We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Jack and David Cassidy

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Does Jack Haley (Tin Man from Wizard of Oz) resemble Jack Cassidy?  I think they have the same eyes.

#2 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

Nipkowdisc...thanks for those links to "Summer Days" and "24 Hours A Day".  Haven't heard them in a long time.   David Cassidy had one of the best singing voices back then - and he was only 20-22 years old at the time.  He had a nice, sexy, breathy quality to his voice - very distinctive.  I could listen to that singing voice all day long.   I remember as a little kid, I used to play the Partridge Family record over and over - that was my first album.....the good old days.

TikiSoo - I think David Cassidy said he didn't dislike playing Keith Partridge, but he didn't like that people thought he was Keith and he lost his identity along the way....he was afraid people wouldn't like the real person - and he felt a fraud when people built him up to be this squeaky, clean, wholesome thing, like Keith Partridge...and he was far from it in real life.   

#3 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,816 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Partridge Family. Super yucky. I'll take the Manson Family

any day. I figure Cassidy was one of those guys who had

a certain  amount of talent, got a lucky break and rode it

as far as he could, but didn't have enough talent to make

it as a solo act without the family. Happens all the time.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#4 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

I had 4 of them partridge family LPs.

I loved that early 70s partridge sound.

Kept your Cowsills albums right next to 'em TOO I'll bet, didn't ya ND. ;)

(...and back when you sported "long beautiful hair, shining, gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen" locks, huh)

• Sepiatone likes this

#5 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

newclassicfilmfan asked: Do you think he really hated playing Keith?   I think maybe after a while, he grew tired of it....but I think he liked all that fame for a while.

According to Danny Bonaduce's incredibly excellent book RANDOM ACTS OF BADNESS, once David Cassidy became a phenomenon, the producers of the show went into Colonel Parker mode.

They saw the audience positive reactions to Danny Partridge's snotty comeback lines and focused on that. They gave Danny more snappy lines, screen time and situations to exploit his "adult kid" persona. (which reflected Bonaduce's real life personality)

They also decided to "dumb down" Cassidy's Keith charactor as a foil. Cassidy HATED that (who wouldn't?) making him look the equivalent of the "dumb blonde".
Similar fate Ted Knight had playing Ted Baxter, the humiliation of public perception you are truly a dope. People believe the charactor, not good acting. Knight required regular "pep talks" from his producers, reassuring him no one really thought he was "dumb".

According to Bonaduce's book, David Cassidy like any typical 19-20 year old with new found fame & fortune, just partied and hoed around. (Danny got his leftovers, haha)
I bet all that fame, along with the hollowness that goes with it, just worked against him as a young adult. Very few can work with that baggage....Debbie Reynolds & Bill Shatner are two who come to mind that succeeded at reinventing themselves.

• Dargo likes this

#6 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,931 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

I had 4 of them partridge family LPs.

I loved that early 70s partridge sound.

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#7 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

I recall that "Rock Me Baby" song and video....think he was definitely trying to dispel that wholesome Keith Partridge image with that song...along with that Rolling Stone magazine article and photos.   Didn't work though - everyone still thought he was squeaky clean. :D

#8 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,492 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

David released about eight or so LPs between '72 and '08, so he really didn't give it up too soon.

A friend of mine had his "Rock me Baby" LP from '72.  Wasn't too bad.  Not what you'd call HARD HITTING rock, but decent enough.  And it had some respected names contributing on it.  Like:

LARRY CARLTON

TOM SCOTT  and

KIM CARNES.

He did some respectable enough guitar work on it too.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#9 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

Nipkowdisc - wow, thanks for posting that youtube link.  Never heard of that song.    Oh my....that sexy voice he had back then.   Now, if you can find that song "24 Hours A Day".....and "Summer Days"....  The way he sang certain words and looked into the camera with those bedroom eyes and that smile.....made every girl swoon back then.    

Do you think he really hated playing Keith?   I think maybe after a while, he grew tired of it....but I think he liked all that fame for a while.

#10 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,931 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

I think David Cassidy's hatred of playing Keith Partridge was so great it actually made him good in the role.

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#11 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Jack Cassidy was underrated...he was the best villain Colombo ever had.

TikiSoo - David Cassidy gave up the career at 24 years old when he left Partridge Family - he was burnt out, beset with personal issues and virtually disappeared for 10 years...so I think that is what ruined any potential career.  He had good acting skills, a phenomenal singing voice - and those incredible good looks....he could have gone far - but I also think Partridge Family ruined his chance at being considered a serious dramatic actor....people never stopped thinking of him as that squeaky clean, wholesome Keith Partridge...

#12 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,492 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

Smart casting choice by the producers.  Cassidy's usual persona was the perfect  contrast to Knight's Ted, who did THAT character to perfection, so Jack being his brother, and as most brothers ARE  a contrast to each other( I know me and MY brother were) it HAD to work well.

