We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bette and Joan

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#41 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Well, what did you expect Crawford to do trussed up in her bed??? LOL. She does have some good scenes in the 2nd half. Just not too many of them.

again though, that brings us back to THE 25 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE that really should have been cut.

There is no reason for this story to be told in any more than an hour and fifty minutes.

#1 problem with BABY JANE '62: it is too **** long.

*Goshdarned

#42 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

Well, what did you expect Crawford to do trussed up in her bed??? LOL. She does have some good scenes in the 2nd half. Just not too many of them.

#43 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

as i recall it, Lynn was always sucking on candies or chewing gum in the role...maybe even gnawing a drumstick on occasion?

and this was when i only knew her from the WEIGHT WATCHERS commercials- ALTHOUGH I LOVED HER IN THOSE!!!!

KEEP IN MIND, I watched it on its intial broadcast in 1991 and don't think i've seen it since, but i really liked it better than the original  and that is another of the myriad reasons why I don't like the 1962 version.

another reason why I DON'T LIKE BABY JANE '62 that i may as well bring up now as any is that CRAWFORD is in fact relegated to the shadows for the second act of the picture, which Bette eats alive- she has some great scenes, but script dictates she be silent. she is- truly and honestly- as good as Bette for all her screen time, but that second act eclipse when the film focuses entirely on Bette is impossible to overcome and i totally get why she did not get an Oscar nomination- 1962 was a great year for actresses in full-on lead roles, and CRAWFORD in BABY JANE totters on the brink of being supporting.

and i don't think it had to be that way.

I think BABY JANE would be an imminently better pic-CHUH if CRAWFORD and Bette had near-equal screen time; if the focus was more evenly divided between the two.

SPOILER ALERT

and Crawford's diminished presence also diminishes the impact of the "twist" at the end, that all along she's been rather subtly manipulative...

#44 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

no problem. hope it "brightened your day."

:)

I feel so much better now!

#45 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Thanks!

no problem. hope it "brightened your day."

:)

#46 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

I  like the version of BABY JANE with the Redgrave sisters a lot. Both Lynn and Vanessa Redgrave do good American accents. Perhaps Lynn's is a bit better.

In that version Jane was a child star in the 1940s/1950s while Blanche was a movie star as an adult in the 1960s with Jane occasionally having small parts is some of Blanche's movies.

In one of those movies, Blanche and Jane sang a pop duet  called "There Should Be Love."

John Glover's character Billy (the equivalent of the Victor Buono role) is the manager of video store that Jane meets when she goes looking for some Baby Jane movies on VHS. There are none although they have some Blanche Hudson movies in the store. (There's a funny bit where Jane sees a customer with a Blanche Hudson movie and says "I wouldn't do it.") 

Billy convinces Jane to lip sync to a recording of "There Should Be Love" at a 1960s talent night at a club (in Hollywood I think --it looks like a seedy neighborhood) with Jane providing all the money for the entrance fee and other expenses.

Billy tells Jane that Blanche's part of the song will just be a voice coming from the darkness, but during the performance Billy actually joins Jane onstage in drag as Blanche, much to Jane's dismay.

Interesting.

#47 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

No i'm on my phone, but I will the next time I get to my computer at work.

Thanks!

#48 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

kinda looks like Pippi Longstocking on Meth:

hqdefault.jpg

OMG!!!

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#49 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

Billy tells Jane that Blanche's part of the song will just be a voice coming from the darkness, but during the performance Billy actually joins Jane onstage in drag as Blanche, much to Jane's dismay.

Oh yeah, I remember that part. It is seared in my brain.

#50 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

kinda looks like Pippi Longstocking on Meth:

hqdefault.jpg

• Dargo, EugeniaH, GGGGerald and 1 other like this

#51 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

The Redgrave version of BABY JANE That aired on TV in the early 90s was actually the first version I saw, and it definitely made an impression on me. Lynn Redgrave played Jane, and Vanessa Redgrave played Blanche, and John Glover played the Buono role

In that version, they had both been 1960s pop stars I believe, and their claim to fame was a popular duet

As I recall it, and it's been quite a long time, Lynn was especially good – she seemed to be enjoying having a role she could really let go in. The tv version also had the kind of set I would like to see: a big giant old Hollywood entryway with a great big sweeping staircase, which is just what the story calls for and added a lot of extra tension to the scene where Vanessa had to crawl down the stairs.
(posted with my phone in case the grammar and spelling is even more atrocious then usual)

I  like the version of BABY JANE with the Redgrave sisters a lot. Both Lynn and Vanessa Redgrave do good American accents. Perhaps Lynn's is a bit better.

In that version Jane was a child star in the 1940s/1950s while Blanche was a movie star as an adult in the 1960s with Jane occasionally having small parts is some of Blanche's movies.

In one of those movies, Blanche and Jane sang a pop duet  called "There Should Be Love."

John Glover's character Billy (the equivalent of the Victor Buono role) is the manager of video store that Jane meets when she goes looking for some Baby Jane movies on VHS. There are none although they have some Blanche Hudson movies in the store. (There's a funny bit where Jane sees a customer with a Blanche Hudson movie and says "I wouldn't do it.") 

Billy convinces Jane to lip sync to a recording of "There Should Be Love" at a 1960s talent night at a club (in Hollywood I think --it looks like a seedy neighborhood) with Jane providing all the money for the entrance fee and other expenses.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#52 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Can you post it???

No i'm on my phone, but I will the next time I get to my computer at work.

#53 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

After a quick Google image search, I can safely say that I stand by my earlier assessment. Yikes!

Can you post it???

#54 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

LOL! That's saying something. :D

After a quick Google image search, I can safely say that I stand by my earlier assessment. Yikes!

#55 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

Lorna: au contraire, the spelling and grammar are divine! Just a stray capital letter.. is "are" correct? Yes, I think so....

awtHANKS

#56 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

No, but I did get a few chuckles reading it....

I had it on audiobook which may be made it easier to take and very easy to punch stop.

#57 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Then I guess you're not waiting for the made-for-tv miniseries based on Scotty Bowers book--

" Full Service:
My Adventures in Hollywood and The Secret Sex Lives of The Stars". LOL

No, but I did get a few chuckles reading it....

#58 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Lorna: au contraire, the spelling and grammar are divine! Just a stray capital letter.. is "are" correct? Yes, I think so....

#59 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Lynn was also every bit as grotesque, if not possibly slightly more so, than Bette in the role

LOL! That's saying something. :D

#60 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Lynn was also every bit as grotesque, if not possibly slightly more so, than Bette in the role

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users