We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Films of 2017

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Morgan Freeman to receive SAG Life Achievement Award

http://ew.com/awards...ialflow_twitter

morganfreeman759.jpg

#2 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

xN83wlqp_bigger.jpgVarietyVeri @Variety

More

Box Office: #HitmansBodyguard nabs No. 1, #LoganLucky misfires LoganLucky_Emoji.pnghttp://bit.ly/2vdT71Q 

DHtXQWpV0AEo2BJ.jpg

#3 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

Daniel Craig confirms he will return as #JamesBond http://bit.ly/2uNixDR 

DHWqgtMW0AArkcV.jpg

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#4 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

How Will Studios End The Lowest Summer In 25 Years? By Not Opening Any New Wide Releases Over Labor Day....

http://deadline.com/...ice-1202148544/

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#5 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

From ‘The Crown’ to ‘Darkest Hour,’ Wealth of Churchill Projects Signals Hunger for Leadership http://variety.com/2017/film/features/crown-darkest-hour-churchill-1202441872/  via @variety

churchill-movie.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

#6 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

GREAT GOING BUDDY! However & as we all now it's very early yet.   These 87th annual Academy Awards may be of a history vent a bit though

You have both   Oldman & Brain Cox as "Churchill" Benedict Cumbermatch as "Edison"_"Current War"),  Steve Carell as Bobby Riggs in "Battle of the Sexes" & of course more, possibly K. Branagh in "Murder on the 0rient Express?" Also, though no footage is set yet but John Travolta portrays John Gotti

as for the Ladies> Dench, "Victoria & Abdul" Annete Benning-(her 5th shot), Emma Stone as "Billie Jean King" in "Battle of the Sexes" Salma Hayek & I'd have look, but even more & never know actors get lucky in *"The Woodman" films & *K. Winslet is due in "Wonder Wheel"

& from the looks of whats coming ahead & despite some of it's drawbacks>"Dunkirk" may still be a big contender?  Also "Mudbark" "0ur Finest Hour" "The Current war" & several *Oscar pundits are high on "Wonder Woman"

& PLEASE HELP OUT!!! What ever happened to *Nicole's big "DUNKIRK?" Not 1 local theatre has plans to get it & no posters either?

WHO HAS SEEN IT & WHAT DID YOU THINK PLEASE? ;)  <_<  -_-  :rolleyes:  :o  B)

These just may be a historical *Oscars

#7 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

though Extremely early I'LL SEARCH FOR THE SUPPORTING RACES FIR YOU

rECKON NOW THAT "the beguiled" WOULD NOW OPEN WIDE, NXCT I HOPE TO SEE IS "BATTLE OF THE sEXAS"

sadly though not among the greatest, but I REALLY GO FOR *NIC0LE ever since "To Die For"

Ever see 2004's "DOGVILLE?
​ )4 stars!)

#8 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

To Jakeem, did you or someone edit down these releases I posted on here yesterday?   Because there was a lot more I submitted?

Looking ahead  in the distant future, *Dench is the a-typical type they would want to vote a 2nd *Academy award & for a typical period pc costume drama. I'll never forget the late Gene Siskel was adamant about her winning for '97's "Mrs. Brown"

Stating she should win by "proclamation"   Unless of course they finally want to honor Bening?

& though incredibally early, 0ldman seems the frontrunner already. Jakeem, ever see him in ":Sid & Nancy" "State of Grace" =(my pick as his finest work to date!)"Dracula"-(many pick on that thriller, but I agree w/Maltin in rating it a 3 & 1/2. It had everything going for it, music, performances, costumes, art-direction, sound, visuals. It's score was not in the race though> & did take home Best Make-Up, Sound Effects & Costume Design & made $83m. Not so much scary-(I rarely if ever get scared at a movie) but amazing to look at! & as you & others may be aware I'm very prejudiced when it comes to little WINONA! Others he did I wonder if you've seen yet>"True Romance"(AMAZING SUPPORTING WORK!), "The Professional" "The Contender"-(but Jeff Bridges got the nod.), But I've yet to see his sole *Oscar bid td "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?"

