We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Robert Benchley Short - Aired 16 Nov 2016

Shorts Robert Benchley

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

Thank you for finding the Robert Benchley 3-DVD set, Robert Benchley Shorts, through TCM Shop.

Since I don't want to wait until after Christmas, I found a new (never opened) set for sale on eBay and ordered that.

Again, thank you so much for your excellent help.

Juanaquena

• Jlewis likes this

#2 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

Looks like it is on back order. Yet if you are willing to wait even after the holidays, this holiday sale of $16.95 is a real steal.

http://shop.tcm.com/...ts/883316200636

This set is more expensive, but has twice the number of discs. This is probably my favorite set of comedies along with Benchley and the Stooges (Sony sets).

http://shop.tcm.com/...on/883316200629

#3 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Forgot to add that I did not find the 3-DVD set of "The Robert Benchley Minatures" through TCM Shop. Maybe it is for sale through TCM Shop and I just didn't enter the search properly.

#4 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

By the way, I see that the Robert Benchley film short, "No News Is Good News" (MGM, 1943) is included in the 3-disc DVD entitled "The Robert Benchley Minatures Collection" (Warner Home Video, 2009.)

This is the link to the library holding information on WorldCat.org, a worldwide database of library holdings, in case anyone wishes to borrow a copy of the DVD through his/her library (InterLibrary Loan if one's local library / library system does not hold it.):

http://www.worldcat....r=brief_results

I also find copies for sale on eBay and Amazon.

My thanks, again, to JLewis for determining the Robert Benchley short about which I was curious.

#5 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thank you, JLewis! It is "No News Is Good News." The map in the JPEG image with Robert B. standing in front IS the part I saw right before "Whistling in Brooklyn."

I JUST KNEW someone on this message board will find it.

• Jlewis likes this

#6 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:28 AM

Ha ha! It is this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036206/

No News Is Good News (1943)... one of his funniest

Attached File  43-No News Is Good News (2).JPG   37.81KB   1 downloads

• Juanaquena likes this

#7 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

Hello, JLewis -

I only saw the last few minutes of the film. Robert Benchley had an outline map of Europe on the wall behind him. However, instead of the names of the European countries on the roll-up  map, there funny and incorrect geographical features printed on the map: Old Man River is the feature I recall off hand. I have no idea how the film short started. I don't recall seeing a Benchley film short with the "European: map.

If you or someone else can determine the title, that would be great. I love Robert Benchley.

#8 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

Too bad it is hard to find old schedules. Do you remember what he was doing in that film? Plot? There aren't THAT many titles to guess from.

#9 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

Would anyone tell me the title of the Robert Benchley short which aired 16 Nov 2016 right before "Whistling in Brooklyn?"

TIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users