We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Character actors SOTM April 2017

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

I always wanted TCM to feature only supporting \ character actors as part of Summer under the Stars;  one day each for these actors.  Movies wouldn't have been the same without the talents of these workhorses.

And fortunately, there have been days devoted to people like Charles Coburn, Thelma Ritter, Hattie McDaniel and Mary Boland.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

You are correct in stating that TCM often broadcasts films that feature Thomas Mitchell, which indicates how large a body of work he amassed. Perhaps it is true that he is not a "STAR" in the same sense as Clark Gable or Spencer Tract, et al, and yes, many actors have never been honored with SOTM, however some who are known as "Character" actors have, i.e. Walter Brennan. So if you feel that SOTM is too much time to devote to work horses like Mitchell, then perhaps an evening of programming.

I always wanted TCM to feature only supporting \ character actors as part of Summer under the Stars;  one day each for these actors.  Movies wouldn't have been the same without the talents of these workhorses.

#3 Osfan

Osfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

I find it disappointing that the GREAT Thomas Mitchell is given such short-shrift by being passed over again and again for the singular spot of SOTM! Although I could make the argument that several of these "character" actors who are included in this month's salute are so much more than... well, Character Actors, there is no question that Thomas Mitchell is a bona fide STAR!!! In the year 1939 ( the year many film scholars consider Hollywood's greatest) he appeared in five  major films, three of which were nominated for Best Picture. In that same year he won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Doc Boone in John Ford's iconic film, "Stagecoach". Mitchell is among a very small group (roughly less than a dozen) of actors who have won the triple crown of acting- Oscar, Tony, and Emmy. He worked in every medium and across all genres. His roles were major, and although supporting other actors he often stole the scenes in which he appeared. He handled the comedic and the dramatic with equal aplomb. Yes, he played "characters", but like Walter Brennan he never became a cliche or stereotype. His performances were very nuanced, his film work prolific. Let's give him his due- I nominate Thomas Mitchell for STAR of the Month!!!!! 

You are correct in stating that TCM often broadcasts films that feature Thomas Mitchell, which indicates how large a body of work he amassed. Perhaps it is true that he is not a "STAR" in the same sense as Clark Gable or Spencer Tract, et al, and yes, many actors have never been honored with SOTM, however some who are known as "Character" actors have, i.e. Walter Brennan. So if you feel that SOTM is too much time to devote to work horses like Mitchell, then perhaps an evening of programming.

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

I find it disappointing that the GREAT Thomas Mitchell is given such short-shrift by being passed over again and again for the singular spot of SOTM! Although I could make the argument that several of these "character" actors who are included in this month's salute are so much more than... well, Character Actors, there is no question that Thomas Mitchell is a bona fide STAR!!! In the year 1939 ( the year many film scholars consider Hollywood's greatest) he appeared in five  major films, three of which were nominated for Best Picture. In that same year he won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Doc Boone in John Ford's iconic film, "Stagecoach". Mitchell is among a very small group (roughly less than a dozen) of actors who have won the triple crown of acting- Oscar, Tony, and Emmy. He worked in every medium and across all genres. His roles were major, and although supporting other actors he often stole the scenes in which he appeared. He handled the comedic and the dramatic with equal aplomb. Yes, he played "characters", but like Walter Brennan he never became a cliche or stereotype. His performances were very nuanced, his film work prolific. Let's give him his due- I nominate Thomas Mitchell for STAR of the Month!!!!! 

I consider Mitchell's film legacy to be the best of any supporting actor (with Brennan a close second),  but they are supporting actor and not 'stars'.    I.e. there is NO question he is NOT a 'star'. 

Anyhow,  TCM shows films with Mitchell all the time so he is getting his due.    Showing films he is in is more important than a SOTM tribute.

In addition there are many lead actors and actress that have never been SOTM.    

• TopBilled likes this

#5 Osfan

Osfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

I was really happy that TCM decided to honor character actors as this month's SOTM. I must say that I am disappointed in the movies that they have chosen as representative of the actors' work. In just about every instance, I can think a of film that gives the actors more screen time and a better script than the films that have been chosen. It's like the person who programmed this went out their way to pick what I consider to be the "wrong" movies. You want to see these actors in movies where they SHINE. I say this as someone who is not an expert but who has been watching TCM for a number of years. I know all these character actors and I know the movies that made me love them. And I do love them. Hope TCM will do this again next year with a better line-up of movies.

Good comment. I agree. The films that feature the spotlighted performers at their best are the ones to show. Otherwise, what's the point?

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#7 DebraDancer

DebraDancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

I was really happy that TCM decided to honor character actors as this month's SOTM. I must say that I am disappointed in the movies that they have chosen as representative of the actors' work. In just about every instance, I can think a of film that gives the actors more screen time and a better script than the films that have been chosen. It's like the person who programmed this went out their way to pick what I consider to be the "wrong" movies. You want to see these actors in movies where they SHINE. I say this as someone who is not an expert but who has been watching TCM for a number of years. I know all these character actors and I know the movies that made me love them. And I do love them. Hope TCM will do this again next year with a better line-up of movies.

• TopBilled and ChristineHoard like this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

I like just about all of these folks. The Ameche choice seems odd as I see him as a star. I am a big fan of his.

So many of them are favorites and I enjoy Edgar Buchanan, Roland Young, Jack Carson, Arden and Ritter.

I really love Joseph Calleia, Charles Ruggles, Aline McMahon, Ned Sparks, Allen Jenkins. Also, would Paul Douglas be considered a character actor? I think he was great!   

Paul Douglas is someone I'd consider a character actor though he had leads and second leads in quality films. 

#9 yogiboo

yogiboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2017-01-13%2Bat%2B12.25.

