We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Definitive books of history of MGM, Warners, Fox, Columbia & Paramount

Books Classic Film Silent Talkies Studio Studios MGM Fox Warner Bros

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,370 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

The Fox Film Corporation 1915-1935 by Aubrey Solomon is a good look at that studio prior to its merger with 20th Century Pictures.

I'm a big boy.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,447 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:27 PM

I have a series of 4 book about the major studios (WB,  MGM, Paramount, and Universal),  but I wouldn't say these are about the history of the studios.

There is an introduction that covers some of the history and before each decade the book will mention the coming decade and some history of the studio related to the decade, BUT,  95% of the book is a listing of all the movies the studio made,  with a brief mention of the plot, cast listing, director and how the movie was viewed by the public and \ or critics at the time it was released. 

I find these book useful as reference material but again, I wouldn't recommend them for someone looking for depth related to the history of a studio.

#3 cinecrazydc

cinecrazydc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

There is a series of books that has come out within the last 5 years each of which covers one of the major studios.  These are thick, well-illustrated, coffee table type books.  I have the one on Warner Brothers and I have seen others, including one on RKO !

Unfortunately, my books have been packed away in preparation for a move, so I cannot give you the authors and publisher at this time. Let me try to get back to you once I've unpacked.  

Good Luck !

#4 Shane91

Shane91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

I am starting to flesh out my classic film book collection. And I have been trying to track down the best books on the history of the studio era, Scott Eyman's Lion Of Hollywood has been recommended to me as the definitive book about MGM, and there are others about Warner Bro's I am considering purchasing. I was wondering if anyone here can give me some recommendations, particularly for books about Fox, as there does not seem to be many out there.  Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Books, Classic, Film, Silent, Talkies, Studio, Studios, MGM, Fox, Warner Bros

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users