We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

GOP madness Unbound...

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:11 AM

“If you had a contact with Russia, tell the special counsel about it! Don’t wait until the New York Times figures it out!….Someone needs to get everyone in a room and say, from the time you saw ‘Dr. Zhivago’ until the moment you drank vodka with a guy named Boris, you list every single contact with Russia.”

-Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC)

(...Republicans in Congress aren’t worried that the Russia scandal is going to hurt them with their base back home. Most Republicans don’t believe that the Russia scandal is real. What Republicans are terrified of is returning to their districts and having no accomplishments to run on in 2018...)

http://www.politicus...ia-scandal.html

• Arturo and film lover 293 like this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#22 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

Poll: Most Republicans say colleges have negative impact on US-

"..........I.n contrast, a large majority of Democrats, 72 percent, say colleges and universities have a positive effect on the country.

Overall, slightly more than half of the public, 55 percent, thinks colleges and universities help the U.S., according to the survey.

The poll also finds partisan divides regarding the national news media and labor unions...

http://thehill.com/h...ve-impact-on-us

-well, DUH!

:lol:

This probably isn't that new.  For the most part, middle class and working class people have always wanted their children to go to college.  However, they may not have agreed with what they learned there (other than occupational related).

#23 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,374 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:30 PM

"Well, DUH!", exactly Mr.Sixes.

I mean it sure don't take anyone with more than the average I.Q. of 100  AND someone with no more than a high school diploma to figure out that them there dern colleges and universities today are teachin' the youngins of this country stuff that goes against good ol' small town 'Merican values and good ol' common sense, huh!

(...not ta mention that their'all PRIME objective should just be teachin' them youngins how to make a good livin' once they grad-u-ate!)

LOL

;)

It is a lot easier to control an ignorant population which is also why a majority of conservatives are anti-media.   They appear to like only source material they can thump.   ;)

• mr6666 likes this

#24 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

"..........I.n contrast, a large majority of Democrats, 72 percent, say colleges and universities have a positive effect on the country.

Overall, slightly more than half of the public, 55 percent, thinks colleges and universities help the U.S., according to the survey.

The poll also finds partisan divides regarding the national news media and labor unions...

-well, DUH!

"Well, DUH!", exactly Mr.Sixes.

I mean it sure don't take anyone with more than the average I.Q. of 100  AND someone with no more than a high school diploma to figure out that them there dern colleges and universities today are teachin' the youngins of this country stuff that goes against good ol' small town 'Merican values and good ol' common sense, huh!

(...not ta mention that their'all PRIME objective should just be teachin' them youngins how to make a good livin' once they grad-u-ate!)

LOL

;)

• mr6666 and Princess of Tap like this

#25 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

-well, DUH!

#26 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

Trump Treasury Ripped Its Tax Cut Recommendations Straight From The Chamber Of Commerce-

"....The Chamber of Commerce fronts as an organization pushing the broader interests of American business. But in reality, it is a gun for hire, advocating on behalf of individual companies who make largely secret contributions to the organization. It’s unlikely any of the Chamber’s recommendations wound up on that list free of charge....

....not the kinds of tax changes from which the average Trump voter would benefit.

Rescinding these regulations would make it easier for cities to issue tax-exempt municipal bonds; open a loophole allowing tax-free transfers of property, including intellectual property, to foreign corporations (a favorite way to dodge U.S. taxes); allow partnerships to move around debt instruments; give foreign exchange traders a better chance to take losses from currency sales; let large estates discount assets to lower their estate and gift tax burden; and stop the IRS from retaining outside experts to participate in audits. This last move would be a major boon to taxpayers, such as corporations, who file inordinately complex tax returns....

https://theintercept...er-of-commerce/

• TheCid likes this

#27 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

The InterceptVerified account @theintercept 4h4 hours ago

Just as the GOP bill to slash much of the ACA moved forward, some lawmakers started trading health care stocks.

https://theintercept...-moves-forward/

#28 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:20 PM

The NRA has always been prone to exaggeration vis a vis guns laws,

but this is really over the top. Wonder why. They've been very

successful for the last twenty years. so they should be sitting back

and celebrating that. Maybe they're trying to ratchet things up to

attract new members and money, because they've pretty much won the

"gun control" war. 

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#29 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

What do you think of this ad for the NRA? Too far even for them? New level of hysteria?

"The video drew widespread criticism after NRATV reposted it on its Facebook page on June 28. In a June 29 article, Vox’s Zack Beauchamp called the video “chilling” and said it “comes this close to calling for a civil war against liberals.” The same day, ThinkProgress’ Aaron Rupar wrote a piece saying the video “stops just short of calling for violence against … progressives.”

During the noon edition of NRATV’s program Stinchfield, which provides live updates at the top of the hour from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. EST, Loesch, who is also an NRATV commentator, doubled down on the spot, calling it a “fantastic ad” that “holds up a mirror to the violent aspects of the left.” Loesch denied that she was inciting violence in the ad, saying that she meant “meeting that violence with simple truth and simple peaceful ideas”:

https://www.mediamat...movement/217107

:blink:

• LawrenceA likes this

#30 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

House Republican writes letter to constituent's employer complaining about her progressive activism-

Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen’s note culminated in a woman resigning from her job.

