We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Films of 2017

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

It's official: 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' will be called 'The Last Jedi'

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/23/the-last-jedi-star-wars-episode-viii-has-a-title/ 

C23hSsFUoAA4twW.jpg

#22 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:07 AM

What? No Meryl Streep movie forward to which I may be looking?

:D

Sorry Yoda.  Not so far yet is one.

The only movie I'm interested in that just came around is THE FOUNDER. The story(supposedly) of the rise of the MacDONALD'S empire.  It's a fascinating story if you ever read anything over the years about the company.  But, IMHO....

After seeing the profile of Col. HARLAN SANDERS some years back when A&E still had their BIOGRAPHY program,  it looked to me to be a pretty fascinating story for a "biopic" .  How he started and how FAR he went with it is pretty fantastic.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#23 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

What? No Meryl Streep movie forward to which I may be looking?

#24 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Looks like scrapping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel to me; the usual action sequels and recycled mediocre tv shows, but I'm not part of the desired audience.

Agreed. More special effects, fantasy, comic book stuff, etc.

Saw the trailer for Dunkirk. Might be worth a look because I like history, but doubt if audiences will flock to see it.

• spence likes this

I'm a big boy.

#25 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Seven new films opened this weekend in North America-- M. Night Shyamalan's SPLIT; D.J. Caruso's XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE; Dallas Jenkins' THE RESURRECTION OF GAVIN STONE; Adam Smith's TRESPASS AGAINST US; Woody Harrelson's LOST IN LONDON; Christopher Smith's DETOUR; and Michael de Wit's THE RED TURTLE.

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-01-22-at-12-24-50-pm.pn

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#26 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Rolling Stone has an online preview titled "25 Movies We Can't Wait to See at Sundance 2017." The annual film festival, held in Park City, Utah as a showcase for independent films and rising filmmakers, kicks off on Thursday.

Among the anticipated films is the teaming of two erstwhile Avengers -- Jeremy Renner (who plays Hawkeye) and Elizabeth Olsen (a.k.a. The Scarlet Witch). In "Wind River,"  the actors play law enforcement authorities investigating a murder at a Native American reservation. The film marks the directorial debut of the award-winning screenwriter Taylor Sheridan ("Sicario," "Hell or High Water").

jeremy-renner-and-elizabeth-olsen-plot-c

Renner in "Wind River"

http://www.rollingst.../wilson-w458338

• LawrenceA likes this

#27 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Six new films were released in North America this weekend-- Stacy Title's THE BYE BYE MAN; Baran Odar's SLEEPLESS; Chris Wedge's MONSTER TRUCKS; Jim O'Hanlon's 100 STREETS; and Bill Purple's THE BOOK OF LOVE; and Alistair Legrand's CLINICAL (on Netflix).

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-01-15-at-9-43-33-am.png

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#28 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

Here's a look at "The 15 Most Anticipated Movies of 2017" from esquire.com:

The-Snowman.jpg

Michael Fassbender tracks a Norwegian serial killer in "The Snowman"

http://www.esquire.c...movies-of-2017/

• mr6666 and LawrenceA like this

#29 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,693 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

‘Monster Trucks’ Lost Paramount $115 Million—And The Film Isn’t Even Out-

"Monster Trucks, the live-action/cg-hybrid debut of Ice Age director Chris Wedge, doesn’t open in theaters until next week, but Paramount has already written off the movie as one big disaster. A $115 million disaster to be exact, which to put into perspective, is almost 80% of the budget that the United States government spends annually on ALL artists in this country of 325 million people...

http://www.cartoonbr...ven-147292.html

Gotta admit trailer DOES look pretty lame...

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#30 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,188 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

Baywatch and Chips - 2 more movies based on TV shows, both taking an ironic, comedic tone. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Zac Efron topline the former, while the less-dynamic Dax Shepard and Michael Pena star in the latter.

Speaking of unwanted returns, Underworld: Blood Wars and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter add more installments to their respective franchises. Kate Beckinsale and Milla Jovovich must be getting tired of these.

Anna Foerster's UNDERWORLD: BLOOD WARS is the very first official release of 2017. It opens in North America on Friday January 6th.  

Also slated for release during the first week of 2017-- Steven C. Miller's ARSENAL and Emily Hagins' COIN HEIST.

#31 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

Looks like scrapping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel to me; the usual action sequels and recycled mediocre tv shows, but I'm not part of the desired audience.  Hopefully the more interesting and adult flicks will come out later in the year.  I love Idris Elba so maybe THE DARK TOWER might be worthwhile.  Thanks for the listing, LawrenceA.

• LawrenceA likes this

#32 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,315 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

New year, new thread. Looking over some articles about what's on deck for this calendar year, I can't say that things look too exciting. A few noteworthy releases include:

Logan - Claiming to be Hugh Jackman's final outing in the role of Logan/Wolverine, this looks to be darker, grittier and more personal than most of the X-Men films. 

