We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#1 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,779 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

I miss Robert Osborne very much. I've been a viewer of TCM since it started and Robert Osborne was its face from the beginning. What most hurts is to see his replacement, this guy called "menkenstein" or "menkevitch" or something!  Really!  Have you heard him speak? He QUACKS like a DUCK and always has to chop the air in front of him with his hands like a knife!  He should be a butcher, not a film presenter!  If we can't have Robert Osborne again, please let this butcher go!  Please!

I have meet Ben and he is a very nice man.    As "Barton" points out Ben is very knowledgeable about studio-era films.   Osborne and Ben were very close and Robert had a lot of respect for Ben.

Show some class.  Please!

• midnight08 likes this

#2 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

I miss Robert Osborne very much. I've been a viewer of TCM since it started and Robert Osborne was its face from the beginning. What most hurts is to see his replacement, this guy called "menkenstein" or "menkevitch" or something!  Really!  Have you heard him speak? He QUACKS like a DUCK and always has to chop the air in front of him with his hands like a knife!  He should be a butcher, not a film presenter!  If we can't have Robert Osborne again, please let this butcher go!  Please!

TCM's primetime host, Ben Mankiewicz, has been appearing on the channel as a regular host since 2003, proving himself to be a knowledgeable and respectful guide through classic movies.

If you actually knew anything about classic films and the people who made them, then you would know that Ben is the grandson of CITIZEN KANE screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz and the great-nephew of ALL ABOUT EVE director Joseph Mankiewicz. 

• mr6666, lavenderblue19 and midnight08 like this

#3 Sam Mac

Sam Mac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

#4 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:32 AM

Man, man, o, man, he certainly was a popular guy, huh :)  :D

One of the few debits I can think of in regard to our late & beloved TCM Host-(I fear, how our network is changing & not for the better either) Mr. 0sborne may have been the beginning of the end of Turner Classic Movies??? :(

But, Lucille Ball-(l9ll-l989) is well known to really give him a boost & somewhat discover Robert. 1 thing she was way off on-(& I KNOW MANY WILL BE UPSET ABOUT THIS)

But, I've seen all of his performances & more then once too & unfortunately Robert was no *Spencer Tracy or Cary Grant, at least in that dept

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

(P.S. This is somewhat important as well.  Does anyone know or know of MR. GEORGE BURDELL?> He owned a companion pc website to this one (classicmovieguide.com) & we used to correspond a bit-(2006/07 or so was last I heard of the guy?)

He even wrote a story on his visit to the station in GA-(Atlanta) described Robert & how they had to break for such & such while filming  George didn't get to go on the air, he was just a lucky visitor one day :(  :(  :(

#5 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

Just found this. So glad. Wishing a Happy Father's Day to everyone's @tcm dad.

DCoRxtzUAAAR3CO.jpg

This picture was taken at the TCM Classic Movie Memorabilia Auction at Bonham's in New York City on November 23, 2015.

• jakeem and sherry.johnson like this

#6 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

More

Just found this. So glad. Wishing a Happy Father's Day to everyone's @tcm dad.

DCoRxtzUAAAR3CO.jpg

#7 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,957 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

This idea has been brought up on several threads since Bob's passing and probably has previously been brought up on this long thread (I'm too lazy too look!). I'm not opposed to the idea personally - Bob made a lot of interesting picks in the past - but I don't think it's going to happen. As cold as it may sound, TCM has to look forward. Also, no matter how they framed it - whether Ben introduced Bob, who then introduced the movies or whatever - it would lead to confusion. I swear, someone would come on here and ask is Bob still alive? TCM would have to put some kind of disclaimers on the screen, I think, so that people would now this is not new or previously unseen material. 

I think we will continue to see Bob's presence on the network mainly in the form of re-airings of his various Private Screenings and TCM Film Festival interviews, when they're relevant to a night's or a month's theme.

Yes, it would be confusing to some viewers and upset others. I think a yearly edition of Bob's picks would work and be appropriate. (with Ben doing the hosting).

#8 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:10 AM

Note a bad idea,  but ensure you watch a Gene Tierney movie.

Gene Tierney was is favorite actress

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,779 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Was watching QVC today, and during his presentation Isaac Mizrahi (designer), was discussing his love for ice cream and said he was a friend of Robert's and that at his memorial service the host  told everyone in honor of Robert to go home, watch a movie and eat a pint of ice cream.  That it was Robert's favorite thing also.

Note a bad idea,  but ensure you watch a Gene Tierney movie.

#10 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:43 AM

Has anyone seen the item I posted about a special collectors edition book on Robert?

It's me again & apparently & possibly due to $finances$ there doesn't seem to be such a book on the horizon, sadly

Or even a "NP Guide" size pamphlet???

WHAT THE.......

#11 Jelly67

Jelly67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

Was watching QVC today, and during his presentation Isaac Mizrahi (designer), was discussing his love for ice cream and said he was a friend of Robert's and that at his memorial service the host  told everyone in honor of Robert to go home, watch a movie and eat a pint of ice cream.  That it was Robert's favorite thing also.

