We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

8 1/2 (1963)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marcar

marcar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

8 1/2 is one of my all-time favorite films: No. 2 on my top ten list. 

I didn't realize this whole foreign language film discussion was here and I'm so glad I found it. This is only second post so I'll also keep it short, too.

#2 Dice

Dice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

I agree, I agree..in fact I think I agree with your entire post! Thanks for sharing.
This is my first post on this site so I'm making it short and too the point: I love all of Fellini films.
  • cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

Mastroianni was either very lucky or very astute in choosing his many and varied film projects.

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

"8 1/2" was one of the great movie experiences of my lifetime.

What a period for Mastroianni, starring in one masterpiece after another, working with Fellini, Antonioni, Germi, De Sica.

• LawrenceA, rayban and marcar like this

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

"8 1/2" was one of the great movie experiences of my lifetime.

• cinemaspeak59 and marcar like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

The character name, Gu*ido, is considered an ethnic slur against Italians by some people, therefore it gets zapped by the auto-censor. Much like trying to discuss Doo-Wo*p music or the Chester Morris series of Boston Black*ie movies.

Thanks for this info.  I couldn't figure it out. 

• rayban likes this

#7 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

The character name, Gu*ido, is considered an ethnic slur against Italians by some people, therefore it gets zapped by the auto-censor. Much like trying to discuss Doo-Wo*p music or the Chester Morris series of Boston Black*ie movies.

• rayban likes this

#8 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

You have to hand it to Federico Fellini for directing a film about the trials of a director. Perhaps no other film captures what it means to be un regista as 8 1/2 (1963) does.   The job is really a vocation.  The great Marcello Mastroianni, who plays Gui*do Anselmi, Fellini's alter ego,  at times resembles a cleric, even down to the hat that adorns his head. Catholic imagery abounds.  Making a film is all-consuming, blocking out other urges and emotions. Gui*do invites his seductive but needy mistress, Carla (the wonderful Sandra Milo), to keep him company on the set.  He checks her into a hotel, and basically forgets about her.  Indeed, the set of Gui*do's film is full of attractive women, all unsuccessfully vying for his attention, professional and otherwise.

Mastroianni doesn't portray his character as a Casanova, luring actresses with job offers, only as a pretense to sleep with them.  He's truly tortured.  A real crisis of confidence has set in.  And the way "Doubts" can destroy the faith of a clergyman, Gui*do begins to question his worth as a film maker, and the worth of films in general.  Surreal flashbacks to his childhood - Saraghina, the scary but gentle prostitute; his parents, for whom he has many questions - provide momentary comfort before vanishing into reality. Fellini faced similar issues, about what his next project would be after the monumental La Dolce Vita (1960).

Anouk Aimee appears in the second act as Luisa, Gui*do's long-suffering wife.  Luisa knows very well about his affairs.  They love each other but the passion is gone.  They sleep in separate beds.  Luisa's steely resolve is shattered when she sees Carla walking around the set.  That her husband would parade his mistress in front of her is one insult too many.  Luisa's plainness, with her short hair, glasses, and unflattering clothes, is a sharp contrast to the voluptuous and hip-swaying Carla.  The Madonna/tart symbols personified in Luisa and Carla are unmistakable.

8 1/2 is a triumph of production design. Nino Rota's brilliant score complements the tableaux.  The stark and beautiful black & white photography enhances the dream-like feel.  I'm not sure 8 1/2 is Fellini's best film.  Self-indulgence creeps into the picture. Following its release, Fellini hit a slump that would last 10 years, until he rebounded with the superb Amarcord.  Nonetheless, 8 1/2 is a great film.  Mastroianni gives a memorable performance, his trademark cool and charisma ever on display.  The film even functions as a slice of Italian history, as the country's film industry in the early 1960s  was a magnet for wannabe celebrities and the glitterati. 8 1/2 was literally Fellini's eighth and a half film.  His directorial debut, Variety Lights (1950), was a collaboration with Alberto Lattuada.

Every time I watch 8 1/2, I like it and appreciate it more.

• jaragon, rayban and marcar like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users