We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Jack and David Cassidy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

I did not know Jack Cassidy was offered the Ted Knight role in Mary Tyler Moore show.   I can see him playing that role...but I loved Ted Knight in that role too.  I think Jack's best work was on Colombo episodes - although I never heard him sing.

I saw David in a Marcus Welby episode - he was about 18 years old - before Partridge Family.  He was quite a good actor.  I read somewhere that he wanted to be an actor more than a singer.   

#2 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

I never saw Barry Williams on Bonanza - is that the guy who played Greg Brady on Brady Bunch?

I always liked Jack Cassidy - on Colombo episodes best of all......he did have a great smile.   But I don't think he was very nice to his son David from what I read.....always critical of him and then became jealous of his own son eclipsing his fame.

I thought David had the same smile and eyes as his father...they looked alike.

As for egos - I think Jack had a big ego...but never thought of David Cassidy having a big ego...he seemed more delicate and sensitive....seemed to always be very nice to fans and media.

As I recall, David retired from the business at 24 years old and then reestablished himself 10 years after that and he's been doing concerts for many years.....I think he didn't like the fluff of Partridge Family and although it catapulted him to instant fame, it also stifled his future career. I  think he wanted to be a rock star...but he could never get rid of that teen heartthrob status

Partridge Family was intended to have Shirley Jones as lead singer - and her stepson David was only hired for his looks - shortly after the premiere of that show, he mentioned he could sing as well and he then became the lead singer in that show.....I read Shirley was happy for him even though she then had a lesser role - because David had a tough childhood and she was glad he was successful at something.

I think up until 3 years ago - Cassidy had a pretty good career - his drinking finally caught up with him.....

In his hey day - he was about the most gorgeous looking guy...the hair, the smile, the eyes, the way he moved, the way he sang into the camera...and made every girl in school - and even the adult women...swoon.

I remember Davy Jones was the heart throb before David Cassidy....but I thought Cassidy was much better looking.

#3 yogiboo

yogiboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

I remember David on Bonanza as well as also seeing Barry Williams on it. The studio system was alive and well in television back then. Many actors were under contract to the studios and appeared in all the dramas & sitcoms of the day. I watched so much tv in the 70's and kept seeing all the same faces on Mod Squad or Marcus Welby, etc that it was how I got acquainted with many of the names  & faces. 

Jack was known to have quite the massive ego and I guess he must have wondered why a talented guy like himself didn't have a more illustrious career. But I always liked him and his 1000 kilowatt smile. Perhaps if he had been around during the current day he would have been well thought of.

David seems to have inherited his dad's ego, from what I understand but somehow I feel bad that his career didn't take off after the Partirdge Family. 

#4 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Jack Cassidy was on several episodes of game show Match Game.

I didn't realize David Cassidy was on an episode of Bonanza before the Partridge Family...he must have been about 17 years old in that Bonanza episode.  He acted great....maybe the Partridge Family really ruined any possible acting career for him...and he was definitely under-appreciated as a singer too.    He had a terrific singing voice.....   what a shame that's he's suffering with illness now.  He was stunningly handsome in his hey day.

• Janet0312 and Sepiatone like this

#5 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

Right after that scene, Ted Cassidy became known as Hopalong Cassidy.

And I assume you knew that Lurch was the great-grandson of Butch Cassidy?

#6 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

The Cassidy who played Gomez and Morticia's butler on TV, AND who Paul Newman kicks in the nuts as he's about to explain the rules of the knife fight they're about to have in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID is no relation to Jack or David, right?!

Right after that scene, Ted Cassidy became known as Hopalong Cassidy.

I'm a big boy.

#7 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

I can have some sympathy for David Cassidy who I think suffered from the same malady that assails other youngsters of celebrities when they reach higher pinnacles of success than mother or father.

I seem to remember back in the day that Jack who was most talented had a bit of a problem that his son had eclipsed him in fame and popularity. One would think one with his looks and prestigious place in theatrical history would be glad his progeny was doing well, but I think he was quite jealous of David's success and whether that has any bearing on what followed who knows.

I remember once reading that even someone of the stature of Robert Montgomery had green eyes regarding his daughter Elizabeth's fame and tv series, which seems unconscionable for a star of his magnitude. She said once I believe "I think my father doesn't like me too much" and I may be paraphrasing but such a state is a sad one in my estimation.

#8 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

TED CASSIDY (1932-1979) was more likely to be related to RICHARD KIEL than Jack or David Cassidy.  :P

Also, 'john_m':  I believe you're thinking of MARTY INGELS (1936-2015) instead of MARTY ALLEN. 

(Marty Allen is still with us at age 94.  Soon to be 95 later this month).

JACK CASSIDY made a couple of appearances on the '70s version of MATCH GAME with Gene Rayburn.  On one episode of MATCH GAME '75 Jack opened the show wearing these big, blue electrical gloves and when Gene asked what he was doing he said 'My name is Alec' and then continued 'Alec Trician'.  

• Dargo likes this

#9 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

So lemme get somethin' straight here...

The Cassidy who played Gomez and Morticia's butler on TV, AND who Paul Newman kicks in the nuts as he's about to explain the rules of the knife fight they're about to have in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID is no relation to Jack or David, right?!

(...nor for THAT matter was related to Butch, right?!)

;)

#10 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

Benny and Barney:  Las Vegas Undercover (1977) C-76m.  D:  Ron Satlof. 

Starring Terry "Dead Bernie" Kiser, Tim Thomerson, Jack Colvin (who later got a nice Tv gig on "The Incredible Hulk"), Jane Seymour, Jack Cassidy, Hugh O'Brian, Pat Harrington, Rodney Dangerfield, Marty Allen, George Gobel, Bobby Troup, Dick Gautier. 

