We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Films of 2017

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#21 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

Somehow women still make up less than a third of speaking characters in top U.S. movies: http://slate.me/2fhGTD3 

DGi7LNPW0AAN99W.jpg

#22 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

& to add to the above 2017 upcoming releases I already posted on here, I thought it only polite to post these on (Jakeem's running post & not a new one)

EW-(Entertainment Weekly) just released a lot of upcoming & they say *Oscar contenders for the fall of 2017 & most are>

Best Picture:

"Call Me By Your Name" (Sundance biggie)

"Breathe" (Andrew ("Hacksaw Ridge") Garfield stars & the amazingly talented Andy Serkis makes his directorial debut)

"Lady Bird" (Saoirse Ronan already a contender for "Brooklyn")

"Mudbound" (Sundance) & stars Carey Mulligan. This one already has huge buzz

"Downsizing" (D-Alexander Payne who has already taken home 2 *Oscars for his writing)

"The Papers" (Spielberg is back!)

Best Actor according to EW:

Steve Carell in "Battle of the Sexes" as Bobby Riggs

Jake Gyllenhaal in "Stronger" as a Boston Bombing victim

Benedict Cumbermatch in & as Albert Einstein in "The Current War"-(NOTE: Imagine if he's up for leading actor vs. 0ldman & Brian Cox for the 2 Churchill bio's)

Christian Bale in "Hostiles"

Bryan Cranston in "Last Flag Flying"

Matt Damon in "Downsizing"

& Actress:

Annette Bening in "Film Stars Don't Die"-(would mark her 5th try)

Emma Stone in "Battle of the Sexes" as Billie Jean King

Glenn Close in "The Wife"-(she already has 6 nods. to date)

Judi Dench in "Victoria & Abdul"-(you know how they love costume/period pieces)

Jennifer Lawrence in "Mother"

Quite a number are left out of course, but that's that for now

JAKEEM, please send your thoughts :D  :) 

#23 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

To Lawrence & others on the topic of "DUNKIRK" You know where Time & others are putting out & poublishing those tremendous collectors edition magazine's in most stores

Well, they now have 1 of "DUNKIRK" :D

Although the movie is still well-made I've scanned through the book & it's better

#24 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

Maybe they should have worn helmets with their names on them.

DGBIAlOWAAEzwjF.jpg

That is pt of the problem

#25 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

I do recognize the guy pictured on the left. He's Harry Styles of the British music group One Direction. I suppose Christopher Nolan realized it didn't hurt "The Longest Day" to cast teen idols Fabian, Paul Anka and Tommy Sands as American soldiers. 

thelongestdaypic07.jpg

Fabian

"LONGEST DAY": IS A TREMENDOUS EPIC ON EVERY LEVEL!   But up against *"Lawrence..." & "To Kill  a Mockingbird" it only won for it's special effects that year

#26 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

Maybe its because I terminated (perhaps temporarily) my subscription plan to Netflix's DVD plan, maybe its because I have watched a lot of classic films this year, but I've only seen three 2017 films, and two of them were very mixed bags.

Beauty and the Beast was a film I was bound to have mixed feelings on. I love the 1991 animated film dearly, so every change was going to jangle in my mind. The scenes in the castle flowed rather well, the vocal performances were on point, it was a gorgeous looking film, the 3 new songs were wonderful, and Kevin Kline was good in a small role, but the film took over 30 minutes to find its footing, certain scenes meant to replicate the earlier film lacked the neccesary spark, and Luke Evans and Josh Gad were screechingly bad as the villains. Very mixed opinions here.

The Sense of an Ending ultimately felt too convoluted for its own good twisting the present and thr past together, but Jim Broadbent was good in the lead, and there was a good cameo performance from Charlotte Rampling.

Gifted was a cut above the other two. Its not perfect (it becomes too solemn toward the end, and the ending itself seemed abrupt) , but this crowd pleaser pleased me. Chris Evans, out of superhero armor for once, was quite good as a man raising his young niece alone following his sister's suicide, the girl although tough at first grew on me a lot, Octavia Spenser and Jenny Slate were charming in smaller roles, and Lindsay Duncan was magnificent as the film's villainess so to speak, imbuing the possibly one-note character into a nuanced, three-dimensional figure that you couldn't help but understand from time to time. The script was funny, tender, and moving.
  • LawrenceA likes this

#27 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:28 PM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only viewer who couldn't tell them apart. Really poor work by the casting department, unless this is the "type" that Christopher Nolan likes.

