We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM availability on Roku, Sling, etc.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jimmymac71

jimmymac71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Watch TCM is available on the Amazon Fire TV, but not Roku. It would be nice if Watch TCM was available on Roku and other streaming devices, not just Android, iOS, and web browsers. It is nice TCM is an option on many services, but Watch TCM is not, plus it requires being tied to a satellite or cable subscription.

#2 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Don't forget kookoorukoo

#3 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

I had a chance to have a look at the temperatures.  My main unit, a Genie HR44, is at 80 degrees F.  I remember the main unit being closer to 100 degrees in my entertainment center before I set it on top of a laptop cooling pad.That is the one that matters, as it has an internal HDD. 

The clients are the much smaller units without a HDD.  I looked at one of those and it is 134 degrees F.

Easy to check temp..go to info, more system info (you can check signal, and other stuff here too) scroll down to temp..if your receiver gets too hot you get a message and it shuts down..trust me on this..I've had directv for many years, and had my first problem a few months ago with this. If they give you a runaround, send an email to customer relations in Dallas and you will get results..bottom line, satellite and cable are hurting.. I got into an online chat with them last week, stressing how I might go back to cable and save $..they managed to finagle my package, saved $..and got 6 mos free HBO..the phone folks will not be so helpful.

I didn't know about there being a shutdown feature on the DVR itself. 

What I was talking about was the possibility of the processor used inside having a voltage limiting function activate if it gets too hot.  This has nothing to do with Directv's software, this would be internal  to an off-the-shelf component they use, which is there to prevent component failure.  If it is processing video and begins to exceed a safe operating temperature, then it would continue to run but would run at a degraded performance.  This could cause "pixelization".

Also, hard drives are going to be the component most sensitive to temperature.  Heat kills hard drives.  They usually go bad via the "death by a thousand paper cuts" route, unless there is a catastrophic event first which takes it out entirely.  So by the time a system thermal shutdown was activated (as you point out), there is probably a good chance it is already too late and the hard drive has started to degrade (from the long-term heat leading up to that incident).  A hard drive on its way out would have longer seek times and data it can't find, also resulting in dropouts or "pixelization".

So same approximate result, two different problems, same cause.  Heat. 

This device has a computer inside, and computers have always had fans, until recently.  Basically it comes down to customers not wanting proper cooling fans in their AV equipment, because they are too "noisy", so they get a convection-cooled device that typically has a shorter lifespan or MTBF (mean time between failure) unless kept cool.

This would apply to any of this cheap high volume mass produced value-engineered consumer crap that has the tendency to overheat:  cable boxes, cable DVRs, satellite boxes, Tivo, Roku, Haiku, Meeku, Youku, younameit...

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#4 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the tip!

#5 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:14 PM

Easy to check temp..go to info, more system info (you can check signal, and other stuff here too) scroll down to temp..if your receiver gets too hot you get a message and it shuts down..trust me on this..I've had directv for many years, and had my first problem a few months ago with this. If they give you a runaround, send an email to customer relations in Dallas and you will get results..bottom line, satellite and cable are hurting.. I got into an online chat with them last week, stressing how I might go back to cable and save $..they managed to finagle my package, saved $..and got 6 mos free HBO..the phone folks will not be so helpful.
  • slaytonf likes this

#6 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

No rain, no snow, no trees.  My receiver sits on top of a low cabinet with plenty of air circulation.  My guess is the signal strength and internal temperature were checked by the tech who came out.  Would you know how to check them?  What would too high a temperature be?

I eagerly await what people have to say about recording off the internet.

There aren't that many things that can go wrong here.  The only other things I can think of, off the top of my head - maybe the dish somehow became misaligned (maybe a bear used it to scratch his back), or maybe the hard disk drive in the DVR has issues (happens with DVRs from any provider).  The HDD issue is not uncommon.  It reads and writes from the HDD even if you are just watching TV live.  Also maybe Directv's network provider had issues, though not likely if it is a recurring issue for you, simply because it isn't a recurring issue for me

I'm not near my unit right now to check it, so I'll have to post back with stats.

