We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bette and Joan

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

#261 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Now, one of the funniest exchanges I ever witnessed while watching Password back in the day was while watching the following exchange on it.

The password was "fawn". The celeb(sure wish I could remember who it was) turned to his non-celebrity contestant partner--an attractive young lady whose location of birth and upbringing had already been established by her deep southern accent--and said "doe".

(...and the young lady contestant thought for a second and then replied, "knob")

• Arturo likes this

#262 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

LOL

I'm not sure but this story, ...., might be another of those urban legends, Swithin.

(...and btw...Bob Eubanks never used the phrase "have sex" on that old game show...he always used the words "make whoopie" instead)

no it's not, i've totally seen it. it happened.

• Swithin likes this

#263 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

Very amusing! Right up there with that famous line from "The Newlywed Game," when the question was something like, "Where was the weirdest place you had the urge to have sex?" And one woman answered, "Up the butt."

LOL

I'm not sure but this story, like the one about Johnny Carson once supposedly saying to Zsa Zsa on the old Tonight Show that he'd love to do what she asked if only she'd move that damn cat off her lap, might be another of those urban legends, Swithin.

(...and btw...Bob Eubanks never used the phrase "have sex" on that old game show...he always used the words "make whoopie" instead)

#264 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

13:25 in that clip below may also contain Jim Backus's greatest performance, by the way....

#265 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

YES, that scene is LEGENDARY!

(both husband and wife have POWER-MULLETS as I recall.)

#266 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,824 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

13:25, i believe...

Very amusing! Right up there with that famous line from "The Newlywed Game," when the question was something like, "Where was the weirdest place you had the urge to have sex?" And one woman answered, "Up the butt."

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#267 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

I love watching those clips on YouTube.

There's a hilarious clip from PASSWORD from the 1960s with Elizabeth Montgomery and Jim Backus as the celebrity guests with a password that I can't believe was approved during that time.

You can hear the host chuckle and see Elizabeth Montgomery take a closer look to confirm she's seeing it correctly! 

13:25, i believe...

• HoldenIsHere likes this

#268 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

Can we just say it? Don't you think Bette aged badly? I see her at my age and I think Wow, I don't look that aged....I guess it's the smoking...

TOTALLY THE SMOKING!

Even if she never inhaled, just physically having that smoke around you at what seemed to be ALL TIMES + the drinking + the stress of her life + the fact that she didn't really really care and just went along with the process.

#269 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Can we just say it? Don't you think Bette aged badly? I see her at my age and I think Wow, I don't look that aged....I guess it's the smoking...

#270 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

i am pretty sure every single extant episode of WHAT'S MY LINE? is on youtube, in case you're ever bored during the day, it's pretty fun to watch some of the BIG NAMES that did it....and the fun they had in doing it too.

I love watching those clips on YouTube.

There's a hilarious clip from PASSWORD from the 1960s with Elizabeth Montgomery and Jim Backus as the celebrity guests with a password that I can't believe was approved during that time.

You can hear the host chuckle and see Elizabeth Montgomery take a closer look to confirm she's seeing it correctly! 

#271 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

tell me also while you guys are watching tonight's episode whether or not you don't agree that part of the problem is that Sarandon looks too good to be quite right as Davis and Lange looks (and sounds) too old to be quite right as Crawford.

#272 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

Joan takes great liberties with a PEPSI bottle placement.....Bette says no freakin way and shoves it off the set....

#273 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

Back in the 1990s my sister and I loved watching those old game shows like WHAT's MY LINE? and PASSWORD on Game Show Network and we were just kids.

i am pretty sure every single extant episode of WHAT'S MY LINE? is on youtube, in case you're ever bored during the day, it's pretty fun to watch some of the BIG NAMES that did it....and the fun they had in doing it too.

#274 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

When Game Show Network aired "What's My Line" years ago, it was always at 11pm or later. "Black and White Overnight" they called it. Then had to stop because they couldn't get sponsors. When Buzzr picked it up lately, they did the same thing.

But, Buzzr finally did the smart thing and did market research to find out what their fans wanted to see. Come to find out, the old black and white game shows are what  people were interested it in. And they didn't watch before because they were on too late at night. Now, they are prime time viewing. 

It seems that even in 2017, people are still interested in a bit of class in their entertainment.  

Back in the 1990s my sister and I loved watching those old game shows like WHAT's MY LINE? and PASSWORD on Game Show Network and we were just kids.

