We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Bette and Joan

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#781 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

Didn't it start even before that? I seem to remember reading somewhere that on the 1935 set of Dangerous, Joan Crawford was furious because she found out that her husband (or maybe fiancee) Franchot Tone, was having an affair with co-star Bette Davis?

You are right; I couldn't remember what happened in the 30s,, so I just hedged with my statement. Hopefully, all of this will be covered in the show.

#782 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

The bad blood with Bette and Joan goes back way before WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, at least to Joan's arrival at Davis' studio, WB @ 1943, and her subsequent Oscar from a Bette reject, MILDRED PIERCE. Seems this show will start around then, based on the actresses' looks in the press photos circulating. Looking forward to it.

Didn't it start even before that? I seem to remember reading somewhere that on the 1935 set of Dangerous, Joan Crawford was furious because she found out that her husband (or maybe fiancee) Franchot Tone, was having an affair with co-star Bette Davis? 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#783 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

The bad blood with Bette and Joan goes back way before WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, at least to Joan's arrival at Davis' studio, WB @ 1943, and her subsequent Oscar from a Bette reject, MILDRED PIERCE. Seems this show will start around then, based on the actresses' looks in the press photos circulating. Looking forward to it.
  • jakeem, LornaHansonForbes and film lover 293 like this

#784 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,706 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

So, is the show ALWAYS going to be about Bette and Joan?  Or will they try to get to some of the other "feuds"  there might have been in old Hollywood?

Don't know much about which they would be, but just thought I'd ask.

Apparently, it's another anthology/limited series from Ryan Murphy, who's done the same with "American Horror Story" and "American Crime Story" (after the success of the O.J. murder case miniseries, the next ACS tales will be about Hurricane Katrina, the 1997 murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace, and Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky).

It wouldn't surprise me if an upcoming "Feud" installment is about the bumpy relationship between sisters Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine. But would they dare do it while De Havilland is alive?

• GGGGerald likes this

#785 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

So, is the show ALWAYS going to be about Bette and Joan?  Or will they try to get to some of the other "feuds"  there might have been in old Hollywood?

Don't know much about which they would be, but just thought I'd ask.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#786 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,706 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

I see that Sarah Paulson will be playing Geraldine Page in FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN.

Geraldine Page is one of my favorite actors.

I wonder how she is connected with the Davis/Crawford feud. 

I know that she was in the Rober Aldrich-produced WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE.

Page was a 1962 Best Actress Oscar nominee for "Sweet Bird of Youth," based on the play by Tennessee Williams. Bette Davis also was nominated in the category for her performance in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."

Joan Crawford reportedly detested the thought of Davis' winning a third Best Actress Oscar so much, she contacted other nominees and offered to accept the award if they won and were unable to attend. As it turned out, Anne Bancroft, who won for "The Miracle Worker," couldn't be there -- and Crawford gleefully accepted the statuette on her behalf.

So maybe there's a scene in "Bette and Joan" about that.

• Arturo, LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#787 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

I see that Sarah Paulson will be playing Geraldine Page in FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN.

Geraldine Page is one of my favorite actors.

I wonder how she is connected with the Davis/Crawford feud. 

I know that she was in the Robert Aldrich-produced WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE.

• Arturo and LornaHansonForbes like this

#788 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

This looks awesome! I'll definitely be setting my DVR up for this! 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#789 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

000245639.jpg?w=669

• lydecker, LornaHansonForbes and im4cinema2 like this

#790 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

I would think HHSC might be dealt with in this season. Other seasons most likely will focus on other feuds.

I just thought it was interesting that this would be the first one the go with. Normally the first is the one you think will create buzz and interest.

I'm thinking the same thing;  end season with HHSC and the fact Crawford didn't do that film with Davis (even if the reason was illness and not the feud),  then have a scene with Davis and DeHavilland;   Davis tells Olivia how glad she is she will be in the film because, "well darling,  you know how both of us have issues with a Joan,,,ha ha",   that gets Olivia talking and season two begins with a flashback to the 1941 Oscars.   

#791 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,706 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

The new Entertainment Weekly has a cover story about "Feud." It's amazing how much Susan Sarandon resembles Bette Davis!

C2jHdk5UkAEpKK5.jpg

• film lover 293 and im4cinema2 like this

#792 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

jamesjaqzzguitar--I was assuming there would be a Season II, and that it would be a continuation of Season I.

Joan Crawford was originally cast as Miriam in HHSC.  She dropped out, and Olivia deHavilland replaced her.  That is why I posted about Season II.  

I would think HHSC might be dealt with in this season. Other seasons most likely will focus on other feuds.

I just thought it was interesting that this would be the first one the go with. Normally the first is the one you think will create buzz and interest.

• film lover 293 likes this

#793 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

jamesjaqzzguitar--I was assuming there would be a Season II, and that it would be a continuation of Season I.

Joan Crawford was originally cast as Miriam in HHSC.  She dropped out, and Olivia deHavilland replaced her.  That is why I posted about Season II.  

Yes,  I know that Crawford was originally cast as Miriam in HHSC.    That was one of the reasons I asked if you were joking or not because since Crawford dropped out I couldn't understand why Season II would focus on that film as it relates to the Bette and Joan feud.    

Anyhow,  I believe Larry is correct:  if ratings are good there will be a season II but it will focus on a celebrity feud other than Bette and Joan.     What the producers could do is use HHSC to move from the Davis and Crawford to the DeHavilland and Fontaine feud. 

#794 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

#795 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

• Swithin likes this

#796 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

I haven't heard anything definite about a second season, and there probably won't be until the first episode at least premieres and the numbers are in. But I believe the idea is to feature a different celebrity feud from a different era in each season, with a revolving cast of characters and actors, much like the other FX shows American Horror Story and American Crime Story.

• GGGGerald and film lover 293 like this

#797 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

I look forward to Season II and the story of filming "Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte" (1965).  Who should play Agnes Moorehead?

Are you joking about Season II?     I ask because I'm not aware of a feud between any of the actors in HHSC.

Also,   since Crawford isn't in the film that would imply the Crawford character would have a diminished role in Season II.

#798 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

I look forward to Season II and the story of filming "Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte" (1965).  Who should play Agnes Moorehead?

#799 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

FX is starting a new series called "Feud" . The first season, entitled Bette and Joan, will center around the backstage battle between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis  during the production of their 1962 film What Ever Happened to Baby Jane ?

Just goes to show you that classic films are still relevant today. And there's nothing like old Hollywood. And television have never been better in my opinion. I also like the casting.

https://en.wikipedia...eud_(TV_series)

• Dargo and film lover 293 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users