We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bette and Joan

• Please log in to reply
732 replies to this topic

#21 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

I'm not a big fan of watching these type of series-(mini-series)  (NOTE: Only about a couple I personally ever thought were tremendous 1989's magnificent "Lonesome Dove" being ahead of the pack

But I am addicted to anything Hollywood & Sarandon-(despite not looking much like Bette, was also great) However, I bet the EMMYS go with Jessica

It's amazing that Susan will be turning 71!-(I watched her on numerous talk shows too) & yet Jessica is 3yrs her younger, SADLY, she's not aged as well

For those that don't know V. Bouno was just 43 when he went, in 1981   Aldrich at only age 65 in '83. (ONE DEBIT: Her hullincation in the middle of the night, had Hopper-(966-) & J.L. Warner, he died in '78 though?)

To match up -(think I did this already)

THANK YOU

(P.S. & though there are a couple ahead of them (Jerry Lewis, Hopkins   I'm certain over 100yr old Olivia would not accept it in person though)) & others, Susan & Jessica should be ready for the AFI Award by now!)

THANX

#22 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

I suggest if they do another season, it should be about Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons. Have Judy Davis reprise her role as Hedda, and get somebody like Sigourney Weaver play Louella.

I may be speaking out of turn here, but was there even a feud/battle between David & Olivia?

Agreed on 2 time Oscar contender Davis-(Judy) coming back though. She almost defeated Marisa Tomei in that surprise yr announced by a sozzled Jan Palance, so much an upset P-W had to come out & check-(sound familiar to a couple of months back)

But, you nailed it on Louella vs. Hopper! Thing is in our sad era most don't recall who they were

#23 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Yes, the Olivia/Joan feud would be a fun series. But I've read the next season will be Charles/Royal Family vs. Diana....

I suggest if they do another season, it should be about Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons. Have Judy Davis reprise her role as Hedda, and get somebody like Sigourney Weaver play Louella.
  • Swithin, GGGGerald and LornaHansonForbes like this

#24 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

We 'classic' film lovers at this forum don't represent the overall general audience.

Well, I spent Easter Sunday with family watching kids chase after easter eggs filled with money. And their parents, in their 20's and 30's. This Feud series was a topic of discussion.

Actually, more young people were watching it than those in the age group who actually knew who the actresses were. 

#25 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

Could one say there was a feud between the Kennedy family and Monroe and her 'handlers'?

I ask because I don't know if there would be enough here to drive a series but it has all the hot buttons to squeeze a lot from.

Speaking of JFK...

I don't know if there was any kind feud going on between the Kennedy clan and MM's handlers, but like the feud between Bette and Joan which this series suggests had it roots in the different formative years of each of them, with Bette's being much more privileged than Joan's, I could see where this Feud series might eventually delve into the whole JFK vs Nixon thing anyway, James. 

#26 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,482 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

Could one say there was a feud between the Kennedy family and Monroe and her 'handlers'?

I ask because I don't know if there would be enough here to drive a series but it has all the hot buttons to squeeze a lot from.

#27 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'm holding out for the FEUD: HALL AND OATES.

Reminds me of a fellow motorcycle rider I used to know...a rather rotund gent named Jimmy Oates.

(...I used to say his Honda 750 was good at, ahem, "haulin' Oates")

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#28 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

LOL.

#29 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

Yes, the Olivia/Joan feud would be a fun series. But I've read the next season will be Charles/Royal Family vs. Diana....

• Princess of Tap likes this

#30 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,482 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

I would like to see more biographical films of stars from the past.  How about the feud between Olivia De Havilland and Joan Fontaine?   Would you like to see the rough and tumble years of Clark Gable?  The life of Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks Sr. would be interesting.

While I would like to see more 'old Hollywood' stories moving on to the royal family is logical for the series from a ratings POV.

I'm still surprised "two old hags' like Bette and Joan were featured.    (not POV but I can hear Jack from the grave).

We 'classic' film lovers at this forum don't represent the overall general audience.

#31 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

#32 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

I would like to see more biographical films of stars from the past.  How about the feud between Olivia De Havilland and Joan Fontaine?   Would you like to see the rough and tumble years of Clark Gable?  The life of Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks Sr. would be interesting.

• GGGGerald likes this

#33 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

It was sad to watch the final episode of Feud.  How these two enormously talented women had such bitter and sad endings.  They could have been sisters.  Their lives were so similar in many ways.  I'll always love both of them and will continue to watch and enjotheir greatest cinematic triumphs on TCM or personal DVD collection.

• Arturo likes this

#34 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Bonded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:22 PM

I can't recall the thread where we were discussing this show, but since it had a tangential relationship to a classic film, I'll mention it here: Bates Motel ended its 5 year run tonight with an excellent series finale. For a show that I was very dubious about, and one that I didn't think was at all necessary when I first heard about it, it turned out to be one of the better written, atmospherically filmed, and best acted series of the past several years, with high notices going to Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore, and very able support from Max Thieriot, Nestor Carbonell, Ryan Hurst, and Olivia Cooke.

• CountVictorGrazinsky likes this

#35 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

I was surprised at how much I loved the show. And I really want to see all of Bette's and Joan's movies now!!

If nothing else, that is one result I had hoped for. More interest in the actresses and their work.

• ChristineHoard likes this

#36 rosebette

rosebette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

A fine ending to this engrossing series.  I loved the dream scene wiith Warner, Hopper, and Davis.  Some interesting irony in the notes at the end -- despite smoking up to 100 cigarettes a day, Davis still outlived Crawford.  Crawford destroyed her health to be beautiful (having her teeth removed, avoiding dental surgery), while Davis didn't give a damn and still died at a ripe old age.  While I think smoking is a filthy habit, maybe I should step up those cocktails!

• Arturo, GGGGerald and im4cinema2 like this

#37 antoniacarlotta

antoniacarlotta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

I was surprised at how much I loved the show. And I really want to see all of Bette's and Joan's movies now!!

• Arturo, ChristineHoard and GGGGerald like this

#38 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,824 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

Just watched the final episode of Feud.  Much of it was quite moving.  A great series -- I'll miss it. 

One thing is for sure. The men and women of the classic era were special. We will not see their like again.

mildred-pierce-joan-crawford.jpg

5678af5879ee9145e1ba6ea57b21c63b.jpg

• Arturo, ChristineHoard, LawrenceA and 2 others like this

#39 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,912 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

I fell madly, passionately in love with Lee Remick when I first saw WILD RIVER this summer.

Yes, she really looked beautiful in that. I've only seen the film a few times, but it's one of my favorites of hers...

#40 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

I dont think Remick really matched Lemmon in her performance, not that she was bad..........

I fell madly, passionately in love with Lee Remick when I first saw WILD RIVER this summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users