We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Man Who Would Be King

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:09 AM

I have insomnia and I am watching it now. Since it is not putting me back to sleep, it must be good!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,354 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

My pick for the greatest adventure movie of all time would be John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King. It looks magnificent, has a great cast (with Michael Caine giving one of his finest performances, and Sean Connery and Christopher Plummer also superb), and it combines adventure with an intelligent and moving story. It was material that was simply perfect for Huston, and apparently he'd wanted to do the movie for 30 years before he finally got the chance to do so.

Anyone else like this movie?

gonna air Sat. 6-6 as an ESSENTIAL  :)

8:00 pm ET
B/W
129 min
TV-MA
adventure

Two con artists set out to take over a remote Asian land with a priceless golden treasure.

DirJohn Huston CastSean Connery , Michael Caine , Christopher Plummer .

8899.jpg

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3 Notan

Notan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

The opening credits list Shakira Caine. I looked her up - she's Michael's wife. Never noticed that before.

I can't remember when, but I was curious about her, too, several years ago, and was surprised to find that she and Michael Caine were married. And what a long marriage it has been, and still is!

The pairing reminds me of Robert and Luciana Duvall, although the Caines have been together much longer.

#4 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

The opening credits list Shakira Caine. I looked her up - she's Michael's wife. Never noticed that before.

FdX2C0H.gif

#5 JackFavell

JackFavell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

BUMP
Kathy, I'm so glad your hubby made you watch it!

The movie is just super, with outstanding performances by Connery and Caine....I don't know why it is one of my favorites, except that it tells a story of adventure, hubris and friendship as simply and elegantly as I've ever seen. The tendrils of the mysterious plot are caught up and explained in a most fascinating fashion. It just gets me, every time.

It was among the first two or three movie I ever got on tape, when VHS came out.

If I hear the tune of *The Minstrel Boy*, the first thing I think of is Daniel and Peachy......

The Son of God goes forth to war,
A kingly crown to gain;
His blood red banner streams afar:
Who follows in His train?
Who best can drink his cup of woe,
Triumphant over pain,
Who patient bears his cross below,
He follows in His train.

That martyr first, whose eagle eye
Could pierce beyond the grave;
Who saw his Master in the sky,
And called on Him to save.
Like Him, with pardon on His tongue,
In midst of mortal pain,
He prayed for them that did the wrong:
Who follows in His train?

A glorious band, the chosen few
On whom the Spirit came;
Twelve valiant saints, their hope they knew,
And mocked the cross and flame.
They met the tyrant?s brandished steel,
The lion?s gory mane;
They bowed their heads the death to feel:
Who follows in their train?

A noble army, men and boys,
The matron and the maid,
Around the Savior?s throne rejoice,
In robes of light arrayed.
They climbed the steep ascent of Heav?n,
Through peril, toil and pain;
O God, to us may grace be given,
To follow in their train.

#6 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

I did not think I would enjoy this movie when my husband told me he wanted to watch it (he has an old vhs tape he made from a long time ago)... I was surprised when I found myself getting caught up in the story. Very much enjoyed it after all...Hate it when I have to admit my husband was right!!! :-)

#7 GildaHayworth

GildaHayworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:36 AM

Yes, it does! Caine & Connery are cute! <3

#8 SueSueApplegate

SueSueApplegate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas, home of Superbowl LI!

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:58 AM

I like The Man Who Would Be King, too. Interesting angle about
the Huston references to masons....

Sounds like a research topic at UCLA Film School.

BLOG: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.co...dex.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
THE SILVER SCREEN OASIS: http://silverscreeno...=4260&start=975
Writing about the Turner Classic Film Festival since June of 2010,

more then 1 million views on combined media outlets
Facebook: Sue Sue's TCM Film Festival Friends

Filmstruck: https://www.filmstruck.com/

Streamline, the Online Filmstruck Blog: http://streamline.fi...id=mainnav6blog

TCM Backlots: https://www.tcmbacklot.com/

#TCMFF Social Producer, Content Creator, Credentialed Media

Author: THELMA RITTER: HOLLYWOOD'S FAVORITE NEW YORKER, University of Mississippi Press, 2018

#9 Arkadin

Arkadin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

A great film that deserves more mention (so I am mentioning it!).

#10 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

The Grail Legends play a role in Freemasonry. Please see " Morals & Dogma " by Albert Pike, " Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry ", ' A New Encyclopedia of Freemasonry " by Arthur Edward Waite, and numerous other references icluding " The Secret Teachings of All Ages " by Manly Pamler Hall. " The Man Who Would be King ", also deals with a " Lost King " .

#11 MikeBSG

MikeBSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

I always thought that the Knights in "The Natural" were an Arthurian reference, with Roy Hobbs' bat as something like Excalibur.

#12 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:31 AM

Freemasonry plays a big role in " The Man Who Would Be King " from a story by Kipling, a Mason. In " Across the Pacific " another John Huston film " the craft " is also mentioned. " The Maltese Falcon's " opening credits erroneously lists the
" The Knights of Malta " , as the " Knights Templar of Malta ", the modern day Freemasons claim descent from " The Templar's ". I wonder if any other Director has some many Masonic and pseudo - Masonic references in his films.

In " The Natural " Hobbs ( Redford ) plays for the " New York Knights ", another Masonic reference ?

#13 MikeBSG

MikeBSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

It is a very good movie. Caine and Connery are terrific, and the cutting of the bridge scene has always stayed with me.

The film doesn't seem to fit into the cinema of the late Seventies, which is when it came out, but it still managed to make a mark, which shows how good it is.

#14 dfordoom

dfordoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:03 AM

My pick for the greatest adventure movie of all time would be John Huston's The Man Who Would Be King. It looks magnificent, has a great cast (with Michael Caine giving one of his finest performances, and Sean Connery and Christopher Plummer also superb), and it combines adventure with an intelligent and moving story. It was material that was simply perfect for Huston, and apparently he'd wanted to do the movie for 30 years before he finally got the chance to do so.

Anyone else like this movie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users