We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

What Are They Saying about Donald Trump?

Quotes Twits etc

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

#321 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,705 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

Koch puppet, Governor Sam Brownback is so hated in Kansas that even his hand-picked conservative Republicans are trying to distance themselves from him.

Last headline I saw in the grocery store before the ice storm was that he's trying to loot KPERS, the State Pension Fund, to make up for the deficits.

To give you an idea of how bad it is for Brownback in his own Republican state of Kansas--

Brownback has a 5% satisfaction rating compared to a 21% satisfaction rating for Obama from an academic in- state poll, the Docking Institute Poll.

How did moderate GOP candidates that took a stance against Brownback and his handling of the budget \ taxes do in the 2016 state elections?   

I read that this was key to stopping the clown from causing more and more harm.

#322 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Princess: Christina Cassidy, AP, had an interesting article in paper I got today. "States can offer GOP a lesson about deep tax cuts." She used Indiana, Oklahoma and Kansas as examples of how they failed. As you know, Kansas was the worst failure of the tax cut programs.
Interestingly, the Republicans in those states are now advocating for tax increases.

Koch puppet, Governor Sam Brownback is so hated in Kansas that even his hand-picked conservative Republicans are trying to distance themselves from him.

Last headline I saw in the grocery store before the ice storm was that he's trying to loot KPERS, the State Pension Fund, to make up for the deficits.

To give you an idea of how bad it is for Brownback in his own Republican state of Kansas--

Brownback has a 5% satisfaction rating compared to a 21% satisfaction rating for Obama from an academic in- state poll, the Docking Institute Poll.
  • TheCid likes this

#323 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

In Kansas we had our first female governor in the 1990s and her name was Joan Finney.

Joan was originally a Republican for many years - - and she was glad to tell anyone who would listen that she became a Democrat because the Republican power Brokers in the state of Kansas were made up of men who kept her locked out.

As a Democrat she was able to be Secretary of State and then to become our first female governor.

After that we had a second female governor - - Kathleen Sebelius, who became the Secretary of Health and Human Services under Obama and was responsible for launching Obamacare.

Princess:  Christina Cassidy, AP, had an interesting article in paper I got today.  "States can offer GOP a lesson about deep tax cuts."  She used Indiana, Oklahoma and Kansas as examples of how they failed.  As you know, Kansas was the worst failure of the tax cut programs.

Interestingly, the Republicans in those states are now advocating for tax increases.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#324 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,220 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

What other reasons for her overwhelming lack of support from the GOP????   Uh,  last time I checked Hillary was a member of the Democratic party.

Really I don't think it was sexism for most members of the GOP,  but instead because she was a Dem,  a Clinton and appeared to want to carry on with the Obama agenda.   

Again,  I assume if someone didn't want a women President they wouldn't want a black President;  I.e. they would want the President to be like ALL other Presidents were before Obama;  A white male of European ancestry.

Also, why did you avoid the point that Clinton would have won if those that voted for Obama in 2008 or 2012 had voted in 2016 for her?   What is your theory on why these people did NOT support Hillary?     

He was talking about Elizabeth Dole. You two got your wires crossed.

#325 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,705 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

"Evidence", Mr. Mason?

I'd think the overwhelming lack of support from the GOP in spite of her federal experience under pres. Reagan and H.W.Bush as Secretary of Labor and Secretary of Transportation and her years of work in the FTC under Nixon would have given her the experience to handle the job of POTUS with even handed levelheadedness.  She had FAR more knowledge of how the whole system worked, and knew how to deal with the various departments than either Bush or McCain.  But THOSE two wound up sparring for the nomination.. So, what other reason COULD there be?

I mean, wasn't it mostly republicans that worked so hard to quash the ERA?  And Dole's support of women's rights too, probably helped freeze her out.  I mean, nobody ever accused PHILLIS SCHLAFLY and MARTHA MITCHELL of being "liberal".  They didn't call Dole that either.  At least, not to her face.

She's a smart woman in politics.  And that scares the "old boy" network to death!

Sepiatone

What other reasons for her overwhelming lack of support from the GOP????   Uh,  last time I checked Hillary was a member of the Democratic party.

Really I don't think it was sexism for most members of the GOP,  but instead because she was a Dem,  a Clinton and appeared to want to carry on with the Obama agenda.   

Again,  I assume if someone didn't want a women President they wouldn't want a black President;  I.e. they would want the President to be like ALL other Presidents were before Obama;  A white male of European ancestry.

Also, why did you avoid the point that Clinton would have won if those that voted for Obama in 2008 or 2012 had voted in 2016 for her?   What is your theory on why these people did NOT support Hillary?     

#326 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

"Evidence", Mr. Mason?

