We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Psycho"

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Please don't hate me because of my looks!

5582983.0c566076.560.jpg

• TopBilled, jaragon and rayban like this

#22 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

John Gavin was so beautiful - so beautiful - who cared if he could act or not?

• rayban likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#23 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

John Gavin was so beautiful - so beautiful - who cared if he could act or not?

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#24 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,985 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

I thought he was a little better in "Back Street".

• rayban likes this

#25 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

He was OK in other movies like Imitation Of Life, if a little stiff there too. He was better as a model than an actor. Obviously he had the looks.

• rayban likes this

#26 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

The cast was great except for John Gavin. He was way too poker faced when he learned officially of Marion's death despite all of the hotel wooing that took place before she disappeared. I mean... SHE was the one who had to lick the stamps for his alimony checks! She should at least be mourned. (I am OK with Vera Miles' Lila being a bit poker faced, but she worked hard getting answers and vengeance already. John's Sam just tagged along.) Also he seemed entrenched in 1950s sensibilities. "Why did he... dress... like that?" What? Didn't he watch Bugs Bunny cartoons? Nothing wrong with a little drag, as long as you don't carry a knife with you stabbing people.

John McIntire as the local sheriff was great simply because of his voice. I love all of the Old Time Radio stuff he did, like Suspense on CBS.

Gavin was a cold fish and Hitchcock needed Janet Leigh's help in order to make their romantic scenes work.

• Jlewis and rayban like this

#27 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

The cast was great except for John Gavin. He was way too poker faced when he learned officially of Marion's death despite all of the hotel wooing that took place before she disappeared. I mean... SHE was the one who had to lick the stamps for his alimony checks! She should at least be mourned. (I am OK with Vera Miles' Lila being a bit poker faced, but she worked hard getting answers and vengeance already. John's Sam just tagged along.) Also he seemed entrenched in 1950s sensibilities. "Why did he... dress... like that?" What? Didn't he watch Bugs Bunny cartoons? Nothing wrong with a little drag, as long as you don't carry a knife with you stabbing people.

John McIntire as the local sheriff was great simply because of his voice. I love all of the Old Time Radio stuff he did, like Suspense on CBS.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#28 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

No, I disagree, you really needed to know what was going on.

The psychiatric revelations were fascinating ones.

And the end shot of "Norma Bates" - talking, talking, talking - is a stunning finish.

Hitchcock thought he needed this to explain the plot- but the final fade out with Mother and the fly is unforgetable

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#29 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:35 PM

The clinical description of Bates' condition by Simon Oakland at the end of the film is not a great ending. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the film.

No, I disagree, you really needed to know what was going on.

The psychiatric revelations were fascinating ones.

And the end shot of "Norma Bates" - talking, talking, talking - is a stunning finish.

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#30 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" must be the greatest horror film of all time.

It is just so disturbing - and so scary.

The casting of Tony Perkins as a maniacal killer was a stroke of genius.

You hear so much about the coming-together of this movie and all of the "stories" are very interesting ones, too.

The most bizarre, if true, is that Hitchcock wasn't at all sure about the film and even thought about cutting it up into segments for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

The clinical description of Bates' condition by Simon Oakland at the end of the film is not a great ending. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the film.

• rayban likes this

#31 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,985 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

I thought everyone was so well cast in this, esecially Anthony Perkins.  And if you've read the original novel, the description of the Norman Bates character is nothing like Perkins.  Originally, he was middle aged and quite heavy.

• rayban likes this

#32 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" must be the greatest horror film of all time.

It is just so disturbing - and so scary.

The casting of Tony Perkins as a maniacal killer was a stroke of genius.

You hear so much about the coming-together of this movie and all of the "stories" are very interesting ones, too.

The most bizarre, if true, is that Hitchcock wasn't at all sure about the film and even thought about cutting it up into segments for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users