We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Trump & International politics

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#21 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,125 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

His presidency is "running like a fine-tuned machine"?

MACHINE is probably the TRUEST part of that statement. Is he claiming to be the 21st century BOSS TWEED? He too, was a large New York City landowner.

And my 11 year old CAR seems to be running better.

Sepiatone

Al Capone certainly ran Chicago better and he didn't go to any private schools.
  • TheCid likes this

#22 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

His presidency is "running like a fine-tuned machine"?

MACHINE is probably the TRUEST part of that statement.  Is he claiming to be the 21st century BOSS TWEED?  He too, was a large New York City landowner.

And my 11 year old CAR seems to be running better.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#23 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

In his press conference yesterday Trump said that it would be a good move politically (for him) if he blew that Russian ship right out of the water.  Hmm ....  Makes you wonder when something does happen what is the motivation behind it all.

• Sepiatone likes this

#24 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Israel is not interested in a one state, two state, or three

state solution. It is interested in a apartheid state solution. 

• TheCid, Sepiatone and Princess of Tap like this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#25 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

I think the Trumpster is quickly becoming an exhausted tired old man.  "One State .. Two State .. Three State (shrug) What's the difference?"

The NY Times article mentions the issue of borders.

https://www.nytimes....ution.html?_r=0

The main problem regarding the 2 state solution is it will cut Israel in two. No way they would accept a corridor dividing the country.

Clip.jpg

So is there an alternative...a 3 state solution? :unsure:

#26 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

I've been having some fun with Trumpsters in a way.

When my Trump loving brother in law came over yesterday, I greeted him at the door with a heatry, "Welcome, COMRADE!"

He looked puzzled and asked me what THAT was bout.  I replied, "Well, with the way things seem to be going lately, I figured I should get in the habit of greeting people like that."  :D

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#27 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

I thought I heard that Trump said he would support whatever Israel wanted to do, including a one-state solution.

I think the Trumpster is quickly becoming an exhausted tired old man.  "One State .. Two State .. Three State (shrug) What's the difference?"

#28 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

So Trump told Netanyahu that Israel should "hold back on the settlements". I seem to recall the Trump supporters around here cheering the settlements on when we discussed them a few weeks back. Now that Trump disagrees with them, will they change their minds to match Trump's position?

I thought I heard that Trump said he would support whatever Israel wanted to do, including a one-state solution.

#29 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

You are giving him too much credit.  It hasn't even been one month.

Well he started changing his tune as soon as he was President Elect (which is where I got the 'few months'.  But I was giving him too much credit since I said 'an entire administration';   I should have made it clear I was talking about a TWO term administration;  (Trump supporters likely assumed I was talking about the administration of William Henry Harrison!).

#30 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

#31 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hey, all President do this (e.g. Obama and the Red-line),  but Trump has done an entire administrations worth of these in a few months!     

You are giving him too much credit.  It hasn't even been one month.

#32 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

So Trump told Netanyahu that Israel should "hold back on the settlements". I seem to recall the Trump supporters around here cheering the settlements on when we discussed them a few weeks back. Now that Trump disagrees with them, will they change their minds to match Trump's position?

Don't hold your breath because you'll die from affixation!  

Yea, just another example of where Trump's opens his mouth and says something really lame (multiple times in the case of Israel, like moving the US embassy) but once he finally listens to people with some degree of intelligence changes course. 

Hey, all President do this (e.g. Obama and the Red-line),  but Trump has done an entire administrations worth of these in a few months!       I can understand that even the advise I gave when he won (ignore the words, focus on the actual policies),  wears thin after sooooo  many flops. 

#33 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,271 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:52 PM

#34 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

US new crusise missles

http://www.scout.com...-cruise-missile

http://www.indiandef...on-nuclear.html

Long_Range_Stand-Off_%2528LRSO%2529_Crui

And China (they share a border with Russia!) whom I'm more concerned about.

http://www.ndtv.com/...issiles-1445923

http://www.popsci.co...missiles-zhuhai

#35 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

"Tuesday that the Russian Federation deployed a new cruise missile in secret, which flies in the face of the 1987 Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, signed at the end of the Cold War by both Russia and the U.S. The treaty bans either country from testing land-based, intermediate-ranged missiles....