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 - The next adventure for the misfit band of outer space heroes from Marvel Studios. The first one was a big hit, and critically well-liked, so expectations are high for this.

Thor: Ragnarok - The third installment in the Thor series of Marvel superhero movies, this one sees the God of Thunder teaming up with the Hulk on an intergalactic adventure. Cate Blanchett plays the villain.

Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot stars as the Amazon warrior, continuing on from a brief turn in 2016's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. This is an origin story and a period piece, set mainly during WW1. The first trailer looked interesting, but some rumors of behind-the-scenes trouble have tempered expectations a bit. Warner Brothers is hoping for a big hit, since this leads into...

Justice League - Coming out at the end of the year, this is the DC comics answer to Marvel's The Avengers. This brings together Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. Will this match the quality of The Avengers, or be a muddled, overlong, overloaded mess?

Spider-Man: Homecoming - Marvel's hoping the third time's the charm, as they reboot this series yet again, recasting the characters and changing up the storyline. Young Tom Holland takes over the title role, and this time out he battles the Vulture, played by Michael Keaton.

Power Rangers - The silly Japanese TV import from the 1990's get a big-budget remake. 5 teens are granted great powers, colorful costumes, and giant robots to battle Rita Repulsa (Elizabeth Banks) and her giant monster minions.

The LEGO Batman Movie - A spin-off of sorts from the hit Lego Movie from a few years back, this centers on the Caped Crusader and his usual gallery of supporting characters.

The Fate of the Furious - Yet another high-speed, physics-defying action fest starring Vin Diesel and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, this time fighting new villain Charlize Theron. Lots of grunting and explosions, I'm sure.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - A fifth outing for Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), searching for Poseidon's Trident before new bad guy Javier Bardem can get it.

Baywatch and Chips - 2 more movies based on TV shows, both taking an ironic, comedic tone. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Zac Efron topline the former, while the less-dynamic Dax Shepard and Michael Pena star in the latter.

XXX: The Return of Xander Cage - Because no one asked for it, Vin Diesel returns for this third entry in the spy/extreme sports/action franchise.

Speaking of unwanted returns, Underworld: Blood Wars and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter add more installments to their respective franchises. Kate Beckinsale and Milla Jovovich must be getting tired of these.

There are more sequels to contend with: Rings, a third entry in the J-horror series; Fifty Shades Darker, for more cinema-friendly naughtiness;  John Wick 2, which most likely will fail to match the verve of the surprisingly good first film; War for the Planet of the Apes concludes the recent trilogy of well-done ape movies, this time pitting the apes against Woody Harrelson; Kingsman: The Golden Circle, more teen spy shenanigans

A Cure for Wellness - This looks promising, an unnerving psycho-thriller from director Gore Verbinski and starring Dane DeHaan.

The Great Wall - A big, expensive fantasy epic, featuring Matt Damon and Andy Lau, this is a Chinese co-production, and is directed by acclaimed filmmaker Zhang Yimou.

Kong: Skull Island - Another expensive-looking fantasy adventure, featuring the giant gorilla, this time facing a cast that includes Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson.

Disney's Beauty and the Beast - A live-action retelling of the classic, featuring songs and all, starring Emma Watson as Belle.

Ghost in the Shell - Sci-fi action film starring Scarlett Johansson came in for some bad press due to accusations of racism in the casting decision, since this is an adaptation of a beloved manga and anime from Japan.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - Guy Ritchie directs this umpteenth retelling of the King and his knights of the round table. 

Alien Covenant - Ridley Scott directs this continuation of the Alien and Prometheus storylines.

Blade Runner 2049 - I'm a huge fan of the original, so I can't help but think this is a bad idea. Harrison Ford returns, but Ryan Gosling is the star.

The Mummy - Tom Cruise stars in this remake, which looks more like an action epic than any kind of supernatural horror. This is the start of a hoped-for franchise.

Cars 3 - More talking cars. Honk honk.

Despicable Me 3 - Because kids like sequels, too.

The Emoji Movie: Express Yourself - They've officially run out of ideas.

Transformers: The Last Knight - This will be headache-inducing, no doubt.

Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan directs this WW2 tale.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - French director Luc Besson directs this elaborate-looking space opera.

The Dark Tower - Stephen King adaptation featuring Idris Elba and Matthew McConnaughey.

It - Another Stephen King adaptation, this time trying to cram everything in the massive book into a 2-hour running time. Oh, and they've updated the setting, so all of the fun growing-up-in-the-60's references will be gone.

These are just a few of the higher-profile releases for the year, and most of the more interesting films won't come out until late in the year, most likely. 

Everyone please feel free to add any titles you've seen or want to see, or that you think look especially terrible.

• mr6666 and TopBilled like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users