We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Romantic Misfires

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

Excellent attitude!

Susan Strasberg paints a very unflattering portrait of him when she worked with him on Broadway in "Time Remembered".

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:09 AM

I will check out some of his films that I haven't seen.    Hey,  I wasn't much of a fan of Jean Harlow or Eleanor Parker until they were SOTM.   

Excellent attitude!

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,392 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:43 PM

Richard Burton will be the Star of the Month on TCM in March 2017.

Very pleased about this..!

I will check out some of his films that I haven't seen.    Hey,  I wasn't much of a fan of Jean Harlow or Eleanor Parker until they were SOTM.   

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

Richard Burton will be the Star of the Month on TCM in March 2017.

Very pleased about this..!

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

Never been a fan of Burton,  but a lot of that has to do with the movie making style of his era (angst dramas that I find rather joyless).  I tend to view him as the British Brando.       

I like the phrase 'British Brando,'-- though I wonder if anyone on the other side of the pond ever called Brando an American Burton? LOL

I am a huge fan of Burton's film performances, especially the stuff from the mid-to-late 70s. When everyone says he could barely stand up on the set due to his out-of-control drinking. It's like he had become the defrocked character he played in THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA but managed to carry on. Maybe acting was a refuge for him, the one place where he would always be confident in his life. Getting scenes across like he does is all the more impressive-- if it is true he was only giving half of himself to the performance, because of the booze. I can't imagine anyone else playing the tormented clergyman any better in ABSOLUTION; or anyone playing a destructive man with telekinetic powers in THE MEDUSA TOUCH the way he does. Then there's his psychiatrist character in the screen adaptation of EQUUS. Brilliant. I just love this actor so much.

• rayban likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

Well, I won't argue with you, we can't agree on everything, can we?

Yes, we'd be the same person if we did. 

• rayban likes this

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,392 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

Oh,  come on I want to see a good clean fight.  :D

I would say I fall somewhere in the middle here;    Power was often flat and one dimensional with his great looks providing most of the charisma and while my favorite performance of his is also in Nightmare Alley,  there are other films were I find him charming and less robotic like Witness for the Prosecution and The Mark of Zorro.     

Never been a fan of Burton,  but a lot of that has to do with the movie making style of his era (angst dramas that I find rather joyless).  I tend to view him as the British Brando.       

• rayban likes this

#8 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

Really? I respectfully disagree. I've tried but I just find most of Ty's performances flat and a lot of his charisma seems manufactured for the screen. The only film I like him in is NIGHTMARE ALLEY. 

I'm a huge Richard Burton fan and he's in my top 10 male performers of all time. I think Burton played this role correctly-- he has to be colder and emotionally restrained, due to the societal conventions. Burton knows that if you repress the emotions, it sends the sexual energy out in another way. And that's represented symbolically by the great flood. I never feel for one minute that Ty Power has the intelligence as an actor to convey that kind of subtext.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

I agree, Richard Burton is more "virile", but he lacks Tyrone Powers' charisma.

Really? I respectfully disagree. I've tried but I just find most of Ty's performances flat and a lot of his charisma seems manufactured for the screen. The only film I like him in is NIGHTMARE ALLEY. 

I'm a huge Richard Burton fan and he's in my top 10 male performers of all time. I think Burton played this role correctly-- he has to be colder and emotionally restrained, due to the societal conventions. Burton knows that if you repress the emotions, it sends the sexual energy out in another way. And that's represented symbolically by the great flood. I never feel for one minute that Ty Power has the intelligence as an actor to convey that kind of subtext.

• rayban likes this

#10 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

I agree his character is presented more spiritually than sexually. I don't think Power and Loy had much physical chemistry. I see Burton as being more virile in the remake.

I agree, Richard Burton is more "virile", but he lacks Tyrone Powers' charisma.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

That a love story between two sets of characters - in both, a man and a woman, who are not suited to each other - can dwell on a spiritual plane rather than a sexual plane - is a major miracle to me.

I agree his character is presented more spiritually than sexually. I don't think Power and Loy had much physical chemistry. I see Burton as being more virile in the remake.

• rayban likes this

#12 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

The difference between the first version, "The Rains Came" and the second version, "The Rains Of Ranchipur" is that, in the first superior version, the natural catastrophe is spread throughout the film and seems to mirror the upheavals in the lives of the four principals.

Also, Tyrone Power and Myrna Loy are far more charismatic than Richard Burton and Lana Turner.

Also, that first version is far more "spiritual" than "sexual".

That a love story between two sets of characters - in both, a man and a woman, who are not suited to each other - can dwell on a spiritual plane rather than a sexual plane - is a major miracle to me.

Also, in the first, Tyrone Power ascends to the throne in typical 20th Century Fox panache of the 30's.

#13 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:47 AM

I didn't know about this remake of The Rains Came. But I think that our image of Tyrone Power is so strong and so beguiling that no one, who tried to recreate his role role could succeed in our eyes.

Richard Burton is a great actor who I would have loved to have seen in the theater. But when it comes to the movies sometimes a more, I don't know if I want to say synthetic, or simply indirect approach works better on celluloid.

BTW-- as a kid I watched Michael Rennie in the TV series version of The Third Man and he was devastating.

Working with Lana Turner could not have been easy - she was obsessed with her physical beauty - as an actress, she did not give much.

Richard Burton was "a stiff" and "a voice", who cultivated the image of "a great actor".

With two liabilities like these stars, how could the film possibly succeed?

It's meant to be the story of a great love that cannot possibly succeed - but, in the hands of these two, it's a "pipsqueak romance".

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#14 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,748 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:34 AM

I didn't know about this remake of The Rains Came. But I think that our image of Tyrone Power is so strong and so beguiling that no one, who tried to recreate his role role could succeed in our eyes.

Richard Burton is a great actor who I would have loved to have seen in the theater. But when it comes to the movies sometimes a more, I don't know if I want to say synthetic, or simply indirect approach works better on celluloid.

BTW-- as a kid I watched Michael Rennie in the TV series version of The Third Man and he was devastating.
  • TopBilled and rayban like this

#15 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

"The Rains Of Ranchipur" is nothing like its' illustrious predecessor, "The Rains Came".

It is one of the great romantic misfires of all time.

Casting Lana Turner and Richard Burton as "lovers from two different worlds" is some sort of joke - maybe on the part of the 20th Century Fox studio head.

However, they are nicely supported by Fred MacMurray and Joan Caulfield, who seem to be coming out of another movie - a lighter movie.

Michael Rennie plays Turner's titled husband, who is so attractive that you have to wonder if the poor woman is blind or what?

Turner and Burton go through the motions - but they never happen to catch fire.

The huge expensive Cinemascope production - and the huge expensive earthquake - tend to dwarf the goings-on in the film.

When Turner walks out on Burton - because she is only a high-maintenance **** and he is destined to be "a great man" - you have only one reaction - YOU DO WANT TO LAUGH!!!!

How do films that are this bad even get to the planning stages?!

However, let's face it, if ever a woman deserved to be left in the dust - it is Lana Turner in "The Rains Of Ranchipur". 

WOMAN AS DESTROYER -

tumblr_mk4h480Wyk1s94ziyo4_500.jpg

the-rains-of-ranchipur-us-half-sheet-mov

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users