgess Meredith. Dir. Richard Attenbourough. Fox. 107 mins. (PREMIERE #3). 

2:00am MIDDLE AGE CRAZY (1980) Bruce Dern, Ann-Margret, Graham Jarvis. Dir. John Trent. Fox. 95 mins. (PREMIERE #4). 

3:45am I OUGHT TO BE IN PICTURES (1982) Walter Matthau, Ann-Margret, Dinah Manoff. Dir. Herbert Ross. Fox. 108 mins. (PREMIERE #5). 

5:45am SO YOUR WIFE WANTS TO WORK (1956) 9 mins. Short. 

March 4, 2017

Daytime Theme: "Baby I Don't Care"

6:00am I CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE, BABY (1940) Broderick Crawford, Jessie Ralph, Johnny Downs. Dir. Albert S. Rogell. Universal. 61 mins. (p/s)

7:15am YES SIR, THAT'S MY BABY (1949) Donald O'Connor, Gloria DeHaven, Charles Coburn. Dir. George Sherman. Universal. 82 mins. (p/s)

8:45am WALKING MY BABY BACK HOME (1953) Donald O'Connor, Janet Leigh, Buddy Hackett. Dir. Lloyd Bacon. Universal. 95 mins. (EXEMPT PREMIERE). 

10:30am ROCK, PRETTY BABY (1956) Sal Mineo, John Saxon, Luana Patten. Dir. Richard Bartlett. Universal. 89 mins. (p/s)

Daytime Theme: Starring Deanna Durbin

12:00pm THREE SMART GIRLS (1936) Deanna Durbin, Binnie Barnes, Ray Milland. Dir. Henry Koster. Universal. 84 mins. (p/s)

1:30pm ONE HUNDRED MEN AND A GIRL (1937) Deanna Durbin, Adolphe Menjou, Alice Brady. Dir. Henry Koster. Universal. 83 mins. (p/s).

3:00pm LADY ON A TRAIN (1945) Deanna Durbin, Ralph Bellamy, David Bruce. Dir. Charles David. Universal. 94 mins. (p/s).

4:45pm CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY (1944) Deanna Durbin, Gene Kelly, Richard Whorf. Dir. Robert Siodmark. Universal. 92 mins. (PREMIERE #6). 

6:30pm IT STARTED WITH EVE (1941) Deanna Durbin, Charles Laughton, Robert Cummings. Dir. Henry Koster. Universal. 90 mins. (p/s).

PRIMETIME: The ESSENTIALS: Mary Tyler Moore

8:00pm THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (1967) Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Channing. Dir. George Roy Hill. Universal. 138 mins. (p/s).

10:30pm WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? (1968) George Peppard, Mary Tyler Moore, Dom DeLuise. Dir. George Seaton. Universal. 94 mins (EXEMPT PREMIERE). 

12:15am CHANGE OF HABIT (1969) Elvis Presley, Mary Tyler Moore, Barbara McNair. Dir. William A. Graham. Universal. 93 mins. (p/s). 

UNDERGROUND- Starring John Agar

2:00am TARANTULA (1955) John Agar, Mara Corday, Leo G. Carroll. Dir. Jack Arnold. Universal. 81 mins. (p/s)

3:30am THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956) John Agar, Hugh Beaumont, Cynthia Patrick. Dir. Virgil W. Vogel. Universal. 77 mins. (p/s)

5:00am HOLLYWOOD WITHOUT MAKEUP (1966) Ken Murray. 50 mins. (p/s)

Premiere #34- "Special Challenges" 

Week of February 26, 2017 - March 4, 2017

SOTM: Ann-Margret

The Essential: Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)

Spotlight: 50th Anniversary of the American Film Institute

Silent Sunday: Lilac Time (1928) 

TCM Imports: The Master of Ballantrae (1953); The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

TCM Underground: Tarantula (1955) ; The Mole People (1956)

Programming Challenge #1- Candidate

President Orson Welles (Citizen Kane), Vice President William Powell (The Ex-Mrs. Bradford), Secretary of Homeland Security King Kong (King Kong), Secretary of Interior Cary Grant (Bringing Up Baby), and White House Press Secretary Jack Oakie (The Affairs of Annabel).

Programming Challenge #2- Art of Collaboration

Billy Wilder (The Apartment), Ben Hecht (Trapeze), John Huston (Beat the Devil), Ernest Lehman (West Side Story), Joseph Mankiewicz (The Barefoot Contessa). 

Programming Challenge #3- LP's Picks

Damn Yankees (1957), Red Garters (1954), Goodbye Charlie (1964), When My Baby Smiles at Me (1948), Walking My Baby Back Home (1953), What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968) 

Programming Challenge #4- Treasures of the Disney Vault

Programming Challenge #5- Theme Week-- Studios! 

