We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Films of 2017

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

My first 2017 movie: Logan. At this rate I would expect 2017 to be like 2016 when I saw none of the major nominations for best picture, best actor, best actress, etc,. prior to the Oscars. But that statement could be wrong right off the bat. This is not your usual superhero movie (in many ways, it is more reminiscent of a western) and it gave both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart plenty of opportunity to act and they both took advantage of that opportunity. And, considering Oscar's tendency to nominate actors and actresses who have portrayed characters with a physical or mental disability plus its tendency to honor those with long and distinguished careers, I would not be surprised if Stewart gets a best supporting actor nomination out of this one. I know, way too early to be having such thoughts.

• LawrenceA likes this

#2 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,691 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Finally! ‘The Other Side of the Wind’ footage in L.A.; Netflix to release Orson Welles film-

"After more than 40 years of failed attempts and missed opportunities, Orson Welles’ unfinished The Other Side of the Wind will be completed and streamed to 93 million Netflix subscribers worldwide....

http://www.wellesnet...on-welles-film/

:o

• Bogie56 likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

Four new films opened over the past weekend in North America-- Jordan Vogt-Roberts' KONG: SKULL ISLAND; Ritesh Batra's THE SENSE OF AN ENDING; Julia Ducoumau's RAW; and Olivier Assayas' PERSONAL SHOPPER.

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-03-13-at-6-46-35-pm.png

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#4 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,691 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

‘Get Out’ Has Crossed The Coveted $100 Million Mark At The Box Office-   Meanwhile, “Kong: Skull Island” surpassed expectations in its opening weekend.

http://www.huffingto...b054a0ea6b405e?

#5 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Here's a piece from The Washington Post about the "brilliant casting" of "Get Out":

Get-Out.jpg

Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener play well-to-do parents in "Get Out"

https://www.washingt...m=.27b3d425d3fd

• mr6666 likes this

#6 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,691 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

‘Get Out’ dials up the scary side of race in America-

"A trip to meet the parents in the heart of safe, well-heeled, white suburban America: What could possibly go wrong?

The new film “Get Out” is a horror film about race, and part of the horror is just how close to normal it feels...

The movie has been praised by critics, and it’s exceeded most box office expectations. It has a lot more on its mind than just scaring its audience....

http://www.pbs.org/n...e-race-america/

Variety Review: http://variety.com/2...ele-1201968635/

NYTimes: https://www.nytimes....errer=google_kp

• jakeem likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Six new films opened over the past weekend in North America-- James Mangold's LOGAN; Stuart Hazeldine's THE SHACK; Ry Russo-Young's BEFORE I FALL; Jeffrey Blitz's TABLE 19; Mark Pellington's THE LAST WORD; and Onur Tukel's CATFIGHT.

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-03-06-at-4-25-37-pm.png

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#8 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

RollingStone.com lists "10 Best Movies to See in March." One of them is Danny Boyle's sequel to his 1996 hit "Trainspotting," which boosted the director's career as well as those of actors Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Jonny Lee Miller, Kevin McKidd, Robert Carlyle and Kelly Macdonald. All of them are back for the new film, which is titled "T2 Trainspotting."

t2-trainspotting-2-teaser-trailer-000.jp

Bremner, McGregor, Miller and Carlyle are back for Danny Boyle's sequel to "Trainspotting" 

http://www.rollingst...iJpbmJvdW5kIn0=

#9 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

Jakeem, you left out a few  "Going In Style" remake from the wonderful 1979 version)-(April)

"War: Kong something?" (summer)

& 1 I am really into   "Dunkirk"

Anyway word of long delayed "Beetlejuice II" (Winona & Keaton?)

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

Four new films opened over the past weekend in North America-- Eran Creevy's COLLIDE; Jordan Peele's GET OUT; Ash Brannon's ROCK DOG; and Colm McCarthy's THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS.

