I won't buy that the Trump administration is really serious about illegal immigration until they do more on the employer end. If there are no jobs, there will be little to no illegal immigration. To use the drug war analogy, we keep going after the junkies instead of the dealers. The wall makes for nice press and an easy visual, but it really is nothing but a symbol. And I prefer substance to symbolism.
I agree but I think the push for increased employer sanctions and increased enforcement needs to come from the Dems. Instead the Dems, especially those in CA, are for open border with no enforcement (otherwise why are they against increased border security) and a 'once your here, you can stay' policy.
I understand that the Dems wish to protect (not deport), the vast majority of the 11 million already here, but that isn't a realistic compromise with the GOP. If the Dems made a reasonable proposal the GOP might not be able to reject it;
1) Existing 'dreamers' get a pathway to citizenship but the 'dreamer' program is ended after 2 more years.
2) Work visas are granted if an employer agrees to sponsor an illegal worker and unemployment in the general area is < 6% and the illegal doesn't have a criminal record other than 'minor' violations
3) Agree to increase southern border security but only in targeted areas that are currently too 'open'
4) Agree to NOT support sanctuary cities in exchange for the above, by passing a law that penalizes them (if Constitutional of course).
5) Mandated E-verify and SSN checks with increased Employer sanctions.
6) Openly advise the remaining illegal immigrants that do NOT meet the above requirements that they need to leave as well as sending a message to Mexico that their citizens are only welcome if they come legally. (instead of openly stating that they have a legit, moral reason to be in the USA illegally)
I believe the above would lead to about 60% to 70% being able to stay in the USA. To me that is a fair compromise but I don't see the Dems having the leadership to make such an offer.