We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Richard Burton as SOTM March 2017

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,919 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I enjoyed Burton's weeklong monthly celebration. Along with (most of) the usual suspects, I actually saw a film or two for the first time.

#2 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

- shocked.....SHOCKED that these 2 weren't included............. :o :(

poster.jpg

the-spy-who-came-in-from-the-cold.24323.

• film lover 293 likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

"In 1968 Burton's elder brother, Ifor, slipped and fell, breaking his neck, after a lengthy drinking session with Burton in Céligny. The injury left him paralysed from the neck down. His younger brother Graham Jenkins opined it may have been guilt over this that caused Burton to start drinking very heavily, particularly after Ifor died in 1972."

https://en.wikipedia...E2.80.931959.29

- sounds like a good reason for the start of the real downward spiral

:unsure:

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

"His fellow actor and close friend Laurence Olivier, well aware that Burton and his career were both spiraling out of control, eventually sent Richard B. a one-line telegram that said, in essence, "Do you want to be remembered as a great actor or household name?" Burton sent a one word reply: "Both."

:)

Of course both.   Burton couldn't have afforded that diamond for Liz based only on playing Shakespeare roles.

• Arturo likes this

#5 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

Robert Osborne on Richard Burton: http://www.tcm.com/t...ard-Burton.html

"His fellow actor and close friend Laurence Olivier, well aware that Burton and his career were both spiraling out of control, eventually sent Richard B. a one-line telegram that said, in essence, "Do you want to be remembered as a great actor or household name?" Burton sent a one word reply: "Both."

:)

• LawrenceA likes this

#6 CrisR

CrisR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

I think Sea Wife replaced it. Barton I guess will add it to his list when he gets around to it.

#7 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

Too bad. I wish they had a question and answer posting area about why certain films get dropped. WHY are they showing all his films in one week??? I HATE when they do that.

• mr6666 likes this

#8 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,185 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

Yes, agreed. Also his last film, 1984,  which I caught part of a few months ago. Long overdue tribute. Glad My Cousin Rachel is included when TCM ran it the last time I was having cable problems and missed the ending!!! (I saw it a long time ago, but dont remember what happened).

They are only showing his films for one week, rather than one day a week all month? Why, I wonder? Hard for me to find time every night for that. :(

I was disappointed that they dropped Last Days of Dolwyn (1949) aka Women of Dolwyn from the schedule. It's Burton's first film, and it never gets shown. I don't know when it got dropped, but whenever the new schedules get posted, I always write down what I'm going to watch/record, and Dolwyn was on there. But now that the schedule has caught up to the present, i went to program the DVR and Dolwyn is nowhere to be seen. :(

• mr6666 likes this

#9 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Great deserving star. I wish TCM had gone with more rarities, such as the Taylor-Button HAMMERSMITH IS OUT. But should be a good week.

Yes, agreed. Also his last film, 1984,  which I caught part of a few months ago. Long overdue tribute. Glad My Cousin Rachel is included when TCM ran it the last time I was having cable problems and missed the ending!!! (I saw it a long time ago, but dont remember what happened).

They are only showing his films for one week, rather than one day a week all month? Why, I wonder? Hard for me to find time every night for that. :(

#10 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

I saw Burton, twice, live on stage, and found him wonderful.  Other than VIRGINIA WOOLF and IGUANA, I'm not such of fan of his film work.  Odd that the month is one week.

#11 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Robert Osborne on Richard Burton: http://www.tcm.com/t...ard-Burton.html

#12 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,804 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:57 PM

I met Richard Burton's daughter Kate recently. Love person -- great actress. I wonder if she'll be doing any introductions.

• TopBilled likes this

#13 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,919 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:44 PM

Great deserving star. I wish TCM had gone with more rarities, such as the Taylor-Button HAMMERSMITH IS OUT. But should be a good week.

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

Seems an odd decision to group these movies together over five straight nights, when nothing precludes spreading them out throughout the month.

I love the choice as well. Richard Burton has always been one of my favourite actors, and it's nice to see him get his due on TCM. I'm especially pleased that the delightful and underrated STAIRCASE, co-starring Rex Harrison, has made the lineup.

A few years ago I believe they scheduled John Wayne over a one-week period. I don't remember the reason given for it. 

I love how they have Burton's early 20th Century Fox titles grouped together, plus some of his British film work; followed by his films with Liz, then the later solo stuff in the 70s which is all quite good. Especially glad to see EQUUS scheduled which contains one of his best performances.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#15 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

Wonderful! I just love this actor so much!

Interesting to see them scheduling all his nights in one week.

Seems an odd decision to group these movies together over five straight nights, when nothing precludes spreading them out throughout the month.

I love the choice as well. Richard Burton has always been one of my favourite actors, and it's nice to see him get his due on TCM. I'm especially pleased that the delightful and underrated STAIRCASE, co-starring Rex Harrison, has made the lineup.

• TopBilled likes this

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

Wonderful! I just love this actor so much!

Interesting to see them scheduling all his nights in one week.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#17 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Starting at 8:00PM, Monday March 6 through Friday March 10

richard-burton-featured.jpg

March 6

MY COUSIN RACHEL (1952)