We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

My Top Ten Favorites

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

So here then are two Top Ten lists. One from before 1960 and one after 1960:

I just wanted to say how happy I am to see A Matter Of Life And Death on someone else's list. It is in my top 3 favorite films (of all eras!)

• LawrenceA likes this

#2 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Well first of all welcome to the boards!

You would not happen to be a refuge from the IMDB message boards would you? If you are I think you will find the conversations here a whole lot more courteous and fun.

If not from the IMDB boards, welcome anyway!

As Speedracer has written, I agree with him. My lists of top tens can and has changed based on any number of factors. But I think one can have a personal favorite list of so-called “guilty pleasures” and that list can change from time to time.

One of the great contributors here FrankGrimes (Scott) and I have often creating lists that eventually cause great deals of conversations. And even though I have not posted in my own thread titled “LISTS” right here on the Favorites forum, I hope to continue writing there soon.

If I were to select what I would call a “Guilty Pleasures” Top Ten list of favorites it would deb based on what I would say are the two eras of classic film making. One era ended in 1959 and the other era started in 1960. We all here have had many debates on just what year the classic old movie studio system ended and the new era started.

I have always felt that even though the old-style movie production code ended in 1968, many of the so-called Golden era Hollywood films were still being produced well into the mid to late 1960’s. But to me one has to pick a year and even though many 1960’s era films looked like production code films from the Golden Age of Films, many, many more were of a new breed. So I use 1959 as the last year of the old-style movie production era. 1960 starts with the new, modern era.

List One:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The Talk of the Town (1942)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

Twelve O’Clock High (1949)

The Cruel Sea (1953)

Winchester ’73 (1950)

The Fastest Gun Alive (1956)

The Enemy Below (1957)

List Two:

Ride the High Country (1962)

McLintock! (1963)

Fail-Safe (1964)

Seven Days in May (1964)

The Professionals (1966)

Bite the Bullet (1975)

The Wind and the Lion (1975)

The Natural (1984)

Defending Your Life (1991)

The World’s Fastest Indian (2006)

Hi, yes I was previously on IMDB message boards, I don't really miss it that much. Glad to be here.

There are many I have not seen on your lists

The Cruel Sea (195

The Enemy Below (1957)

Fail-Safe (1964)

My favorite is Ride The High Country, one of my favorite westerns. I think it is Sam Peckinpah's best film and has a gang of great villains with the nasty Hammond gang.

#3 fxreyman

fxreyman

I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  • LocationLibertyville, Illinois

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Well first of all welcome to the boards!

You would not happen to be a refuge from the IMDB message boards would you? If you are I think you will find the conversations here a whole lot more courteous and fun.

If not from the IMDB boards, welcome anyway!

As Speedracer has written, I agree with him. My lists of top tens can and has changed based on any number of factors. But I think one can have a personal favorite list of so-called “guilty pleasures” and that list can change from time to time.

One of the great contributors here FrankGrimes (Scott) and I have often creating lists that eventually cause great deals of conversations. And even though I have not posted in my own thread titled “LISTS” right here on the Favorites forum, I hope to continue writing there soon.

If I were to select what I would call a “Guilty Pleasures” Top Ten list of favorites it would deb based on what I would say are the two eras of classic film making. One era ended in 1959 and the other era started in 1960. We all here have had many debates on just what year the classic old movie studio system ended and the new era started.

I have always felt that even though the old-style movie production code ended in 1968, many of the so-called Golden era Hollywood films were still being produced well into the mid to late 1960’s. But to me one has to pick a year and even though many 1960’s era films looked like production code films from the Golden Age of Films, many, many more were of a new breed. So I use 1959 as the last year of the old-style movie production era. 1960 starts with the new, modern era.