I'd think the overwhelming lack of support from the GOP in spite of her federal experience under pres. Reagan and H.W.Bush as Secretary of Labor and Secretary of Transportation and her years of work in the FTC under Nixon would have given her the experience to handle the job of POTUS with even handed levelheadedness. She had FAR more knowledge of how the whole system worked, and knew how to deal with the various departments than either Bush or McCain. But THOSE two wound up sparring for the nomination.. So, what other reason COULD there be?

I mean, wasn't it mostly republicans that worked so hard to quash the ERA? And Dole's support of women's rights too, probably helped freeze her out. I mean, nobody ever accused PHILLIS SCHLAFLY and MARTHA MITCHELL of being "liberal". They didn't call Dole that either. At least, not to her face.

She's a smart woman in politics. And that scares the "old boy" network to death!

Sepiatone

In Kansas we had our first female governor in the 1990s and her name was Joan Finney.

Joan was originally a Republican for many years - - and she was glad to tell anyone who would listen that she became a Democrat because the Republican power Brokers in the state of Kansas were made up of men who kept her locked out.

As a Democrat she was able to be Secretary of State and then to become our first female governor.

After that we had a second female governor - - Kathleen Sebelius, who became the Secretary of Health and Human Services under Obama and was responsible for launching Obamacare.

#327 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,925 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

"Evidence", Mr. Mason?

I'd think the overwhelming lack of support from the GOP in spite of her federal experience under pres. Reagan and H.W.Bush as Secretary of Labor and Secretary of Transportation and her years of work in the FTC under Nixon would have given her the experience to handle the job of POTUS with even handed levelheadedness.  She had FAR more knowledge of how the whole system worked, and knew how to deal with the various departments than either Bush or McCain.  But THOSE two wound up sparring for the nomination.. So, what other reason COULD there be?

I mean, wasn't it mostly republicans that worked so hard to quash the ERA?  And Dole's support of women's rights too, probably helped freeze her out.  I mean, nobody ever accused PHILLIS SCHLAFLY and MARTHA MITCHELL of being "liberal".  They didn't call Dole that either.  At least, not to her face.

She's a smart woman in politics.  And that scares the "old boy" network to death!

Sepiatone

• TheCid and Princess of Tap like this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#328 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,705 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

I know this is a bit "off thread", but a thought occured to me:

It wan't  the e-Mails, Bengazhi, or being Bill Clinton's wife why many Trump Supporters and even some democrats moved over to his side that defeated HILLARY CLINTON..

If she had won, she'd have made history as the nation's first WOMAN PRESIDENT.  And it was the WOMAN PRESIDENT possibility that  many just couldn't bring themselves to accept.  Mostly republicans.  It would have been an historical  achievement, and THEY didn't make it!  They blew THEIR chance for it when they muscled ELIZABETH DOLE out of the 2000 primaries.  And I would have chosen HER over AL GORE anytime!

Instead, we wound up with Shrub.  :(

Sepiatone

What actual evidence (e.g. polling data), do you have to make the assumption that 'mostly republicans' wouldn't vote for a women as President? 

Of course SOME sexist morons believe that but I would hope it was few.     Instead I see other reasons like Hillary Clinton was just not likeable.      In addition a key reason she lost was that people that voted for Obama in either 2008  or 2012 did NOT vote for Clinton.  Many of these folks didn't vote at all.      I find it hard to believe many people that voted for Obama are not racist but are sexist.        

#329 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

It wan't the e-Mails, Bengazhi, or being Bill Clinton's wife why many Trump Supporters and even some democrats moved over to his side that defeated HILLARY CLINTON..

If she had won, she'd have made history as the nation's first WOMAN PRESIDENT. And it was the WOMAN PRESIDENT possibility that many just couldn't bring themselves to accept. Mostly republicans. It would have been an historical achievement, and THEY didn't make it! They blew THEIR chance for it when they muscled ELIZABETH DOLE out of the 2000 primaries. And I would have chosen HER over AL GORE anytime!

Instead, we wound up with Shrub. :(

Sepiatone

Your comment belongs over with the rest of the discussion on Donald Trump--

In response to you I could say that Trump had so much racism in his campaign that often it's forgotten how much hatred of women he displayed.

Seeing women as sex objects and seeing women simply as not on the same level as men was obvious in his comments about the Hispanic beauty queen and in his comments in the van about his sexual assaults on women.

The Dual opportunity for people who voted for Trump was they had not only the opportunity to display their racism, but also their hatred of women. You gotta say that's truly deplorable.

Sep- - if you think anybody's interested in the subject you can certainly start a thread on misogyny in the Donald Trump campaign and in Donald Trump's own life.

Before I knew anything about him really or had any interest in him, I was well aware of his poor treatment of his wives. But to hear him bragging about sexually assaulting absolutely strange women in public places that even shocked me. He's no role model for anybody.
  • TheCid likes this

#330 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,925 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

It wan't  the e-Mails, Bengazhi, or being Bill Clinton's wife why many Trump Supporters and even some democrats moved over to his side that defeated HILLARY CLINTON..

