We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Popular Music: The Canadian Connection

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

I wanted to post Kim Stockwood's rendition of 'A Good Man' from her 'BonaVista' album - a nice song praising a step-father for once. But it's been taken down from YouTube.

So, here's another song from that album instead.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#42 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:34 AM

From the Maritimes comes the scintillating Kim Stockwood - asking the musical question, "You Jerk".

#43 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

As much as I had enjoyed Lightfoot in the 60's - 'Black Day in July', 'Softly', Early Morning Rain', a cover of Dylan's 'Tom Thumb's Blues' - I was not at all prepared for the true greatness of this release from 1971.

The best song he had ever written - and would ever write - in my opinion. Blew my mind then, blows my mind still. One of the best songs I've ever heard.

Yes. "If You Could Read My Mind" has to one of the most heart-breaking songs ever about the end of a relationship. He absolutely captures, in a few simple poetic words, all its sadness and bewilderment. A song about grown-ups. And the melody is just as powerful and beautiful as the lyrics. An unforgettable song.

• darkblue likes this

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#44 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

As much as I had enjoyed Lightfoot in the 60's - 'Black Day in July', 'Softly', Early Morning Rain', a cover of Dylan's 'Tom Thumb's Blues' - I was not at all prepared for the true greatness of this release from 1971.

The best song he had ever written - and would ever write - in my opinion. Blew my mind then, blows my mind still. One of the best songs I've ever heard.

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

#45 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

Oh yes. And he's still performing...maybe at a slower pace than before, but he's still around, and still worth listening to. He was a talented and inventive song-writer. Many of his compositions have a slightly jazzy feel to them - the chord changes in the melodies - like the one you posted, "Softly".

In a recent interview, he said he "never expected" his songs to be hits....except this one. Although just about all his tunes are good-to-great, you can see why this one would be so popular.

Lightfoot's done some revival tours in our area--My sister was a big fan in the 70's, and when she saw Lightfoot's anniversary-revival tour poster at the theater, I broke her up by imitating the SCTV sketch:

(Assume that an early Rick Moranis doing the dead-on Gordon voice)

• darkblue and JamesStewartFan95 like this

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#46 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Here's one of the great all-time Canadian ballads.

Make Me do Anything You Want

When this tune first came out (1972), my friends and I speculated, based upon the song title, that it was a love paean to a dominatrix.

How did adolescent girls even know what a "dominatrix" was? Now that's worrying.

(good tune; makes me nostalgic for my early teen years every time I hear it. which isn't often.)

"....What is it?"

#47 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for posting that A Foot in Coldwater classic, JamesStewartFan!

Gorgeously arranged, that!

Amen to that.

#48 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for posting that A Foot in Coldwater classic, JamesStewartFan!

Gorgeously arranged, that!

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#49 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

Here's one of the great all-time Canadian ballads.

• darkblue and misswonderly3 like this

#50 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

Arguably the greatest Canadian singer/songwriter of all time is Gordon Lightfoot. He appeared in the mid 60's and released scores of amazing high quality singles and albums for the next two decades.

Oh yes. And he's still performing...maybe at a slower pace than before, but he's still around, and still worth listening to. He was a talented and inventive song-writer. Many of his compositions have a slightly jazzy feel to them - the chord changes in the melodies - like the one you posted, "Softly".

In a recent interview, he said he "never expected" his songs to be hits....except this one. Although just about all his tunes are good-to-great, you can see why this one would be so popular.

• darkblue and TheGayDivorcee like this

"....What is it?"

#51 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

Arguably the greatest Canadian singer/songwriter of all time is Gordon Lightfoot. He appeared in the mid 60's and released scores of amazing high quality singles and albums for the next two decades.

Here he is in an American television appearance in 1969.

#52 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

A teen idol since age 15, they made this short documentary about Paul Anka when he was 19.

#53 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:08 AM

I thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to songs and videos related specifically to Canadians - be it solo artists, bands, song-writers, producers.

Who better to begin with than possibly the very first truly world-wide music superstar - certainly the first teen idol superstar - to be Canadian.

From 1957 - when he exploded unto American music charts with his first hit 'Diana" - to 1962, Paul Anka sold tens of millions of records and had the girls screaming for him everywhere he went. Quite a story. What a period for a young man to live through.

• misswonderly3 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users