We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#301 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

Very sad moment for both TCM and its viewing audience.

A class act and a great interviewer and a true film historian who will be missed.

Goodbye, Sweet Prince [as was said when John Barrymore passed]...

#302 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

No more conversations between Robert and Alec Baldwin. I'll miss that - and I'm sure Alec is very sad today.

• Garth, chameleon, lydecker and 1 other like this

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#303 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

I haven't seen enough of Ben Mankewicz to say that it's the End of an Era, but Osborne was one of the Last Great Movie Hosts, back when every station had one.

The local host wasn't supposed to be a Film Expert--usually just the station voiceover--but if he could show enthusiasm in telling you that some 40's movie was smarter, more film-historic and more entertaining than it looked, it changed your viewpoint from "Silly late-night movies" to being able to tell them apart.

TCM's, of course, needed an expert, and Osborne was there for us.

Wonder if they're going to have to change his in-attraction appearance at Disney World, now?

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#304 torgie51

torgie51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

So sad to read of Mr Osborne's passing.  He is the reason I started watching TCM years ago.  He made me aware of films that I otherwise might not have seen.  He was a true professional and I will miss him terribly.

#305 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Whenever he introduced "The Best Years of Our Lives" he never failed to mention that many people(including Bette Davis) thought it was the best movie ever made. I got the feeling he may have thought so, too.

Those who know of other favorites of his should definitely post them.

• ziggyelman likes this

#306 rover27

rover27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

I think he also loved THE BAND WAGON (1953). That's a film he seemed to champion, because he felt it was unfairly in the shadows of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

Whenever he introduced "The Best Years of Our Lives" he never failed to mention that many people(including Bette Davis) thought it was the best movie ever made. I got the feeling he may have thought so, too.

I think he also loved THE BAND WAGON (1953). That's a film he seemed to champion, because he felt it was unfairly in the shadows of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

• ziggyelman likes this

#307 Golightly11

Golightly11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

This is heartbreaking. He conveyed so much warmth and friendliness, so that you always felt as if he was speaking to you directly about any given movie. He was a very comforting presence on screen. Even though he hadn't been on in over a year, there was still a glimmer of hope he'd be back. I'll miss him very much. This is truly the end of an era for TCM. There will never be another Robert Osborne. To a very classy man who taught us all so much, thank you and rest peacefully, Sir.
  • ziggyelman, rover27, DebraDancer and 3 others like this

#308 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Right.

#309 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,201 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

As a tribute, it might be appropriate for TCM to show some of Osborne's favorite films, including THE RAZOR'S EDGE and LAURA. I'm sure that management knows what they were.

• ziggyelman and Princess of Tap like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#310 rover27

rover27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

I'm so sad about this. TCM will go on but to me Robert Osborne and TCM were interchangeable. He was TCM. It was obvious he wasn't the same Robert the past few years he was on air, but it was still comforting to know he was there to carry on. How he will be missed.

When human decency seems to be now viewed as some kind of weakness these days, Robert always came across as true example of decency and class. And how badly we need that.

Godspeed, Robert. You were truly one of a kind.

• chameleon, ziggyelman and MovieCollectorOH like this

#311 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

It's a tough blow.  I was expecting this news, given his absence, but the blow is  no less deflating. I feel as though a member of the family or a good friend has died.  The spirit of Robert Osborne lives on in the institution that he helped create.  

As a tribute, it might be appropriate for TCM to show some of Osborne's favorite films, including THE RAZOR'S EDGE and LAURA. I'm sure that management knows what they were.

• mr6666 likes this

#312 macocael

macocael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

It's a tough blow.  I was expecting this news, given his absence, but the blow is  no less deflating. I feel as though a member of the family or a good friend has died.  The spirit of Robert Osborne lives on in the institution that he helped create.  

#313 mandyb78

mandyb78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

I am sad to see the news about Robert Osborne's passing. TCM won't be the same without him hosting. :( Rest well, Mr. Osborne. 

#314 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

So very sad to hear the news, but so very happy he spent his life doing what he loved. For those who haven't seen it, a look back at a very young actor:

• DebraDancer and rajmct01 like this

#315 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Wow. The death announcement Got its own "breaking news" banner atop CNN.com.

#316 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

The last film Robert Osborne introduced by himself was UNDER THE VOLCANO on February 21, 2016.

(For the record - He did introduce THE FRENCH CONNECTION but with guest programmer Candice Bergen on June 14, 2016.)

"They're not shining the stars as bright
They've stolen the joy from the night
Wish you were here
Wish you were here
Wish you were here"
Yancey

Thank you!
  • chameleon likes this

#317 drednm

drednm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

That's a sad shock. This classy man will be missed by millions of fans.

RIP, Bob.

#318 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Will miss you, Chum. Hope there's a great big movie theater where you're going.
  • TomJH, TopBilled, OBJ and 1 other like this

#319 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

RIP, Mr. Osborne.

#320 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

This wasn't unexpected, but you Will be missed.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Osborne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users