We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Films of 2017

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:29 AM

rs_1024x683-170221092250-1024.Star-Wars-

The newest Disney "Star Wars" spinoff began production in London on Tuesday, The film -- a look back at some early Han Solo adventures -- features Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton.

The film, which is untitled for now, is expected to be released in 2018.

http://www.usatoday....lover/98200284/

#22 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

Five new films opened over the past weekend in North America-- Zhang Yimou's THE GREAT WALL; Gore Verbinski's A CURE FOR WELLNESS; Richie Keen's FIGHT FIGHT; Amma Asante's A UNITED KINGDOM; and Anne Hamilton's AMERICAN FABLE.

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-02-21-at-6-26-43-am.png

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#23 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Three new films opened over the weekend in North America-- Chris McKay's THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE; James Foley's FIFTY SHADES DARKER; and Chad Stahelski's JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2.

From wiki (Chinese films are STILL ruling the box office):

screen-shot-2017-02-12-at-3-37-02-pm.png

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#24 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,824 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Here's something I'm looking forward to:

trainspotting2.jpg

https://www.theguard...ny-boyle-sequel

• LawrenceA likes this

#25 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

Four new films opened over the weekend in North America-- F. Javier Gutierrez's RINGS; Peter Chelsom's THE SPACE BETWEEN US; Joel David Moore's YOUTH IN OREGON; and John Michael McDonagh's WAR ON EVERYONE.

From wiki (Chinese films are ruling the box office):

screen-shot-2017-02-06-at-7-09-06-am.png

#26 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Rolling Stone.com has listed its "50 Most Anticipated Movies of 2017." Two of them are based on Stephen King tales -- "The Dark Tower" and "It."

Gunslinger-Idris-620.jpg

Idris Elba stars as the the Gunslinger Roland Deschain in "The Dark Tower"

http://www.rollingst...-jul-28-w458412

• mr6666 likes this

#27 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

My spouse and I both enjoyed The Founder, and I was actually surprised when it was over, because the movie had gone by so fast. Who knew a film about McDonald's would be this interesting? Of course Michael Keaton has no problem diving into the character of wheeler dealer Ray Kroc. His perfect foil is Nick Offerman as Dick McDonald, deadpan, a solid rock of a man with strong ideas about integrity. John Carroll Lynch as Mac McDonald, Dick's brother, a taller but more accommodating man, is also outstanding. Linda Cardinelli as Joan Smith, eventually to be Joan Kroc, is quite lovely and looks good in the period costumes. At the end of the film Kroc offers what are now, I believe, called "alternative facts" about the founding of McDonald's.  The film is very much about two different visions of America as reflected in two different approaches to business.

For car buffs, this film is a must, with many fine 1950s vehicles on display.

If the subject interests you, you'll probably like the movie.

• LawrenceA likes this

#28 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

These new films were released in North America this week-- Maggie Greenwald's SOPHIE AND THE RISING SUN (opened on Wednesday); Lasse Halstrom's A DOG'S PURPOSE; Paul Anderson's RESIDENT EVIL: THE FINAL CHAPTER; Evan Oppenheimer's LOST IN FLORENCE; Justin Kelly's I AM MICHAEL; and Adam Randall's iBOY (on Netflix).

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-01-28-at-1-09-55-pm.png

#29 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Here's a look at some noteworthy movies from the 2017 Sundance Film Festival, including David Lowery's "A Ghost Story," which stars Best Actor favorite Casey Affleck ("Manchester by the Sea") and Rooney Mara.

http://www.esquire.c...-sundance-2017/

• TopBilled likes this

#30 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,683 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

It's official: 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' will be called 'The Last Jedi'

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/23/the-last-jedi-star-wars-episode-viii-has-a-title/ 

C23hSsFUoAA4twW.jpg

I wonder if that'll cause a huge collective sigh of relief?

I once toyed with a "mock" movie title----

"Coming this summer.  Geroge Burns reprises his role as the Almighty with Albert Brooks and the delightful Goldie Hawn in the hilarious romp, "Oh, GOD!  Not AGAIN!?!"

