We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Character actors SOTM April 2017

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

How about Lee J. Cobb for April?

He's a good actor and would certainly work for a Summer Under the Stars day. Not sure if they consider him enough of a household name to get a month-long tribute. Another one, similar in style, is Charles Bickford. Of course, we all know Bickford replaced Cobb on TV's long-running western series The Virginian.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

How about Lee J. Cobb for April?

• TopBilled likes this

#23 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

FYC: Edna May Oliver for SOTM.

She would be a great one to include with other character actors and actresses. They could air all her Hildegarde Withers films in order during primetime. Fans would enjoy it.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#24 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

FYC: Edna May Oliver for SOTM.

• lydecker and TopBilled like this

#25 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

I believe the overall reason is what you have stated before;  That TCM is very star driven.   This is a very common marketing business model.     E.g. the NFL;   while each team has over 80 players only a handful are used for marketing purposes.  

Yes, we've discussed this before in other threads. TCM really pushes the "star" thing. But we have seen some exceptions-- like Charles Coburn, Mary Boland and Thelma Ritter getting Summer Under the Stars days. So I would imagine TCM does consider some character actors and actresses as having 'star quality.'

I would also think that a month honoring these people could be marketed in a way that viewers would appreciate.

#26 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,496 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

I like your idea. They deserve to be celebrated. I don't know why TCM continues to neglect honoring them--maybe because there are so many great ones, and how can you possibly narrow down the selections...?

I believe the overall reason is what you have stated before;  That TCM is very star driven.   This is a very common marketing business model.     E.g. the NFL;   while each team has over 80 players only a handful are used for marketing purposes.  

• TopBilled likes this

#27 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

April is the perfect month for a bunch of character actors to be honored as part of SOTM.

Call it April Fools - SOTM:  While these actors may not be 'stars' they were key to the industry and here are some of the films that wouldn't be the same without these actors.

I like your idea. They deserve to be celebrated. I don't know why TCM continues to neglect honoring them--maybe because there are so many great ones, and how can you possibly narrow down the selections...?

#28 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,496 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

I assume we will find out next week sometime who will be featured as Star of the Month on TCM in April. It's been a while since we've had a group SOTM. It would be nice to see a bunch of character actors and actresses honored for a change.

I wouldn't even mind seeing someone who was popular in the 80s, though I think a lot of people who frequent our message boards wouldn't care for it. If they ever did (correction: when they ever do) an 80s star, it would be fun to see them pick an actress like Sally Field, Sissy Spacek or Jessica Lange; or an actor like Michael Douglas, Nick Nolte or Robin Williams. Think of all the great films that could be shown! 

April is the perfect month for a bunch of character actors to be honored as part of SOTM.

Call it April Fools - SOTM:  While these actors may not be 'stars' they were key to the industry and here are some of the films that wouldn't be the same without these actors.

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#29 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

I assume we will find out next week sometime who will be featured as Star of the Month on TCM in April. It's been a while since we've had a group SOTM. It would be nice to see a bunch of character actors and actresses honored for a change.

I wouldn't even mind seeing someone who was popular in the 80s, though I think a lot of people who frequent our message boards wouldn't care for it. If they ever did (correction: when they ever do) an 80s star, it would be fun to see them pick an actress like Sally Field, Sissy Spacek or Jessica Lange; or an actor like Michael Douglas, Nick Nolte or Robin Williams. Think of all the great films that could be shown! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users