I'm guessing on a few of these, but it looks like they'll be honoring:

Tuesday April 4

Guy Kibbee / Edward Everett Horton / Walter Connolly / Adolphe Menjou

Thursday April 6

May Robson / Zasu Pitts/ W.C. Fields / Helen Broderick / Edgar Buchanan

Tuesday April 11

Charles Coburn / Eugene Pallette / Jack Benny / Fay Bainter / Jack Carson

Thursday April 13

Charles Winninger / Roland Young / Nigel Bruce (?) / Alexander Knox / Don Ameche (?)

Tuesday April 18

Alan Hale Sr. / Frank Morgan / Charles Bickford / Edward Arnold

Thursday April 20

Alice Pearce / Mary Wickes / Marjorie Main / Thelma Ritter / Paul Stewart

Tuesday April 25

Thomas Mitchell / Victor Moore / Walter Brennan / S.Z. Sakall / Jimmy Durante

Thursday April 27

Leslie Nielsen / Eve Arden / Patsy Kelly / Judy Holliday / Hugh Herbert

Screen%2Bshot%2B2017-01-13%2Bat%2B12.22.

I like just about all of these folks. The Ameche choice seems odd as I see him as a star. I am a big fan of his.

So many of them are favorites and I enjoy Edgar Buchanan, Roland Young, Jack Carson, Arden and Ritter.

I really love Joseph Calleia, Charles Ruggles, Aline McMahon, Ned Sparks, Allen Jenkins. Also, would Paul Douglas be considered a character actor? I think he was great!   

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#10 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

I like Edward Everett Horton when he was the narrator for the Fractured Fairy Tales segment from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. I am glad that he is part of the character actors for the star of the month in April.

#11 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

I remember Mary Wickes, who is on the list for star of the month, she became a well-known tv actor in the 1980s and 1990s. I remember she was in the recent movies such as Sister Act (1992) and Sister Act 2 (1993), Little Women (1994), and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996). She played a gargoyle in that film. 

#12 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

I like the star of the month for April on TCM. It finally gives the unseen character actors their time to shine, even if they are not leading star material. You will be able to get a kick out of them.

#13 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Robert's article was a really nice tribute to the great character actors. There are so many.  I'm very glad TCM is doing this and honoring them.  When I think of Jane Darwell, I remember her sensitive portrait in THE GRAPES OF WRATH and her cold, callous b**** in THE OXBOW INCIDENT - polar opposite.  Great actress.

• TopBilled likes this

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

This might be Robert Osborne's last column, on character actors (originally published in the April 2017 issue of Now Playing): http://www.tcm.com/t...s-in-April.html.

He shares, quite warmly, the story of how character actress Jane Darwell is largely responsible for giving Osborne his start in Hollywood.

I also loved this line from the column: "Many a film has limped along, enjoyable but less than awesome, until a door opens and in saunters Eve Arden--looking chic but somewhat bored, and soon saying something brittle, wise and very funny."

That's great. Thanks for providing the link. I see all the ones featured are listed. We guessed earlier in the thread, but wasn't sure if we had them all correctly identified. Of course, some of the films being shown have more than one character actor/actress.

#15 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

This might be Robert Osborne's last column, on character actors (originally published in the April 2017 issue of Now Playing): http://www.tcm.com/t...s-in-April.html.

He shares, quite warmly, the story of how character actress Jane Darwell is largely responsible for giving Osborne his start in Hollywood.

I also loved this line from the column: "Many a film has limped along, enjoyable but less than awesome, until a door opens and in saunters Eve Arden--looking chic but somewhat bored, and soon saying something brittle, wise and very funny."

• mr6666, TopBilled and ChristineHoard like this

#16 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

Thanks, TopBilled. This is great news. I'm so glad to learn they're featuring the great character actors on Tuesdays and Thursdays in April 2017.  The names you've provided certainly merit being honored.  In the ladies category, it's wonderful to see the names Alice Pearce, Mary Wickes, Marjorie Main, Zasu Pitts, and of course the indomitable Eve Arden.  No list could be complete without "The Lady Eve".  She's the female Walter Brennan.  I'm so glad that TCM listens and responds to suggestions from their viewers.  I'm thrilled and look forward to watching the movies TCM has chosen featuring these character actor greats.  Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Yes, character actors of this calibre were often so instrumental to a film's success.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#17 MarshaKatz

MarshaKatz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,380 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

Tuesday April 4

Thursday April 6

Tuesday April 11

Thursday April 13

Charles Winninger / Roland Young / Nigel Bruce (?) / Alexander Knox / Don Ameche (?)

Tuesday April 18

Thursday April 20

Tuesday April 25

Thursday April 27

Thanks, TopBilled. This is great news. I'm so glad to learn they're featuring the great character actors on Tuesdays and Thursdays in April 2017.  The names you've provided certainly merit being honored.  In the ladies category, it's wonderful to see the names Alice Pearce, Mary Wickes, Marjorie Main, Zasu Pitts, and of course the indomitable Eve Arden.  No list could be complete without "The Lady Eve".  She's the female Walter Brennan.  I'm so glad that TCM listens and responds to suggestions from their viewers.  I'm thrilled and look forward to watching the movies TCM has chosen featuring these character actor greats.  Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Tuesday April 4

Thursday April 6

Tuesday April 11

Thursday April 13

Tuesday April 18

Thursday April 20

Tuesday April 25

Thursday April 27

• lydecker, ChristineHoard and rayban like this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

I just found out the April 2017 schedule information is now available.

The Star of the Month is (drum roll)...Character Actors-- Tuesdays and Thursdays all month long.

I'm renaming the thread to reflect this.

#20 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

I have another suggestion for April: Jack Palance.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users