" Democrats have chosen to targets districts like ours because we sit in prime media markets and their protesters are highly organized.”-Frelinghuysen

-But at the bottom, in blue pen, Frelinghuysen wrote by hand: “P.S. One of the ringleaders works in your bank!”....

".....I thought my Congressman put them in a situation, and put me in a really bad situation as the constituent, and used his name, used his position and used his stationery to try to punish me.”...

............“Frelinghuysen has gone from simply refusing to meet with his constituents and telling them to ‘back off,’ to threatening constituents who are exercising their freedom of speech. That Frelinghuysen would use his powerful public office to hurt a private citizen is wrong, unethical and immoral.”........

https://thinkprogres...ge-c7de8d42cb79

The shameless McCarthyite, or is it Stalinist, forces are now unleashed against our democracy, starting with this president

#31 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

What do you think of this ad for the NRA? Too far even for them? New level of hysteria?

Sad.  Part of the mantra here is to blame Hollywood for being too liberal.  We have heard that about every other day from one Trump supporter on thess boards.  I guess it never occurs to them that Hollywood sells to the world and not just the racist gun toting far right deplorables in Trump country.  I would say that most of the world does not embrace the values of the American far right.  That is a niche market thankfully.

#32 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,455 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

#33 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,640 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

House Republican writes letter to constituent's employer complaining about her progressive activism-   Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen’s note culminated in a woman resigning from her job.

" Democrats have chosen to targets districts like ours because we sit in prime media markets and their protesters are highly organized.”-Frelinghuysen

-But at the bottom, in blue pen, Frelinghuysen wrote by hand: “P.S. One of the ringleaders works in your bank!”....

".....I thought my Congressman put them in a situation, and put me in a really bad situation as the constituent, and used his name, used his position and used his stationery to try to punish me.”...

............“Frelinghuysen has gone from simply refusing to meet with his constituents and telling them to ‘back off,’ to threatening constituents who are exercising their freedom of speech. That Frelinghuysen would use his powerful public office to hurt a private citizen is wrong, unethical and immoral.”........

Par for the course............

• Arturo likes this

#34 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

House Republican writes letter to constituent's employer complaining about her progressive activism-   Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen’s note culminated in a woman resigning from her job.

To think that he would be dumb enough to do it on paper and sign it is even worse.

• mr6666, Arturo and Sepiatone like this

#35 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

• Arturo, TheCid and LawrenceA like this

#36 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

From The New York Times Opinion Section:

"Almost an entire party appears to have decided that potential treason in the cause of tax cuts for the wealthy is no vice."

:blink:

• Swithin, Arturo, TheCid and 3 others like this

#37 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Why Republicans Want to Declaw the Nation’s Consumer Financial Watchdog Agency-

"The CHOICE Act would do more than reduce financial regulations enacted under the Obama administration. It also targets the CFPB, the regulatory agency created by Dodd-Frank to police the financial marketplace.

Among other things, the bill would:

• Strip away the agency's authority to regulate large banks and payday lenders
  • Remove its power to prosecute companies that engage in unfair, deceptive or abusive acts or practices
  • Eliminate independent funding from the Federal Reserve Bank and give Congress the power to set the CFPB's budget
  • Allow Congress to kill any major financial rules proposed by the agency; both houses would have to give their approval within 60 days
  • Stop public access to the CFPB's database of more than 1.1 million consumer complaints..............

"The bill neuters the CFPB and would leave consumers more vulnerable to financial scams, hidden fees and costly gotchas that can undermine their financial security,".......

http://www.nbcnews.c...-agency-n756486

• Arturo, TheCid and LawrenceA like this

#38 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Trump supporters may see what a charlatan Trump is (or they will real soon) but I don't think they care.  They like his macho bluster.

• Arturo and TheCid like this

#39 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

It could also expose the hollowness of Trump’s campaign promises. Trump ran on slamming Wall Street for “getting away with murder”....

https://www.vox.com/...et-deregulation

I succinctly recall Jake touting this as a great feature of Trump's campaign.  Why is it so impossible for them to see what a charlatan Trump is?

• mr6666, Arturo and TheCid like this

#40 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Next up on the House Republican agenda: a massive Wall Street deregulation bill-

What does Republicans’ Dodd-Frank repeal bill do?

Spearheaded by House Finance Chair Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX), the Choice Act begins by throwing out much of the banking oversight passed under President Obama’s administration, mostly through the Dodd-Frank act signed in 2010. But it goes further than that, rolling back oversight in a way that could dramatically exacerbate the likelihood of another financial crisis, according to experts in financial regulation.

“It’s a little hard to get your mind around everything this bill does, because there’s almost no area of financial regulation it doesn’t touch,” says Marcus Stanley, policy director for Americans for Financial Reform. “There’s a bunch of very radical stuff in this bill, and it goes way beyond repealing Dodd-Frank.”

It could also expose the hollowness of Trump’s campaign promises. Trump ran on slamming Wall Street for “getting away with murder”....

https://www.vox.com/...et-deregulation

• Arturo, TheCid, Bogie56 and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users