We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

David Shepard (1940-2017)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

This was Truly Heartbreaking news! A depressing loss to all of us. Virtually no one had done more to perpetuate the legacy of the Silent Era, even Kevin Brownlow. My sincere condolences to his family.

I would hope that TCM will organize some sort of a fitting tribute showcasing numerous films that he helped to preserve and restore. Including TOL'ABLE DAVID which to the best of my knowledge they have never aired. Also the early DeMille Domestic Comedies, and how about Lubitsch THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE, as well as the aforementioned CHICAGO? Perhaps they could get Jeffrey Vance as a guest host? Just a thought. It probably isn't likely to happen, but by all rights it should.

What will become of his personal collection and company Film Preservation Associates? Is there any word? God's Peace David, you will be profoundly missed.

• rayban and Natalie Webb like this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Sorry to hear this. I remember meeting with him at one of the libraries on campus, when I attended the University of Southern California in the mid-1990s. He was the chair of the cinema school department during part of the time I was enrolled there, and he taught one of my introductory film classes-- about the history of international silent film. He gave me a copy of the screenplay for SUNRISE, telling me I wouldn't find better poetry in any other script. And he was right about it!

R.I.P.

• rayban and Natalie Webb like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Ash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,152 posts
  • LocationLV-426

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

From what you stated in the other post, given his work on La Roue alone he should be lauded. Great job on that, and I'm thankful to his memory for it.

• TopBilled likes this

#4 drednm

drednm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

David was a major player in the world of film preservation and worked on dozens of film classics, trying to restore, preserve, and present much of our film history. He will be missed.

• TopBilled, LawrenceA and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users