#275 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

BTW, Not watching tonite, so those of you who do, be sure to let me know what egregious liberties with the truth are taken.

Looking forward to seeing whether Joan engages in some obscene group act with the lighting crew to get better angles or Bette ends up in bed with Francis, the Talking Mule tomorrow morning!

(or maybe the USC starting line-up will show up, just like in HOLLYWOOD BABYLON!)

#276 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

Yes this is true.... And with films like THE LION IN WINTER in the late 60s, or ON GOLDEN POND into the 80s, it is obvious [KATHARINE HEPBURN] never had to "stoop" to the horror film route of so many of her peers.

OMG, but she would have been THE BEST DAMN HORROR HAG there was if she had.

...Let's take a moment to imagine her in TROG!

• Arturo likes this

#277 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

Oh, PLEASE don't give Oliver Stone any ideas for some kind'a sequel to that cartoon of a movie of his about what happened on that fateful day in Dallas, Princess! PLEASE?!!!

(...ya see, I STILL have nightmare about watching almost every featured actor in that thing chewing the scenery to the hilt...uh-huh, yep, EVEN by the usually somnolent-inducing Mr. Costner!) ;)

• Dargo likes this

#278 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:13 AM

Gerald--

I grew up watching What's My Line on television every Sunday night. As a child, Dorothy Kilgallen became a kind of a role model for me. Everyone knew about her Showbiz column, but she was truly a legitimate journalist who in the last months of her life was seriously researching the assassination of President Kennedy.

A movie about her life would be interesting, not just in terms of her as an individual, but also in terms of how a woman in 1950s and 60's maneuvered her life in that kind of a public professional position.

You honestly had to have lived in the 1950's to know just how strait- jacketed women and minorities were in the American society at that time.
Dorothy Kilgallen's life was truly extraordinary for her era.

Last December legal analyst Mark Shaw released a book called:
The Reporter Who Knew Too Much: The Mysterious Death of What's My Line TV Star and Media Icon Dorothy Kilgallen.

Apparently Shaw has come up with new information regarding this 50 years plus mystery and it would make a fine TV movie - - I have yet to read the book.

Oh, PLEASE don't give Oliver Stone any ideas for some kind'a sequel to that cartoon of a movie of his about what happened on that fateful day in Dallas, Princess! PLEASE?!!!

(...ya see, I STILL have nightmare about watching almost every featured actor in that thing chewing the scenery to the hilt...uh-huh, yep, EVEN by the usually somnolent-inducing Mr. Costner!) ;)

#279 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,512 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

I know you're not a fan of this particular series. But, if it spurs more interest in old Hollywood scandals and mysteries, that would increase the odds of such a movie being made. And maybe you'll like that one.

I would be very interested in how such a movie would handle her demise.

Gerald--

I grew up watching What's My Line on television every Sunday night. As a child, Dorothy Kilgallen became a kind of a role model for me. Everyone knew about her Showbiz column, but she was truly a legitimate journalist who in the last months of her life was seriously researching the assassination of President Kennedy.

A movie about her life would be interesting, not just in terms of her as an individual, but also in terms of how a woman in 1950s and 60's maneuvered her life in that kind of a public professional position.

You honestly had to have lived in the 1950's to know just how strait- jacketed women and minorities were in the American society at that time.
Dorothy Kilgallen's life was truly extraordinary for her era.

Last December legal analyst Mark Shaw released a book called:
The Reporter Who Knew Too Much: The Mysterious Death of What's My Line TV Star and Media Icon Dorothy Kilgallen.

Apparently Shaw has come up with new information regarding this 50 years plus mystery and it would make a fine TV movie - - I have yet to read the book.

#280 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,824 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

Just to know about Katharine Hepburn in the Golden Age of Hollywood is to know that she got away with things that nobody else could get away with on- screen or off-screen.

Princess, your comment, above, reminds me of a story about Kate.  She was very progressive in her politics -- a good old Yankee liberal. She supported Henry Wallace for President in 1948. There was controversy because Wallace was prevented from renting the Hollywood Bowl for a campaign rally. Edward G. Robinson was going to make a speech of protest against that, but Kate said that he, as a Jewish actor born in Russia could get into trouble, and that she, whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower, could do it. And she did it. There was some amusement (on her own part) when she realized she was wearing a pink dress!

• Dargo, LornaHansonForbes and Princess of Tap like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users