We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Trump & International politics

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#21 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:50 PM

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#22 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

I believe if the Palestinians did what I proposed the EU would sanction Israel.  e.g. Cutoff all trade with Israel similar to what happened to South Africa (which is the model Israel is following as it relates to apartheid). 

Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't. And if they did, guess who

would come to the aid of Israel? The good old USA. As it's very doubtful

that Hamas is going to recognize Israel in the near future, why not concentrate

on the PA, especially as there are no longer Israeli settlements in Gaza.

• TheCid likes this

#23 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Right now it's pretty much irrelevant what the Palestinians say or do.

The long term goal of Israel is to make a true Palestinian state in

the West Bank untenable. 

I believe if the Palestinians did what I proposed the EU would sanction Israel.  e.g. Cutoff all trade with Israel similar to what happened to South Africa (which is the model Israel is following as it relates to apartheid). 

#24 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

#25 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

Well there is another side to this and that is the fact that there is NOT one Palestinian government \ representative and that one of the sub-groups, Hamas, is unwilling to recognize Israel's right to exist.      

While I'm not pro-Israel,  if the Palestinians would form one government that recognized Israel's right to exist I would quickly move to being anti-Israel.

Right now it's pretty much irrelevant what the Palestinians say or do.

The long term goal of Israel is to make a true Palestinian state in

the West Bank untenable. 

• TheCid and Princess of Tap like this

#26 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

And let US taxpayers fund the cost of their defense program.  Not to mention coming to their aid in the event of an attack from other nations.

Israel would only accept a one-state solution if  Arabs/Palestinians/Muslims were not allowed to vote or participate in government.

Trudy Rubin, Philadelphia Inquirer, had an interesting column on this: "Trump should bush-up on one-state, two-states."

Yes, that's why the one state solution is pretty much a joke.

Our local paper has a Trudy Rubin column every once in

a while, but not very often. I'd say the conservative/liberal

"balance" in columnists is about 80% to 20%.

#27 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

And let US taxpayers fund the cost of their defense program.  Not to mention coming to their aid in the event of an attack from other nations.

Israel would only accept a one-state solution if  Arabs/Palestinians/Muslims were not allowed to vote or participate in government.

Trudy Rubin, Philadelphia Inquirer, had an interesting column on this: "Trump should bush-up on one-state, two-states."

Well there is another side to this and that is the fact that there is NOT one Palestinian government \ representative and that one of the sub-groups, Hamas, is unwilling to recognize Israel's right to exist.      

While I'm not pro-Israel,  if the Palestinians would form one government that recognized Israel's right to exist I would quickly move to being anti-Israel.

#28 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,657 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

Many of the foreign policy types always say that the status quo can't

continue, that something has to change, but the Israelis have no problem

with the status quo. No two state solution and more Palestinian land

being grabbed until any meaningful Palestinian state is pretty much

impossible. Their plan is the old lawyer's one--delay, delay, delay.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#29 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

Several years ago, the Jews in Israel became very concerned because the birth rate was tending to favor the Arabs and Muslims who were citizens of Israel because they lived there.

They want a one state solution where the Jews are in total control of the government and private sectors.  Just as the Republicans in US want a nation controlled by wealthy WASPs. 

Many of the foreign policy types always say that the status quo can't

continue, that something has to change, but the Israelis have no problem

with the status quo. No two state solution and more Palestinian land

being grabbed until any meaningful Palestinian state is pretty much

impossible. Their plan is the old lawyer's one--delay, delay, delay.

#30 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:47 AM

While defence secretary James Mattis visits Iraq to assure them that they are not there to 'seize their oil' as Trump said they should have done and may still do 'the next time' the Swedish government has tweeted Trump that they will be happy to explain their immigration policy and situation to him if he is interested.  It is appalling that Trump has criticized the Swedish government for helping refugees.  Again, Trump is hoping for horrible acts of terrorism to occur to legitimize his anti-immigrant position.  CNN pointed out that there was an act of terrorism in Sweden recently but it was perpetrated by white supremacists.  But it is doubtful that Trump meant that act of terrorism.

Today is also the day that the British Parliament debates whether to rescind the invitation to Trump for the State visit with the Queen.  Close to two million people signed a petition wishing the government to cancel this visit.  It is highly unlikely though that Appeaser May will withdraw the invitation as she is already on shaky ground.

#31 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,657 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

I think the Trumpster is quickly becoming an exhausted tired old man.  "One State .. Two State .. Three State (shrug) What's the difference?"

Hey, give the guy a break.  He is doing good to even know that Israel is a state and where it is.  Probably still does not know where Palistinians are.

#32 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,657 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Israel is not interested in a one state, two state, or three

state solution. It is interested in a apartheid state solution. 

Several years ago, the Jews in Israel became very concerned because the birth rate was tending to favor the Arabs and Muslims who were citizens of Israel because they lived there.

They want a one state solution where the Jews are in total control of the government and private sectors.  Just as the Republicans in US want a nation controlled by wealthy WASPs. 

#33 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,657 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

His presidency is "running like a fine-tuned machine"?

MACHINE is probably the TRUEST part of that statement.  Is he claiming to be the 21st century BOSS TWEED?  He too, was a large New York City landowner.

And my 11 year old CAR seems to be running better.

Sepiatone

Obviously it is not running like any fine tuned machine.  But, Hitler ran a fine tuned machine of government.  So did Stalin.  Putin's is pretty fine tuned as well.

#34 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

MACHINE is probably the TRUEST part of that statement. Is he claiming to be the 21st century BOSS TWEED? He too, was a large New York City landowner.

Sepiatone

Al Capone certainly ran Chicago better and he didn't go to any private schools.
  • TheCid likes this

#35 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

MACHINE is probably the TRUEST part of that statement.  Is he claiming to be the 21st century BOSS TWEED?  He too, was a large New York City landowner.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#36 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

In his press conference yesterday Trump said that it would be a good move politically (for him) if he blew that Russian ship right out of the water.  Hmm ....  Makes you wonder when something does happen what is the motivation behind it all.

• Sepiatone likes this

#37 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Israel is not interested in a one state, two state, or three

state solution. It is interested in a apartheid state solution. 

• TheCid, Sepiatone and Princess of Tap like this

#38 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

I think the Trumpster is quickly becoming an exhausted tired old man.  "One State .. Two State .. Three State (shrug) What's the difference?"

The NY Times article mentions the issue of borders.

https://www.nytimes....ution.html?_r=0

The main problem regarding the 2 state solution is it will cut Israel in two. No way they would accept a corridor dividing the country.

Clip.jpg

So is there an alternative...a 3 state solution? :unsure:

#39 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

I've been having some fun with Trumpsters in a way.

When my Trump loving brother in law came over yesterday, I greeted him at the door with a heatry, "Welcome, COMRADE!"

He looked puzzled and asked me what THAT was bout.  I replied, "Well, with the way things seem to be going lately, I figured I should get in the habit of greeting people like that."  :D

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#40 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

I thought I heard that Trump said he would support whatever Israel wanted to do, including a one-state solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users