We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Another WALL coming soon?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

So will Canada change the status of the USA to 'unsafe' therefore allowing easier access to Canada from the USA? 

No.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#22 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

I see a possible WALL being proposed between the U.S. and Canada to help stem the tide.  So, who's gonna pay for THAT?

Why? Are proposals that costly?

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#23 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

I'm also trying to find out,  but last I read they were let in and it looks like they will be able to stay.    The CNN article I read said that only a handful had come over but there was a concern that once it gets warmers more will come as well as non refugees like Mexican migrants.    What Canada will do then, if that occurs, will be interesting. 

As you know Canada has a very controlled immigration process.    Since it is controlled it allows Canada to welcome more refugees but Mexican migrants are not refugees.

Here in the USA illegal immigrants (which are mostly just migrant workers) are stealing the spots that should be reserved for actual refugees. 

Ontario farmers have relied on Mexican migrant workers for many years.  How they get here, I'm not sure.  Probably flights.  As for the Somali refugees I would say that if they can be back checked they should be most welcomed.  Think about the fortitude it must have taken to make it from Africa all the way to snowbound Manitoba!  Lots more guts and determination than most of us who just sit around our computers and whine about the global state of affairs.

#24 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

Have you heard or read of the Canadians sending the Somali refugees back to the United States?  I'm asking as I don't know.

I'm also trying to find out,  but last I read they were let in and it looks like they will be able to stay.    The CNN article I read said that only a handful had come over but there was a concern that once it gets warmers more will come as well as non refugees like Mexican migrants.    What Canada will do then, if that occurs, will be interesting. 

As you know Canada has a very controlled immigration process.    Since it is controlled it allows Canada to welcome more refugees but Mexican migrants are not refugees.

Here in the USA illegal immigrants (which are mostly just migrant workers) are stealing the spots that should be reserved for actual refugees. 

#25 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

The real story is that Canada requires refugees to fill out paperwork in the first 'safe' country they arrive in and currently the USA is deemed a safe country and therefore without the paperwork (which requires them to work with US officials),  they are denied access.

So will Canada change the status of the USA to 'unsafe' therefore allowing easier access to Canada from the USA?   They should if they really welcome these immigrants as much as some here claim they do.

Have you heard or read of the Canadians sending the Somali refugees back to the United States?  I'm asking as I don't know.

#26 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

Last night while watching an episode of SCHITT'S CREEK on CBC, in a commercial break there was a blurb for THE NATIONAL  mentioning a story about how Canada is the new destination for migrant workers from Mexico due to a "more welcoming attitute" in the nation.

That's how all this illegal immigrant brou-ha gets strarted.  So I see a possible WALL being proposed between the U.S. and Canada to help stem the tide.  So, who's gonna pay for THAT?

Sepiatone

The real story is that Canada requires refugees to fill out paperwork in the first 'safe' country they arrive in and currently the USA is deemed a safe country and therefore without the paperwork (which requires them to work with US officials),  they are denied access.

So will Canada change the status of the USA to 'unsafe' therefore allowing easier access to Canada from the USA?   They should if they really welcome these immigrants as much as some here claim they do.

#27 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

Last night while watching an episode of SCHITT'S CREEK on CBC, in a commercial break there was a blurb for THE NATIONAL  mentioning a story about how Canada is the new destination for migrant workers from Mexico due to a "more welcoming attitute" in the nation.

That's how all this illegal immigrant brou-ha gets strarted.  So I see a possible WALL being proposed between the U.S. and Canada to help stem the tide.  So, who's gonna pay for THAT?

Sepiatone

Finland should pay for it.  Just for the heck of it.

#28 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

Getting from Mexico to Canada should be easy in the future, just walk the Dakota pipeline. :lol:

41650c268f968ffa3e237d1a5a92913f.jpg

Edited by hamradio, 22 February 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#29 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users