We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

GRAND CENTRAL MURDER (1942)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

Big fan of Van Heflin but I hadn't heard of this film or the one he did similar to it Kid Glove Killer.

I wish TCM would show these type of lesser known crime \ light comedy films.

They did have Grand Central Murder on a few years back

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

I enjoyed this murder mystery.  It reminded me of the Thin Man series, only this time, Van Heflin and Virginia Grey embody the husband and wife wisecracking sleuths trying to solve the murder of a greedy and shallow theater actress who likes to steal tips from lunch counters, and has a special skill for wrapping men, rich ones, around her finger.

Patricia Dane plays the murdered actress, Mida King (her name references King Midas; everything he touches, or in this case, she, turns to gold) with plenty of sex-appeal.  Her story is told in flash-backs.  The men Mida ensnares know she's reprehensible, but her shrewdness at being both prim and vulgar keep them coming back.  Perhaps they think at some point, finally, their gifts of minks and jewels will convince Mida to go to bed with them.  Mida, however, as the sub-text hints, has no problem sleeping with a railway conductor or truck driver she finds attractive.

Connie Gilchrist steals every scene she's in as Mida's put-upon assistant, Pearl; and Pearl makes no attempt to hide her working-class background by the way she pronounces theater: thee-ate-er.  Grand Central Murder has a stagey but stylish production, and the movie works quite well as a clever whodunit.

Big fan of Van Heflin but I hadn't heard of this film or the one he did similar to it Kid Glove Killer.

I wish TCM would show these type of lesser known crime \ light comedy films.

#3 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

I enjoyed this murder mystery.  It reminded me of the Thin Man series, only this time, Van Heflin and Virginia Grey embody the husband and wife wisecracking sleuths trying to solve the murder of a greedy and shallow theater actress who likes to steal tips from lunch counters, and has a special skill for wrapping men, rich ones, around her finger.

Patricia Dane plays the murdered actress, Mida King (her name references King Midas; everything he touches, or in this case, she, turns to gold) with plenty of sex-appeal.  Her story is told in flash-backs.  The men Mida ensnares know she's reprehensible, but her shrewdness at being both prim and vulgar keep them coming back.  Perhaps they think at some point, finally, their gifts of minks and jewels will convince Mida to go to bed with them.  Mida, however, as the sub-text hints, has no problem sleeping with a railway conductor or truck driver she finds attractive.

Connie Gilchrist steals every scene she's in as Mida's put-upon assistant, Pearl; and Pearl makes no attempt to hide her working-class background by the way she pronounces theater: thee-ate-er.  Grand Central Murder has a stagey but stylish production, and the movie works quite well as a clever whodunit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users