#12 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

Has anyone seen the item I posted about a special collectors edition book on Robert?

• spence likes this

#13 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

This idea has been brought up on several threads since Bob's passing and probably has previously been brought up on this long thread (I'm too lazy too look!). I'm not opposed to the idea personally - Bob made a lot of interesting picks in the past - but I don't think it's going to happen. As cold as it may sound, TCM has to look forward. Also, no matter how they framed it - whether Ben introduced Bob, who then introduced the movies or whatever - it would lead to confusion. I swear, someone would come on here and ask is Bob still alive? TCM would have to put some kind of disclaimers on the screen, I think, so that people would now this is not new or previously unseen material. 

I think we will continue to see Bob's presence on the network mainly in the form of re-airings of his various Private Screenings and TCM Film Festival interviews, when they're relevant to a night's or a month's theme.

#14 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Throwing out an idea here. 

... How would folks feel if there continued to be monthly Bob's Picks, drawing on what has already been done?  Repeating the picks from 10 or 15 or 20 years ago.  Most likely with Ben doing the hosting and drawing on Robert's own introductions.  Or possibly with a guest host.  Would it be too much if Robert's original recorded intros and outros were used?

Is this idea way off base or is there something to it?  I see it as a way to remember and honor Robert Osborne, to continue to draw on his passion for classic film.  Bob's Picks always gave us particular insight into his tastes and what he most wanted to personally convey to the audience.  I think there is ongoing value to his decades of contributions.

I think this is a great idea, an effective way to give Bob's TCM legacy more meaning for current viewers.  Anything he said in his past intros for the films he chose for "Bob's Picks" would still be relevant, so why not use them?  Perhaps Ben could introduce Bob, kind of like his introductions to the Private Screenings interviews during the Osborne tribute weekend.

I'd love to see Bob have a continuing role on TCM, and re-running Bob's Picks would be a good way to do it.

#15 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

TELL A COUPLE OF US WHAT YOU THINK,  PLEEEASE

HEARD FROM A FELLA & ANOTHER I CORRECPOND WITH  & DON'T UNDERSTAND ME:  MR. EDDIE MULLER IS MY FAVORITE CHOIICE TO MOSTLY NOW FILL INTO ROBERT'S BIG SHOUSE!

THGEN LEONARD MALTIN-0(950-) ABSOLUTELY NOBODY KNOWS ME ABOUT MOVIES & ESPECIALLY HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE/SIILENT ERA, YOU BET!

#16 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Don't know if any other TCM-ITE touched on this, but I briefly read-(over a week ago) Robert chose to be interred in CT

#17 freerein

freerein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

I just saw the thread re: Alec Baldwin hosting "The Essentials", on Saturdays.

I'm good with that. He and Robert Osborne jelled. I really enjoyed those two together, the camaraderie and  the good natured sparring on some topics,  especially in a couple of the outtakes we had privy to.

If the baton has to be passed, I am glad it's being passed to Alec Baldwin.

That being said, I'll miss Mr. Osborne to the core of me.

• midnight08, MCannady1 and im4cinema2 like this

#18 midnight08

midnight08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

I received the May issue of "Now Playing" magazine and saw Ben's tribute to Robert on the first page.  The first thought that struck me was "oh my gosh; no more Robert Osborne".  For all these years the first thing I would do when I received the latest "Now Playing" was to read Robert's write up on the star of the month or theme of the month. Every write up ended with his "Robert O. signature".  How strange not to see it!  Ben has his own style of writing and even he admitted in his tribute that it wasn't up to par with Robert's style.  When I read the article on star of the month Clark Gable I wondered who wrote it because there was no name listed.  This was Robert's department. Now someone else will write it and the magazine will continue but without Robert's input. I felt a real void.

• MCannady1 and freerein like this

#19 BenHere

BenHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, MD

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

Throwing out an idea here. 

Ben introduced the last original evening of Bob's Picks the other night.  Choked me up quite a bit. 

But there are 20+ years of Bob's Picks.  Archived, maybe catalogued somewhere.  How would folks feel if there continued to be monthly Bob's Picks, drawing on what has already been done?  Repeating the picks from 10 or 15 or 20 years ago.  Most likely with Ben doing the hosting and drawing on Robert's own introductions.  Or possibly with a guest host.  Would it be too much if Robert's original recorded intros and outros were used?

Is this idea way off base or is there something to it?  I see it as a way to remember and honor Robert Osborne, to continue to draw on his passion for classic film.  Bob's Picks always gave us particular insight into his tastes and what he most wanted to personally convey to the audience.  I think there is ongoing value to his decades of contributions.

• catladywdc, dischabolique, MCannady1 and 2 others like this

#20 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

Ever had a favorite uncle you loved  who passed away?  You go back to visit your widowed aunt's house and some how there is a melancholy feeling in the air with him gone.  Whoever steps in as the new host that's how I will always feel when I visit TCM.

• calvinnme, rover27, MCannady1 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users