We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Fury at Showdown (1957)

John Derek John Smith Nick Adams Western Drama

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up; I'll be looking for this movie if just to see John Smith as the "bad guy"

Robert Fuller told Bob Terry that Smith wanted to play "Jess Harper" on Laramie and had been cast as him when Fuller was offered the "Slim Sherman" role.  He knew he was not right for it and campaigned to play Jess.  Smith wanted the part to show he was more than a vanilla guy and fought hard but Universal realized Fuller was right and made the change,  After a tense few months the two men became close friends; Fuller delivered the eulogy at Smith's funeral.  The only time I've seen Smith as a villain was on the Darren McGavin version of Mike Hammer so this will be interesting.

Hey wouldbestar, thanks for the reply. Then you might also be interested in Tomahawk Trail (1957). Another nifty little cavalry western starring Chuck Connors and co-stars John Smith.

• rayban likes this

"Anybody who doesn't want to hang can step out get shot"

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up; I'll be looking for this movie if just to see John Smith as the "bad guy"

Robert Fuller told Bob Terry that Smith wanted to play "Jess Harper" on Laramie and had been cast as him when Fuller was offered the "Slim Sherman" role.  He knew he was not right for it and campaigned to play Jess.  Smith wanted the part to show he was more than a vanilla guy and fought hard but Universal realized Fuller was right and made the change,  After a tense few months the two men became close friends; Fuller delivered the eulogy at Smith's funeral.  The only time I've seen Smith as a villain was on the Darren McGavin version of Mike Hammer so this will be interesting.

John Smith - forever and always - "The High and The Mighty".

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

#4 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

Reformed ex-convict Brock Mitchell (John Derek) completes a prison sentence for shooting a man in a desperate act of self-defense and travels to the ranch run by his brother, Tracy (Nick Adams). Now an outcast in his own hometown, Brock throws himself into raising animals and working the land. As the newly reconciled Mitchells make up for lost time, vicious gunslinger Miley Sutton (John Smith) finds himself on the payroll of the crooked brother of the man Brock killed.

Such is the plot of this excellent western that I was fortunate to watch on the Starz Western channel a few months ago.

The first good thing about this movie is fans of the tv show Laramie might get a kick out watching John Smith play against type as the villainous gunslinger and he plays it up with gusto.

Fury at Showdown may be a B Western but it packs a lot of punch into its running time and lives up to it's name.

This movie quite possibly features the most vicious knock-down, gut-busting, fist-bruising, bloody, knuckle-duster I have ever seen in a western since Shane. At times the fight seems so realistic that I actually think the actors got into a real fist fight!

This is a good one and highly recommendable. 7/10

• rayban likes this

"Anybody who doesn't want to hang can step out get shot"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Derek, John Smith, Nick Adams, Western, Drama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users