We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Noir Alley

• Please log in to reply
681 replies to this topic

#641 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

By the way, Richard Basehart's in another noir coming up in this program: Tension. I don't want to say too much about it, in case you haven't seen it. But it's really good. It's about a pharmacist, a bad marriage, and a secret identity. Plus, how can you go wrong with Audrey Totter?  She's got such a fun line in this film:

"Well, baby, we're all laughed out !"  

Actually, going slightly off-topic here:  I love Audrey Totter. She's got such a tough, mean, yet sexy demeanour   (sorry couldn't resist.)  But here's the thing - I think she's funny ! She always makes me laugh. And I don't think it's unintentional on Audrey's part. Her face is not only pretty, it's very expressive, as is her voice. I think she uses these qualities to comic effect sometimes. Just look at her in the heroic but unsuccessful Lady in the Lake: she's hilarious !

Anyway, I recommend Tension; great fun,  - oh, Cyd Charisse is in it too, sans dancing. And Basehart looks  good in nerdy glasses.

Thanks for the tip on Tension.   I have only seen clips of this film (e.g. a beach scene with Totter,  Basehart and some other actor who I believe was Totter's new playmate) and that peaked my interest.    

Look forward to crossing this one off my list.

#642 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

(after a quick trip to imdb)

i had forgotten about FOURTEEN HOURS (1951) with BASEhart. that one is good.

#643 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

Coincidentally, both Richard Dysart and Richard Basehart had supporting roles in BEING THERE (1979).

Yeah, and I think Dysart once played one of the guest monsters on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea too.

(...but you'd have to ask NipkowDisc if I'm right about this)

;)

#644 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,185 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

oh snap!

i hang my head in shame!

thanks for the correction.

(shame)

No need for shame.

I always recall the difference as Basehart pretended to bounce around a plastic toy submarine for several years, while Dysart had his arms bitten off by The Thing. :D

• Dargo likes this

#645 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

L.A. Law had Richard Dysart. Richard Basehart was dead a couple of years before Law premiered.

oh snap!

i hang my head in shame!

thanks for the correction.

(shame)

#646 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

L.A. Law had Richard Dysart. Richard Basehart was dead a couple of years before Law premiered.

Basehart

richard3.jpg

Dysart

richard-dysart-2.9.jpg

Coincidentally, both Richard Dysart and Richard Basehart had supporting roles in BEING THERE (1979).

• misswonderly3 and LornaHansonForbes like this

#647 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

Don't have one. Too complicated for me.

I use a DVD recorder, which is no longer available.  When it fails, I will go to DVR I guess.  

Of course the DVR just increases the already high cable bill.

I like being able to make a permanent DVD that I can play whenever and wherever I want.

Also, can use DVD-RW for a very long time before it "wears out."

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#648 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,185 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:11 AM

the primary thing i recall about RICHARD BASEHART is that Gypsy from Mystery Science Theater had such a crush on him.

oh, and the LA LAW thing...

Basehart

richard3.jpg

Dysart

richard-dysart-2.9.jpg

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#649 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

By the way, Richard Basehart's in another noir coming up in this program: Tension. I don't want to say too much about it, in case you haven't seen it. But it's really good. It's about a pharmacist, a bad marriage, and a secret identity. Plus, how can you go wrong with Audrey Totter?  She's got such a fun line in this film:

"Well, baby, we're all laughed out !"  

Actually, going slightly off-topic here:  I love Audrey Totter. She's got such a tough, mean, yet sexy demeanour   (sorry couldn't resist.)  But here's the thing - I think she's funny ! She always makes me laugh. And I don't think it's unintentional on Audrey's part. Her face is not only pretty, it's very expressive, as is her voice. I think she uses these qualities to comic effect sometimes. Just look at her in the heroic but unsuccessful Lady in the Lake: she's hilarious !

Anyway, I recommend Tension; great fun,  - oh, Cyd Charisse is in it too, sans dancing. And Basehart looks  good in nerdy glasses.

• TheCid likes this

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#650 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

the primary thing i recall about RICHARD BASEHART is that Gypsy from Mystery Science Theater had such a crush on him.

oh, and the LA LAW thing...

#651 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

well, if you ever do "upgrade" (voluntarily or not) to "better" tv/cable, it's a pretty cool function worth having.

#652 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

Lorna, I add my voice to the others here who've recommended He Walked By Night. I mean, aside from anything else, ya gotta love that title.

It is, however, as someone ( sorry to not give credit to them, I don't want to take the time to scroll back and check who it was)  here said, more what is called a "police procedural" than a noir. Still, it has many noirish elements, including beautiful b &  w cinematography  (ok, hardly unique to this film) and deliciously dark and mysterious settings, including a finale that precedes the one in The Third Man.  

Yikes, hope that isn't a spoiler of sorts.

Also, anything starring Richard Basehart is worth a look.  I don't know why this actor isn't more well-known....he certainly deserves to be. (anyone seen the lovely and heartbreaking La Strada ?)

Here's a wonderful shot from HWBN  - just look at those venetian blind shadows !  And Basehart's face.

hewalkedbynight21zw.jpg

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#653 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

you've got DVR, yes?

i used to gripe about them scheduling stuff at bad times, but then i figured mine out and it's pretty cool.

it's basically a VCR in your TV that never spits the tape out.

• TheCid likes this

#654 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

At 10 AM, I'm right in the middle of a spinning class, and I don't get home until after 2.  Why can't they run this stuff later Sunday afternoon?

you've got DVR, yes?

i used to gripe about them scheduling stuff at bad times, but then i figured mine out and it's pretty cool.

it's basically a VCR in your TV that never spits the tape out.

#655 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

Great time. I'll be sleeping the sleep of the innocent at 10 a.m.

Sunday and I'll be missing that repetitive bore at the same time.

Sweet. :)

At 10 AM, I'm right in the middle of a spinning class, and I don't get home until after 2.  Why can't they run this stuff later Sunday afternoon?

#656 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

also tangentially related, there is apparently a double edition Criterion DVD of the 1946 film THE KILLERS and its later "Ronald Reagan Remake" (which i have never seen.)

(damn, it wont let me post the cover image.)

#657 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

hume-cronyn.jpg

This is what's waiting at the other end of 90% of the personal ads on Craigslist....

• kingrat, Dargo and DebraDancer like this

#658 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:45 AM

Brute Force is excellent. (Some people may be put off by Hume Cronyn in his undershirt, however.)

Yeah, well...in that regard, the rubber hose doesn't help much either, ya know Fedya! ;)

hume-cronyn.jpg

(...well, I suppose unless you're into that sort'a thing anyway)

#659 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

They must have picked Sunday morning as everyone who isn't noirish is out at church.

I could do a rant about Brute Force not being real noir but will spare everyone the details. They start off with an awesome one in Detour, but Brute Force is dreck by comparison.

Brute Force is excellent. (Some people may be put off by Hume Cronyn in his undershirt, however.)
  • Winslow_Leach likes this

#660 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

Will Tiffany be co-hosting?

Nope; Debbie Gibson will be the co-host.
  • lydecker, TopBilled and CinemaInternational like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users