We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Juvenile Actors: Separating the Kids from the Adults

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

For myself I follow the rule that someone who hasn't reached the age of seventeen in the year of release counts as juvenile. E.g. Molly Ringwald was born in 1968, so I nominated her for juvenile in 1984, but in 1985 she will have to compete with the grown-ups. In 1985 anyone born in 1969 or later counts as juvenile for me, but that's just a rule I invented for myself to draw the line somewhere.

Don't forget that a juvenile can also be nominated in the main category.

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#2 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

I would tend to think the age of 16 or possibly 17 at the time of filming constitutes a performance by a juvenile.  Generally you can subtract a year from the release date to get an approximation of when it was filmed.  So then I would look to the imdb to see what the birthdate is for the performer you are considering.  

• CoraSmith and JamesStewartFan95 like this

#3 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

As we are currently at the year 1985 in Bogie56's Awards Topic post, the problem resurfaces of deciding what constitutes a juvenile actor. What is the cutoff for who is considered a juvenile actor in a given year? For example, for 1955 I placed Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo in the Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor categories respectively, but for 1976 I chose Jodie Foster as the Best Juvenile Actor. What would be the case for The Breakfast Club?
  • CoraSmith likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users