I do recognize the guy pictured on the left. He's Harry Styles of the British music group One Direction. I suppose Christopher Nolan realized it didn't hurt "The Longest Day" to cast teen idols Fabian, Paul Anka and Tommy Sands as American soldiers. 

thelongestdaypic07.jpg

Fabian

#28 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

DGBIAlOWAAEzwjF.jpg

I'm glad to know I'm not the only viewer who couldn't tell them apart. Really poor work by the casting department, unless this is the "type" that Christopher Nolan likes.

#29 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

DGBIAlOWAAEzwjF.jpg

• kingrat likes this

#30 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

More

Box Office: #Dunkirk beats out #TheEmojiMovie, #AtomicBlonde to repeat No. 1 http://bit.ly/2viUNeH 

DF_aPtvXcAEreZi.jpg

#31 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:55 AM

Certain you already know of these & they are likely 2018 productions  *Streisand is remaking "Gypsy"

& Lady Gaga is in "A Star is Born" rehash

& as you've already written about *Tarentino takes on Tate/Manson murders

I can see that one already & the controversy coming

& doesn't Bette Midler have a big project?

#32 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

To Lawrence & others on the topic of "DUNKIRK" You know where Time & others are putting out & poublishing those tremendous collectors edition magazine's in most stores

Well, they now have 1 of "DUNKIRK" :D 

#33 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:45 AM

JAKEEM., is this from you or Mr. Sam Adams in regard to going to the WW2 epic in all 3 formats?   I hope & plan to check it out on Tuesday. AS IT STANDS NOW, THOUSE AS MOST ARE AWARE IT'S PREMATRE. IT IS THEE CLEAR FRONT RUNNER FOR "THE BIGGIE" BEST FILM, BEST DIRECTOR-(Nolan)-(Tinsel-Town has long wanted to award him )

Also to Sam, how good or great is it?   Last rely strong WW2 film-(they don't make many those anymore) was *Mel's "Hacksaw Ridge" ($65m.) (***1/2) & Hollywood forgave him in nominating *Mel the 2nd time for BD Gold.

But many actually complained about it's gory & violence?

However, *Mel was still "robbed" & ignored by his peers for the massive $B.O.$ smash from 04 "Passion of the Christ" ($374m.)

& a powerful pic. he helmed after 2007's "Apocalypto" ($17m.) (***1/2)

Either received not 1 nomination???

& though expertely exceutred-(no pun intended)   "Passion" is also my pick as the most violent ever yet produced

Runners-up: "300" (2007) ($218m.) & "Kill Bill, volume 1" (04) ($67m.)

(P.S. HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN "APOCALYPTO?" NOBODY SEEMS TO HAVE)

#34 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:42 AM

Christopher Reeve VS. George Reeves???

#35 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

I just saw Dunkirk last night with my husband.  A very powerful film, which apparently was made using "film" rather than digital medium, which I guess is becoming rare in this age of CGI.   We saw it in IMAX and would call it an "immersive" experience (no pun intended) in the sensations of being at siege on a coast.   My husband had a friend who saw it twice; I don't know if I'd watch it again, as I left felling shell-shocked and uplifted at the same time.  Mark Rylance is excellent as one of the civilian rescuers.

The other two films we've seen this summer are Beatriz at Dinner and The Hero.    Beatriz is a thought-provoking movie and the ending made me very uncomfortable;  I think I 'd like to see it again to understand it better.  Selma Hayak should get an Oscar nomination.  The Hero offers a fine performance by the underrated Sam Elliott as a fading cowboy actor; I was alternately touched and amused throughout.  I wasn't crazy about the character of the girlfriend, though,  or the actress who played her.

To Rosebette, thanks for review,etc   & your about 85% correct in Hayek snagging her 2nd Best Actress shot.  & extra thanks for doing what nobody has done so far in citing 2015 *Oscar victor ("Bridge of Spies") *Mark Rylance here.

As Jakeem & others & I do, we just enjoy conducting a very early running *Oscar tally chart & td:

"Dunkirk"

"Beguiled"

"Murder on 0rient Express"

"Churchill"  (Brian Cox)

"0ur Darkest Hour" (Gary 0ldman al;so as Churchill)

"Get 0ut"

"Battle of the Sexes"

Who knows about *Woodman's "Wonder Wheel?"

