We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Cory Booker - Another Democrat Fake Looking to Run for President

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

You want a female-- a black female, a Jewish female, a Hispanic female, or an Asian American female?-- I don't want to guess but I'm just guessing you meant a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant female, an example might be Hillary Clinton.

Me, I think I would be voting right now, if I had a choice, for a male Jewish president. Do you think it's about time for that or do you think Jews are trying to move too fast in this country but wanting to be in the Oval Office.

Considering that Joe Lieberman almost became VP 17 years ago, no.

#22 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

You want a female-- a black female, a Jewish female, a Hispanic female, or an Asian American female?-- I don't want to guess but I'm just guessing you meant a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant female, an example might be Hillary Clinton.

Me, I think I would be voting right now, if I had a choice, for a male Jewish president. Do you think it's about time for that or do you think Jews are trying to move too fast in this country but wanting to be in the Oval Office.

#23 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

No-- I'm a realist, just like Martin Luther King was. You got to have an ideal before it becomes real.

I remember the last interview he had with Mike Wallace on CBS in 1968. Mike was telling him that black people were trying to move too fast-- don't they have enough --why don't they just wait-- even people in The New York Times think they're going too fast.

Martin Luther King told CBS' Mike Wallace that until black people had the same kind of freedom and equality as white people in the United States, then we are not moving fast enough. l have to keep on working for it.

And that's what made Martin Luther King a realist, so I'm not afraid to agree with him.

I think we should have a female President before we have another Black Male President.

#24 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

I understand that, but we can't move TOO fast. I am a realist. You are an idealist.

No-- I'm a realist, just like Martin Luther King was. You got to have an ideal before it becomes real.

I remember the last interview he had with Mike Wallace on CBS in 1968. Mike was telling him that black people were trying to move too fast-- don't they have enough --why don't they just wait-- even people in The New York Times think they're going too fast.

Martin Luther King told CBS' Mike Wallace that until black people had the same kind of freedom and equality as white people in the United States, then we are not moving fast enough. l have to keep on working for it.

And that's what made Martin Luther King a realist, so I'm not afraid to agree with him.

#25 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Just think of all the people in the United States who are not white men and how they have to be comfortable with all those white male presidents-- is at 43 in a row?

Fairness and equality means just that --fairness and equality.

No race or sex is superior to any other.

I understand that, but we can't move TOO fast. I am a realist. You are an idealist.

• NipkowDisc likes this

#26 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

I just thought of a few other things - - President Kennedy is the only Roman Catholic President we've ever had.

Also we have never had a Jewish president and we've never had a female president.

We have all kinds of people in United States and they have all kinds of gifts to offer.

#27 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

You don't necessarily have to be a racist to be uncomfortable with two Democratic Black Presidents in a row. Saying that you are completely comfortable with it is political correctness. Even I am not 100% comfortable with it.

Just think of all the people in the United States who are not white men and how they have to be comfortable with all those white male presidents-- is at 43 in a row?

Fairness and equality means just that --fairness and equality.

No race or sex is superior to any other.

And this has nothing to do with political correctness-- it has more to do with American democracy.

#28 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

When you give in to placating what a racist voter would do or what a racist person would do-- so you give in to fear and do nothing-- that enables racism.

You don't necessarily have to be a racist to be uncomfortable with two Democratic Black Presidents in a row. Saying that you are completely comfortable with it is political correctness. Even I am not 100% comfortable with it.

#29 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

I don't get the analogy.

if cory booker ever runs for potus, the newarkians of jersey may have some thoughts on inadequate police and fire services and how booker was a real pinwheel with the public safety in that city.

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#30 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

I don't get the analogy.

When you give in to placating what a racist voter would do or what a racist person would do-- so you give in to fear and do nothing-- that enables racism.

#31 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

I don't quite understand your statement. We've had a lot of white presidents in a row. What difference does the race of a president make anyway?

thank you, princess. I said what my problem with booker is.

#32 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

That's exactly what they said, or I should say Bobby Kennedy said to President Kennedy when he was running for president and he made a phone call to Martin Luther King's wife.

Martin Luther King was in jail for leading a non-violent protest. And Mrs. King was pregnant with their last child - - the one that she would hold during his funeral.

Jack Kennedy made the phone call anyway because it was the right thing to do.

I don't get the analogy.

#33 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

It doesn't to ME, but I'm saying it's pushing the envelope with respect to many other voters.

That's exactly what they said, or I should say Bobby Kennedy said to President Kennedy when he was running for president and he made a phone call to Martin Luther King's wife.

Martin Luther King was in jail for leading a non-violent protest. And Mrs. King was pregnant with their last child - - the one that she would hold during his funeral.

Jack Kennedy made the phone call anyway because it was the right thing to do.

#34 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

I'm glad that we're progressive enough to have elected a Black President, but to have another one almost right on his heels is pushing the envelope a bit.

has nothing to do with that. I just doan like schtootzes who imperil their own city's citizenry which is the last thing any mayor should to.

a terrific way to start a mayorship.

#35 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

I don't quite understand your statement. We've had a lot of white presidents in a row. What difference does the race of a president make anyway?

It doesn't to ME, but I'm saying it's pushing the envelope with respect to many other voters.

#36 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

I'm glad that we're progressive enough to have elected a Black President, but to have another one almost right on his heels is pushing the envelope a bit.

• Swithin likes this

#37 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

I knew booker was a blanking phony years ago when he was the mayor of newark.

first thing I hear reported on the TV news after becoming newark mayor is he's going to be making severe budget cuts to police and fire services in that city.

police and fire services only determine if some people are gonna live or die, that's all.

so that told me right off that booker was a soulless blanker blanker.  

and he quickly graduated to a u.s. senator, ain't that nice?

you got this schtootz pegged right, darkblue.

#38 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

I knew booker was a blanking phony years ago when he was the mayor of newark.

first thing I hear reported on the TV news after becoming newark mayor is he's going to be making severe budget cuts to police and fire services in that city.

police and fire services only determine if some people are gonna live or die, that's all.

so that told me right off that booker was a soulless blanker blanker.  

and he quickly graduated to a u.s. senator, ain't that nice?

you got this schtootz pegged right, darkblue.

#39 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:36 AM

• NipkowDisc likes this

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users