I know I got the same EW info & typically the magazine didn't even bother to include it???

Jakeem, good going again pal!  I just got the newewst issue & **** you know early,it may tape a bit of shape?

(NOTE: Did you also cite the supporting masybes.,, because they have Carell in that role instead?

#9 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

The new president of @TheAcademy tells @ThatRebecca what might be different about next year's Oscars

https://www.vanityfa...=social_twitter

john-bailey-academy-president.jpg?w=670&

#10 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

Weekend box office: #AnnabelleCreation terrifying competition with $36M-plus debut http://thr.cm/ZZMBgv 

DHCUBzbU0AQr2_Q.jpg

#11 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Jakeem, did you see "W. Woman" yet?   But by  far as you of all know "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" is 2007's biggest ****  at over $500m. domestically only  I think that makes it No. 7 ever

Elba was in talks to portray the next "BOND"  My vote Tom Hardy  This guy name literally do everything & only at 40!

Ever see the nasty british gangster film "Legend?" (strong ***) beware the cockney accents are even stronger then *Connery's 1965 powerhouse "The Hill" (***1/2)

In "My Alternate *Oscars" I voted for Hardy as Best performance by a leading role in that pic. But he was only up for s. actor that yr for "The Revevent" instead  There was a  1990 crime-drama "The Krays" never saw it.

Edited by TCMModerator1, 11 August 2017 - 10:08 PM.
Edited Quote for Language

#12 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

Box Office: #TheDarkTowerMovie leads slow weekend with $19.5 million, #DetroitMovie stumbles http://bit.ly/2uwvyRm  Detroit_Emojiv2.png

DGje-IxXUAIgjeq.jpg

Jakeem, did you see "W. Woman" yet?   But by  far as you of all know "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" is 2007's biggest ****  at over $500m. domestically only  I think that makes it No. 7 ever

Edited by TCMModerator1, 11 August 2017 - 10:07 PM.
Edited for Language

#13 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

To Jakeem, did you or someone edit down these releases I posted on here yesterday?   Because there was a lot more I submitted?

Looking ahead  in the distant future, *Dench is the a-typical type they would want to vote a 2nd *Academy award & for a typical period pc costume drama. I'll never forget the late Gene Siskel was adamant about her winning for '97's "Mrs. Brown"

Stating she should win by "proclamation"   Unless of course they finally want to honor Bening?

& though incredibally early, 0ldman seems the frontrunner already. Jakeem, ever see him in ":Sid & Nancy" "State of Grace" =(my pick as his finest work to date!)"Dracula"-(many pick on that thriller, but I agree w/Maltin in rating it a 3 & 1/2. It had everything going for it, music, performances, costumes, art-direction, sound, visuals. It's score was not in the race though> & did take home Best Make-Up, Sound Effects & Costume Design & made $83m. Not so much scary-(I rarely if ever get scared at a movie) but amazing to look at! & as you & others may be aware I'm very prejudiced when it comes to little WINONA! Others he did I wonder if you've seen yet>"True Romance"(AMAZING SUPPORTING WORK!), "The Professional" "The Contender"-(but Jeff Bridges got the nod.), But I've yet to see his sole *Oscar bid td "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?"

I know I got the same EW info & typically the magazine didn't even bother to include it???

GREAT GOING BUDDY! However & as we all now it's very early yet.   These 87th annual Academy Awards may be of a history vent a bit though

You have both   Oldman & Brain Cox as "Churchill" Benedict Cumbermatch as "Edison"_"Current War"),  Steve Carell as Bobby Riggs in "Battle of the Sexes" & of course more, possibly K. Branagh in "Murder on the 0rient Express?" Also, though no footage is set yet but John Travolta portrays John Gotti

as for the Ladies> Dench, "Victoria & Abdul" Annete Benning-(her 5th shot), Emma Stone as "Billie Jean King" in "Battle of the Sexes" Salma Hayek & I'd have look, but even more & never know actors get lucky in *"The Woodman" films & *K. Winslet is due in "Wonder Wheel"

& from the looks of whats coming ahead & despite some of it's drawbacks>"Dunkirk" may still be a big contender?  Also "Mudbark" "0ur Finest Hour" "The Current war" & several *Oscar pundits are high on "Wonder Woman"

& PLEASE HELP OUT!!! What ever happened to *Nicole's big "DUNKIRK?" Not 1 local theatre has plans to get it & no posters either?

