We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

New unique book on film noir

film noir book hollywood cinematography filmmaking studio system murder my sweet this gun for hire maltese falcon double indemnity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,926 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up David. 

I feel like someone needs to start writing a book on the connection between film noir and TV police procedurals. I don't know why people fail to see how shows like Peter GunnThe Fugitive and Kojak draw much inspiration from gangster films and noir.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 dlandau

dlandau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Hello fellow film noir fans,

Like all of you I love film noir - grew up watching it and even wrote several plays inspired by it (all published and widely produced). I also taught a college course in it.  So, I’m the author of a new book with a totally different look at film noir, “Film Noir production: the Whodunit of the Classic American Mystery Film” from Routledge. Focal Press. 

I know – another book on Film Noir, really? 

Well, yes. Because as a member of the Mystery Writer’s of America, an award winning screenwriter/playwright and a working professional in the film/TV industry in lighting and cinematography, I felt I needed to write a book enlightening readers about all the wonderful and interesting people who worked in the shadows behind creating what would become known as “film noir”, who are so often glanced by other books.  I talk about the Hollywood studio chiefs and the original mystery novels the films were based on,  the staff screenwriters and the film factory producers, the contract actors and studio cinematographers, the art directors, costume designers and music composers – what they all did and how they all together with the directors created one of the most popular forms of mystery films .  So I wrote about the noir themes, character types, dialog style, imagery, cast and public reception of these classic films and how the films were made from the perspective of someone who works in the film industry and is a published mystery writer. It’s a fun, conversational read rather than an academic thesis. I’m trying to get the word out about it. I wish they had allowed me to put in more pictures, but - oh well.  I did lots of research including at the Academy of Motion picture Arts & Sciences document room and on this wonderful TCM website. Its available on Amazon and on the publisher's page.

So here’s a link to my book   https://www.routledg...k/9781138201484

and on Amazon -   https://www.amazon.c...noir production

Hope you give it a look and hopefully enjoy it. Happy new year all.

David Landau

• cigarjoe, jamesjazzguitar and TopBilled like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: film noir, book, hollywood, cinematography, filmmaking, studio system, murder my sweet, this gun for hire, maltese falcon, double indemnity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users