We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bette and Joan

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#21 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

From The Hollywood Reporter via: http://www.hollywood...rtrayal-1018306

"In a complaint filed Friday in L.A. County Superior Court, [Olivia] de Havilland claims she has built a reputation for integrity and dignity by refraining from gossip and other unkind, ill-mannered behavior — but the series opens with [Catherine] Zeta-Jones doing an interview as de Havilland and creates the impression that she was a hypocrite who sold gossip to promote herself."

Writes de Havilland's lawyer Suzelle Smith in court filings: "Her credibility, as both the only living person of significance portrayed in 'Feud' and as a reliable source who was close to the action, added to the success of 'Feud' at the expense of Olivia de Havilland."

35DB356000000578-3670080-image-a-19_1467

Then 99-year-old Olivia de Havilland is pictured above on June 18, 2016 at her home in Paris.

• Arturo and Princess of Tap like this

#22 VivLeighFan

VivLeighFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIn her room, most likely

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

I haven't the show yet but I read an article saying that Catherine Zeta-Jones as Olivia called Joan Fontaine her "**** sister". De Havilland just doesn't seem like the type of person who would say such a thing, no matter how badly she got along with her sister. It sounds like they barely researched how Olivia talked in real life. So I can see how it's in a negative light but then again I've haven't seen the show yet.

Edited by TCMModerator1, 30 June 2017 - 10:49 PM.
Edited for Language

#23 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Yea,  Olivia should be thankful! 

But seriously,   I sadly that Olivia felt the need to sue;  I don't think the show reflected her in a negative light unlike some of the books I have read about her where she was known as being difficult if not a downright ****.       Hopefully she doesn't prevail since that would be a blow to artistic license. 

While I'd say the majority of Zeta-Jones' scenes in this series made Olivia appear reasonably affable, I do remember towards the end of it a few scenes where she came across as a bit of a "****". And as I recall again, it was when her sister Joan's name was mentioned.

(...and so considering that Olivia has always downplayed the reports of HER feud with her sister, it would seem that it was primarily THOSE scenes in particular of which she might have taken exception enough to have filed this lawsuit)  

Edited by TCMModerator1, 30 June 2017 - 10:54 PM.
Edited for Language

• Arturo and ChristineHoard like this

#24 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

Maybe there will be a court case, with a jury, and Olivia will have to appear! I expect to be called for Jury Duty in August. If they move it to Manhattan (LA being too prejudicial), boy, would I love to be on that jury!

In any case, it's more publicity for the show, in time for the Emmys.

• LawrenceA likes this

#25 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,791 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Wow! And here wouldn't ya think her displeasure with this series MIGHT have been tempered a bit with the thought that they AT LEAST chose the MUCH hotter looking Catherine Zeta-Jones to play her?!

(...but no, I guess not, huh)

;)

Yea,  Olivia should be thankful! 

But seriously,   I sadly that Olivia felt the need to sue;  I don't think the show reflected her in a negative light unlike some of the books I have read about her where she was known as being difficult if not a downright ****.       Hopefully she doesn't prevail since that would be a blow to artistic license. 

Edited by TCMModerator1, 30 June 2017 - 10:52 PM.
Edited for Language

#26 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

Olivia is suing the producers of FEUD as she approaches 101 years old.  Seems like she (or her lawyers) did watch FEUD and didn't authorize the use of her name for the show and since she is a living person, she's suing plus she's denying the dialogue attributed to her.  Remember what happened when she sued Warner Bros. back in the 1940's?  She won.

Wow! And here wouldn't ya think her displeasure with this series MIGHT have been tempered a bit with the thought that they AT LEAST chose the MUCH hotter looking Catherine Zeta-Jones to play her?!

(...but no, I guess not, huh)

;)

• Arturo likes this

#27 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

Olivia is suing the producers of FEUD as she approaches 101 years old.  Seems like she (or her lawyers) did watch FEUD and didn't authorize the use of her name for the show and since she is a living person, she's suing plus she's denying the dialogue attributed to her.  Remember what happened when she sued Warner Bros. back in the 1940's?  She won.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#28 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

giphy.gif

LOL!!!