WHO HAS SEEN IT & WHAT DID YOU THINK PLEASE? ;)  <_<  -_-  :rolleyes:  :o  B) 

#14 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

AMC Entertainment CEO on the rough summer at the box office: "Disappointed would be an understatement" http://bit.ly/2vjxEGb 

DG448s6VoAAJCu0.jpg

#15 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

& to add to the above 2017 upcoming releases I already posted on here, I thought it only polite to post these on (Jakeem's running post & not a new one)

EW-(Entertainment Weekly) just released a lot of upcoming & they say *Oscar contenders for the fall of 2017 & most are>

Best Picture:

"Call Me By Your Name" (Sundance biggie)

"Breathe" (Andrew ("Hacksaw Ridge") Garfield stars & the amazingly talented Andy Serkis makes his directorial debut)

"Lady Bird" (Saoirse Ronan already a contender for "Brooklyn")

"Mudbound" (Sundance) & stars Carey Mulligan. This one already has huge buzz

"Downsizing" (D-Alexander Payne who has already taken home 2 *Oscars for his writing)

"The Papers" (Spielberg is back!)

Best Actor according to EW:

Steve Carell in "Battle of the Sexes" as Bobby Riggs

Jake Gyllenhaal in "Stronger" as a Boston Bombing victim

Benedict Cumbermatch in & as Albert Einstein in "The Current War"-(NOTE: Imagine if he's up for leading actor vs. 0ldman & Brian Cox for the 2 Churchill bio's)

Christian Bale in "Hostiles"

Bryan Cranston in "Last Flag Flying"

Matt Damon in "Downsizing"

& Actress:

Annette Bening in "Film Stars Don't Die"-(would mark her 5th try)

Emma Stone in "Battle of the Sexes" as Billie Jean King

Glenn Close in "The Wife"-(she already has 6 nods. to date)

Judi Dench in "Victoria & Abdul"-(you know how they love costume/period pieces)

Jennifer Lawrence in "Mother"

Quite a number are left out of course, but that's that for now

JAKEEM, please send your thoughts :D  :)

#16 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:40 AM

Somehow women still make up less than a third of speaking characters in top U.S. movies: http://slate.me/2fhGTD3 

DGi7LNPW0AAN99W.jpg

Among sole releases I kind of regret not going to, just fed-up w/comics, sequels, remakes. Did go to the almost lousy at times & massively $expensive$ "Batman vs. Superman" ($330m.) (**) last year though. & speaking of it, it was well-known in Tinsel-Town & elsewhere that *Ben Affleck really juiced up w/steroids for that role. It was obvious, there were shots of him already twice his normal size leaving places. & you don't get that big that fast from just lifting weights either!  It's main debit was Jesse Eisemnberg as Lex Luther. Usually a pretty talented actor, but waaay over the top here. *Hackman was easily the finest in that role.

#17 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:35 AM

I could have told you that Detroit wouldn't be #1 for the weekend, and it wasn't because of any political reasons, either. It wasn't distributed widely enough. No movie that doesn't come to my local theater ever hits #1. And while we got The Dark Tower and Kidnap this weekend, we did not get Detroit.

It's also got very premature *Oscar buzz?

#18 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:34 AM

Cartoon BrewVerified account @cartoonbrew 2h2 hours ago

Emoji Movie, with a 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, made $12 million last weekend.

The Girl Without Hands, with 100% rating, made $1,246.

:wacko:

Also go by (metacriutic.com) & of course (imdb.com)

#19 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:33 AM

Emoji Movie, with a 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, made $12 million last weekend.

& said to be yet another "asinine" concept in this era.

#20 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users