List One:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The Talk of the Town (1942)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

Twelve O’Clock High (1949)

The Cruel Sea (1953)

Winchester ’73 (1950)

The Enemy Below (1957)

List Two:

Ride the High Country (1962)

McLintock! (1963)

Fail-Safe (1964)

Seven Days in May (1964)

The Professionals (1966)

Bite the Bullet (1975)

The Wind and the Lion (1975)

The Natural (1984)

#4 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,860 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

Contemporary (post-60s)

1. Top Secret!
2. Better Off Dead
3. Star Wars
4. Smokey and the Bandit
5. The Naked Gun
6. The Empire Strikes Back
7. The Thing
8. Raiders of the Lost Ark
9. Young Frankenstein
10. The Shining

Classic (pre-70s)

1. Scarlet Street
2. Cape Fear
3. Once Upon a Time in the West
4. M
5. Pickup on South Street
6. 12 Angry Men
7. Night and the City
8. Out of the Past
9. Psycho
10. Inherit the Wind
  • fxreyman and LawrenceA like this

#5 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

1. Casablanca

2. Fantasia

3. Singin’ in the Rain

​4. It’s a Wonderful Life

​5. Citizen Kane

​6. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

7. Horse Feathers

8. Grease

9. The Wizard of Oz

10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

I have seen all except for Grease. My favorite is the hilarious Marx Bros film Horse Feathers

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#6 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

1. Casablanca

2. Fantasia

3. Singin’ in the Rain

​4. It’s a Wonderful Life

​5. Citizen Kane

​6. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

7. Horse Feathers

8. Grease

9. The Wizard of Oz

10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

#7 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

My Top 10:

1. The Long Long Trailer

2. Casablanca

3. Gentleman Jim

4. Meet Me in St. Louis

5. Singin' in the Rain

6. Sabrina

7. The Major and the Minor

8. Picnic

9. Some Like it Hot

10. Gilda

There are so many films that I love that my Top 10 can change on any given day--except for The Long Long Trailer being #1.  But these movies all generally make the cut.

Other movies that I also love, but couldn't decide what other movie to sacrifice:

All About Eve

Double Indemnity

Funny Face

The Muppet Movie

The Wizard of Oz

Easter Parade

Rear Window

Pillow Talk

There are 3 on your list I have not seen-Gentleman Jim, The Major And The Minor and Gilda. My favorite is Meet Me in St Louis, love Judy Garland, Margaret O Brien and all the songs.

#8 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

My Top 10:

1. The Long Long Trailer

2. Casablanca

3. Gentleman Jim

4. Meet Me in St. Louis

5. Singin' in the Rain

6. Sabrina

7. The Major and the Minor

8. Picnic

9. Some Like it Hot

10. Gilda

There are so many films that I love that my Top 10 can change on any given day--except for The Long Long Trailer being #1.  But these movies all generally make the cut.

Other movies that I also love, but couldn't decide what other movie to sacrifice:

All About Eve

Double Indemnity

Funny Face

The Muppet Movie

The Wizard of Oz

Easter Parade

Rear Window

Pillow Talk

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#9 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:38 PM

Although none of these is one of my favorites, I do like all these films.  Generally, when someone posts their favorite films, I look at the list and simply cannot imagine, why?  lol  It's very difficult to pick just 10 films that are favorites; but, generally, this is the list:

1.  THE SOUND OF MUSIC

2.  VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960)

3.  THE BIRDS

4.  THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS

5.  THE MIRACLE WORKER

6.   BLOW OUT

7.   FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

8.   AIRPORT

9.   THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

10.  THE MUMMY (1999)

I have seen all of these, my favorite maybe The Miracle Worker for the two powerful performances by Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke. I have a special place for The Trouble With Angels since I am a big Hayley Mills fan

#10 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

TOP TEN ALL-TIME FAVORITES

1)  Apocalypse Now

2)  Taxi Driver

3)  The Godfather Trilogy

4)  Goodfellas

5)  The Shining

6)  Raging Bull

7)  The Original Star Wars Trilogy

8)  Dr. Strangelove

9)  Chinatown

10)  2001: A Space Odyssey

I have seen all of these, my favorites being Goodfellas,(my favorite gangster film) and 2001 (my favorite sci fi)

#11 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

These are my top ten favorite films in chronological order, let me know what you think or post your own 10 favorites.

1. Gunga Din (1939) greatest action adventure film ever made. Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks Jr are heroic and funny.

2. Shadow Of A Doubt (1943) my favorite Hitchcock film. Teresa Wright is a spunky heroine and Joseph Cotten is one of the greatest villains of all time.

3. Detective Story (1951) A tough character study, Kirk Douglas's greatest performance and the best portrayal of police work on film.

4. From Here To Eternity (1953) An engrossing story of soldiers just before WWII with Montgomery Clift's best performance.

