We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"The Pink Panther"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

More of a farcical comedy than a straight comedy, this Blake Edwards film is one of the most enjoyable "comedies" that has ever reached the screen.

It is so inventive.  It is so colorful.  It is constantly dazzling.

The nominal star of the film, David Niven, might have felt cheated by the scene-stealing antics of Peter Sellers, but Mr. Niven's very polished urbanity was essential to the ever-zanier developments of the proceedings.

He grounded the film.

Of course, Peter Sellers inhabits a universe of his own.

And coupling him with Capucine was an awfully interesting choice.

Despite the higher and higher momentum of the plot, the film has an undeniable "elegance".

I loved the insouciance of the sequence in which Claudia Cardinale's Princess suggested that Mr. Niven's Don-Juanism was actually "a mask".

Well, he does run off with Mrs. Clouseau, but that relationship is purely a business relationship.

Of course, he also runs off with his nephew (Robert Wagner), whom he hardly knows - but, what, might get to know better?

That Blake Edwards, such a sneak!

I also loved Fran Jeffries performing meglio stasera .  I like your comment about Nivens grounding the film and not worrying about Sellers and his scene stealing.

• rayban likes this

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

I tried to watch a handful of them, and I just couldn't believe the amount of extreme physical humor in those movies! Clouseau vs Sir Charles. Geez...oy!

(Aside: I like your signature line. I love In a Lonely Place!)

Thanks, I never get tired of watching Bogart and Grahame in "In A Lonely Place".

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

I like the sequels to "The Pink Panther".

But none of them attain the heights of the original film.

I tried to watch a handful of them, and I just couldn't believe the amount of extreme physical humor in those movies! Clouseau vs Sir Charles. Geez...oy!

(Aside: I like your signature line. I love In a Lonely Place!)

• rayban likes this

#4 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

I have tried to watch the sequels and I couldn't finish any of the ones I tried to watch. Normally I'm not a fan of sequels, and these ones were really scraping the bottom of the barrel. What on earth was the point of the sequels, anyway? (I also saw the remake. I remember nothing about it. Most likely I was indifferent to it.)

Agreed about the movie's score. It's music to my ears, for sure.

I like the sequels to "The Pink Panther".

But none of them attain the heights of the original film.

• johnm001 and cinemaspeak59 like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#5 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

I adore this film.  Oddly, when I list my top t0 favorite films, I never think of this one; and, I guess it wouldn't make my top 10, but it is certainly in the next 10.  My favorite (and most unique) of The Pink Panther series; and, who doesn't love Fran Jeffries' musical number, and the rest of the wonderful score?

I have tried to watch the sequels and I couldn't finish any of the ones I tried to watch. Normally I'm not a fan of sequels, and these ones were really scraping the bottom of the barrel. What on earth was the point of the sequels, anyway? (I also saw the remake. I remember nothing about it. Most likely I was indifferent to it.)

Agreed about the movie's score. It's music to my ears, for sure.

#6 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:52 AM

The only thing I don't like about the film is the ending - the last 15 minutes of the movie. Otherwise, it's a perfect movie. I like the OP's description of it ("constantly dazzling", "an undeniable 'elegance'").

I love the Fran Jeffries musical number, too.

• rayban likes this

#7 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

I feel that Blake Edwards is very underrated. I consider him a brilliant comic filmmaker.

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

www.sleepydogfilmsusa.com

www.facebook.com/sleepydogfilmsusa

#8 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

I adore this film.  Oddly, when I list my top t0 favorite films, I never think of this one; and, I guess it wouldn't make my top 10, but it is certainly in the next 10.  My favorite (and most unique) of The Pink Panther series; and, who doesn't love Fran Jeffries' musical number, and the rest of the wonderful score?

• rayban likes this

#9 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

More of a farcical comedy than a straight comedy, this Blake Edwards film is one of the most enjoyable "comedies" that has ever reached the screen.

It is so inventive.  It is so colorful.  It is constantly dazzling.

The nominal star of the film, David Niven, might have felt cheated by the scene-stealing antics of Peter Sellers, but Mr. Niven's very polished urbanity was essential to the ever-zanier developments of the proceedings.

He grounded the film.

Of course, Peter Sellers inhabits a universe of his own.

And coupling him with Capucine was an awfully interesting choice.

Despite the higher and higher momentum of the plot, the film has an undeniable "elegance".

I loved the insouciance of the sequence in which Claudia Cardinale's Princess suggested that Mr. Niven's Don-Juanism was actually "a mask".

Well, he does run off with Mrs. Clouseau, but that relationship is purely a business relationship.

Of course, he also runs off with his nephew (Robert Wagner), whom he hardly knows - but, what, might get to know better?

That Blake Edwards, such a sneak!

• johnm001, TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users