We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Noir Alley

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#1 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,810 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

According to MovieCollectorOH's amazing database of TCM schedules, Night and the City (1950) was last shown on TCM in December of 2012.  (Just learning how to use this.)

I have my own modest TCM schedule data and can confirm that it has not been shown at least as far back as August 2014.

So LornaHF should get credit for having an even better memory than initially thought!

P.S. - I was able to check and Gene Tierney was featured in SUTS for August 1, 2015 and Night and the City was not part of the schedule for that day.

Thanks for this info.    It confirms what I posted which was: "Great that TCM secured the rights to the 20th Century Fox film Night and the City".

Because if it has been over 5 years since TCM leased the film,  they had to secure the rights again.   

#2 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,022 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

That sounds about right. It hasnt been on in awhile...........

#3 cmovieviewer

cmovieviewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

According to MovieCollectorOH's amazing database of TCM schedules, Night and the City (1950) was last shown on TCM in December of 2012.  (Just learning how to use this.)

I have my own modest TCM schedule data and can confirm that it has not been shown at least as far back as August 2014.

So LornaHF should get credit for having an even better memory than initially thought!

P.S. - I was able to check and Gene Tierney was featured in SUTS for August 1, 2015 and Night and the City was not part of the schedule for that day.

• mr6666 and LornaHansonForbes like this

#4 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,022 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

Yes, I remember she wasnt in it for very long........

#5 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

i distinctly recall** seeing NIGHT AND THE CITY on TCM, QUITE POSSIBLY WHEN GENE TIERNEY was a SUTS featuree 2-3 years ago.

i remember being really impressed with how skillfully Widmark- who I had seen mostly in authoritative, alpha-male roles before- played such a spineless, Elisha Cook-level LOSER. I also recall liking Googie Withers in it quite a bit.

Most of all though, I was struck by how Gene Tierney is only in the film for ten minutes- TOPS. She's in the beginning and the very end. later on, I read Zanuck was trying to Help her out by letting her do a small role to cope with her mental problems at the time, but for such a BIG STAR to be in such a SMALL PART probably did not end up helping her in the end.

**yeah, i know my track record of "distinctly recalling" things is spotty.

BUT I DISTINCTLY RECALL THIS!

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#6 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,022 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

LOL. I seem to remember them showing it on a Sunday night once (not too late)....

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,810 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

I think TCM has shown it once or twice.

Yes,  they have;  at 6:00 AM.  

#8 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,022 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

I think TCM has shown it once or twice.

#9 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Great that TCM secured the rights to the 20th Century Fox film Night and the City.

This is one of my top 10 noirs and features a great performance from Richard Widmark.   Widmark screen persona is more well rounded in this film then his previous 'real bad guy' roles.   He still bring a lot of energy and vitality to the role. 

There are also fine performance from British actors Googie Winters and Herbert Lom.    Gene Tierney is also in the film but her role isn't very developed.     

If you haven't seen this film and you're a fan of noir you're in for a treat.

The Threat is a film I haven't seen but at 66 minutes, this RKO picture is worth seeing even if it is only OK.    Charles McGraw plays the heavy and that is always worth seeing.

Hasn't this been on before?  Seem to recall having seen it listed on cable info.  Maybe on FMC?  Saw it years ago.  May have to watch it again.

#10 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,810 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

Great that TCM secured the rights to the 20th Century Fox film Night and the City.

This is one of my top 10 noirs and features a great performance from Richard Widmark.   Widmark screen persona is more well rounded in this film then his previous 'real bad guy' roles.   He still bring a lot of energy and vitality to the role. 

There are also fine performance from British actors Googie Winters and Herbert Lom.    Gene Tierney is also in the film but her role isn't very developed.     

If you haven't seen this film and you're a fan of noir you're in for a treat.

The Threat is a film I haven't seen but at 66 minutes, this RKO picture is worth seeing even if it is only OK.    Charles McGraw plays the heavy and that is always worth seeing.

• SueSueApplegate likes this

#11 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,022 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Thank you! A few in there I havent seen..........

• cmovieviewer likes this

#12 cmovieviewer

cmovieviewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

Does anyone have the schedule up to January they can post? It may be on here somewhere, but there are so many pages to sift through. :(

Hibi,

Here's what I copied down:

Sep

Framed (1947) (Sep 3)
    711 Ocean Drive (1950) (Sep 10)
    In A Lonely Place (1950) (Sep 17)

Scandal Sheet (1952) (Sep 24)
Oct
    Possessed (1947) (Oct 1)
    They Won't Believe Me (1947) (Oct 8)
    Side Street (1950) (Oct 15)
    Raw Deal (1948) (Oct 22)
    The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) (Oct 29)
Nov
    Split Second (1953) (Nov 5)
    Night And The City (1950) (Nov 12)
    The Window (1949) (Nov 19)
    Strangers On A Train (1951) (Nov 26)
Dec
    Pushover (1954) (Dec 3)
    The Breaking Point (1950) (Dec 10)
    The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) (Dec 17)
Jan 2018
    Red Light (1949) (Jan 7)
    Where Danger Lives (1950) (Jan 14)
    The Threat (1949) (Jan 21)
    Tomorrow Is Another Day (1951) (Jan 28).

• SueSueApplegate, mr6666 and ChristineHoard like this

#13 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,022 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

Does anyone have the schedule up to January they can post? It may be on here somewhere, but there are so many pages to sift through. :(

#14 cmovieviewer

cmovieviewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Since Eddie has been making the occasional 'good morning' welcome or reference to 'Sunday morning' in his Noir Alley intros it may make it difficult to move the show for a schedule change without bringing him back to the studio.  It's possible that Eddie has already recorded the wrappers for the films scheduled through January so TCM is electing to use those up before the time slot is moved.

I guess they could get Eddie to record some audio voice-overs that TCM could dub in to change 'Sunday morning' to 'Friday evening' etc. but I think we would notice. :)

#15 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,022 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Regarding the timeslot for Noir Alley, Eddie Muller has said that TCM will continue presenting the series on Sunday mornings through the end of January 2018, after which a change is being considered -- to midnight on either Friday or Saturday, according to multiple sources.

Yes, those were the times suggested as alternatives in the member quiz they sent out........too bad we have to wait that long!

#16 rosebette

rosebette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

He lives through THE MALTESE FALCON, but he does go to jail.

Of course, he's the "fall guy" in that one.

#17 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,810 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

Regarding the timeslot for Noir Alley, Eddie Muller has said that TCM will continue presenting the series on Sunday mornings through the end of January 2018, after which a change is being considered -- to midnight on either Friday or Saturday, according to multiple sources.

Well I hope it is Midnight PDT,  otherwise I'll looking at some all nighters!

#18 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

• mr6666 and cmovieviewer like this

#19 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

Although, Elisha Cook shows up in BLACULA for one scene as a doomed morgue attendant.

It's one of his best death scenes.

#20 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

I saw Born to Kill last night, I had never seen this film before and one engaging pasttime is figuring out when and how Elisha Cook will get his. Does he ever survive in any movie he's in?

He lives through THE MALTESE FALCON, but he does go to jail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users