Sepiatone

• TikiSoo likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#13 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

newclassicfilmfan wrote: It's too bad David Cassidy didn't have more success as a solo singer after Partridge Family 

I like both your posts about Cassidy. 

I think he had a tough time shaking the teen idol image. Even with all that charisma, charm and talent David has! Makes me wonder what "makes" and "breaks" a career? Management? Temperament? I sure wish there was more stuff of his out there-both singing & acting.

Binged watched MTM show last summer and when Ted's brother arrived and was Jack Cassidy-I howled in laughter! While I love Jack Cassidy, in retrospect he would have been too slick as Ted Baxter. Knight brought an insecurity to the role that confident Cassidy was perfect to play against.

#14 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

I resurrected this thread cause I happened to hear the song "Cherish" from way back in the early '70's....I am used to the "Association" version - but this one was sung by David Cassidy (I think he was only 22 when he sang it).....and he knocked it out of the ballpark.  Way better than the "Association" version with so much more emotion to it.   It's too bad David Cassidy didn't have more success as a solo singer after Partridge Family with such a phenomenal, unique, breathy singing voice.  He actually had one of the best singing voices I've heard.  This is also on youtube....wow, great stuff.

#15 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

I did not know Jack Cassidy was offered the Ted Knight role in Mary Tyler Moore show.   I can see him playing that role...but I loved Ted Knight in that role too.  I think Jack's best work was on Colombo episodes - although I never heard him sing.

I saw David in a Marcus Welby episode - he was about 18 years old - before Partridge Family.  He was quite a good actor.  I read somewhere that he wanted to be an actor more than a singer.   

#16 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

I never saw Barry Williams on Bonanza - is that the guy who played Greg Brady on Brady Bunch?

I always liked Jack Cassidy - on Colombo episodes best of all......he did have a great smile.   But I don't think he was very nice to his son David from what I read.....always critical of him and then became jealous of his own son eclipsing his fame.

I thought David had the same smile and eyes as his father...they looked alike.

As for egos - I think Jack had a big ego...but never thought of David Cassidy having a big ego...he seemed more delicate and sensitive....seemed to always be very nice to fans and media.

As I recall, David retired from the business at 24 years old and then reestablished himself 10 years after that and he's been doing concerts for many years.....I think he didn't like the fluff of Partridge Family and although it catapulted him to instant fame, it also stifled his future career. I  think he wanted to be a rock star...but he could never get rid of that teen heartthrob status

Partridge Family was intended to have Shirley Jones as lead singer - and her stepson David was only hired for his looks - shortly after the premiere of that show, he mentioned he could sing as well and he then became the lead singer in that show.....I read Shirley was happy for him even though she then had a lesser role - because David had a tough childhood and she was glad he was successful at something.

I think up until 3 years ago - Cassidy had a pretty good career - his drinking finally caught up with him.....

In his hey day - he was about the most gorgeous looking guy...the hair, the smile, the eyes, the way he moved, the way he sang into the camera...and made every girl in school - and even the adult women...swoon.

I remember Davy Jones was the heart throb before David Cassidy....but I thought Cassidy was much better looking.

#17 yogiboo

yogiboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

I remember David on Bonanza as well as also seeing Barry Williams on it. The studio system was alive and well in television back then. Many actors were under contract to the studios and appeared in all the dramas & sitcoms of the day. I watched so much tv in the 70's and kept seeing all the same faces on Mod Squad or Marcus Welby, etc that it was how I got acquainted with many of the names  & faces. 

Jack was known to have quite the massive ego and I guess he must have wondered why a talented guy like himself didn't have a more illustrious career. But I always liked him and his 1000 kilowatt smile. Perhaps if he had been around during the current day he would have been well thought of.

David seems to have inherited his dad's ego, from what I understand but somehow I feel bad that his career didn't take off after the Partirdge Family. 

#18 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Jack Cassidy was on several episodes of game show Match Game.

I didn't realize David Cassidy was on an episode of Bonanza before the Partridge Family...he must have been about 17 years old in that Bonanza episode.  He acted great....maybe the Partridge Family really ruined any possible acting career for him...and he was definitely under-appreciated as a singer too.    He had a terrific singing voice.....   what a shame that's he's suffering with illness now.  He was stunningly handsome in his hey day.

• Janet0312 and Sepiatone like this

#19 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

Right after that scene, Ted Cassidy became known as Hopalong Cassidy.

And I assume you knew that Lurch was the great-grandson of Butch Cassidy?

#20 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

The Cassidy who played Gomez and Morticia's butler on TV, AND who Paul Newman kicks in the nuts as he's about to explain the rules of the knife fight they're about to have in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID is no relation to Jack or David, right?!

Right after that scene, Ted Cassidy became known as Hopalong Cassidy.

I'm a big boy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users