We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bette and Joan

• Please log in to reply
771 replies to this topic

#1 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,188 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

giphy.gif

LOL!!!

#2 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

Don't forget St. Loretta was known to sit on her sofa.

giphy.gif

• Arturo likes this

#3 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,188 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

On the upcoming Emmy Awards I bet Jessica Lange wins over Sarandon though.  Susan though is absolutely incredible looking at 71 & insists she's had no surgery done either

Maybe I missed a couple episodes, but Catherine Zeta-Jones bit as Olivia De Havilland seemed to only consist of a couple of sequences?

Let me know if she was in it more please

I also lay-odds that Judy Davis is nommed for her Hedda Hopper-(s. actress) & Alfred Molina as Robert Aldrich-(s. actor)

Sarandon had her eyes done years ago...........No Bette Davis bags.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#4 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,188 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Wrapped in plastic covering.......

#5 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:27 AM

This is very easy to find on (youtube) Larry King interviewing Crawford's daughter Christina, for those interested. Think it was from 2001

#6 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:26 AM

On the upcoming Emmy Awards I bet Jessica Lange wins over Sarandon though.  Susan though is absolutely incredible looking at 71 & insists she's had no surgery done either

Maybe I missed a couple episodes, but Catherine Zeta-Jones bit as Olivia De Havilland seemed to only consist of a couple of sequences?

Let me know if she was in it more please

I also lay-odds that Judy Davis is nommed for her Hedda Hopper-(s. actress) & Alfred Molina as Robert Aldrich-(s. actor)

#7 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

OKAY, now THAT would be a GREAT drag name!
JOAN ST. JOAN: OUR LADY OF THE WIRE HANGERS

#8 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,188 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:56 AM

LOL.

#9 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

I caught the final episode of Feud over the wknd and I guess I'm in the minority,  it was ok, but trying too hard like most of the series. Seemed like they were trying to make Joan, St. Joan.

#10 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,188 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

I caught the final episode of Feud over the wknd and I guess I'm in the minority,  it was ok, but trying too hard like most of the series. Seemed like they were trying to make Joan, St. Joan. B.D. gets a pass, but Christina doesnt (or is even portrayed, probably afraid of a lawsuit). I guess my main complaint with the series is they try to make it seem like this Feud was a big part of their lives. I dont agree. When they were working together, yes, there was rivalry. But when they werent (which is most of their careers, I doubt Bette gave Joan much thought at all)   To paraphrase Bette in Feud, I worked with Joan in Baby Jane. Our lives intersected. That's it! An entertaining series, but as far as accuracy, you're better off reading a biography of the 2 stars.

#11 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,954 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

Recently I had a chance to watch Bette Davis on This Is Your Life. I know I saw it in 1972, but at the time I didn't know so much of the history and the backstory of all the players. And of course, so much has happened in the meantime.

Miraculously the show started with Bette in a conference meeting with Robert Wagner and Edith Head, concerning a new movie she was going to make called Madame Sin.

Bette was pissedoff that Ralph Edwards was interrupting and she showed a great deal of irritation.

When they got her to the studio she was still pissedoff, but she changed on a dime when she saw William Wyler, the director who delivered her Jezebel Oscar.

The guests were just unbelievable--after her favorite director, she was treated to her best movie friend Olivia de Havilland, her sister, her stand-in, her famous impersonator, her first film editor, the wonderful Victor Buono--who was more entertaining impromptu than even in the movies-- and finally Paul Henreid, who of course lit two cigarettes for her, while they both made disparaging remarks about the director of Now Voyager.

What really impressed me was that these people looked and seemed just like any ordinary business professionals, who had gathered for a reunion. There was nothing particularly glamorous or unusual about them--that just made you realize how seriously they took their profession and how hard they must have worked at it.

And then you could see how Bette really enjoyed it. But I think it was beautiful to see how Bette really warmed up after she saw William Wyler.LOL

I watched This Is Your Life, thanks to your mention, Princess. It was amazing!  I loved the way Olivia ran out to hug Bette; and the way Paul lit the cigarette; and the way Victor Buono was afraid to sit on the edge of that sofa thing, for fear he'd catapult Bette up into the air. And of course Wyler. Great show -- a bygone age of informal television. 

(For those of you who haven't seen it, it's on YouTube).

• LornaHansonForbes and Princess of Tap like this

#12 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

I was not referring to the 12 inch LP vinyl version of "What I Did For Love"....

#13 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

.....I went through several vinyl Applause cast albums....

A sign of true love if ever there was.

#14 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

Applause was a bit before my time, but I did see Bacall on Broadway in Woman Of the Year. However, I very much remember seeing the CBS broadcast
of Applause in 1973. For some reason it's never been available for home release and I have been waiting for years. I went through several vinyl Applause cast albums....

#15 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,954 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

Christine--

Swith and I play the movie trivia games on this website. I can honestly tell you he's one of our best players. If Swith tells you something about movie history you would be well to take his word for it. Plus he has been going to Broadway shows for decades, so he's a bit of an authority on that too.

I don't know much about Broadway, but I studied film at Kansas University and I can tell you that Applause with Helen Morgan has nothing to do with Eve-- we were graded on because it was an early talkie musical by the great Rouben Mamoulian.

It's a drama about a burlesque performer who actually gives birth backstage.

I happened to be in New York right around the time Applause was on the stage with Lauren Bacall. It was about the same time that the great Katharine Hepburn was on stage with Coco. I couldn't get a ticket to either, but I did get to see some of Bacall's performance of the show on the Tony Awards. You can rest assured that it is a musical stage version of All About Eve.

