We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

May 2017 TCM Spotlight Creature Features

Monsters Horror

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

What are your thoughts on the TCM Spotlight Creature Features? Please let me know with your comments. 

#2 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Last night on MeTv, Svengoolie presented the tv movie from 1972, Gargoyles. Starring Cornel Wilde, Jennifer Salt, Grayson Hall, Scott Glenn and Bernie Casey. The movie was interesting, but the plot has a few continuity errors that could have been fixed. It's the movie that won an emmy award for the late Stan Winston.

#3 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

Get ready for this Thursday, as TCM unveils more mayhem and destruction with the premiere of Rodan (1958), The Deadly Mantis (1957) from Universal Studios, The Black Scorpion (1957) from Warner Brothers, The Monster That Challenged the World (1957), The Giant Claw (1957) and Irwin Allen's Empire of the Ants (1977). All this and more starting Thursday May 11 at 8:00 p.m.

#4 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

What were the films that you saw on Thursday night for the debut of Creature Features? List the films below and you may each give your opinion of the film that you have seen on Thursday night on May 4.

#5 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,081 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

I was looking up a great monster flick that could have made it more interesting. The Alligator People (1959) starring Lon Chaney Jr. The story is hokey and the tone and style of it is pretty camp. But it is something to think about since it is a late-night creature feature with something to look forward to. If it was added to the list.

THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE is on regularly on FMC.

#6 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,599 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

I was also thinking of something that TCM has never done before. They should have done a spotlight focusing on grind house films from the 1930s up until the 1970s. They range from different genres from moral story propaganda films to educational pictures to film noir, to nudie cuties, to teensploitaion, to beach party flicks, to biker films, to roughies, to gore fest, to prison films, to blaxploitation, to nazi exploitation.

sounds like their UNDERGROUND programming

:D

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#7 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

Half of the films that TCM will be screening for May, were also screened on another program where I got to learn information on Monster movies, Svengoolie. He screened some of the movies on his program form the 1990s to the 2000s decade. He currently screens Universal movies and is now showcasing monster flicks from Toho studios. Speaking of which, this week on Svengoolie, the film Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster (1964) will premiere on Svengoolie on Saturday at 10:00 Eastern/9:00 Central on MeTv. I get the information about the movies cast and skits related to the movie on his show and its hysterical.

• mr6666 likes this

#8 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Where in the hell did you get this information?!?!

See: http://www.aarp.org/...reviews-bn.html.

Sorry -- I meant to include that link in my previous post.

#9 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Where in the hell did you get this information?!?!

#10 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

TCM's Spotlight on Creature Features, which begins on May 4 at 8:00PM EST, will be hosted by broadcaster and political satirist Dennis Miller. A long-time veteran of Saturday Night Live​, where he famously anchored the Weekend Update segment from 1985 to 1990, Miller subsequently hosted his own long-running talk show, first on HBO and then on CNBC. In recent years, Miller has continued to tour as a stand-up comedian and has been a familiar face on the now-defunct Fox News program The O'Reilly Factor​, where he offered usually acerbic, frequently humorous brand of conservative political commentary.

Miller previously appeared on TCM in 2009 as a guest programmer alongside the late Robert Osborne. During that appearance, Miller confessed that "I draw solace, really--in a world I sometimes think has gone mad--from Turner Classic Movies."

Miller explains in an interview promoting TCM's festival of classic B-horror movies, why he is a natural fit to host the series:

"I have a collection of about 300 VHS tapes of these old science fiction films from my later youth. I was always fascinated by them, not because they're David Lean films, but because they're 'lean' films. I guess TCM didn't have anyone else stepping forward and saying ,"Yeah, I'll take the giant tarantula movies.' So it seemed kind of provident that I volunteered for that duty."

1140-weekend-preview-dennis-miller-tmc.i

​Dennis Miller, in studio for TCM last week, will host the channel's festival of B-horror movies each Thursday night in May.

#11 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,403 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

I was also thinking of something that TCM has never done before. They should have done a spotlight focusing on grind house films from the 1930s up until the 1970s. They range from different genres from moral story propaganda films to educational pictures to film noir, to nudie cuties, to teensploitaion, to beach party flicks, to biker films, to roughies, to gore fest, to prison films, to blaxploitation, to nazi exploitation.

Grind House films:   I had to Google this to find out about it.      I agree that focusing on this would make for some interesting programming,  especially if TCM showed 2 - 3 films from each decade as well as the different genres you mentioned.

#12 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

They omitted Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster (1964), it's a great monster movie from Toho Studios in Japan.

#13 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

I meant to say Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). The last monster movie from Universal's hall of movie monsters.

#14 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Tune in next week on Thursday for the first night of the TCM Spotlight starting with a danish monster movie entitled Reptilicus (1961).

• mr6666 likes this

#15 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

#16 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

I was looking up a great monster flick that could have made it more interesting. The Alligator People (1959) starring Lon Chaney Jr. The story is hokey and the tone and style of it is pretty camp. But it is something to think about since it is a late-night creature feature with something to look forward to. If it was added to the list.

• mr6666 likes this

#17 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Rodan (1958) is the story of a group of miners in Japan that end up discovering a Pteranodon that has woken up thanks to the atomic bomb tests from the United States. The film is inspired by incidents from the 1948 accident involving a man chasing a ufo only to get killed while in flight. Another inspiration for Rodan is the film Them! (1954) which will also be shown on this spotlight. It is a superb film and features some of the same cast and crew from Godzilla (1954) including director Ishiro Honda. For this film, I award it 4 out of 4 stars.  

• mr6666 likes this

#18 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

I have not seen the film Rodan (1958), but I got an update from my favorite horror host that he is screening the movie on his show on April 8. It will be my first time watching this monster movie. I have been watching Svengoolie on MeTv. He is funny, informative, and one of the smartest people in the world.

#19 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

The Marineland sequences are where they shot the gill man being held as a tourist attraction in Revenge of the Creature. It also was the same place where Richard Carlson's character was working at in Creature from the Black Lagoon. That is not where the Gill man lives.

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,403 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Have any of you guys been to the theme park called Marineland in Florida? That's where they shot the sequences in Creature from the Black Lagoon and Revenge of the Creature. The park is still functional, but it's now a facility where you would have encounters with dolphins and play fun activities in the park.

I'm confused;   Wasn't Marineland a salt water park?   I know the one in So Cal was.

I ask because before you said "lives in the lake of Silver Springs in the Ocala county".     Lakes are freshwater and the original film's setting wasn't the ocean but inland water based locations (i.e. a fresh water lake),  right?

(Revenge, which I haven't seen in years has so ocean scenes if I recall correctly).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Monsters, Horror

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users