If she had won, she'd have made history as the nation's first WOMAN PRESIDENT.  And it was the WOMAN PRESIDENT possibility that  many just couldn't bring themselves to accept.  Mostly republicans.  It would have been an historical  achievement, and THEY didn't make it!  They blew THEIR chance for it when they muscled ELIZABETH DOLE out of the 2000 primaries.  And I would have chosen HER over AL GORE anytime!

Instead, we wound up with Shrub.  :(

Sepiatone

• Jlewis and TheCid like this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#331 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thanks to LornaHansonForbes for pointing the way to this web site ...

http://www.areyousorryyet.com

It contains pre election tweets from hopeful Trump supporters juxtaposed with post election tweets from the same but now regretful supporters.

A collection of regretful Trump voters.

Here is one little taste ...

tumblr_ojmnmue2Vb1w1aom0o2_400.png

• mr6666 and Jlewis like this

#332 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,128 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

The Scottish newspaper, Sunday Herald, just brutally made fun of president-elect Donald Trump in their TV listing section of the publication.

Here’s how they describe the event:

“President Trump: The Inauguration (4pm, BBC One/STV)

After a long absence, The Twilight Zone returns.....

Today’s feature-length opener concentrates on the gaudy inauguration of President Trump, and the stirrings of protest and despair surrounding the ceremony, while pundits speculate gravely on what lies ahead. It’s a flawed piece, but a disturbing glimpse of the horrors we could stumble into, if we’re not careful.”

http://usuncut.news/...tion-day-image/

:lol:

• Bogie56 likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#333 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:57 AM

"Donald Trump tore into civil rights legend John Lewis for questioning the legitimacy of the Republican billionaire's White House victory, intensifying a feud with the black congressman days before the national holiday honouring Martin Luther King Jr. and as the first African-American president prepares to leave office." CTV News

Quote#54

#334 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,220 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:59 AM

I thought he was lame.

What a shocker.

#335 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

"Man, when Donald Trump calls you out for being unethical, that's a wake-up call... that's like if Keith Richards told you to moisturize."

-Stephan Colbert

:D

-his opening monologues are really smart.....getting back to the old Colbert

;)

I thought he was lame.

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#336 noah80

noah80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

"Donald Trump tore into civil rights legend John Lewis for questioning the legitimacy of the Republican billionaire's White House victory, intensifying a feud with the black congressman days before the national holiday honouring Martin Luther King Jr. and as the first African-American president prepares to leave office." CTV News

Trump could say the same thing about John Lewis with his Twitter attack: "He started it!"

• NipkowDisc likes this

#337 noah80

noah80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

she started it. :D

sounding very much like Trump: You're the puppet!

#338 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

"...Yet as I watched Donald Trump’s press conference on Wednesday morning, a performance reminiscent of PT Barnum — if Barnum suffered from Attention Deficit Disorder, congenital petulance and anger management issues — I was reminded of a different Dr. Seuss masterwork:

Yertle the Turtle.

Yertle, you see, is the king of the pond “on the faraway island of Sala-ma-Sond.” But not content with the size of his smallish but prosperous domain, he orders nine other turtles to climb on one another’s backs to create a new throne much higher than before so he can have a more expansive view and rule over it all.

“All mine!” Yertle cried. “Oh, the things I now rule!

I’m the king of a cow! And I’m the king of a mule!

I’m the king of a house! And, what’s more, beyond that

I’m the king of a blueberry bush and a cat!

I’m Yertle the Turtle! Oh, marvelous me!....

http://billmoyers.co...ommander-chief/

yertle was a real jerk of a turtle. :)

• mr6666 and NipkowDisc like this

#339 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,128 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

"...Yet as I watched Donald Trump’s press conference on Wednesday morning, a performance reminiscent of PT Barnum — if Barnum suffered from Attention Deficit Disorder, congenital petulance and anger management issues — I was reminded of a different Dr. Seuss masterwork:

Yertle the Turtle.

Yertle, you see, is the king of the pond “on the faraway island of Sala-ma-Sond.” But not content with the size of his smallish but prosperous domain, he orders nine other turtles to climb on one another’s backs to create a new throne much higher than before so he can have a more expansive view and rule over it all.

“All mine!” Yertle cried. “Oh, the things I now rule!

I’m the king of a cow! And I’m the king of a mule!

I’m the king of a house! And, what’s more, beyond that

I’m the king of a blueberry bush and a cat!

I’m Yertle the Turtle! Oh, marvelous me!....

http://billmoyers.co...ommander-chief/

• Jlewis likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#340 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

Nip--

I want to remind you that This Thread is for quotes about Donald Trump.

If you want to respond to another poster's comment that's okay.

Responding to a quote which has been posted is not a viable or germane post.

If you want to discuss the merits-- the pros and cons-- of each and every quote, then I would suggest that you start your own thread to do that.

yes, ma'am. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users