Thanks for your confidence, Princess (you are wrong in one thing: you do know ALOT about Broadway). Just a caveat for Christine: don't always take my word for it! (Except maybe in my political views, in which I am always right)!

I did see Applause the musical -- my friends and I had standing room, as I recall. Also I've been in the theater/arts business for many years, so I need to know stuff for professional reasons.

Btw, Coco (which I did not see) was not as big a success as Applause. It was nominated for several Tonys, but Applause won; and Bacall beat Kate. Coco did win for Best Featured Actor (Rene Auberjonois) and Best Costumes (Cecil Beaton).

This year's Tony Award nominations will be announced next week. I'm hoping Oslo is nominated and wins for Best Play. And I'm hoping the musical Groundhog Day, which I saw at the Old Vic last summer, is not nominated or at any rate does not win. What a bore! 

• Princess of Tap likes this

#16 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,954 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate it.

My pleasure. Here is an excerpt from Applause, as performed on the 1970 Tony Awards: Lauren Bacall and the cast perform "Welcome to the Theatre" and "Applause."

Bacall won the Best Actress in a Musical Tony Award that year, for playing Margo Channing.  The show won for Best Musical. 

#17 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

Regarding Applause, it was indeed the musical version of All About Eve. Lauren Bacall played Margo Channing. I don't believe there's any copyright of titles; and the 1970 Broadway theater-going public would not have heard of Mamoulian's film anyhow, all those years later (although it was one of the early talkies to shoot on location in Manhattan).

https://www.ibdb.com...n/applause-3519

Regarding my feelings of All About Eve, I like it well enough; I'm just not a big fan. Too much talk, maybe. Perhaps that's why I'm looking forward to the stage version. As many film writers have said, perhaps Joseph Mankiewicz was too good a writer to be a good director.

In Bette's film career are many mansions: many different kinds of wonderful films. I love so many of them. 

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate it.

#18 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

Are you sure APPLAUSE is a musical stage version of ALL ABOUT EVE? Helen Morgan was in the early talkie (1929) APPLAUSE. I thought Lauren Bacall was in the stage version of Morgan's APPLAUSE.

How can you love Bette Davis and not love ALL ABOUT EVE? I think it's one of her best and I'm a big fan,too.

Christine--

Swith and I play the movie trivia games on this website. I can honestly tell you he's one of our best players. If Swith tells you something about movie history you would be well to take his word for it. Plus he has been going to Broadway shows for decades, so he's a bit of an authority on that too.

I don't know much about Broadway, but I studied film at Kansas University and I can tell you that Applause with Helen Morgan has nothing to do with Eve-- we were graded on because it was an early talkie musical by the great Rouben Mamoulian.

It's a drama about a burlesque performer who actually gives birth backstage.

I happened to be in New York right around the time Applause was on the stage with Lauren Bacall. It was about the same time that the great Katharine Hepburn was on stage with Coco. I couldn't get a ticket to either, but I did get to see some of Bacall's performance of the show on the Tony Awards. You can rest assured that it is a musical stage version of All About Eve.

As for Bette Davis, she has always been my favorite actress, but I prefer the late 30s--1940sBette to anything that she did later. I think Now, Voyager is simply her tour de force. But if you catch me on another day I might say Dark Victory or In This Our Life.

I think Eve is simply wonderful, but I prefer Bette in her heyday.

Except, I have a very weak spot for What Ever Happened to Baby Jane because it's the only time I ever got to see a Bette Davis movie first run in a Kansas movie theater. And I guess I have Jack Warner to thank for that. LOL

#19 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,954 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

Are you sure APPLAUSE is a musical stage version of ALL ABOUT EVE?  Helen Morgan was in the early talkie (1929) APPLAUSE.  I thought Lauren Bacall was in the stage version of Morgan's APPLAUSE.

How can you love Bette Davis and not love ALL ABOUT EVE?  I think it's one of her best and I'm a big fan,too.

Regarding Applause, it was indeed the musical version of All About Eve. Lauren Bacall played Margo Channing. I don't believe there's any copyright of titles; and the 1970 Broadway theater-going public would not have heard of Mamoulian's film anyhow, all those years later (although it was one of the early talkies to shoot on location in Manhattan).

https://www.ibdb.com...n/applause-3519

Regarding my feelings of All About Eve, I like it well enough; I'm just not a big fan. Too much talk, maybe. Perhaps that's why I'm looking forward to the stage version. As many film writers have said, perhaps Joseph Mankiewicz was too good a writer to be a good director.

In Bette's film career are many mansions: many different kinds of wonderful films. I love so many of them. 

#20 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Despite my stated love for Bette Davis and her movies, I'm not particularly fond of All About EveI did see Lauren Bacall in the musical/stage version many years ago (Applause, 1970), which I enjoyed.

I've just read that the great Dutch director Ivo van Hove will be adapting/directing a stage production of All About Eve in London, starring Cate Blanchett. I do hope to see that.

http://www.bbc.com/n...t-arts-39745417

Are you sure APPLAUSE is a musical stage version of ALL ABOUT EVE?  Helen Morgan was in the early talkie (1929) APPLAUSE.  I thought Lauren Bacall was in the stage version of Morgan's APPLAUSE.

How can you love Bette Davis and not love ALL ABOUT EVE?  I think it's one of her best and I'm a big fan,too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users