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#7 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:05 PM

No rain, no snow, no trees.  My receiver sits on top of a low cabinet with plenty of air circulation.  My guess is the signal strength and internal temperature were checked by the tech who came out.  Would you know how to check them?  What would too high a temperature be?

I eagerly await what people have to say about recording off the internet.

#8 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Was getting pixellation and freezing on my DirectTV broadcast.  Called them and asked to have it fixed.  No problem, they said, for an $80 charge.  !!!!What!!!?  They were going to charge me to come out and fix their equipment?  No wonder.  It's AT&T, the second most evil empire in the corporate world (Shell being the most evil).  Last year I tried to get TV/Internet/phone triad installed.  I can't tell you the torture it was.  I must have been on the phone with them thirty times, for a total of twenty hours or so, mostly on hold.  There must have been fifteen different orders they wrote up, all wrong.  They got my address wrong, techs would show up three hours late, and not finish.  They never transferred my phone number.  Finally, after over a month, I said, forget it, cancel everything.  I was left with DirectTV, because of the two-year contract.  And it's been ok.  They don't block my recording, I get HD, the three channels I watch regular (and most NBC channels for the Olympics), and a DVR, all for $50 a month.

Anyway, after some polite suggestions about my not renewing after my contract ended, and never for eternity ever getting their service again, they agreed to waive the charges, and came out and did some stuff.  Didn't work.  I'm still waiting to see if they're going to bill me.

So naturally, I am eager to explore getting TCM over the internet.  But I am unsure how it works.  This is how I think it works:

First, you need some kind of streaming device.  It looks like there are Chromecast (or Googlechrome), Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV.

Then, you need a service, to watch through the device, like Sling TV, Playstation Vue, DirectTV Now, and YouTube TV.

But I have questions.  My TV is internet capable, so do I need one of those devices?  Maybe so, because I can't watch TCM on demand on it.  My TV says it won't support Adobe flash player.

Also, I like having a DVR.  It's easy to record what I want and make a DVD at my convenience.  If I get streaming internet TCM, is there a way to get a DVR of my own that will know the TV schedule?  And how do I record off the internet feed?  And will the streaming services block my recording?

Hey slayonf, just wondering more about your Directv situation.  Two key factors to consider are "line of sight" and "thermal management".  I have Directv too and no issues, outside of occasional "rain fade".

1) Did it happen when it was raining or snowing?

2) Are there trees in the way?  Not knowing what your installation looks like, something might have grown in the way to block the satellite dish.  Or for that matter, maybe a structure is blocking it.  Just go where the dish is, and look in the direction that it is pointed.  There is also a utility on the Directv DVR to look at all the different satellite transponder strengths.

3) Is your Directv DVR/receiver box in an open area and does it have plenty of air circulation?  I had heard about the challenge of getting a service guy out, so early on I put my DVR on top of a laptop computer cooling fan.  That may not be absolutely necessary, but heat kills electronics and in-between it can cause devices to go into thermal-protect mode (where applicable).  In my situation it is sitting in an entertainment center.  It has two walls and a roof over its head, it is completely open in front and in back.  It does tend to run a bit warmer than if I were to set it up on top.  (You can check the temp of your unit too with the on-screen diagnostics.)

I have some ideas on how to record a streaming Internet connection on schedule, just like a DVR, but for right now I'll defer to those who have actually tried it and use it.