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#31 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

It's official: 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' will be called 'The Last Jedi'

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/23/the-last-jedi-star-wars-episode-viii-has-a-title/ 

C23hSsFUoAA4twW.jpg

#32 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,683 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:07 AM

What? No Meryl Streep movie forward to which I may be looking?

:D

Sorry Yoda.  Not so far yet is one.

The only movie I'm interested in that just came around is THE FOUNDER. The story(supposedly) of the rise of the MacDONALD'S empire.  It's a fascinating story if you ever read anything over the years about the company.  But, IMHO....

After seeing the profile of Col. HARLAN SANDERS some years back when A&E still had their BIOGRAPHY program,  it looked to me to be a pretty fascinating story for a "biopic" .  How he started and how FAR he went with it is pretty fantastic.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#33 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

What? No Meryl Streep movie forward to which I may be looking?

#34 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Looks like scrapping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel to me; the usual action sequels and recycled mediocre tv shows, but I'm not part of the desired audience.

Agreed. More special effects, fantasy, comic book stuff, etc.

Saw the trailer for Dunkirk. Might be worth a look because I like history, but doubt if audiences will flock to see it.

• spence likes this

I'm a big boy.

#35 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Seven new films opened this weekend in North America-- M. Night Shyamalan's SPLIT; D.J. Caruso's XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE; Dallas Jenkins' THE RESURRECTION OF GAVIN STONE; Adam Smith's TRESPASS AGAINST US; Woody Harrelson's LOST IN LONDON; Christopher Smith's DETOUR; and Michael de Wit's THE RED TURTLE.

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-01-22-at-12-24-50-pm.pn

#36 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Rolling Stone has an online preview titled "25 Movies We Can't Wait to See at Sundance 2017." The annual film festival, held in Park City, Utah as a showcase for independent films and rising filmmakers, kicks off on Thursday.

Among the anticipated films is the teaming of two erstwhile Avengers -- Jeremy Renner (who plays Hawkeye) and Elizabeth Olsen (a.k.a. The Scarlet Witch). In "Wind River,"  the actors play law enforcement authorities investigating a murder at a Native American reservation. The film marks the directorial debut of the award-winning screenwriter Taylor Sheridan ("Sicario," "Hell or High Water").

jeremy-renner-and-elizabeth-olsen-plot-c

Renner in "Wind River"

http://www.rollingst.../wilson-w458338

• LawrenceA likes this

#37 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Six new films were released in North America this weekend-- Stacy Title's THE BYE BYE MAN; Baran Odar's SLEEPLESS; Chris Wedge's MONSTER TRUCKS; Jim O'Hanlon's 100 STREETS; and Bill Purple's THE BOOK OF LOVE; and Alistair Legrand's CLINICAL (on Netflix).

From wiki:

screen-shot-2017-01-15-at-9-43-33-am.png

#38 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

Here's a look at "The 15 Most Anticipated Movies of 2017" from esquire.com:

The-Snowman.jpg

Michael Fassbender tracks a Norwegian serial killer in "The Snowman"

http://www.esquire.c...movies-of-2017/

• mr6666 and LawrenceA like this

#39 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

‘Monster Trucks’ Lost Paramount $115 Million—And The Film Isn’t Even Out-

"Monster Trucks, the live-action/cg-hybrid debut of Ice Age director Chris Wedge, doesn’t open in theaters until next week, but Paramount has already written off the movie as one big disaster. A $115 million disaster to be exact, which to put into perspective, is almost 80% of the budget that the United States government spends annually on ALL artists in this country of 325 million people...

http://www.cartoonbr...ven-147292.html

Gotta admit trailer DOES look pretty lame...

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#40 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

Baywatch and Chips - 2 more movies based on TV shows, both taking an ironic, comedic tone. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Zac Efron topline the former, while the less-dynamic Dax Shepard and Michael Pena star in the latter.

Speaking of unwanted returns, Underworld: Blood Wars and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter add more installments to their respective franchises. Kate Beckinsale and Milla Jovovich must be getting tired of these.

Anna Foerster's UNDERWORLD: BLOOD WARS is the very first official release of 2017. It opens in North America on Friday January 6th.  

Also slated for release during the first week of 2017-- Steven C. Miller's ARSENAL and Emily Hagins' COIN HEIST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users