We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bette and Joan

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#261 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:38 AM

I think I saw the complete live interview with Faye Dunaway last night. I was exceedingly disappointed that they did not discuss Mommie Dearest. If they did, I missed it. I thought it was one of the best performances of Faye Dunaway's career. It was a real hommage to a very complicated and complex great movie star.

Unless the grandson, that you mentioned, is speaking directly for or representing one of Joan Crawford's adopted children, I don't really think I care what he thinks. Three of Joan Crawford's adopted children are still alive and are quite capable of speaking for themselves.

Well, he seems to be speaking for himself. He says in the article that he is encouraging her mother to watch the series. She , I guess like most of the family, still have nightmares of Mommie Dearest. To him, she was just the grandmother they used to visit as children.

The clip of her walking across that river with the gun is worth a look to me ;)

#262 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

What is Buzzr, and where can I find it. The closest thing I see on Directv is Buzz. But that seems to be an infomercial channel.

My online cable channel lineup guide refers to it as Foxbuzzr, but my onscreen cable guide calls it WWORDT3. My cable company is RCN.

Lots of Match Games on at the moment. Allen Ludden and Betty White (and Robert Pine).

• GGGGerald likes this

#263 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Arturo, the Buzzr network, and like MeTV, is one of those over-the-air broadcast "sub-channels".

I, here in Sedona, receive it via my Suddenlink cable service, but if this channel isn't available on either your cable or satellite service(whichever you may have), I noticed you there in my old stompin' grounds of L.A. can get it over the air via one of KCOP's sub-channels...13.2

Thanks Dargo. Will have to look for it.
  • Dargo likes this

#264 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

What is Buzzr, and where can I find it. The closest thing I see on Directv is Buzz. But that seems to be an infomercial channel.

Arturo, the Buzzr network, and like MeTV, is one of those over-the-air broadcast "sub-channels".

I, here in Sedona, receive it via my Suddenlink cable service, but if this channel isn't available on either your cable or satellite service(whichever you may have), I noticed you there in my old stompin' grounds of L.A. can get it over the air via one of KCOP's sub-channels...13.2

(...btw, for a while I too was again watching "What's My Line" along with "To Tell The Truth" on Buzzr, however I stopped because it seemed Buzzr was showing only a very limited number of episodes of those shows and in the case of WML from only its beginning date of 1950 to about the time just before Fred Allen suddenly died, and then repeated those over and over)

• Arturo and GGGGerald like this

#265 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

When Game Show Network aired "What's My Line" years ago, it was always at 11pm or later. "Black and White Overnight" they called it. Then had to stop because they couldn't get sponsors. When Buzzr picked it up lately, they did the same thing.

But, Buzzr finally did the smart thing and did market research to find out what their fans wanted to see. Come to find out, the old black and white game shows are what  people were interested it in. And they didn't watch before because they were on too late at night. Now, they are prime time viewing. 

It seems that even in 2017, people are still interested in a bit of class in their entertainment.

#266 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,393 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

I was surprised that the Olivia de Havilland character was given the line where she called her sister Joan Fontaine a **** in the phone call scene with Bette Davis since de Havilland is still alive.
It was amusing hear her tell Bette about an awful script she had been offered and see her put it in the garbage.
(It was the script for LADY IN A CAGE.)

As I noted earlier Rip Torn was portrayed as "jittery."

Mamacita is played by the wonderful Jackie Hoffman, a veteran of Chicago theater.
She was a hoot in the Broadway production of XANADU, where played one of the evil sister Muses as well as Aphrodite (with an Ursula Andress-esque accent) during the CLASH OF THE TITANS inspired sequence on Mount Olympus.

Apparently there was a great deal of animosity between the Fontaine-de Havilland sisters.

Alfred Hitchcock--someone who ought to know-- said his dream was to hire one sister for a movie and then to secretly employ the other sister to unexpectedly walk on screen, just to see the looks on their faces. Sadistic LOL

#267 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,393 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

Interesting interview with a grandson of Joan Crawford. He overall likes the series although he was apprehensive after Mommie Dearest.

http://www.dailymail...-TV-s-Feud.html

There is even some home movie footage of Joan in the article.

I think I saw the complete live interview with Faye Dunaway last night. I was exceedingly disappointed that they did not discuss Mommie Dearest. If they did, I missed it. I thought it was one of the best performances of Faye Dunaway's career. It was a real hommage to a very complicated and complex great movie star.

Unless the grandson, that you mentioned, is speaking directly for or representing one of Joan Crawford's adopted children, I don't really think I care what he thinks. Three of Joan Crawford's adopted children are still alive and are quite capable of speaking for themselves.

#268 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

Interesting interview with a grandson of Joan Crawford. He overall likes the series although he was apprehensive after Mommie Dearest.

http://www.dailymail...-TV-s-Feud.html

There is even some home movie footage of Joan in the article.