5. On The Waterfront (1954) An excellent look at corruption and conscience with gritty real locations and Marlon Brando gives the greatest male performance i have seen on film.

6. Marty (1955) Ernest Borgnine is excellent as the average guy looking for love. The most realistic view of ordinary people I have ever seen.

7. Night Of The Hunter (1955) A masterpiece of suspense with great Charles Laughton direction, stunning photography and a frightening portrayal by Robert Mitchum.

8. Rosemary's Baby (1968) My favorite horror film, the suspense builds to a horrifying climax. Mia Farrow is excellent and sympathetic.

9. Midnight Cowboy (1969) great look at 1960s New York with greatest double lead performances in a film by Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.

10. Taxi Driver (1976) A disturbing and fascinating look at crime and madness in gritty and dangerous 1970s New York. Robert DeNiro's greatest performance.

Although none of those is one of my favorites, I do like all these films.  Generally, when someone posts their favorite films, I look at the list and simply cannot imagine, why?  lol  It's very difficult to pick just 10 films that are favorites; but, generally, this is the list:

1.  THE SOUND OF MUSIC

2.  VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960)

3.  THE BIRDS

4.  THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS

5.  THE MIRACLE WORKER

6.   BLOW OUT

7.   FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

8.   AIRPORT

9.   THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

10.  THE MUMMY (1999)

#12 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,264 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

TOP TEN ALL-TIME FAVORITES

1)  Apocalypse Now

2)  Taxi Driver

3)  The Godfather Trilogy

4)  Goodfellas

5)  The Shining

6)  Raging Bull

7)  The Original Star Wars Trilogy

8)  Dr. Strangelove

9)  Chinatown

10)  2001: A Space Odyssey

• Bogie56 and KilgoreTrout like this

#13 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Nice, I see we agree on On The Waterfront, Paths Of Glory is my favorite Kubrick film and in my top 20. The only one I haven't seen on your list is The Conformist.

I'm afraid to say that outside of Casablanca they all are basically men's pictures.  But there you go.

#14 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

My top ten films.

1.  Citizen Kane (1941)

2.  Dr. Strangelove (1964)

3.  The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

4.  On the Waterfront (1954)

5.  Casablanca (1942)

6.  Paths of Glory (1957)

7.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

8.  The Wild Bunch (1969)

9.  The Conformist (1970)

10.  Raging Bull (1980)

Nice, I see we agree on On The Waterfront, Paths Of Glory is my favorite Kubrick film and in my top 20. The only one I haven't seen on your list is The Conformist.

#15 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

My top ten films.

1.  Citizen Kane (1941)

2.  Dr. Strangelove (1964)

3.  The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

4.  On the Waterfront (1954)

5.  Casablanca (1942)

6.  Paths of Glory (1957)

7.  Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

8.  The Wild Bunch (1969)

9.  The Conformist (1970)

10.  Raging Bull (1980)

• KilgoreTrout likes this

#16 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

These are my top ten favorite films in chronological order, let me know what you think or post your own 10 favorites.

1. Gunga Din (1939) greatest action adventure film ever made. Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks Jr are heroic and funny.

2. Shadow Of A Doubt (1943) my favorite Hitchcock film. Teresa Wright is a spunky heroine and Joseph Cotten is one of the greatest villains of all time.

3. Detective Story (1951) A tough character study, Kirk Douglas's greatest performance and the best portrayal of police work on film.

4. From Here To Eternity (1953) An engrossing story of soldiers just before WWII with Montgomery Clift's best performance.

5. On The Waterfront (1954) An excellent look at corruption and conscience with gritty real locations and Marlon Brando gives the greatest male performance i have seen on film.

6. Marty (1955) Ernest Borgnine is excellent as the average guy looking for love. The most realistic view of ordinary people I have ever seen.

7. Night Of The Hunter (1955) A masterpiece of suspense with great Charles Laughton direction, stunning photography and a frightening portrayal by Robert Mitchum.

8. Rosemary's Baby (1968) My favorite horror film, the suspense builds to a horrifying climax. Mia Farrow is excellent and sympathetic.

9. Midnight Cowboy (1969) great look at 1960s New York with greatest double lead performances in a film by Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman.

10. Taxi Driver (1976) A disturbing and fascinating look at crime and madness in gritty and dangerous 1970s New York. Robert DeNiro's greatest performance.

• Bogie56 and CoraSmith like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users