#29 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

Don't forget St. Loretta was known to sit on her sofa.

giphy.gif

• Arturo likes this

#30 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

On the upcoming Emmy Awards I bet Jessica Lange wins over Sarandon though.  Susan though is absolutely incredible looking at 71 & insists she's had no surgery done either

Maybe I missed a couple episodes, but Catherine Zeta-Jones bit as Olivia De Havilland seemed to only consist of a couple of sequences?

Let me know if she was in it more please

I also lay-odds that Judy Davis is nommed for her Hedda Hopper-(s. actress) & Alfred Molina as Robert Aldrich-(s. actor)

Sarandon had her eyes done years ago...........No Bette Davis bags.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#31 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Wrapped in plastic covering.......

#32 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:27 AM

This is very easy to find on (youtube) Larry King interviewing Crawford's daughter Christina, for those interested. Think it was from 2001

#33 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:26 AM

On the upcoming Emmy Awards I bet Jessica Lange wins over Sarandon though.  Susan though is absolutely incredible looking at 71 & insists she's had no surgery done either

Maybe I missed a couple episodes, but Catherine Zeta-Jones bit as Olivia De Havilland seemed to only consist of a couple of sequences?

Let me know if she was in it more please

I also lay-odds that Judy Davis is nommed for her Hedda Hopper-(s. actress) & Alfred Molina as Robert Aldrich-(s. actor)

#34 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

OKAY, now THAT would be a GREAT drag name!
JOAN ST. JOAN: OUR LADY OF THE WIRE HANGERS

#35 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:56 AM

LOL.

#36 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

I caught the final episode of Feud over the wknd and I guess I'm in the minority,  it was ok, but trying too hard like most of the series. Seemed like they were trying to make Joan, St. Joan.

#37 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

I caught the final episode of Feud over the wknd and I guess I'm in the minority,  it was ok, but trying too hard like most of the series. Seemed like they were trying to make Joan, St. Joan. B.D. gets a pass, but Christina doesnt (or is even portrayed, probably afraid of a lawsuit). I guess my main complaint with the series is they try to make it seem like this Feud was a big part of their lives. I dont agree. When they were working together, yes, there was rivalry. But when they werent (which is most of their careers, I doubt Bette gave Joan much thought at all)   To paraphrase Bette in Feud, I worked with Joan in Baby Jane. Our lives intersected. That's it! An entertaining series, but as far as accuracy, you're better off reading a biography of the 2 stars.

#38 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

Recently I had a chance to watch Bette Davis on This Is Your Life. I know I saw it in 1972, but at the time I didn't know so much of the history and the backstory of all the players. And of course, so much has happened in the meantime.

Miraculously the show started with Bette in a conference meeting with Robert Wagner and Edith Head, concerning a new movie she was going to make called Madame Sin.

Bette was pissedoff that Ralph Edwards was interrupting and she showed a great deal of irritation.

When they got her to the studio she was still pissedoff, but she changed on a dime when she saw William Wyler, the director who delivered her Jezebel Oscar.

The guests were just unbelievable--after her favorite director, she was treated to her best movie friend Olivia de Havilland, her sister, her stand-in, her famous impersonator, her first film editor, the wonderful Victor Buono--who was more entertaining impromptu than even in the movies-- and finally Paul Henreid, who of course lit two cigarettes for her, while they both made disparaging remarks about the director of Now Voyager.

What really impressed me was that these people looked and seemed just like any ordinary business professionals, who had gathered for a reunion. There was nothing particularly glamorous or unusual about them--that just made you realize how seriously they took their profession and how hard they must have worked at it.

And then you could see how Bette really enjoyed it. But I think it was beautiful to see how Bette really warmed up after she saw William Wyler.LOL

I watched This Is Your Life, thanks to your mention, Princess. It was amazing!  I loved the way Olivia ran out to hug Bette; and the way Paul lit the cigarette; and the way Victor Buono was afraid to sit on the edge of that sofa thing, for fear he'd catapult Bette up into the air. And of course Wyler. Great show -- a bygone age of informal television. 

(For those of you who haven't seen it, it's on YouTube).

• LornaHansonForbes and Princess of Tap like this

#39 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

I was not referring to the 12 inch LP vinyl version of "What I Did For Love"....

#40 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

.....I went through several vinyl Applause cast albums....

A sign of true love if ever there was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users