We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Popular Music: The Canadian Connection

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:26 AM

The Beau-Marks: also an extremely underrated group (compared to, say, The Diamonds). I heard that they didn't exist as a group for very long, but they did write a handful of songs when they were together. To my knowledge, some of their best-known songs are Clap Your Hands, Billy Billy Went a-Walking, Classmate, The Tender Years, Fulfillment. They wrote all five songs, plus some others.

Beau-Marks biggest hit:

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#22 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:01 AM

Favourite Canadian-born artists:

Bobby Curtola: probably best known for songs like Hitchhiker, Fortune Teller, Aladdin, Don't You Sweetheart Me, Hand in Hand With You. I'm not sure if he wrote any of his own music. Sadly, he passed away last year.

Jack Scott: probably one of the most forgotten singer-songwriters out there. He's probably best known for My True Love, Leroy, The Way I Walk, Goodbye Baby, Oh Little One (all of which he wrote in the late 50s or early 60s). (By the way, the song The Way I Walk was recorded by a heavy-metal group called The Kramps (sp?) in the seventies.) I don't know why he isn't better remembered. He wrote so much good music (which I'm listening to right now, by the way) and he also recorded gospel music and did an entire album dedicated to Hank Williams.

The Beau-Marks: also an extremely underrated group (compared to, say, The Diamonds). I heard that they didn't exist as a group for very long, but they did write a handful of songs when they were together. To my knowledge, some of their best-known songs are Clap Your Hands, Billy Billy Went a-Walking, Classmate, The Tender Years, Fulfillment. They wrote all five songs, plus some others.

-----------------------------

Second place:

Paul Anka

The Diamonds

The Crew-Cuts

Gordon Lightfoot

Bryan Adams (probably the only post-1980 artist whom I can really stomach)

#23 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

Neil is just brilliant.  

I think the chicks in this audience sure do agree with you!

#24 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

I like that song SIGN OF THE GYPSY QUEEN by April Wine.

Ahhh, April Wine.

There's one song in particular - cheesy as it is - that played a profound part in one very beautiful chapter of my life. Summer 1977.

After years of spotty Toronto employment and a hippie-ish disposition, I'd begun work at a company in October '76 at the age of 26. One month later - November - in walked a new employee: a young woman of 20. She was a "farm girl" from North of Toronto.

It was in May of '77 that I asked her out. I'd just turned 27, she 21. Within a few weeks we were "going steady" - spending almost every night of the next summer months driving around, listening to tunes, drinking shakes; parking; necking. For me, it was rejuvenating - those high school type pursuits should have been behind me at that stage of life. But she wasn't long out of school and for her it was something she hadn't had before because of a troubled home life through high school.

And wouldn't you know, this hit song by April Wine played several times every evening on the car radio - the perfect backdrop for our "Happy Days" chapter in the summer of '77.

And yes, she did become my wife.

• Mr. Gorman and LawrenceA like this

#25 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

I like that song SIGN OF THE GYPSY QUEEN by April Wine.  Someone who played in April Wine from 1976-84 died a few days ago at age 67.  Can't recall the fella's name off the top of my head. 

I bought the "Nature of the Beast" album which contains "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" and you can hear the song in the 1981 Canadian comedy 'GAS' when Helen Shaver is talking to Carl Marotte in the van. 

Thorn/EMI video released a VHS tape in the early '80s of APRIL WINE in concert.  I snagged a used copy of the video several years ago.  

Now I gotta go look up the guy's name . . .  It is bassist STEVE LANG who has passed on.

#26 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

I also enjoy these guys and have seen them in concert. One of their best songs.

Was never much of a fan of this Calgary area country rock trio. So typical of the kind of Canadian outfits that proliferated in the early 70's. 

But I'm probably being unkind. Listening to their top half dozen releases after they reduced to a trio is kinda fun. 'Carry Me' was sorta good.

They did have one really big one:

#27 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

The Old Apartment - official video

The first CD I ever bought of Barenaked Ladies was their amazing live compilation 'Rock Spectacle'. The version of 'The Old Apartment' on that, done live, is worth the price of the CD all by itself. It's still my favorite BNL song - a song that I relate to only too well - and the live version on 'Rock Spectacle' kicks *** - it's actually better than the studio version. Everyone I've played it for agrees.

Unfortunately, the Rock Spectacle version can't be found online - so I've been searching for a live version that comes as close as possible. Here's one - not as intense, but not bad.

#28 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

Love how casually Burton Cummings walks onstage with his flute and then sings in that remarkable, distinctive voice.

It's a hard world for little things.

#29 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for bringing Neil into the thread, GayD! He just might be the greatest Canadian songwriter of all time.

Here's Neil at the time of his 'Everybody is Rockin' album in the mid 80's.

Neil is just brilliant.  

I wonder if the car in the video is one of many he writes about in his autobiography.  

#30 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

One of the unsung greats in Jerry Mercer on drums.

#31 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

And here's their fantastic cover of a song by one of Canada's greatest songwriters, Bruce Cockburn.

Yeah, Bruce!!!

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#32 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

And there are these guys, who I consider the Canadian They Might Be Giants.

Thanks, JamesStewartFan. 

BNL is much loved in Canada. Since their very beginning - when they sang the words "this is me in grade 9" - they became instantly endeared to every student or ex-student anywhere in the country.

Here's a track from their album 'Everything to Everyone'.

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#33 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,706 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

delete

#34 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

I also enjoy these guys and have seen them in concert. One of their best songs.

#35 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,706 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

(Or perhaps They Might Be Giants are the American Barenaked Ladies.)

TMBG had released most of their best stuff before Barenaked Ladies first studio album, so your former assessment is closer to the truth.

My favorite Canadian band is Skinny Puppy, followed by Rush. The Guess Who and Brian Adams I also think of when I think of Canadian artists, although I'm not crazy about either.

#36 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

#37 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

And here's their fantastic cover of a song by one of Canada's greatest songwriters, Bruce Cockburn.

#38 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

(Or perhaps They Might Be Giants are the American Barenaked Ladies.)

#39 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

This thread has shown how little I know Canadian musicians.  Except Gordon Lightfoot.  And this fellow (long in the U.S., of course) who (whom?) I listen to almost every day:

Thanks for bringing Neil into the thread, GayD! He just might be the greatest Canadian songwriter of all time.

Here's Neil at the time of his 'Everybody is Rockin' album in the mid 80's.

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

#40 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:31 AM

This thread has shown how little I know Canadian musicians.  Except Gordon Lightfoot.  And this fellow (long in the U.S., of course) who (whom?) I listen to almost every day:

• darkblue likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users