We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

GOP madness Unbound...

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#1 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

I have the DVD set of Brett Maverick.  It's a nice little series and I occasionally re-watch episodes.  Much better than his Nichols series.

I saw a few episodes of Nichols last year. It was my first exposure to the series and I thought it had a certain quirky charm. No Maverick or Rockford, of course, but definitely worth a look.

I just downloaded the entire Brett Maverick series off a web site (looks like they were off the DVDs, very impressive images), and will be taking a look at some of them soon. Still sorry that brother Bart didn't have the chance to be a regular part of the series.

One sidebar comment: I once read a comment by the producer of Maverick (who later became involved in Rockford, too). Sorry, I forget his name. Anyway, he said that on the Maverick set Jack Kelly was hilarious, with a great sense of humour (at least by the producer's taste), far more so than Garner.

Curious, since Garner was the one with a deft comedy touch on screen.

• TheCid likes this

#2 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Since this thread has been temporarily Mavericked, I'd like to add a note that just came as news to me.

James Garner briefly revived his old role in a 1981 series followup, Brett Maverick, which played on NBC only to be surprisingly cancelled by the network after one season. I never watched the show, though it's my understanding it was a decent program.

What came as a surprise to me, though, was that plans had been in the works for Jack Kelly to return as brother Bart in Season Two (apparently he appeared in the final episode of Season One), and become a series regular. Kelly has read several Mavericks scripts and was ready to return only for both he and Garner to have the rug pulled out from underneath them by the network.

What a shame. It might have been a nostalgic pleasure for fans to have seen the Maverick brothers back up to their old tricks together again almost 20 years after the first series had ended.

By the way, Kelly had briefly appeared in at least one (possibly two) of The Rockford Files episodes, that series having folded with plenty of law suit acrimony the year before Brett Maverick came on.

I have the DVD set of Brett Maverick.  It's a nice little series and I occasionally re-watch episodes.  Much better than his Nichols series.

#3 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

2a0175b92475803a512976cd40790684.jpg

Since this thread has been temporarily Mavericked, I'd like to add a note that just came as news to me.

James Garner briefly revived his old role in a 1981 series followup, Brett Maverick, which played on NBC only to be surprisingly cancelled by the network after one season. I never watched the show, though it's my understanding it was a decent program.

What came as a surprise to me, though, was that plans had been in the works for Jack Kelly to return as brother Bart in Season Two (apparently he appeared in the final episode of Season One), and become a series regular. Kelly had read several Mavericks scripts and was ready to return only for both he and Garner to have the rug pulled out from underneath them by the network.

What a shame. It might have been a nostalgic pleasure for fans to have seen the Maverick brothers back up to their old tricks together again almost 20 years after the first series had ended.

By the way, Kelly had briefly appeared in at least one (possibly two) of The Rockford Files episodes, that series having folded with plenty of law suit acrimony the year before Brett Maverick came on.

#4 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

Yeh, Garner was left leaning and, from what I've gathered, a down to earth, common sense kind of guy. I'm sure he would have been horrified by what occupies the Oval Office today.

James Bumgarner was born in Norman Oklahoma and came from a partial Native American heritage. As a registered Democrat, he never forgot how he was a self-made man, so he always had respect for other ordinary Americans who were not born with inheritances and trust funds.
  • TomJH, Dargo, ChristineHoard and 1 other like this

#5 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

Yep! I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have minded at all, "Brother" Tom! ;)

(...and btw, and speaking of Garner and Kelly there...while I know the latter delved into politics for a while, as a city councilman and then mayor of Huntington Beach CA, I don't now what his political leanings might have been overall, however, and as you know, Garner was quite the left leaner and stanch Democrat, and so not only would I guess he especially would have approved of our fractured lyrics to his old TV western's theme song, but if he were still alive today, I'm SURE he would have found the idea that this country could have ever elected such a moron as Donny Boy a thought as inconceivably ludicrous as there ever was)

Yeh, Garner was left leaning and, from what I've gathered, a down to earth, common sense kind of guy. I'm sure he would have been horrified by what occupies the Oval Office today.

• ChristineHoard likes this

#6 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks, Dargo. I'd like to think the Maverick brothers wouldn't mind our changing their song's lyrics too much. All in a good cause. After all, there's nothing they recognized better than a fellow con artist themselves.

Yep! I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have minded at all, "Brother" Tom! ;)

(...and btw, and speaking of Garner and Kelly there...while I know the latter delved into politics for a while, as a city councilman and then mayor of Huntington Beach CA, I don't now what his political leanings might have been overall, however, and as you know, Garner was quite the left leaner and stanch Democrat, and so not only would I guess he especially would have approved of our fractured lyrics to his old TV western's theme song, but if he were still alive today, I'm SURE he would have found the idea that this country could have ever elected such a moron as Donny Boy a thought as inconceivably ludicrous as there ever was)

• TomJH likes this

#7 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Wow Tom! Not ONLY the second verse, but also the chorus TOO, eh?!

Good job there, ol' buddy!

(...and don't worry about those final lines in your chorus not rhyming, as even with THAT minor little quibble, you've STILL shown a HELL of lot more competence in your work here than that freakin' angry crybaby, borderline psychotic, English language-challenged, world's biggest egomaniac of a man-child-in-chief has shown in the ten months he's been at HIS job!)