TCM Premieres: 

The Pajama Game (1957)

Stagecoach (1966)

Magic (1978)

Middle Age Crazy (1980)

I Ought to Be in Pictures (1982)

Christmas Holiday (1944)

By Decade: 

1920s-5

1930s-18

1940s-35

1950s-26

1960s-21

1970s-2

1980s-2

Sunday, we're starting with a birthday salute to the irascible William "Fred Mertz" Frawley, who before he reached television stardom on I Love Lucy had actually built a decent career as a character actor.  He appeared with some of Hollywood's top stars like Errol Flynn, Bette Davis and James Cagney.  In the afternoon,  we're saluting Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson and Cagney--three actors who built their careers on playing someone from the underworld of society--the gangster.  In the evening, we have two premieres-- Damn Yankees and The Pajama Gametwo wonderful musicals directed by George Abbot and Stanley Donen! Next, we're viewing the Sunday Silent Night feature, Lilac Time.  Then we're showcasing two British films: The Master of Ballantrae and The Curse of Frankenstein. 

On Monday we're showcasing silent screen giants Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton in some of their best known films.  This feature culminates with Limelight, the only film where Chaplin and Keaton appeared together.  In the late afternoon, it's an "affair to remember" with a triple feature of affairs.  In the evening, we're showcasing a septet of films who all feature a prolific screenwriter.  Imagine the film the five of them could create if egos don't clash! 

On Tuesday, we're showcasing musical westerns including the often panned Paint Your Wagon.  Who doesn't love The Simpsons rendition of "Paint Your Wagon" ?  "...gonna paint our wagon, gonna paint it good. We a'int braggin,' We're gonna coat that wood!"... This series includes the premiere of Red Garters.  In the afternoon, we're saluting that queen of the pre-code, Miriam Hopkins.  In the evening, we're featuring our weekly spotlight: The 50th Anniversary of the American Film Institute.  This evening we're showing five of Paramount Pictures' films that ranked on AFI's list of the Top 100 films.  

On Wednesday, we're doing an all-day salute to Disney Studios.  The daytime part of our schedule features some of Disney's most well known and beloved live action films.  In the evening, we're looking at Disney during WWII.  In the first half of our series, we're looking at propaganda cartoons that Disney produced during WWII.  We're starting the series off with a documentary film that Walt Disney produced called Victory Through Air Power.  It was made after he read a book by the same name and was inspired by its message and decided to make a film about it.  After this documentary, we are airing a series of cartoons starring Donald Duck.  These cartoons depict Donald as a soldier and assisting with the wartime effort on the homefront.  If you only watch one of these cartoons, watch Der Fuerher's Face, it depicts Donald Duck having a bad dream where he becomes a Nazi.  Seeing Donald Duck give the Hitler salute is a very disconcerting image.  Later, we air a series of package films that Disney produced during the war due to many of their animators being on the front lines and Disney studios not having enough employees to work on a feature length film.  Instead, they took cartoons that they had produced and made five packaged films featuring a series of cartoons.  Finally, we're ending the evening with Miracle of the White Stallionsa 1963 film that depicts a family's efforts to get their beloved stock of stallions out of Vienna before the Soviets reach their land.  The family is worried that the starving Soviets will want to eat their horses.  

On Thursday, we're celebrating Desi Arnaz' 100th birthday.  In addition to starring as Ricky Ricardo on I Love Lucy, he was also a television visionary.  Not only did he help pioneer the 3 camera process to film his television show, he also invented the re-run.  In the afternoon, it's a series of films featuring my ideal candidates for political office: Orson Welles, King Kong, Cary Grant, William Powell and Jack Oakie.  In the evening, we are showcasing RKO's film noir output, which includes the classic noir, Out of the Past.  

On Friday, we're saluting Debbie Reynolds and the films she made at Fox.  This includes the premiere of Goodbye Charlie.  In the afternoon, we're looking at films featuring vaudevillians and ex-vaudevillians and later we're featuring our Star of the Month. This evening features four, count 'em four, TCM premieres--all featuring the beautiful Swedish-American bombshell, Ann-Margret or Ann-Margrock as I prefer to call her.  

On Saturday, we're saluting "Baby" movies that don't necessarily feature tiny people.  Among this series of films, there is a Donald O'Connor double feature! In the afternoon, we're featuring Universal's biggest star-- Deanna Durbin.  This evening, it's our essential, Thoroughly Modern Millie featuring Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore.  MTM will be featured in two more films after this one, including the premiere of What's So Bad About Feeling Good?.  In our Underground feature, it'll be the king of the B Sci-Fi flick, the ex-Mr. Shirley Temple himself, John Agar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users