#269 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

Just watched it, I was riveted -- great episode! The scenes with Hedda and Joan and the phone calls; the visit to Anne Bancroft; the Oscars. I don't know how much of it is true (apart from what we know is true, e.g. Joan accepting the award). 

I do know one thing, though. Rip Torn was made to seem too normal!

Of all the portrayals, I agree that Zeta-Jones is the weakest link, although one notes an occasional de Havilland-like gesture. But de Havilland is not easy to mimic. She was an excellent actress, but not a caricature-able type.

But that Mamacita, what a scene-stealer!

I was surprised that the Olivia de Havilland character was given the line where she called her sister Joan Fontaine a [bad, bad word that starts with a letter that rhymes with "wee"] in the phone call scene with Bette Davis since de Havilland is still alive.

It was amusing hear her tell Bette about an awful script she had been offered and see her put it in the garbage.

(It was the script for LADY IN A CAGE.)

As I noted earlier Rip Torn was portrayed as "jittery."

Mamacita is played by the wonderful Jackie Hoffman, a veteran of Chicago theater.

She was a hoot in the Broadway production of XANADU, where she played one of the evil sister Muses as well as Aphrodite (with an Ursula Andress-esque accent) during the CLASH OF THE TITANS inspired sequence on Mount Olympus. 

• Swithin, Arturo, Dargo and 1 other like this

#270 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

Rip Torn is still alive? I would have thought he would have been dead years ago.

Swith--What were all those issues he used to have with Norman Mailer? Was that just his typical personality or did they have some special reason for their animosity?

Unfortunately, I am on my phone so I cannot copy and paste or share a link, but I really do recommend a trip to Rip's Wikipedia page. They detail his contentious relationship with mailer.
  • Princess of Tap likes this

#271 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,393 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

Totally can believe that, I know several people who know him. He's not in good shape at the moment.

Rip Torn is still alive? I would have thought he would have been dead years ago.

Swith--What were all those issues he used to have with Norman Mailer? Was that just his typical personality or did they have some special reason for their animosity?

#272 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

does anyone else remember when he went on a bender from Hell and robbed a bank?

it wasn't that long ago....I think LARRY SANDERS was maybe still airing at the time...

(ps- i'm dead serious)

Totally can believe that, I know several people who know him. He's not in good shape at the moment.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#273 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

So, have its ratings been pretty good, Gerald? I haven't been following this aspect of it.

I saw Sarandon on the Colbert show last Friday night plugging it, anyway. And, Lang is supposed to be on his show sometime this week, also.

Ratings aren't what they used to be with people watching programs at different days/times these days. They use different metrics now. Its more about the buzz. How boards like this one respond. What impact its having. And apparently its having an impact. One service (I think it was iheart) had it as the tenth most watched show.  (I'm sorry I can't remember the details of how they come up with that).  

Just watched it, I was riveted -- great episode! The scenes with Hedda and Joan and the phone calls; the visit to Anne Bancroft; the Oscars. I don't know how much of it is true (apart from what we know is true, e.g. Joan accepting the award). 

Of all the portrayals, I agree that Zeta-Jones is the weakest link, although one notes an occasional de Havilland-like gesture. But de Havilland is not easy to mimic. She was an excellent actress, but not a caricature-able type.

I loved when Lange walked past Sarandon to accept Bancroft's Oscar. And Sarandon looked like someone just punched her in her stomach. That was good acting. 

I wonder how many people watching would know what a " de Havilland-like gesture" would consist of. This is an "entry level" program. Not for die hard experts of each and actor being portrayed.  Have to have some stars people can relate to so they have some reference point.

Yep, true Swithin.

And, maybe THE best actress of ALL of 'em in this thing at re-creating a person of earlier times.

(...I mean, she IS doin' a Lotte Lenya impression here, isn't she?!) ;)

Good call. I didn't think of that till I read this post. 1962 was her era also

• Dargo likes this

#274 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

Thing is, I haven't seen the last couple of episodes.

Just didn't hold my interest.

Oh, and check my earlier posts about MAMACITA. and how, for the character, it's more or less a misnomer.

Sepiatone

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#275 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

does anyone else remember when he went on a bender from Hell and robbed a bank?

it wasn't that long ago....I think LARRY SANDERS was maybe still airing at the time...

(ps- i'm dead serious)

• GGGGerald likes this

#276 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:11 AM

They need to grab her for the next production of The Threepenny Opera.

Uh-huh, or maybe in a remake of From Russia With Love.

(...and btw...we probably should mention the actress' name here...it's Jackie Hoffman)

• GGGGerald likes this

#277 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

They need to grab her for the next production of The Threepenny Opera.

#278 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:58 PM

Yep, true Swithin.

And, maybe THE best actress of ALL of 'em in this thing at re-creating a person of earlier times.

• GGGGerald likes this

#279 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:27 PM

#280 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Lange was on Colbert a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah rosebette. I just fast-forwarded through my cable guide here, and it looks as if Lang's appearance in Colbert's show this week is a rerun of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users