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-02-28-at-7-56-19-am.png

#11 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:29 AM

rs_1024x683-170221092250-1024.Star-Wars-

The newest Disney "Star Wars" spinoff began production in London on Tuesday, The film -- a look back at some early Han Solo adventures -- features Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton.

The film, which is untitled for now, is expected to be released in 2018.

http://www.usatoday....lover/98200284/

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

Five new films opened over the past weekend in North America-- Zhang Yimou's THE GREAT WALL; Gore Verbinski's A CURE FOR WELLNESS; Richie Keen's FIGHT FIGHT; Amma Asante's A UNITED KINGDOM; and Anne Hamilton's AMERICAN FABLE.

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-02-21-at-6-26-43-am.png

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Three new films opened over the weekend in North America-- Chris McKay's THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE; James Foley's FIFTY SHADES DARKER; and Chad Stahelski's JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2.

From wiki (Chinese films are STILL ruling the box office):

screen-shot-2017-02-12-at-3-37-02-pm.png

#14 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,621 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Here's something I'm looking forward to:

trainspotting2.jpg

https://www.theguard...ny-boyle-sequel

• LawrenceA likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

Four new films opened over the weekend in North America-- F. Javier Gutierrez's RINGS; Peter Chelsom's THE SPACE BETWEEN US; Joel David Moore's YOUTH IN OREGON; and John Michael McDonagh's WAR ON EVERYONE.

From wiki (Chinese films are ruling the box office):

screen-shot-2017-02-06-at-7-09-06-am.png

#16 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Rolling Stone.com has listed its "50 Most Anticipated Movies of 2017." Two of them are based on Stephen King tales -- "The Dark Tower" and "It."

Gunslinger-Idris-620.jpg

Idris Elba stars as the the Gunslinger Roland Deschain in "The Dark Tower"

http://www.rollingst...-jul-28-w458412

• mr6666 likes this

#17 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

My spouse and I both enjoyed The Founder, and I was actually surprised when it was over, because the movie had gone by so fast. Who knew a film about McDonald's would be this interesting? Of course Michael Keaton has no problem diving into the character of wheeler dealer Ray Kroc. His perfect foil is Nick Offerman as Dick McDonald, deadpan, a solid rock of a man with strong ideas about integrity. John Carroll Lynch as Mac McDonald, Dick's brother, a taller but more accommodating man, is also outstanding. Linda Cardinelli as Joan Smith, eventually to be Joan Kroc, is quite lovely and looks good in the period costumes. At the end of the film Kroc offers what are now, I believe, called "alternative facts" about the founding of McDonald's.  The film is very much about two different visions of America as reflected in two different approaches to business.

For car buffs, this film is a must, with many fine 1950s vehicles on display.

If the subject interests you, you'll probably like the movie.

• LawrenceA likes this

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

These new films were released in North America this week-- Maggie Greenwald's SOPHIE AND THE RISING SUN (opened on Wednesday); Lasse Halstrom's A DOG'S PURPOSE; Paul Anderson's RESIDENT EVIL: THE FINAL CHAPTER; Evan Oppenheimer's LOST IN FLORENCE; Justin Kelly's I AM MICHAEL; and Adam Randall's iBOY (on Netflix).

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-01-28-at-1-09-55-pm.png

#19 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Here's a look at some noteworthy movies from the 2017 Sundance Film Festival, including David Lowery's "A Ghost Story," which stars Best Actor favorite Casey Affleck ("Manchester by the Sea") and Rooney Mara.

http://www.esquire.c...-sundance-2017/

• TopBilled likes this

#20 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

It's official: 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' will be called 'The Last Jedi'

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/23/the-last-jedi-star-wars-episode-viii-has-a-title/ 

C23hSsFUoAA4twW.jpg

I wonder if that'll cause a huge collective sigh of relief?

I once toyed with a "mock" movie title----

"Coming this summer.  Geroge Burns reprises his role as the Almighty with Albert Brooks and the delightful Goldie Hawn in the hilarious romp, "Oh, GOD!  Not AGAIN!?!"

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users