We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Kirk Douglas - The Indian Fighter (1955)

Western Kirk Douglas

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

Curse of the Undead (1959)

This one is my watchlist. I haven't managed to track down a copy yet.

This is a list of some western/horror hybrids I've seen and yet to see...

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls066062607/

"Anybody who doesn't want to hang can step out get shot"

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,220 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

A combination which begs the question: Do you prefer Billy the Kid Versus Dracula (1966) or Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)?

:P

Curse of the Undead (1959)

poster-curse-of-the-undead-364376.jpg

• LiamCasey likes this

#3 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

It's great to see another Western/Horror fan. It's an interesting combination no?

A combination which begs the question: Do you prefer Billy the Kid Versus Dracula (1966) or Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)?

:P

#4 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

I do have one other Douglas western in my stack of movies to watch eventually, and that's Man Without a Star, also from 1955. Have you seen that one yet?

P.S. I'm glad to see another horror movie fan. There's a few of us around here.

Hey Lawrence, no I have not seen that one but it is on my list.

It's great to see another Western/Horror fan. It's an interesting combination no? I also keep a list of horror/western movies I have seen and some that I'm looking for. The last one I saw was The Fiend That Walked the West. Though not quite horror I still found it fairly entertaining.
  • rayban likes this

#5 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,220 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

Greetings, AlamoScout, and welcome to the boards.

I had the same feeling as you did toward The Indian Fighter. I gave it a 6/10 score. I've only seen it once, so maybe another viewing is in order. 

I do have one other Douglas western in my stack of movies to watch eventually, and that's Man Without a Star, also from 1955. Have you seen that one yet?

P.S. I'm glad to see another horror movie fan. There's a few of us around here.

#6 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hi fellow western fans, my name is Steve. I'ma transplant from the soon to be defunct IMDB messageboards. I'm a huge horror movie fan but also an equally huge fan of classic western movies, especially from the 1950's.

I keep a watchlist of western movies that I have not seen and so I'm always on the lookout for any of the films on my list to appear on TV or wherever. One of the those long anticipated films is Kirk Douglas' The Indian Fighter (1955).

Kirk is one of my favorite Western movie actors and I hope to see all of them at some point and some of the reasons I've been wanting to see The Indian Fighter is the cast. Besides Kirk, This movie features a very solid cast, Walter MatthauLon Chaney Jr. Elisha Cook Jr. Ray Teal, and Hank Worden to name a few.

Second, The Indian Fighter is directed by famed director André De Toth.

And thirdly, with a title like The Indian Fighter, this movie is screaming "Watch me!"

However, with all that said, The Indian Fighter did not live up to my expectations, which is surprising since I usually find most Kirk Douglas westerns to be very entertaining and enjoyable. That's not to say that this movie isn't worth a look which it most certainly is but I would say that it's average film at best and doesn't take advantage of all the positives I mentioned above. 

But to be fair to myself and to my appreciation for Kirk Douglas' career and his contribution to the western genre I will make an effort to give this film another shot and maybe see it differently.

Has anyone else seen The Indian Fighter and if so, what did you think about it?

• rayban likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Western, Kirk Douglas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users