Russia’s secret deployment of the missile system is a national security crisis for NATO nations, prompting General James Mattis — Trump’s Secretary of Defense — to take an emergency trip to Belgium to discuss the missile with NATO officials:...

http://usuncut.com/w...iolates-treaty/

& https://www.nytimes....rol-treaty.html

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#36 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Lock Him Up!

If Hillary had done something like this, the outcry from Republicans, Jake, the Nipper, et. al. would have been deafening.

How many wait staff and others are now on Russian, Chines, Iranian, North Korean or other payrolls?

Not to mention listening/viewing in on the cell phones of staffers.

January 16, 2017

The CIA's war on Trump, continued
print_email_share.gif
By Cliff Kincaid

Echoing New York Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer's warning that the intelligence community is out to "get" President-elect Trump, a Brookings Institution expert who served in the Clinton administration says that Trump's treatment of his spies will "come back to bite him" in the form of "devastating" leaks to the media that will make him look foolish or incompetent.

#37 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

And Trump wanted Hillary locked up for potentially putting security at risk ...

Trump turns Mar-a-Lago Club terrace into open-air situation room

https://www.washingt...75fc_story.html

It was Saturday night, and Palm Beach’s tony Mar-a-Lago Club was packed. There was a wedding reception in the ballroom. There was a full house for dinner on the terrace.

And at one table on the terrace, there was the president and the leader of a major U.S. ally, hashing out a national security problem in the open air.

As Weitzman and other patrons watched Saturday evening, Trump and Abe remained at the table and discussed their response to a ballistic missile test by North Korea. While waiters came and went — and while one club member snapped photos — the two leaders reviewed documents by the light of an aide’s cellphone.

Lock Him Up!

If Hillary had done something like this, the outcry from Republicans, Jake, the Nipper, et. al. would have been deafening.

How many wait staff and others are now on Russian, Chines, Iranian, North Korean or other payrolls?

Not to mention listening/viewing in on the cell phones of staffers.

• mr6666 likes this

#38 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:15 AM

And Trump wanted Hillary locked up for potentially putting security at risk ...

Trump turns Mar-a-Lago Club terrace into open-air situation room

https://www.washingt...75fc_story.html

It was Saturday night, and Palm Beach’s tony Mar-a-Lago Club was packed. There was a wedding reception in the ballroom. There was a full house for dinner on the terrace.

And at one table on the terrace, there was the president and the leader of a major U.S. ally, hashing out a national security problem in the open air.

As Weitzman and other patrons watched Saturday evening, Trump and Abe remained at the table and discussed their response to a ballistic missile test by North Korea. While waiters came and went — and while one club member snapped photos — the two leaders reviewed documents by the light of an aide’s cellphone.

• TheCid likes this

#39 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,688 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

As Tensions Rise, Steve Bannon and ISIS Get Closer to Their Common Goal: Civilizational War-

" When Trump ran a campaign built on promises to destroy ISIS, how can one explain the fact that supporters of the group in Mosul were reportedly celebrating his Muslim ban?....

..to divide Americans from millions of people in the Muslim world by sending the latter a message of gratuitous insult and contempt — and emboldening the very extremist movements the order was ostensibly directed against.

That kind of polarization may be exactly what some members of the White House want. High-ranking members of the current administration — most notably its chief strategist, Steve Bannon — have publicly espoused apocalyptic theories of history that center on a forthcoming clash between Western countries and the Muslim world, a conflict that many of them seem to perceive as both inevitable and desirable....

A 2014 speech that Bannon delivered to an audience at the Vatican...called for a revival of the tradition of the “church militant,” describing a vague yet apocalyptic threat he claims that Western countries face from both “Islamic jihadist fascism” and their own loss of religious faith....

...it will take a rejection of the logic of revenge and collective blame on both sides to prevent the apocalyptic visions of extremists from becoming reality.

https://theintercept...lizational-war/

:blink:

• TheCid, Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#40 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,125 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Russia Considers Returning Snowden to U.S. as a GIFT to ‘Curry Favor’ With Trump:

http://www.nbcnews.c...fficial-n718921

Well it's after Christmas but what the heck. :P

article-0-1A27115200000578-716_634x357.j

The last time the Russians returned us an American Jerk,
it was Lee Harvey Oswald.

Maybe Snowden should have gone on to China like his original plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users