"Mudbound"

"John Gotti'-(Travolta)

"United Kingdom'

"Lovers" (Winger)

& MORE

• spence likes this

#36 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

I don't know about you-(Jakeem) & many others, but I am soo "BURNT" on comics on "The Silver-Screen" However I did want to go & see "Wonder Woman"

My personal favorite of 'em all to date is still the now seemingly primitive to many viewers "Batman" from 1989 by Tim Burton.

& I don't care what anybody says Michael Keaton is my vote as a #1    As is "Marvelous Michelle Pfeiffer" as  Catwoman-(flipside 04's mess with *Halle Berry, though not her fault)

& though not as much but dazzling moviemaking 08's "DK" again by Christopher ("Dunkirk" ) Nolan

But this viewer still likes "The Joker" by *JACK over *Ledger's

Almost 4-got 1978's dazzlingly fun "Superman" with a tragic-figure & a man I've ranked a true Hero for disabled persons in Christopher Reeve-(l952-2005)

& of course I still love TV's just for fun "Batman" (l966-68)  Most know Adam West just went at 88.    I literally somewhat grew up with that show & was just a wee lad when it was 1st on.  Mostly caught it in reruns in early '70's.  & like TV's "The Twilight Zone" (l959-64) had some of the greatest actors alive on it.

HOW MANY "SUPERMAN" EPICS HAVE THERE BEEN JOW, NOT ICLUDING THE EARLIEST SERIALS

This newest guy to play "Superman" in my humble opinion is as dull as dishwater    You know who never got much attention on the acting front & Ebert & Siskel used to rave about him as Lex Luther, of course it's *GENE HACKMAN

#37 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

The Best Part of Justice League Will Be Trying to Spot Superman's Mustache

http://www.esquire.c...rc=socialflowTW

landscape-1500919848-es-072417-henry-cav

I don't know about you-(Jakeem) & many others, but I am soo "BURNT" on comics on "The Silver-Screen" However I did want to go & see "Wonder Woman"

My personal favorite of 'em all to date is still the now seemingly primitive to many viewers "Batman" from 1989 by Tim Burton.

& I don't care what anybody says Michael Keaton is my vote as a #1    As is "Marvelous Michelle Pfeiffer" as  Catwoman-(flipside 04's mess with *Halle Berry, though not her fault)

& though not as much but dazzling moviemaking 08's "DK" again by Christopher ("Dunkirk" ) Nolan

But this viewer still likes "The Joker" by *JACK over *Ledger's

Almost 4-got 1978's dazzlingly fun "Superman" with a tragic-figure & a man I've ranked a true Hero for disabled persons in Christopher Reeve-(l952-2005)

& of course I still love TV's just for fun "Batman" (l966-68)  Most know Adam West just went at 88.    I literally somewhat grew up with that show & was just a wee lad when it was 1st on.  Mostly caught it in reruns in early '70's.  & like TV's "The Twilight Zone" (l959-64) had some of the greatest actors alive on it.

HOW MANY "SUPERMAN" EPICS HAVE THERE BEEN JOW, NOT ICLUDING THE EARLIEST SERIALS

#38 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

Does it really matter what format you see Dunkirk in? I watched it in three different ones to find out.

http://www.slate.com...ing_format.html

dunkirk-movie-review-759.png

JAKEEM., is this from you or Mr. Sam Adams in regard to going to the WW2 epic in all 3 formats?   I hope & plan to check it out on Tuesday. AS IT STANDS NOW, THOUSE AS MOST ARE AWARE IT'S PREMATRE. IT IS THEE CLEAR FRONT RUNNER FOR "THE BIGGIE" BEST FILM, BEST DIRECTOR-(Nolan)-(Tinsel-Town has long wanted to award him )

#39 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

Exclusive: Woody Allen's 'Wonder Wheel' to close New York Film Festival http://thr.cm/vu10om 

DFmYrdEU0AEJEfh.jpg

JAKEEM, just another reason why your "THE MAN BUDDY!"

• spence likes this

#40 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

To Mr.666, do you also go to ew releases upon intitial release as I do?  PLEASE LET ME KNOW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users