PLOT:  Cops moonlight as Vegas performers to thwart kidnapping of top entertainer.  Banal adventure; busted Tv pilot.  Below Average      

Another JACK CASSIDY tele-pic → The Phantom of Hollywood (1974-Tvm) C-78m.    

So both of Shirley Jones' husband appeared in this one!

#11 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Funny story about David Cassidy:

I was at a cabaret performance, featuring Patti LuPone, about ten years ago. All night long my date kept "spotting" celebrities in the audience, and every time I looked, she was wrong. After 4 or 5 of these "sightings," I just started saying "yeah, okay," without bothering to check. Then she grabs my arm and whispers "David Cassidy ... he's right behind us." I snicker ... she insists ... I snicker some more. But she also says "don't turn around." So how am I supposed to check? Finally, I do a fake cough, and turn my head ... and damned if she wasn't right.

• Sepiatone likes this

I'm a big boy.

#12 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

If you're seeking more info on JACK CASSIDY you can go to  findadeath.com  and read about what happened early in the morning on Dec. 12, 1976.  It is noted Cassidy owned the building he resided in and lived on the top floor.  There's lots of other nuggets of info there, too.  Like his Death Certificate.  Some of the info is morbid since he didn't die of natural causes surrounded by loving family members.  He was 49.   

Jack appeared in a number of made-for-television films, including one that was aired on television after his death.  Dig this tele-flick review from the 1990 Leonard Maltin's TV Movies and Video Guide:

Benny and Barney:  Las Vegas Undercover (1977) C-76m.  D:  Ron Satlof. 

Starring Terry "Dead Bernie" Kiser, Tim Thomerson, Jack Colvin (who later got a nice Tv gig on "The Incredible Hulk"), Jane Seymour, Jack Cassidy, Hugh O'Brian, Pat Harrington, Rodney Dangerfield, Marty Allen, George Gobel, Bobby Troup, Dick Gautier. 

PLOT:  Cops moonlight as Vegas performers to thwart kidnapping of top entertainer.  Banal adventure; busted Tv pilot.  Below Average      

Another JACK CASSIDY tele-pic → The Phantom of Hollywood (1974-Tvm) C-78m.    

#13 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,682 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

I dug Jack from his turn on the Prentiss-Benjamin "He&She" .  In many of his subsequent roles he generally played the same type of character, but he did it so well that I didn't seem to mind. 

Yeah, I remember girls going nuts over David.  The shame of it all(to me) was that after THE PRTRIDGE FAMILY, nobody took him too seriously as a musician.  I can't recall where, but I heard him play guitar on some rock tune on a live recording as a "walk-on" guest of the person whose concert it was and shred some mighty fine guitar.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#14 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Thank you for this thread.

I was one of those teens completely in love with David Cassidy. (too old for Brady Bunch when they came along) I still melt a little whenever I see his face on TV and he still looks great to me. The "teenage crush" thing must be weird from his side of it. I much enjoyed his hearing his brother, Shaun Cassidy, express the fan worship aspects on Oprah several years back.

But when I saw Jack Cassidy for the first time, it was "David who"? I think it was an episode of Bewitched where Jack interplayed with  the Serena charactor. I took note of his name and was informed he was David's Dad. Wow. Jack Cassidy is just one of those talented, charismatic hams and so right to play swooner John Barrymore. Errol Flynn also has this quality but with a boyish twist. 

In my LP collecting travels I came across a Broadway soundtrack SUPERMAN, I think. I gave the LP friend to a collector friend of mine, but I could just imagine Jack Cassidy on stage. In anything. 

An under represented talent, wish there was more film footage of him. I'd never suggest unappreciated.

#15 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:05 AM

Never heard that story about a "female led" show. Remember JC had played a very similar character on an earlier sitcom from the creators of MTMS, He & She (1967). He may not have wanted to repeat himself.

6qgZIg0.jpg

JC made only a handful of theatrical features. He's okay as John Barrymore in WC Fields & Me, although the script gives him little to do. He comes off much better as the effete spy in Eastwood's Eiger Sanction. He's also amusing in the notorious Bunny O'Hare -- he's the best thing in that Bette Davis-Borgnine curio.

He got better roles on TV -- not only the three Columbos but also the defense lawyer in The Andersonville Trial (1970), for which he received an Emmy nomination. Cassidy manages to rise above the amazing all star cast -- indeed, George C Scott (who directed) implied he might have been too good, as he made his character more sympathetic than intended.

Jack also did a very funny cameo on Get Smart as "Mr Bob", an interior decorator who turns out to be not what he seems.

N7V1jyZ.jpg

• TikiSoo likes this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#16 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

I don't know about Jack Cassidy in film; but he was in an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show where he appeared as Ted Baxter's brother Hal.  Apparently, he was offered the role of Ted Baxter, but he turned it down because he didn't want to appear on a "female led" show.  Big mistake Jack.  However, it was a coup for Ted Knight.  I cannot imagine anyone else but Ted Knight as Ted Baxter.

While I prefer The Brady Bunch to The Partridge Family and even prefer Barry Williams to David Cassidy, dementia is a horrible disease, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I wish David the best of luck and hope that he's able to live a long (and good) life despite his horrific diagnosis.  

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#17 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

Saw a few great episodes of Colombo with Jack Cassidy....those are my favorite Colombo episodes.   I was wondering if he was in any movies?

As for his son David Cassidy - sad to hear of his medical problems.   I remember him from Partridge Family days...one of the most beautiful faces....and the hair, voice and eyes....every girl would swoon over him.   I just watched "24 Hours A Day" on youtube....he sounded and looked so good - wow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users