#9 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Was getting pixellation and freezing on my DirectTV broadcast.  Called them and asked to have it fixed.  No problem, they said, for an $80 charge.  !!!!What!!!?  They were going to charge me to come out and fix their equipment?  No wonder.  It's AT&T, the second most evil empire in the corporate world (Shell being the most evil).  Last year I tried to get TV/Internet/phone triad installed.  I can't tell you the torture it was.  I must have been on the phone with them thirty times, for a total of twenty hours or so, mostly on hold.  There must have been fifteen different orders they wrote up, all wrong.  They got my address wrong, techs would show up three hours late, and not finish.  They never transferred my phone number.  Finally, after over a month, I said, forget it, cancel everything.  I was left with DirectTV, because of the two-year contract.  And it's been ok.  They don't block my recording, I get HD, the three channels I watch regular (and most NBC channels for the Olympics), and a DVR, all for $50 a month.

Anyway, after some polite suggestions about my not renewing after my contract ended, and never for eternity ever getting their service again, they agreed to waive the charges, and came out and did some stuff.  Didn't work.  I'm still waiting to see if they're going to bill me.

So naturally, I am eager to explore getting TCM over the internet.  But I am unsure how it works.  This is how I think it works:

First, you need some kind of streaming device.  It looks like there are Chromecast (or Googlechrome), Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV.

Then, you need a service, to watch through the device, like Sling TV, Playstation Vue, DirectTV Now, and YouTube TV.

But I have questions.  My TV is internet capable, so do I need one of those devices?  Maybe so, because I can't watch TCM on demand on it.  My TV says it won't support Adobe flash player.

Also, I like having a DVR.  It's easy to record what I want and make a DVD at my convenience.  If I get streaming internet TCM, is there a way to get a DVR of my own that will know the TV schedule?  And how do I record off the internet feed?  And will the streaming services block my recording?

#10 TomBarrister

TomBarrister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

TCM is also available on any level of DirecTVNow.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

I am new to Roku.  What do you mean by mirroring another device thru it?

Thank you and happy new year!

you can 'cast' to your Roku with a tablet or phone...my android tablet has a 'smart view' button, my older Kindles have a mirror choice under settings, Ipads have video cast option;   I guess every maker does it differently, but I'm pretty sure most devices have a way to 'cast' the image on it to something like Roku that can receive it..the devices 'find' the Roku stick, just like they do a network, or a Bluetooth device.

Here's a little tip..search google for the codes for 'underground' apps (not listed in roku's app store) XTV and Classic Reel..the best channels, full of new and old films, tv shows, live broadcasts, news and commercial free.

#12 vic12

vic12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

I love my Roku, but there is no TCM app yet..you can mirror another device through it though

I am new to Roku.  What do you mean by mirroring another device thru it?

Thank you and happy new year!

#13 gksipple

gksipple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:39 AM

Mel,  On Sling, TCM is an add on channel.  It is part of the Hollywood add on.  We just signed up for Sling a couple of days ago.  There is an option to watch all the Sling Channels LIVE, and on demand as well.  On the Sling page that shows the different packages, you scroll down to the bottom and see the various add ons for $5 a month.  Well worth the extra $5 to get TCM.  

• Mel H likes this

#14 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

I love my Roku, but there is no TCM app yet..you can mirror another device through it though

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm too preoccupied with so many things that I can't keep up with replacements for cable! I cannot wait to get rid of cable!

I had Sling for about six months last year. The price is right and it does get you away from cable, but what I didn't like about Sling was the picture would often freeze. I'd have to logout and then re-launch it, which was frustrating and time consuming. Maybe they've improved the service. You'll have to let us know!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#16 Mel H

Mel H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm too preoccupied with so many things that I can't keep up with replacements for cable! I cannot wait to get rid of cable!

• TopBilled likes this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

Yes, Mel, TCM is "live" on Sling. Plus it has some on-demand features.

• Mel H likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#18 Mel H

Mel H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

Hi, all:

I am moving out on my own soon and do not want the huge cable bill. The only reason I have cable (and I know I'm not alone here) is TCM, which my daughter and I watch regularly. 

Is the "live" channel available on services like Sling? I don't just want on demand. I really love having access to the actual channel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users