We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"La La Land" (2016)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

He seemed to be channeling Jacques Demy films, especially THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT more than any other film.

You're right.  I was lucky to see The Umbrellas of Cherbourg in a theatre, with those glorious colors. 

• rayban likes this

#2 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

I absolutely loved La La Land.  Future generations will see it much the same way we watch On The Town, with three sailors romping through a booming post-WWII New York; or 42nd Street, with young dancers trying to find success on Broadway in the early 1930s; or the urban dreamscape of youth unrest created in West Side Story.  Chazelle makes loving nods to these films, as well as An American in Paris and the Astaire/Rogers musicals. 

Damien Chazelle filmed Los Angeles like nothing I've seen before: a city of traffic jams made easy by song and dance; purple nights bathed in stars, and two people who felt something transcendent in L.A.'s beautiful vistas before they achieved their dreams separately: Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) owning a jazz club, and Mia (Emma Stone) becoming an A-list actress, now married to another and with a child.   Mia's expression at the film's end, hearing Sebastian play the familiar tune, with her husband at her side, and the realization of what could have been, and how magical it had been, is devastating.  

He seemed to be channeling Jacques Demy films, especially THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT more than any other film.

• cinemaspeak59, jaragon and rayban like this

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

I absolutely loved La La Land.  Future generations will see it much the same way we watch On The Town, with three sailors romping through a booming post-WWII New York; or 42nd Street, with young dancers trying to find success on Broadway in the early 1930s; or the urban dreamscape of youth unrest created in West Side Story.  Chazelle makes loving nods to these films, as well as An American in Paris and the Astaire/Rogers musicals. 

Damien Chazelle filmed Los Angeles like nothing I've seen before: a city of traffic jams made easy by song and dance; purple nights bathed in stars, and two people who felt something transcendent in L.A.'s beautiful vistas before they achieved their dreams separately: Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) owning a jazz club, and Mia (Emma Stone) becoming an A-list actress, now married to another and with a child.   Mia's expression at the film's end, hearing Sebastian play the familiar tune, with her husband at her side, and the realization of what could have been, and how magical it had been, is devastating.  

I love this film and I really don't understand people who don't get it.

#4 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

• jaragon and rayban like this

#5 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

Exactly. I think this point is lost on a lot of people, because the #1 complaint I read about the movie is that the singing and dancing could have been better. Polished singing and dancing isn't what the filmmakers were going for, but rather the "average person" in a musical

If I'm paying hard-earned money to watch people sing and dance, I want them to be way more than average. 

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

Exactly. I think this point is lost on a lot of people, because the #1 complaint I read about the movie is that the singing and dancing could have been better. Polished singing and dancing isn't what the filmmakers were going for, but rather the "average person" in a musical.

Yeah I just ran into people who did not like the movie for those reasons-

#7 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

...the film is closer in spirit to the Jaques Demy musicals in which average people expressed their joys and sorrows in song...

Exactly. I think this point is lost on a lot of people, because the #1 complaint I read about the movie is that the singing and dancing could have been better. Polished singing and dancing isn't what the filmmakers were going for, but rather the "average person" in a musical.

• cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Its not fair to compare  Gosling and Stone to Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds who would have played their roles if the film had been produced by MGM in the Golden Age.  But their charm and chemistry makes the movie work- the film is closer in spirit to the Jaques Demy musicals in which average people expressed their joys and sorrows in song ;of course average people who looked like movie stars ;)

• LawrenceA and cinemaspeak59 like this

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,496 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

I agree, I loved it too. The songs were memorable and the lead characters were very likable. The male was a pure jazz loving musician and the female was a struggling actress. You really rooted for them in this. Gosling was charismatic and Stone was adorable.

It was great to see a pure jazz loving musician get some love.    Sadly jazz is now the least played music in the USA.

#10 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

I agree, I loved it too. The songs were memorable and the lead characters were very likable. The male was a pure jazz loving musician and the female was a struggling actress. You really rooted for them in this. Gosling was charismatic and Stone was adorable.

#11 istara

istara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:22 AM

I loved the film. I rather wish they had dubbed the lead actors' singing voices, particularly his.  His dancing was also weak given the inevitable comparisons to Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire etc.

However, as a homage to those musicals, and a new, contemporary form, it was wonderful.

#12 Hadrios

Hadrios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:34 AM

A heartfelt movie which every muscle in your body. Truly amazing and both Emma and Ryan have done an amazing job. I would love to watch the movie again.I found interesting facts about Emma & Ryan on earn the necklace ,must have a look if Emma fan.

• rayban likes this

#13 Hadrios

Hadrios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

A heartfelt movie which every muscle in your body. Truly amazing and both Emma and Ryan have done an amazing job. I would love to watch the movie again.I found interesting facts about Emma & Ryan on earn the necklace ,must have a look if Emma fan.

#14 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

I love this movie so much I'm willing to pay to see in the theater again

• rayban likes this

#15 Hadrios

Hadrios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:10 AM

The musical movie La La Land, which continues to roll out into more theatres since its initial release last month, is one of those films people can obsess over.Its really a must see also watch more detailed story on earn the necklace.

#16 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Maybe Hollywood will return to making musicals like back in the day.

#17 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

A must see for any fan of the classic American movie musical-https://youtu.be/0pdqf4P9MB8

• TopBilled, LawrenceA, cinemaspeak59 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users