We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

50 Greatest Directors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

→ The 50 Greatest Directors are the directors who directed my 50 favorite movies.  :)   

• johnm001 likes this

#2 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

I wouldn't even try to list 50, but my top ten favorites are:

Robert Wise

Brian De Palma

Alfred Hitchcock

Howard Hawkes

Don Siegel

Victor Fleming

John Ford

Michael Curtiz

Robert Stevenson

Blake Edwards

#3 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, I think he gets overlooked because he wasn't an auteur. He didn't put a "signature" on his movies. He was the greatest of the studio craftsmen, I think, working successfully in so many different genres. 

I don't agree that Wyler didn't put a signature on his films. Films like Jezebel, Dodsworth, and The Best Years of Our Lives, to name only a few, could have been directed by no one else. Building tension by showing actors' backs and shooting important scenes through glass windows (BYOOL) are only two of his trademarks. Some of the auteurist criticism was excellent, some was incredibly foolish, and not regarding Wyler as one of the great directors is foolish. Essentially, all the established critical favorites (like Wyler) were junked by the auteurists because praising them didn't distinguish the auteurists' critical work from their predecessors.

Incidentally, when I saw Lawrence's topic "50 Greatest Directors," my first thought was, "In my opinion or in their own minds?"

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

Nice! Thanks for adding that, skimpole. I'm surprised by Chris Marker on the list. Also surprised about Coppola being that high, even if he did make 3 of my favorite films. I can't believe I forgot Tarkovsky earlier in the discussion. 

#5 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

Here is theyshootpictures.com list of the 50 greatest directors.  Actually it will be updated later next month.  Numbers in brackets are those from the EW list that are more than 10 spots different.

• LawrenceA likes this

#6 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,403 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, I think he gets overlooked because he wasn't an auteur. He didn't put a "signature" on his movies. He was the greatest of the studio craftsmen, I think, working successfully in so many different genres. 

I agree with both Bogie and you when it comes to Wyler.   That was the first director 'missing' from the list that I noticed.

#7 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

I thought of a few more that I'm surprised weren't on there.

Fred Zinnemann

Elia Kazan

Lewis Milestone

George Stevens

Carol Reed

Michelangelo Antonioni

Mike Nichols

A few more still working are Wes Anderson, Clint Eastwood, Ang Lee and Ridley Scott.

#8 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

William Wyler is one of those names that is too easily overlooked.  You could make the argument that he was the most complete film director.  He could cut across any genre and was a fabulous actors director.

#9 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:10 AM

William Wyler is one of those names that is too easily overlooked.  You could make the argument that he was the most complete film director.  He could cut across any genre and was a fabulous actors director.

• kingrat likes this

#10 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:08 AM

Also, is it odd that Chaplin isn't on the list?

My goodness, yes.  Though I wonder if Entertainment Weekly is a bit mainstream I have to say that they do have some artsy choices as well.  i.e., von Sternberg, Bunuel.  

#11 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

I'm quite surprised that Vittorio De Sica is not on that list.  He has directed some great ones:

Definitely, and that brings to mind Roberto Rossellini, who is also highly regarded. Luchino Visconti as well.

I have personal favorites that would appear on my list, like David Lynch, Paul Thomas Anderson, David Cronenberg, Michael Mann, John Carpenter, David Fincher, Jim Jarmusch and Terrence Malick. They've all had hits and misses, but so have the majority of names on the original list.

Also, is it odd that Chaplin isn't on the list?

#12 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

I'm quite surprised that Vittorio De Sica is not on that list.  He has directed some great ones:

The Children Are Watching Us 1944

Shoeshine 1946

Bicycle Thieves 1948

Miracle In Milan 1951

Umberto D. 1952

Terminal Station 1953 - his cut

The Gold of Naples 1954

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow 1963

Marriage italian Style 1964

The Garden of the Finzi-Coninis 1970

A Brief Vacation 1973

• laffite and kingrat like this

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

In my opinion, a few of the newer directors would no longer be on the list. Oliver Stone, Jonathan Demme and Tim Burton have all faded from prominence. Spike Lee's impact has also diminished a bit, but his import for black filmmakers and NY filmmakers of a certain age may keep him on the list.

The notable older omissions I see include Robert Bresson, Yasujiro Ozu, Rene Clair, and Kenji Mizoguchi.

There are no Australian or Chinese directors on the list, so I would consider including Peter Weir and Wong Kar-wai. Park Chan-wook from Korea is also a possibility. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu from Mexico is a contender.

There are a few of the lesser respected "craftsmen" of old Hollywood, the guys who made solid films but without a personal, auteur touch, that I would include, particularly William Wyler and Michael Curtiz.

I think, love him or hate him, Quentin Tarantino would likely appear on the list.

My second favorite living filmmakers are the Coen brothers, who I'm sure would appear on the list now. At the time of the original list, EW weren't big fans of the Coens. I recall them begrudgingly conceding that Fargo was okay but they took undue glee when their next film, The Big Lebowski, flopped at the box office. Of course, it's gone on to become a huge cult favorite. EW has gone through various editorial changes, so I don't know if they still knock the Coens as frequently.

#14 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Nearly 21 years ago, the magazine Entertainment Weekly had an issue listing, in their estimation, the 50 greatest movie directors of all time. I'll post the list, and then I invite commentary on how the list should change now that we are 20 years further along. Who has risen in estimation, and who has fallen? Who, if any, have come on the scene since then that deserves a spot?

1) Alfred Hitchcock

2) Orson Welles

3) John Ford

4) Howard Hawks

5) Martin Scorsese

6) Akira Kurosawa

7) Buster Keaton

8) Ingmar Bergman

9) Frank Capra

10) Federico Fellini

11) Steven Spielberg

12) Jean Renoir