;)

Thanks, Dargo. I'd like to think the Maverick brothers wouldn't mind our changing their song's lyrics too much. All in a good cause. After all, there's nothing they recognized better than a fellow con artist themselves.

• mr6666, Dargo and Princess of Tap like this

#8 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Wow Tom! Not ONLY the second verse, but also the chorus TOO, eh?!

Good job there, ol' buddy!

(...and don't worry about those final lines in your chorus not rhyming, as even with THAT minor little quibble, you've STILL shown a HELL of lot more competence in your work here than that freakin' angry crybaby, borderline psychotic, English language-challenged, world's biggest egomaniac of a man-child-in-chief has shown in the ten months he's been at HIS job!)

;)

• TomJH likes this

#9 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

I like 'em. 

face-08.jpg?w=679&h=382

Donald-Trump_3372655b.jpg

"Me? Angry? What makes you say that, you ****!?!"

"But then there's a lot of angry **** out there. That's why I am where I am!"

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#10 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Hmmmm....this gives me an idea here.

Maestro, if you please...

Who is the orange-haired madman there?

Donny Boy is his name.

Big con artist, so beware.

The clueless buy his BS,

While the knowledgeable know his game.

(...you're now free to write the second verse here if ya want, Tom...or hell, ANYBODY here for THAT matter, I suppose)

Crude as a bigot with a gun,

Donny Boy is the name.

Twittering his bull until the dawn,

Pleasing one Steve Bannon,

"Others" there to blame.

Followers under his spell,

Never con do they smell,

Distraction's the game he loves the best.

Feed his base by any means,

From the old to the teens,

Donny Boy is a legend of the brain dead.

DONNY BOY IS A LEGEND OF THE BRAIN DEAD!!

(Okay, so the last line doesn't rhyme. But it suuuure does have a ring of truth to it).

• mr6666, Dargo and Princess of Tap like this

#11 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:29 AM

Thinking of all those Trump supporters:

3780a9d31b099e10d82a0d6e5a67319e--tv-wes

"As my dear old Pappy used to say, "Son, man's the only animal you can skin more than once."

Hmmmm....this gives me an idea here.

Maestro, if you please...

Who is the orange-haired madman there?

Donny Boy is his name.

Big con artist, so beware.

The clueless buy his BS,

While the knowledgeable know his game.

(...you're now free to write the second verse here if ya want, Tom...or hell, ANYBODY here for THAT matter, I suppose)

• mr6666, TomJH, film lover 293 and 1 other like this

#12 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

Aaah, and now this reminds me of something my dearly departed father used to tell me when I was kid: "Always remember son, when people are mad and out of sorts, they very often will make some very ill-advised decisions while in that frame of mind."

(...good ol' Pop...one of the most level-headed and fair-minded men I think I've ever known)

Thinking of all those Trump supporters:

3780a9d31b099e10d82a0d6e5a67319e--tv-wes

"As my dear old Pappy used to say, "Son, man's the only animal you can skin more than once."

• cigarjoe, film lover 293 and Princess of Tap like this

#13 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

Trump is mad - in all definitions of the word.

• cigarjoe and film lover 293 like this

#14 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

OOPS...sorry, double post.

But HEY, maybe what Pop told me back then was worth repeating.

(...and even though his wise message would never in a million years seep into the brains of those "angry" Trump supporter around here)

Edited by Dargo, 12 October 2017 - 10:38 PM.

#15 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

Needs to be repaganized--gods, as in the original. :)

Yeah, Euripides

#16 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

Boy, is THAT ever true, Tom! Yep, just ask some of the big Trump supporters around here about that.

Yep, THEY'LL tell ya that they were SO mad(in the American sense of the word, and as in "angry") that even THOUGH they really knew that the SOB pictured above wasn't actually QUALIFIED in any manner at all to BE the President, that FACT didn't matter to them to any degree enough for them sit down and calmly examine the choice they had in the last election.

Aaah, and now this reminds me of something my dearly departed father used to tell me when I was kid: "Always remember son, when people are mad and out of sorts, they very often will make some very ill-advised decisions while in that frame of mind."

(...good ol' Pop...one of the most level-headed and fair-minded men I think I've ever known)

• cigarjoe, mr6666, TomJH and 1 other like this

#17 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

Needs to be repaganized--gods, as in the original. :)

• cigarjoe likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#18 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

I take it God meant that in the British manner of the word, eh CJ?! As in "crazy", right?!

'Cause that man-child-in-chief we Americans are stuck with at the moment with his constant lashing out at people who he thinks have somehow done him wrong, sure as hell has ALREADY come across as being one inconsolably angry SOB since day one of his presidency.

• mr6666 and Dargo like this

#19 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

a heart, some spine & (hopefully) a BRAIN !

;)

Sorry, Obama can't run again.

#20 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

"Those whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad."

I take it God meant that in the British manner of the word, eh CJ?! As in "crazy", right?!

'Cause that man-child-in-chief we Americans are stuck with at the moment with his constant lashing out at people who he thinks have somehow done him wrong, sure as hell has ALREADY come across as being one inconsolably angry SOB since day one of his presidency.

(...just questioning if I was reading this quote correctly here, that's all) 

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users